OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hello guys and gals, I have just found this forum and I am really glad I did as you have some great discussions and information here Thank you!

I own a 5 year old px150 which I am absolutely in love with as it is perfect for a small island like the one I live on. It is stock and recently decided to give it a few upgrades in order to get that little bit more power from it. Nothing fancy just to be able to maintain 100km(60mph) on the highway and accelerate slightly better uphill. My mechanic recommended to upgrade the exhaust and the sip? and one other thing that I don't really know the translated word for sorry.

Do you guys have any recommendations or is there a thread you can direct me to in order to get some more info on what people basically upgrade on this model.
Where is the best place online to source parts within Europe? I live in Greece.

Appreciate any info and thanks for reading. Have a nice day!
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
COYI,

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/main/base/home.aspx
Best source for parts in Europe.

Before you perform any mods, I recommend buying a CHT gauge kit. mods add power, which adds heat. If your engine gets too hot it'll seize. If it seizes, your rear wheel will lock up. That is not fun if it happens while you're going fast, trust me.
On to the tuning...
1) For a minor tweak, I'd recommend matching the carb box and gasket to the case and carb, and drilling the filter above the jets. Minor rejetting may be required.
2) Next, switch to a SIP Road 2.0 exhaust. Rejetting definitely required.
3) If you still want more, consider a jug swap. I like the Polini 177cc, but other users have other preferences.
4) If you go that far, then a taller clutch gear is worth doing too. Also an si 24/24 carb becomes viable for better top- end breathing.

By the time you get through that, the bike will be faster than you need it to be. Consider switching to tubeless tires and rims for safety's sake.

Best,
-Slashy
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
If you are in Greece, try www.scootershop.gr

Kostas has everything and if not, can get it. He works with SIP, Scooter Center and lots of other companies. He has competitive prices and at times, even better from the Germans...

FYI, the SIP Road 2.0 is outdated. Go for a Polini Original BOX. Better than SIP's and with excellent build quality. SIP Roads tend to fall apart from the inside after 2k - 5k Kms (been there)...

https://scooterlab.uk/vespa-big-box-exhaust-shootout-feature-2/
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
Quote:
SIP Roads tend to fall apart from the inside after 2k - 5k Kms (been there)...
SaFiS,
Please don't tell my bike! It apparently never got the memo.
Also... isn't the Polini Box a bit much for a near- stock 150?

Best,
-Slashy
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
UTC quote
[quote="GoSlash27"]
Quote:
SaFiS,
Please don't tell my bike! It apparently never got the memo.
Also... isn't the Polini Box a bit much for a near- stock 150?

Best,
-Slashy
You are one of the lucky people. Both the Road 2.0 & the XL fell apart on my Malossi 221. The Polini is fine for a stock engine or a mildly tuned one. I assume you don't mistake it for another model. I currently run it on my Ratty PX200 with just a longstroke crank. Really torquey, the build quality is exceptional and it's quieter (near to stock sound)...

If you have the time, check out the link on my previous post, with the latest exhaust shootout...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@duane1 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 et4

Addicted
@duane1 avatar
2005 et4
UTC quote
SLUK had an exhaust comparison and like the new BGM big box
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
You are one of the lucky people. Both the Road 2.0 & the XL fell apart on my Malossi 221.
Either that, or you are one of the unlucky people. I've never heard of this being a problem before today, and I haven't had any problems.
Also, you've done more extensive mods than I have and more than the OP needs for his purposes. Perhaps that's why you've seen the results you have.
Quote:
If you have the time, check out the link on my previous post, with the latest exhaust shootout...
I did, actually. The Polini made a hair more power while the SIP made a hair more torque. Both cost about the same. I personally lean toward torquey exhausts for stock or near- stock motors. YMMV

Best,
-Slashy
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
UTC quote
Latest batches have quality issues. The following Road 2.0 was installed on a stock PX200. Cracked after 1200Km. Took us a month to get it replaced by SIP. Excuses, excuses and lots of BS from their technical department...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I haven't ever come across any item(s) other than a cylinder kit that will make the PX150 maintain 60mph (at least for a US market PX150). Sure, it can get over 60mph down a hill with a few bolt on items, but i think you're asking too much for a stock cylinder.

I had a low mile 2005 US PX150 engine (with a Sito+) a while back. It was pretty slow, so i decided to go through the whole engine to see if i could find any power that was secretly hidden away. I ended up splitting the cases, matched the ports in the cases to the stock cylinder (the ports were way off!), (and like what Slashy recommended) matched the carb to the carb box and then that to the engine case, and drilled the air filter above the jets. It took a lot of time, but it was well worth it for the free(ish) power gain. That gave me a solid 55mph cruising speed. It also gave me more torque for the hills as well.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks for all the tips.

