GTS 250 New Battery, fully charged bike won't start
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GTS250
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:19 pm quote
Yuasa battery seems to have evaporated in this heat and I had a new, in the box sealed cell battery which I bought ahead of time to be ready. Pulled out the old dropped in the new and nothing. Found out that not all batteries have the negative on the left and positive on the right (looking from right side of bike) Called the retailer who had another battery with the terminals in the same postion as the old battery. Brought it home, put it in. Checked the fuse attached to the battery (its whole) but still nothing when turn the key, hit the start button. The kill switch is in the "run" position, the new battery is fully charged. Pulled the tub under the seat checked all fuses I could find and they are all fine.
What else should I be checking? It seems as though I am getting no electricity to the bike at all.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:32 pm quote
Re: GTS 250 New Battery, fully charged bike won't start
ellingwoodj wrote:
Yuasa battery seems to have evaporated in this heat and I had a new, in the box sealed cell battery which I bought ahead of time to be ready. Pulled out the old dropped in the new and nothing. Found out that not all batteries have the negative on the left and positive on the right (looking from right side of bike) Called the retailer who had another battery with the terminals in the same postion as the old battery. Brought it home, put it in. Checked the fuse attached to the battery (its whole) but still nothing when turn the key, hit the start button. The kill switch is in the "run" position, the new battery is fully charged. Pulled the tub under the seat checked all fuses I could find and they are all fine.
What else should I be checking? It seems as though I am getting no electricity to the bike at all.
Lights and all other electrical stuff working?

You are pulling one of the brake handle tight, right? Try them both. Also, try toggling the kill switch, perhaps it dirty

Miguel
GTS250
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:42 am quote
GTS 250 New Battery, fully charged bike won't start
No lights, no electrical at all. Did I damage something by connecting the red wire (positive) to the negative terminal on the battery with the reversed terminals?
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:23 am quote
ellingwoodj wrote:
No lights, no electrical at all. Did I damage something by connecting the red wire (positive) to the negative terminal on the battery with the reversed terminals?
possibly. I think there's a "master" 30amp fuse so place that may be blown. Look at the wiring diagram and fuses in manual. I don't have time to look at it this morn

Miguel
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:35 am quote
Yes, there's a master 30A fuse.

Page 54 onwards of the user manual:
https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Vespa/GTS250/
GTS250
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:49 am quote
no fuses in GTS glovebox
Thanks for the manual info. Strange thing is, the first thing i did was look for fuses in the glovebox and there were none.
I found the fuses under the seat and one connected to the battery and the are all fine. My 2008 GTS seems to have located its six protection fuses somewhere else. I also notice there is no mention in the manual about the fuse attached right off the positive terminal of the battery.
Anybody know where the protection fuses where other than the glovebox?
GTS250
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:57 am quote
This is what worries me

battery.JPG

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:14 am quote
If it's totally dead then almost certainly it's just a fuse. Now to find that fuse.

The main 30A fuse is one of the four under the seat. Don't just judge them by looking at them - get that multimeter out to measure them.

If you can't see the six fuses in the glovebox then the fuse block has been shoved through into the void behind. If you remove the left hand kneepad then you should be able to see it.

A fuse connected directly to the battery is almost certainly for an accessory - often for a battery maintainer pigtail, sometimes for a 12V outlet or heated grips.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2726s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0542s) ][ Debug on ]