Ethics of riding in the plague era?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123456Next
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 am quote
Figure most of us are about to face this question so it warranted a specific thread for discussion. If y'all beat it to death elsewhere we can remove it.

As of yesterday Idaho is shut down.

Aside from simply staying at home, my second easiest, most effective means of self isolating is to get on the scooter or moto-sickle and head out into the sticks, where I won't speak to or contact anyone for hour after hour, wrapped in layers of protective hasmat....

On the other hand, I think this is now illegal.

Idaho has only experienced one C19 death so far, and my wife actually had non-emergency angioplasty surgery on Tues., so I know the hospitals are currently empty. HOWEVER, there remains the ethical issue: if I get injured out there I'll be using medical resources potentially in short supply.

So, "to ride recreationally or not to ride?" That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the minds of men to follow the letter or the spirit of the law...?

"Luckily" impending crap weather gives me about a week to ponder this ethical dilemma.

But then I'll be missing out on lots of this, from Monday, only more verdant and tastier.

IMG_6784.jpg
Look, ma: no people!

Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:27 am quote
If you were walking, bicycling, or driving a car you could get hit and go to the hospital, too. You could have a heart attack simply getting out of bed. Minnesota just went to "stay at home" but there are exceptions including getting out for recreation. My recreation is riding a scooter (plus it's an isolated activity). I'd ride.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:29 am quote
What an amazing photograph!

I say ride.

The therapy required to make up for missing the bike rides will take valuable time away from others needing counseling more than you.

So get on the bike and take more beautiful photographs.

Bill

IMG_6259.JPG

Hooked
2005 Vespa LX 150, 2005 GT 200
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:35 am quote
I知 glad this question has been asked. We have been in a mandatory stay at home order for over a week now in NJ. We do have exceptions for going to essential services ie. Supermarket, doctors office, get gas etc. i guess if I get pulled over, I could always say that I知 on my way to essential services but I don稚 really feel comfortable fibbing. I wouldn稚 be stopping anywhere, just going out for a ride.

What should I do?
Addicted
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:35 am quote
I was out on the bike for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon, and will probably do the same today. I see nothing wrong with it, if you don't come into contact with other people.
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:37 am quote
Beautiful photo tdrake, I think you justified the ethics of riding in the plague era with that shot
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:37 am quote
You could slip and fall at home, as well, requiring medical assistance. As a healthcare worker who has directly taken care of Covid-19 patients, I can tell you that our system is being strained because of the volume of Covid-related admissions, not due to the "usual" patients we are also treating concomitantly.

My point is, while it's kind of you to consider others as you ponder whether or not to ride, I wouldn't base your entire decision on it. In fact, I wouldn't even heavily weigh it, given your location. Now if you were in NYC, Chicago, or Seattle? Different story...

As it is, you have to keep living your life. If you enjoy getting out on a nice long ride, call it "self-isolation" or whatever else you want, but my vote is that you keep doing it.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:40 am quote
I have committed myself to being part of the solution, not the problem, by not riding during the lockdown for the reasons you pointed out TDrake. The few times I've been out I've seen some cars, couple motorcycles but no scooters.

Best
Miguel
Piaggio BV350
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:40 am quote
I say ride.

Do day trips from your home.

Take a glove or wipe with you if you need to fill up along the way.

Take lunch with you, or get it through a drive-through... do not go in and sit down and eat.

If you are riding with a few friends, maintain distance at stops.

Don't go to parks that are already loaded with too many people.
Addicted
2016 Sprint S 150 (his), 2016 Sprint 150 Blu Gaiola (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Excalibur Gray (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Black (his), 2012 Kymco Downtown 200
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:41 am quote
Vermont has issued as of yesterday at 1700 hrs a stay at home order. We can only leave for essential reasons and they are listed. There is exercise listed but I don't think riding my scooter would classify. I can still take my 2 mile walks though.

As I am typing I am thinking I could take a scooter ride to some location to take a walk, thereby exercising. Might be a gray area but if I am stopped I can say I was exercising and this is how I got to the location.

The stay at home order is in effect until April 15.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:43 am quote
Re: Ethics of riding in the plague era?
tdrake wrote:
Figure most of us are about to face this question so it warranted a specific thread for discussion. If y'all beat it to death elsewhere we can remove it.

