Possible retirement at 54/ Bill's Medical Malady
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123456Next
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:57 am quote
I find myself in a bit of a quandry and I'm looking from advice from those who been here and could advice as to what I could do next.

In the past 7 months I've lost both of my parents, Iv'e been diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia and walked away from a very good job with Porsche so I can deal out with the fall out with the aforementioned events.

As the dust has started to settle I've been trying to figure out what to do next as there's enough of an inheritance for me ( if I'm careful) not to have to work until I'm 65 or

Return to work, as I have the choice 3 positions to choose from while putting everything in the bank for either a rainy day or a later retirement or say bollocks to it and

Buy another powered two wheeler and tour Europe or buy one in the USA and do the same thing until I get bored.

The cancer treatment is on going and even though it won't kill me quickly it has to monitored twice a month to ensure that it doesn't go left unchecked.

My house is paid for, I have no dependants and my debts are minimal.

So has anyone been in a similar situation and can give me advice or point out something i havn't considered.

What say you ?

Bill x

Last edited by Bill Dog on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hooked
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:47 am quote
Hi Bill,

sorry to hear about this.

My question is: when you reach 65, would your pension allow you to live correctly (I mean, as you want to). If the answer is yes, I'd not hesitate, life is short, so I would opt for buying a two wheeler and ride, enjoying life as much as I can and discovering unknown places.

These are just my 2 cents. All the best from France!
Phil

Last edited by Skansen on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:47 am quote
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Bill.
From my perspective, despite the problems you have, I'd say you have an opportunity to spend your days doing something you love.

If that means working for a while because it helps cushion things later on, that's one path.
But I'll ask, what is missing from your life right now that you want to fill your time with?

Perhaps you could move on to a part-time gig and do both the 'responsible' thing and the 'I love doing it' thing?
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:22 am quote
I don't have much advice to give you....except to see a financial expert. Take a good look at your finances and see what the numbers really tell you. It may be either much better or much worse than you think. Either way, having someone help you plan the financial aspect of your later working life (or immediate retirement) is helpful.

The guy I have now inherited my account when my longtime financial advisor jumped (again!) to another firm, and I was tired of moving my account from place to place on my advisor's whim. So I stayed put, and I couldn't be happier. I'm doing just fine with investments, spent a buttload on my kids college, and my advisor calls me to talk now and then, otherwise we both leave things alone for the long run.
Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:24 am quote
It is all about the money. That said, retirement is mainly about 1. your health and 2. your finances.

I quit work at 51, lived on a sailboat for two years (winter in the Bahamas, hurricane season in Connecticut. Tough life but somebody had to do it.). It was a great life because we had ensured that we had the cash to make it a pleasure. And we had our health. After we stopped, I was a bit short until the Social Security and pensions kicked in so I got a job as a bank teller. That was a piece of fun!

I don't know what the pension situation is like in the UK these days but I imagine the heath side is pretty much taken care of. Correct me if I am wrong.

That leaves day-to-day expenses. Create a spreadsheet of your projected Income and Expenses. Be as accurate as you can; do not short change the expense side. Especially health costs that might not be covered.

Include more-than-you- think-likely amounts for the hobbies and other activities you plan to do. They will be more. A lot more. More than that.

Sounds like you have no dependents. Do banks offer reverse mortgages in the UK? (Not advising either way, mind).

Oh, and finally, if there is anything you want to do, do it before you retire as you will not have time after!

Once you join the great unwashed you will discover that retirement is fun. (See my first paragraph).

Edit: What Larrytsg said ^^^^
eeee-bip
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:27 am quote
Point
One of the positions is a week on/week off and I have to admit that is very tempting.

Do what the hell I want 1 week then work for the "man" in between.

It's at least an option.

I have a state pension which would normally kick in around 65 which is roughly around the age most people in the UK retire.

If I chose to retire I'd ensure I'd put enough aside so I wouldn't go short after the majority of the inheritance runs out.

What's missing ? Very little.

However, having had much of the past 3 months to myself I don't miss having to get up to go and make someone else some money.