I think I'll go with
"1.For a minor tweak, I'd recommend matching the carb box and gasket to the case and carb, and drilling the filter above the jets. Minor rejetting may be required." for now and switch to a new exhaust and take it from there.

"I ended up splitting the cases, matched the ports in the cases to the stock cylinder (the ports were way off!), (and like what Slashy recommended) matched the carb to the carb box and then that to the engine case, and drilled the air filter above the jets."

Is there some kind of video tutorial or pictures to guide me through these processes and what parts I should source? Would be kinda tricky to translate to my Greek guy how to go about tweaking this. He probably has an idea as he has been working on vespas for a good 20 years now but any extra explanation would be helpful

Thanks!
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
COYI wrote:
"I ended up splitting the cases, matched the ports in the cases to the stock cylinder (the ports were way off!), (and like what Slashy recommended) matched the carb to the carb box and then that to the engine case, and drilled the air filter above the jets."

Is there some kind of video tutorial or pictures to guide me through these processes and what parts I should source? Would be kinda tricky to translate to my Greek guy how to go about tweaking this. He probably has an idea as he has been working on vespas for a good 20 years now but any extra explanation would be helpful

Thanks!
I don't have any pics for you to use as a guide. It's fairly self explanatory, it the ports in the cylinder don't line up with the ports on the engine cases, use a grinding tool to make them line up.

I think when most people decide go as far to split the cases in order to match up the ports, they just swap on an aftermarket cylinder kit, rather than just making the stock cylinder a little bit better.
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
I wouldn't recommend port matching, at least not at this stage. It *can* be accomplished without splitting the case, but I don't recommend it. Likewise, I don't recommend splitting the case unless you're fixing something inside.

I used to have a series of pics of the carb box porting, but Photobucket ate my homework. As for drilling the filter, I'm sure I can dig you up a pic from a google search.

*edit* External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Best,
-Slashy
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks guys, getting on it.
UTC

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
I would go straight to a mild cylinder kit, if you want to achieve and maintain 100 km/h on a Euro3 PX150. As a budget option, the DR177 is very similar to stock, but with more capacity, a better port setup (particularly exhaust and boost), and a better piston design. You can keep your electric starter and there's no case porting required. With one of the sportier box pipes and a rejetted carb, you'll be good to go.

Your CDI will restrict you to ~7000 RPM, and with the PX150 gearbox, this just about gets you to 100 km/h in 4th. You'll be right on the rev limit, so a 22T clutch cog might be a good upgrade for your 21T stock cog. Again, very easy to do.

Repeat, this is the reliable budget option to meet your expectations with very little work. There are lots of other kits and tuning components available, all of which have upsides, downsides and cost implications.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
now I gotta know what 'it' is...
Quote:
My mechanic recommended to upgrade the exhaust and the sip? and one other thing that I don't really know the translated word for sorry.
Kali mera, my Greek sucks but Safis can handle anything.

Just give us the word in Greek and we'll figure it out. Is your mechanic experienced with Vespas? And does your scooter have a catalytic muffler? If so, he's right and you should be able to find free power by simply using an older stock P muffler. Better than stock is not too expensive and would give you a bit more power. Make sure he knows to upjet the carb.

Generally, I like Swa45's advice, no need to do very much according to your request. Especially the clutch cog swap, no hi speed necessary on your small island but you will eat the hills up.

Do you want to do the work yourself or do you want advice re choosing parts for your mechanic to install?

swa45: can he just swap to an older CDI or does this bike need the right one.

edit: just caught this -
Quote:
Would be kinda tricky to translate to my Greek guy how to go about tweaking this. He probably has an idea as he has been working on vespas for a good 20 years now but any extra explanation would be helpful
Don't worry if we can get Safis to help out. I'll bet he'd even help explain anything on the phone. Sounds like you may have got the right mechanic.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Voodoo, I read that the PX is 5 years old, meaning that it has the latest Chinese stator/ignition. You cannot use the old CDI, but Readspeed in the UK sells a CDI called Zeus (great name given the Greek connection here). This removes the c.7000 RPM limit, but for this application, keeping the revs reasonably low might be a good thing for longevity/reliability.
@grahamlml avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 250 , Baotian 70cc rat scooter, Yamaha V50M 1979

Addicted
@grahamlml avatar
UTC quote
swa45 wrote:
I would go straight to a mild cylinder kit, if you want to achieve and maintain 100 km/h on a Euro3 PX150. As a budget option, the DR177 is very similar to stock, but with more capacity, a better port setup (particularly exhaust and boost), and a better piston design. You can keep your electric starter and there's no case porting required. With one of the sportier box pipes and a rejetted carb, you'll be good to go.