Aside from simply staying at home, my second easiest, most effective means of self isolating is to get on the scooter or moto-sickle and head out into the sticks, where I won't speak to or contact anyone for hour after hour, wrapped in layers of protective hasmat....

Idaho has only experienced one C19 death so far, and my wife actually had non-emergency angioplasty surgery on Tues., so I know the hospitals are currently empty. HOWEVER, there remains the ethical issue: if I get injured out there I'll be using medical resources potentially in short supply.

So, "to ride recreationally or not to ride?" That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the minds of men to follow the letter or the spirit of the law...?

"Luckily" impending crap weather gives me about a week to ponder this ethical dilemma.

But then I'll be missing out on lots of this, from Monday, only more verdant and tastier.
At this point it seems to be an academic question ... in my opinion better if you don't drive your two-wheeled vehicle, it doesn't make sense to do it now for many reasons. After this storm you will do it with greater happiness.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:45 am quote
As long as it's legal, go for it.

We're supposed to be shut down except for "essential services." Also a carve-out for helping elderly family members and recreation. The State also stated nobody's going to get stopped and questioned.

Traffic doesn't seem to have decreased much.

At any rate, I qualify for the first two (mom's an hour away). I guess it's not cramping my style much for now...
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:46 am quote
wbdvt wrote:
The stay at home order is in effect until April 15.
....to begin...
Ossessionato
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:47 am quote
[quote="rdhood"]get it through a drive-through...[/quot

And take disinfectant wipes or a water/bleach wetted rag to wipe down whatever you touch that could have been touched by the people behind the window. To avoid this virus, you have to be a fanatic.

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:09 am quote
In the UK as of today (Thurs 26th March) it's illegal to go for a drive or ride for recreational purposes. There's good reason for that. We can go out for essential shopping even if that means driving or riding to get there. I took the bike to get milk and bread yesterday but the government is asking us to shop only once a week wherever possible. Our police will be stopping people to check and enforcing the stay at home rule. It's kinda obvious why all this has come about...and it's designed to save lives. Currently, many are dying of all ages. Not good.

Stay safe everyone. Stay home is my advice.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 am quote
If you are in public and by yourself you will most likely not be paid any attention too. If you are with a group you will be looked at and maybe talked too.
In my area if you are in groups that do not live together the deputy will stop and ask the group to break up and if you don't you will be ticketed.
All pubic recreation areas and play grounds are closed, including recreation areas and play grounds in HOA community's that have them.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:11 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
If you were walking, bicycling, or driving a car you could get hit and go to the hospital, too. You could have a heart attack simply getting out of bed. Minnesota just went to "stay at home" but there are exceptions including getting out for recreation. My recreation is riding a scooter (plus it's an isolated activity). I'd ride.
I would make the argument, based on anecdotal evidence in these parts, that taking an excursive ride via bicycle puts one at higher risk of injury on account of inattentive motorists, as opposed to hopping on something with an engine.

Depending on the time of day, I'm seeing lots of motor traffic, and I've an inkling not all those folks are making purely-essential runs back-and-forth.

So, I say: take that ride, but be mindful.

melodylincolncenter.jpg
Manhattan, One Week Ago: Likely was a hot zone then, absolutely is now.

Last edited by amateriat on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 am quote
I think it's an easier decision (to go for a ride) for those of us living in suburban or rural areas. I live outside of Madison, in an area of little traffic. While I am still vigilant, I am also aware that the drivers in my area have less to (legitimately) pay attention to.

A friend of mine lives in Manhattan. Can't even go outside for a walk without bumping into people. Not like that where I live, not by a long shot.

As to the ethics of it, I'd say go for a ride. No one is deliberately using medical assistance right now; some people are acting unwisely by getting together in groups. In my opinion, as long as you are trying to separate from others, you are doing what you are 'supposed' to be doing. Besides, as noted above you could also fall in the shower, have a heart attack, or because you aren't riding have a psychotic break. Stay active, stay healthy, everyone.

Unfortunately for me, it's raining today.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:40 am quote
Depends on the local rules and how they should be interpreted.

At these times, I believe all of us who understand the true meaning of limitations now set, should comply with them. Also to show example to those who have harder times to grasp what is really going on now.

Anarchy and epidemics go badly together

If you are allowed to ride (... as would kind of make sense in those areas..), then add to your normal risk factor the severity of the situation.