More coming....
eeee-bip
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:39 am quote
Additional
The reason that I gave up work was I was being seen by two different hospitals ( because my condition was the worst they'd seen ) so being an anomaly both of them want to poke and prod me endlessly - this was causing me to take a fair amount of work and once both of my parents had gone both my Sister and I applied ourselves to dealing with the fall out.
I knew that this was going to take an age so rather than be the guy that might only be there 2 or 3 days a week I felt it best to walk away and give someone else a job.

Even though the process is coming to an end the trifecta of unfortunate events has served as a reminder that I'm not getting this life again so how best to spend the rest of the time I have while not "pissing it up the wall" as we say over here.

Bill x
Ossessionato
GTS250
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:49 am quote
If you think you have the money, go for it. Just don't sit around and watch BBC and eat.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:54 am quote
Do It!!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:06 pm quote
Get a job ya bum.

You’ll be so bored otherwise you’ll be posting here more than JetPeddler, and nobody wants that.
eeee-bip
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:28 pm quote
Strokes
Yeah, I never even thought of that.

Lets hope that I get a job eh ?

Bill x
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 pm quote
Bill,

Again, I'm almost at a loss for words - you've been through a lot already, and (from here, anyway) seem to be handling stuff as best as can be expected. Good to know you have a sibling to help shoulder some of this - i've got a lot of experience on that end of things.

Assuming you've got your major financial ducks in a row, I'd say the week-on, week-off proposal is a sound one. I'll sorta echo znomit on the idea that you could become bored outta your krell without having a bit of gainful employment to occupy you (Le Wife takes note of how mopey I get at times when freelance gigs trail off for a few weeks...and it's not entirely about the money, important as that still is), but it's still important that you can have that alternate week to do whatever the hell you want and not worry much. Beats the hell out of the occasional long weekend.

And, I had to look up the health situation you're dealing with: perhaps not the absolute worst thing the "L" word usually conjures up in my mind, but daunting nonetheless, though it sounds like you're in pretty good hands in dealing with it. Crossing fingers that progress continues, and that you get to do the stuff that matters all the while.

Last edited by amateriat on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 pm quote
We retired two weeks before my 53rd birthday. Knowing we couldn't take anything out of our retirement accounts before age 59 1/2 without a penalty, we sold the business we had built to finance that 6 year gap.

We, also, set off for a couple years of cruising on our own boat. Three years into retirement, the opportunity for what my wife calls "fun summer jobs" presented itself, and we these contract boat jobs during the next 8 years, with one summer off for more boat cruising.

12 1/2 years retired. I had friends say that we'd miss having something to do - they were wrong; the traveling has been spectacula!. They said we'd run out of money - they were wrong.

We are now mid-60s and can't do physically what we could 12 years ago - absolutely no regrets that we bailed early from the rat race. Some of those same friends that were nay-sayers now tell me they wish they could have done the same thing.

We still travel more than we are home. We sold our last cruising boat (still have a small pleasure boat at home) and have been traveling by RV. As a retired boat captain, when we have done the "fun summer jobs" (I put that in quotes because someone always has to work hard for others to have fun), they have been in some great places (National Parks, Pacific Northwest).

If you can do it financially, I don't see any downside. Having no schedule is the best!

Good luck with the on-going medical situation and the decisions ahead of you.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:38 pm quote
No experience what so ever of this kind of situation.

But on shorter breaks yes - it comes down to what Znomit says.

Are you a person who is happier with or without job?
If you don't have experience on that yet, take the week on/off deal and try it out. Not much to loose there?
eeee-bip
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:55 pm quote
Above
Thank you for your kind words above all of you.

It's looking like retirement or at least semi-retirement isn't it.

I don't really want to give out any numbers but yes if I'm not too greedy my life style wouldn't have to change too much if I chose to give up work and live on the inheritance.

I'm afraid of making the same mistake they did which was to leave it too late to enjoy it.

I feel a little guilty because I didn't actually earn any of it but I think I just want to ensure that it's significance is maximised, so to speak.

As for the the illness your white cell count is supposed be around 5 to 10 , my bone marrow went a bit crazy and pushed it up to 530 which put me in hospital for a week and thereafter daily tableted chemo until it finally gets it back on track and if not it's a bone marrow transplant.

It was just my turn to have a bad day eh ?

Without doubt it has served as a reminder that we're only here once so I think I'm going to spend the next week working on a budget for the next 12 years.

