Started as a spark plug post; now down the rabbit hole we go
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12345
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:43 pm quote
Update August 8, 2019 - 5:30pm EST - It finally came down to the ECU/throttle body. The scooter would start when I would tap the ECU. A Modern Vespa Forum poster surmised that it was poorly soldered pins in the ECU/Throttle body. The problem got worse and I decided tapping the ECU every time I wanted to ride wasn't the best solution. So, my wife and I replaced the ECU/Throttle body. In doing so, I think we broke the fuel injector electrical connection - I blame her . So I replaced the fuel injector. The bike still would not start. So I tried to do a TPS reset using JPDiag (an online ECU code reader). I'm not sure the TPS reset worked - I did email the developer, but I think he/she is in France. I'm waiting for a reply. The ECU is returning error code P0611 : invalid signal. The scooter's attempts to start look like this: https://youtu.be/xShccopJEm8

Anyway, I don't have access to the Piaggio PADS diagnostic tool to do the factory-authorized TPS reset. I'm giving up... I'm going to bring the scooter to the local dealer. It will be the third mechanic I've been to... Hopefully three times is a charm.
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:42 pm quote
Update August 8, 2019 - 7:40PM EST - The local dealer hooked up to the Piaggio PADS diagnostic, reset the TPS and updated. He is having the same result - the scooter attempts to start, but won't run - like this: https://youtu.be/xShccopJEm8
The dealer is thinking maybe the immobilizer/key set is the issue since the scooter will just about start, but won't actually run. He thought maybe this was consistent with an immobilizer issue. The scooter ran/drive about two weeks ago. In that time, the only replacements have been the ECU/throttle body and the fuel injector. But, the keys won't program the new ECU... Every time, after programming, I get a two second blink and then the light goes out; the scoot will then turn over and then start for a second, but then dies without running.

Does this sound consistent with an immobilizer issue? Any other ideas?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:55 pm quote
theschuman wrote:
Update August 8, 2019 - 7:40PM EST - The local dealer hooked up to the Piaggio PADS diagnostic, reset the TPS and updated. He is having the same result - the scooter attempts to start, but won't run - like this: https://youtu.be/xShccopJEm8
The dealer is thinking maybe the immobilizer/key set is the issue since the scooter will just about start, but won't actually run. He thought maybe this was consistent with an immobilizer issue. The scooter ran/drive about two weeks ago. In that time, the only replacements have been the ECU/throttle body and the fuel injector. But, the keys won't program the new ECU... Every time, after programming, I get a two second blink and then the light goes out; the scoot will then turn over and then start for a second, but then dies without running.

Does this sound consistent with an immobilizer issue? Any other ideas?
Your ECU still thinks it's a virgin unit. However, it should run up to 2,000rpm - but it doesn't.

The antenna/decoder could be faulty - but more likely is that your replacement ECU is faulty. New != Tested and working.

The easiest check is to swap the throttle body with another known good one from another scooter, and swap the brown key RFID chips so you can start the bike with your master key. If that then works, you have a duff ECU - if it doesn't, then you'll get some other flash code which can help pinpoint the problem.
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 am quote
Problem Solved
Update August 17, 2019 - 1:20pm EST - The local Vespa dealer could not solve the problem, although they did reset the throttle position sensor (TPS) and try a few other things. They are new to the Vespa brand, and were honest about their emerging skills, which I appreciated. They quoted me a fixed price up front to plug into their PADS diagnostic tool, reset the TPS, and troubleshoot, and stuck to that initial quote although they spent hours on it. I appreciated their honesty, effort, and straightforward pricing. They have good customer service.

So, per jimc's suggestion, I started looking for a new ECU/throttle body. I found a throttle body/ECU seller on eBay, and amazingly, the seller lives in Connecticut, about 35 minutes away. So, I called him. To make a long story short, I brought him my bike and he replaced the ECU/throttle body (ECU/throttle body number 3) with a new, working one. I picked up the bike yesterday, and it is running well. I drove at least 50 miles, and so far, so good. Thanks again awesome Modern Vespa Forum members! It's been a long haul, but I'm (hopefully) reliably back on the road.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:05 pm quote
Glad to hear there was a happy ending.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:59 am quote
I am really afraid that is going to be my fix for my BV350 too. We will see come fall and cooler temps.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12345
[ Time: 0.1359s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0497s) ][ Debug on ]