For me this is still hypothetical, as it is too cold to ride. Still, I'm guessing over here it will be OK to ride. If still in good health, I believe I will ride - but will take it easy, will keep toreador pants on.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 am quote
The "stay-at-home" order here specifically includes an exception for exercise activities outdoors such as going for walks or jogs as long as physical distancing is maintained. Clearly physical distancing can be maintaining while riding a scooter, so that is on my list of outdoor activities.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:35 am quote
Still Kind of Cold to Ride
Like Sully, three minutes from my house I am out in the country with no one
around. The traffic in the Twin Cities (Minnesota) is really dead.

Our stay at home rule starts Saturday. My business is exempt, so we will
keep someone in the office to help call in customers (Door is locked).

If you are not in a hot spot where the police would stop you, I can not see
the problem of scooting away from everyone.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:51 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
The "stay-at-home" order here specifically includes an exception for exercise activities outdoors such as going for walks or jogs as long as physical distancing is maintained. Clearly physical distancing can be maintaining while riding a scooter, so that is on my list of outdoor activities.
Ditto.

Riding home soon with my new addition.

12D16E67-0E30-41BE-8329-E0F79AC5EE8C.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:00 am quote
I have a GPR pipe for my MP3, also thought it sounded good.
Switch back to stock, but now that I have 3 scooters, might make one that makes a little noise.
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 am quote
Around here as long as we maintain social distancing you can be out and about. This morning I took advantage of our break from the rain and rode my motorcycle to the dealer 25 miles away to have it serviced. Hardly anyone on the road. Before the lockdown that 25 mile ride would have taken 40 to 45 minutes. I did it in 25 minutes.

Yesterday I took my 16 year old son out to learn to drive. Found a big parking lot for him to practice. A police officer came by and chatted with us a bit and gave my son some sound advice before heading back out on the road.

As long as we don't congregate into a large group the authorities pay us no mind.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:30 pm quote
Just rode back from my dealer. The ride would usually take 2 hours at rush hour and I did it in less than and hour.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:21 pm quote
(UK) "UK police use drones and roadblocks to enforce lockdown"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/uk-police-use-drones-and-roadblocks-to-enforce-lockdown
Ossessionato
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:24 pm quote
Re: Ethics of riding in the plague era?
tdrake wrote:

BTW, fabulous photo TDrake!!

Miguel
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:48 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Switch back to stock, but now that I have 3 scooters, might make one that makes a little noise.
It痴 actually not that loud. Nothing compared to the Remus on the kitted Vespa. Still is does sound nice and I知 pretty sure I feel a little more power. Also got a tune up though so there is that.

Regarding riding. You certainly are not at risk and put no one at risk. I知 fortunate that I am on the essential service list so do have a reason to be out. I fully understand not wanting people out I知 some areas but with our passion no harm can really be done. Still if a hard lockdown is enforced I値l do my duty. They are talking of a curfew and I知 fine with that. The homeless may be a problem and those of us in big cities know what I mean. There are a LOT of them and they are not following social distancing rules and panhandling. So taking coins people have touched...

I will solo ride as long as I知 allowed. Pay for my gas with tap to pay at the pump and wear gloves when filling up.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
It痴 actually not that loud. Nothing compared to the Remus on the kitted Vespa. Still is does sound nice and I知 pretty sure I feel a little more power. Also got a tune up though so there is that.

Regarding riding. You certainly are not at risk and put no one at risk. I知 fortunate that I am on the essential service list so do have a reason to be out. I fully understand not wanting people out I知 some areas but with our passion no harm can really be done. Still if a hard lockdown is enforced I値l do my duty. They are talking of a curfew and I知 fine with that. The homeless may be a problem and those of us in big cities know what I mean. There are a LOT of them and they are not following social distancing rules and panhandling. So taking coins people have touched...

I will solo ride as long as I知 allowed. Pay for my gas with tap to pay at the pump and wear gloves when filling up.
Pretty sure the virus would be killed by gas. Splash some around.

Kidding.
Sort of.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 pm quote
On the one hand, Law Enforcement probably has been advised not to randomly pull people over, because that risks exposure. OTOH, if you break down and rely on roadside assistance to pick you and the bike up, you're probably leaving the bike and walking home.
Hooked
2016 Piaggio BV 350
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 pm quote
I've ridden to get food, grocery shop, pick up beer. We're on stay in place restrictions statewide. I also ride my scooter and bicycle to work.
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:58 pm quote
I知 not riding anywhere until this snow stops falling. Next week it is starting to look like a bit of a warming tend. I値l be out there riding!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:36 pm quote
In Kansas they have instituted stay-at-home recommendations. They are not orders per se.