Bill x
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:27 pm quote
I was in almost exactly the same position when I was 52. Wife died, job became a chore, no debts, some savings and I could start my work pension when I was 55. This was enough to make me retire on the spot, live off savings for three years and then be comfortable. It enabled me to really enjoy travel all over the UK and Europe and eventually to meet and marry again, now living the life in California.

Just do it Bill - but do have a good talk with a financial adviser. I use St James's Place who have done wonders with my remaining savings.

If you do get bored - find another job for a while. However I promise you you'll be enjoying yourself too much to consider it though!

Do the things you want to do while you are young enough to get the most out of them. Have fun.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:39 pm quote
Given your mention of foreign travel-perhaps the degree to which you'll be
(or not?) dependent on the UK healthcare services could be a good question to answer?
My wife & I retired in 2002 and live well on various retirement checks and when in the USA our teacher retirement supplemental plans-Medicare and Rx cover all but a very small amount of anything we need medically-BUT! when we travel that insurance doesn't follow us.
While I agree that health is paramount to enjoy new found freedom and less time restraints it's about more than that and the money. Many people need what employment offers in ways not satisfied in retirement. That's certainly not my wife nor I! And neither do we require that others provide us with ways to use or time like "seniors back to school"-God forbid that I spend one minute more in a school! doing anything, well maybe anything other than watching sports...
My SIL, an "old maid", has plenty of income and only herself and is considering a part-time job to make more travel affordable-she's an accountant and makes sense for her, NOT ME!
My main worry in retirement at this very moment is keeping the racoons out of the sweet corn for ~ two more days, oh the responsibilities of retirement.
Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:58 pm quote
Bill -- that is a trifecta of woe. Sorry to hear, but you are approaching this with a clear head.

The key here is finances and health. As a US retiree, Medicare doesn't apply overseas, so it is an issue. I assume UK National Health is similar. If you know that healthcare is covered and that you can financially carry on until your pension kicks in, then do what you desire. As a friend of mine who I worked with said, "you can pick the day you retire, but you don't get to pick the day you leave the planet." He left the first day he would receive a full pension (age 60).

Whatever you choose, I hope you are happy and content with your choice. I wish you many more healthy years of riding and doing whatever.
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 pm quote
I also have a bit of a limited shelf life and suspect I have more than enough to easily last me through but I'm still working. I'm around your age and have tried different alternatives to working. The travelling thing sounds quite nice but it starts to pale after a while and you start to want to come home. The longest I did was about 8 months and while the stories were great and the views beautiful, they did all start to merge together after a while. Also tried working on my own stuff at home for a couple of years - personally I enjoyed it but you do feel a little disconnected. I then tried doing stuff for a charity and found I really enjoyed it - I was running a kite fair for about 4000 folk this weekend, it was knackering but we all had a great laugh.

The US trip sounds nice but what happens if you're away and have an accident that requires hospitalisation. Or your condition got worse. It would be bloody expensive in America and I can't see too many insurance companies jumping at the chance to insure you. Also what would happen if the airlines wouldn't fly you home? You could see that nest egg disappearing quickly.

I also see many folk selling the house and retiring out in Greece or France. It starts great but soon becomes an alcoholic haze. It's OK if you have a hobby you can devote your time to. Preferably one you can share with others. Could you either do the week on/week off work thing and spend the time off writing your travel memoirs or look for something more fulfilling?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:14 pm quote
Tough go, Bill Dog.

Not always an easy decision on the best of days. I never thought those thoughts would be invading my mind like they do, but I'm getting old enough, and tired enough of working.

Illness can be a game-changer. I think most of us relatively healthy folks live in a sort of denial about our own mortality. When you're staring that down, I think there's more urgency to get it right.

Bottom line for me is purpose. If you're doing something you love, and it's engaging, you might want to hang on longer. If work is just a means to an end, may be time to give it up and do something you'd rather do. It may be better for you in the long run.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:20 pm quote
piss on the job.

I have been retired for 9 years now and still am under 60 yr old. Technically been receiving a retirement check since I was 35 yo.
I stay plenty busy with honey do's and other stuff and still can't find the time to super organize my garage to my liking.
I do cash pick up work when I want it and even that can make me more busy than I have time for.
Some times I drive new cars for a dealer when they need to do dealer swaps, most of the time I get call to do electrical work for folks, I limit what I do though and stick to just minor work and not get involved in whole house stuff or anything that requires a code inspector as that involves having a license and that would mean MORE work.
Also do some service work on scooters and some motorcycles, there again I pick my jobs I want to do.