Your CDI will restrict you to ~7000 RPM, and with the PX150 gearbox, this just about gets you to 100 km/h in 4th. You'll be right on the rev limit, so a 22T clutch cog might be a good upgrade for your 21T stock cog. Again, very easy to do.

Repeat, this is the reliable budget option to meet your expectations with very little work. There are lots of other kits and tuning components available, all of which have upsides, downsides and cost implications.
Would you stick with the 20/20 or go for 24/24 carb. Plus what jetting set up to start with
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
grahamlml, a straight forward (bolt-on) DR177 will quite happily use the stock 20/20 on a PX125/150. If you've not touched the inlet port on a late PX, you're probably just fine with the 20/20.

I'm not too familiar with the 20/20, but jetting would be in the order of:

Idle: 55/160, maybe a bit leaner eg. 48-50/160
Main: 160/BE3/110-112 with a SIP Road 2 or similar

You could just experiment with the stock 20/20 setup with just the bigger main jet.

The DR177 that I run uses a 24/24, because I had a spare one on the shelf. It runs:

Idle: 55/160
Main: 160/BE3/122 with a BigBox Touring
Filter: PX200 (pre-drilled from SIP)
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Guys, can you point me to the correct jet for the stock carb please.
Assuming the stock jet is 102 so need to get a 106 now? or bigger?
Got the Polini box exhaust.

I found this. Is this the correct carb? (DellOrto SI 20 D - SI 24 E/G)
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/jetting+kit+si+sip+performance+_40260100

Do I need the whole kit or can I get the 106 on its own somehow?

Thanks
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
I believe that your 2013 PX150 should have 45/140 idle and 140/BE5/96 or 98 main stack. If keeping the factory cylinder and adding the Polini exhaust, I would say 104/maybe 106 main, but if you fitted a 177 kit as per your original plan, you'll want something bigger......110/112 IMHO.

Each jet can be purchased separately, but it's best to have a range. The jet packs are normally the most economical way to buy.

I have now put the 20/20 back on my DR177, as the 24 didn't give me enough bang for the buck. Just drank more fuel. I kept the 45/140 idle, but changed the main stack to 160/BE3/112.

[Edit] If you do buy a jet pack, you'll need this one:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/jetting+kit+dellorto+105128+_40260000
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Will keep the factory cylinder on for the moment and see how it performs with the exhaust and a couple wholes on the filter. I think the main now is 102? Ok I'll get the pack thanks.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@grahamlml avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@grahamlml avatar
UTC quote
swa45 wrote:
@grahamlml, a straight forward (bolt-on) DR177 will quite happily use the stock 20/20 on a PX125/150. If you've not touched the inlet port on a late PX, you're probably just fine with the 20/20.

I'm not too familiar with the 20/20, but jetting would be in the order of:

Idle: 55/160, maybe a bit leaner eg. 48-50/160
Main: 160/BE3/110-112 with a SIP Road 2 or similar

You could just experiment with the stock 20/20 setup with just the bigger main jet.

The DR177 that I run uses a 24/24, because I had a spare one on the shelf. It runs:

Idle: 55/160
Main: 160/BE3/122 with a BigBox Touring
Filter: PX200 (pre-drilled from SIP)
Thankyou swa45, picked up a dr177, 24/24 carb, carbon fibre reeds, Dr gear up wots it and a sip road race 2. Will start conversion in the new year 😊
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Blah... search... blah... same ol... blah...

I'll walk away now & mumble to myself
@worrywort avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX125E

Hooked
@worrywort avatar
PX125E
UTC quote
swa45 wrote:
Voodoo, I read that the PX is 5 years old, meaning that it has the latest Chinese stator/ignition. You cannot use the old CDI, but Readspeed in the UK sells a CDI called Zeus (great name given the Greek connection here). This removes the c.7000 RPM limit, but for this application, keeping the revs reasonably low might be a good thing for longevity/reliability.
Hello.
An alternative which I am going to put on this Forum when I work out how to add pictures. A "cheap" ignition mod.
I am having serious hassle with my 2012 PX125E. Engine ran backwards etc.

I have a P200E in bits and found you can fit the Flywheel, Stator plate and ignition module to the 125. You have to replace them all as a group. You can't mix and match. Easy and inexpensive if you get the parts cheap. ( I suspect LML parts from India are made from dogshit so beware).
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0340s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0104s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]