So the police is not enforcing anything yet but that might change overnight.

To ride or not to ride is a very good question. Yesterday I went to the DMV just in time before they closed for the unforeseable future. I got my scooters retagged and pay registration. I went to the post office, gas station, grocery store within a couple of hours.

When the recommendation becomes an order enforcement will ensue. Until then I am going on joy rides because it makes me feel good and it is therapy for me.

Traffic in Kansas is much diminished. Cagers are driving like maniacs. So I am exercising extra caution and being twice alert.

By the way I got ejected from the virus thread, so I am taking this opportunity to let everybody know that I am doing okay. I am under a self-imposed self quarantine otherwise and practicing physical distance. But so far I am okay.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:07 pm quote
Until the governor's shelter in place order yesterday our area was actively encouraging outdoor activities as long as you stayed with your household and maintained social distance. On Monday I was out reply enishing coffee beans from the roaster, replacing a shovel that my husband thought he left outside so either got buried in the weekend snowfall or went walkabout essential to keep melting snow out of the garage, groceries and post office. Roads still had too much snow to tale a scoot but once down on the main roads I did see a bike or two. One scooter rider had offered to make deliveries for one of the liquor stores

Since then it has been mostly around 40 and I would take the Vespa out as I managed once before the shutdown when the weather cooperates . I've heard the don't ride anything with two wheels powered or not so as not to put additional strain on medical resources. Our county has had 9 positive tests and no hospitalizatons. If the roads stay clear and the wind quits gusting I will take the Vespa out. I will use it to run errands. Though it will be as much for my mental health as check-in the PO Box. No stretch delivery where we live so we try to check it at least twice a week, to pick up milk etc.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:54 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
On the one hand, Law Enforcement probably has been advised not to randomly pull people over, because that risks exposure. OTOH, if you break down and rely on roadside assistance to pick you and the bike up, you're probably leaving the bike and walking home.
How is that different than what would happen if your car breaks down?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 pm
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
Hooked
2016 GTS 300
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:23 am quote
In New Zealand we are in almost total lockdown. We can use a vehicle to go and buy food or medical supplies, and we can exercise close to home so long as we keep at least 2m from other people. We have to stay home, or exercise in our local area (like around the block). Joy-rides are forbidden. So my bikes will be inactive for the next month at least! There goes the last of the good riding weather and the beautiful autumn colours.
If everyone does the self-isolation, it must work. If they don't, we might be locked down for a long time. I can hear my Vespa whimpering in the garage already.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:56 am quote
States has the biggest Corona problem...
I see the States has a really big problem!

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-news-latest-2020-03-26/

And remember, you are just at the very very beginning of all this. It is going to get much worse. The Uk is far ahead of you with our preventative measures and it's still spreading exponentially mainly from when we allowed folks to roam around outside using social distancing, allowing them to use their own judgement on whether to go out. It doesn't work. The public mostly don't follow guidelines, it has to be legilation to lock down yourself and family and then stay home. You are not going to beat this by April as Mr Trump is telling people. You'll be lucky, as will we all, if we can beat it by Christmas. This could be with us for years to come according to the eggspurts. China has started it's second wave of the disease, mainly imported. There is months and months of this to come and sadly many many deaths to come of all ages, maybe even some of us on this forum. And it's not just the old that get it and die, as you can see from us here in europe.

STAY HOME. It makes a really really big difference to how quickly and how far the virus spreads.

Good luck everyone and STAY HOME!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:09 am quote
Motovista wrote:
CAA is still available here. You have to understand the rules are different depending on region. I'm not saying be stupid and take out an unreliable vehicle but riding offers a very minimal risk, arguably less than going out for a walk in a city like Toronto. The pumps are the only risk and there are ways to minimize that and on my big bike I can go a long way in a tank and have a jerry can. So yes let's be smart and follow the rules but mental health is important as well.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:16 am quote
Duck Dodgers wrote:
DELETED
Jesus... You might wanna go back and revisit the posting guidelines for this forum, dude. 😬
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123456Next
[ Time: 0.2520s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0483s) ][ Debug on ]