Still have found very little time to go for rides this year or take the boat out.Which sucks and I vow to change that soon.

So bottom line is
PISS ON THE JOB
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (Sold)
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:11 pm quote
Bill D,

Winter is coming so maybe take the on/off job until next spring. Then do the touring Europe thing. Or you could ride around Asia where it isn't winter, ever!

The thing about being "retired" is that you can pick the job you want not the job you need.

I "quit" my regular job to start my own business in Thailand. That was 12+ years ago and it was fun but no real money. So now i am sat in Indonesia back at work earning trouserable money, hopefully for 3 years and then i will quit for good.

Work does get in the way but it does keep one's mind occupied.

Do you have a hobby with mates? Health first, mates second, then all the dull stuff.

Oh and you cannot live on capital gain. You need income for living!
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:15 pm quote
From experience, DO IT.

Check out this book: YOU CAN RETIRE YOUNG! by Larry A Ferstenou.

As you are seeing, there is much more to life than money and possessions. The book really covers everything in an easy to read format. If you do retire, it doesn't HAVE to be permanent- though I think you'll find a way to make sure it is.

Good luck and well wishes coming your way.

Bob
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:28 pm quote
Get the Heck Out Now - No Brainer
This health stuff is literally a killer. Go now, ride the world on your scooter for
great experiences and meeting new and interesting people.

If your health improves, you can always work. Hear that, you can always work.
Get out know. These anal planning for retirement people represent a small
percentage of the population. Most people have squat for retirement.

So ride on. However, if you are the typical anal retentive who needs to much
information and still can not make a decision, you are doomed. Hey, you may
not be comfortable living on the fly.

Best of luck fellow rider.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
Hooked
2019 GTS 300 Touring
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:12 pm quote
Sorry to hear of your situation Bill. Hope the very best for you. Truth is we all gotta go sometimes or another, no gets out alive.

As others have suggested, you should see a financial advisor. He's the professional and will asses your financial situation, discuss the risks, and offer advice based on your wants and desires. Only then will you fully prepared to make the decision that is right for you.

I'm a cancer survivor of 15 years and understand the emotions that one has when we get the news. You will be in my prayers.

Paul
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (Sold)
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:27 pm quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
Most people have squat for retirement.
Hey,
I resemble that remark.
roadscum wrote:
you should see a financial advisor. He's the professional
How come they are still working?
Hooked

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:46 pm quote
Bill Dog wrote:
diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
Make a best guess estimate and factor in how long before you "hit the wall" . . experience extreme debilitation.

Sounds like at least you have the option of determining how you choose to spend that time period . . before the ego fades away and your borrowed atoms of elements are recycled back into the cosmos.
Enthusiast
2016 GTS 300
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:50 am quote
Bill Dog, very sorry for your situation, I know how you feel. I have lost both of my parents, and was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia at 63. I retired at the end of that year, and have not regretted it for one minute since. But it does depend on how much you depend on work for your sense of self-worth, and on what other interests you have to occupy yourself.

Because you don't know how your disease is going to progress in the future, if you can afford it I would advocate enjoying life now! For me that didn't include working, but for you it might. It comes down to personal priorities.

There's lots of talk about overseas travel. I found it almost impossible to get medical travel insurance for a terminal condition. It may be easier where you are, or your Govt may have more reciprocal health agreements with other countries than NZ does. But if you get stuck in hospital overseas and you're paying, your money could disappear very rapidly. I suggest you talk to your Haematologist/Oncologist about fitness to travel and possible complications of CML.

To end on a more positive note, when my father died I used part of the inheritance to buy a new Moto Guzzi. I love that bike, have done 93,000km on it all over the place. My justification has been that you never know how long you have got. Of course I've just been bullsh/tting myself, because no-one ever knows that, so we should all take that attitude all the time.

Good luck with your treatment mate, hope it keeps working for you.
eeee-bip
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:54 am quote
Time
A time frame is really hard to judge as the drugs I'm taking seem to be working but will they cure it ? Who knows.

The real fear is that they stop working one day and the condition resorts to the acute version and then I'm really in the shit.

I'm being monitored by two hospitals twice a month so if things go up the shitter they'll know pretty soon.

It's a waiting game but also a reminder that we are all incredibly fragile.

More coming.

Jim, I'm very much in agreement with you on your last paragraph.

I think that that's the way it's going to go.

Bill x
Enthusiast
2016 GTS 300
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:57 am quote
Agree, I'm in the same position. So if it all turns to crap, do you want to have spent your last month at work?
eeee-bip
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:59 am quote
Bosh
Yes, that would really piss me off.

Bill x
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:26 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Bottom line for me is purpose. If you're doing something you love, and it's engaging, you might want to hang on longer. If work is just a means to an end, may be time to give it up and do something you'd rather do. It may be better for you in the long run.
Hey, Bill,

I'm two years into wondering if my prostate cancer will return, so I know what a shock it can bring to one's life.

I think fledermaus says it for me too.

I am privately employed, so I can set my own hours, but I also have to make my practice work. I am very lucky to have meaningful, if challenging, work I enjoy, but was looking forward to just fading out of it around now (I'm 70). Five years ago, I took the opportunity to work supervising interns at a non-profit counseling center. It's the work I was meant to do, combining my therapy and teaching skills. I'm now working more than ever and loving it - and receiving much love in return. I am also developing* my love for art and photography into something real. Also meaningful and challenging.

My wife, five years ago, was a rapidly burning out teacher looking forward to several more years before being able to retire. One day we crunched the numbers and realized she could do it early, so we jumped on it. She now is into her second career, and first love, as an artist.

So find something you love, that's engaging and meaningful. It might be some other kind of work, or it might be exploring the world and yourself in one way or another.

But by all means, just do it.

*yes, pun intended
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:34 am quote
The retirement age was set so half the population would die at their desks (though the dead half probably weren't working at desks). Get going while the goings good.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:05 am quote
I thought the Germans set the retirement age at 65 as an almost unattainable goal....sometime in the early 20th century (before 1933). And since then it really hasn't moved, though the life expectancy has dramatically improved since then. Of course, this is all water under the bridge for individuals..... as different as we all are, retirement can be 3 months or 30+ years, and none of us knows this beforehand.

As others have stated, it's all in mindset. Working "for the man" is much different than working for yourself or doing something you love, which gives you satisfaction.

Others on this thread have said "screw it, do it now, deal with the consequences later", which is a fine cavalier attitude, but I'm reminded of the adage "Failure to plan is planning to fail".

I like your One week on, One week off offer. It gives you work for the present, and time off to deal with your medical issues and to ride and enjoy life. And time to plan your exit from the workforce. And time to think about what you really want.

And I understand your issue with spending an "inheritance", as unexpected and unearned as it may feel, the guilt of a large gift of cash can feel like a burden. My mother (she's 80 now) recently got money from one of her sisters (she had only one child who died over 50 years ago) and a cousin, and she cannot find it in her heart to spend it.

Good luck in this whole thing.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:14 am quote
I'm mostly in the Bob Copeland camp of financial planning. I didn't require others to plan my life nor my retirement, not because I knew everything but simply based on my willingness to find answers when needed.
Reminds me of some workplace colleagues who were talking which investments would pay off the best for their money focused worlds they lived in, I remarked, "my money all goes to NIKE, as it's the hottest thing going". They thought I meant the markets which I further explained it was on the feet of our three sons.
The finances and health aspect is nice for food, housing and other essentials but to be satisfied with life or retirement in general requires the same thing IMO-liking "where you are, what your doing". For me, that has always required something I happened to have never received from my employment-the chance to be creative!!! I made that decision to not create for our lively hood when I was in my early thirties and having just returned to higher education for completion of several degrees and knowing I was ready to pursue new horizons.
I found myself wanting security for our 3 kids under 3 years old and "chose the check", meaning a sure thing vs. the starving artist routine imposed on my family in this case. Retirement requires some security but for me the creative aspect is paramount once Mavloff is happy. 'I damned sure wont satisfy myself being a Walmart greeter not my ass sitting on the porch or a Vespa! I enjoy much other stuff but the juices must flow now and then or I'm a hollow man.
I cannot count the people I've encountered who said they'd be happy in retirement sitting on their ass.
Financial planners are more for people during their work life than when it's about to enter an end stage. That's an aspect of my anger at those politicians who feel OK with bastardizing our work pay or retirements which were planned upon. In KY they decided a great way to fund the retirement they are bound by law to fund in the first place is to now tax my retirement checks so younger persons are in a solvent plan. Of course, in part this is to pay for other follies too. Sorry, but retirement is at the mercy of politics for many people-look at the year 2007 or whenever it was that the markets failed-it wasn't me that caused that!
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:35 am quote
I retired 14 months ago at age 63. It was a difficult decision. Not because of money but because of the uncertainty of the road ahead. I had worked for the same university for 44 years. The homeostasis of that situation was paralyzing. Logic didn't help much. Financial advisors told me I had plenty of money. My cardiologist told me I should retire and enjoy myself -- and take Social Security right away. After a heart attack I guess anything can happen.

Still, I hesitated. Then the university offered a year's salary as an incentive to retire. Getting old timers off the payroll would help their bottomline. Even that didn't help.

I delivered the paperwork to retire fearfully, uncertain, perhaps a bit queasy. But the moment the woman at the desk took the paperwork from my hand I felt the weight of all of it evaporate. I walked out of the office feeling free even though I would still have 9 more months until I stopped working.

Now, I can't imagine having a job. Of any kind. I don't want to trade my time for money anymore. I just want to wake up each day and see what happens. I've been riding, writing, making photographs, going for long walks with the dogs, hanging out with my wife and smiling most of the time.

At the end of the day the decision to retire is personal and unique. Only you can determine what makes sense for you. Money is important but having enough to retire doesn't mean it will be the right decision for you.

Best wishes for your decision and road ahead.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:43 am quote
Here's my two pence, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing when it comes to retirement. You've got a health issue and a double bereavement all of which are major life changing issues when they happen one at a time much less all at once.

Two years ago my husband got laid off and his first thought was to start job hunting. My response as "no, we've said for years that once our youngest was in university we'd take a trip to Australia". Since our youngest was starting uni in the fall he agreed to wait until after our trip to start looking for a job. Then last year our house in Houston was flooded with Harvey and that became almost a full time job getting it restored. So he decided to stay retired. Ironically he's had a dozen approaches in the last 6 months about going back to work and so far hasn't been tempted enough to follow up on them.

So my suggestion is to make a conscious decision to take some time off and do something that you have always wanted to do whether that is buying a scooter somewhere and touring around for a few months, selling it and repeating elsewhere in the world or just spending some quality time with friends at home. Then in another six months or a year reevaluate.

After all if you do decide to return to work you will do so refreshed and with a purpose while having the perfect "excuse" for taking time off that any potential employer you'd want to work for would certainly understand. If they couldn't then you wouldn't want to work for them anyway.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:14 am quote
Jim in NZ wrote:
... So if it all turns to crap, do you want to have spent your last month at work?
That is a very profound statement. We probably could have retired before age 53, but I had to get beyond that belief that: a man is what he does... i.e. the job gives you "a purpose."

I have come to believe that waking up every morning gives me a purpose. There were people in my profession who said, "I'm going to work 'till I die." The meaning, of course, was that they enjoy what they do. But, they would also talk about how much they enjoyed their vacations and time off. Some had not planned for retirement, and couldn't afford to not work.

My mantra became: I can make more money, I can't make more time.
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:32 am quote
Larrytsg wrote:
And I understand your issue with spending an "inheritance", as unexpected and unearned as it may feel, the guilt of a large gift of cash can feel like a burden.
While our parents are alive, their possessions, including money, are attached to them - a part of them. After they are gone, the only attachment is inside us. The money is just money, like any other money, that you happen to have possession of. Your only job is to use it wisely, whatever that means to you. Holding on out of feelings of guilt or undeservedness serves no good purpose.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:01 am quote
lime blue crocs
Id rent a house somewhere warm for the winter n go hide for a bit .... its what i wanna do ...
ive worked it out n itd be possible for a couple of months if i do it on the cheap .... just need to find where to go that has a hospital near n a good expat group .... i told me lad me plan n he said hed come over for a week for a visit ....
off to see one of me specialists tomorrow for a routine check n im gonna ask her advice while im there ... would it be a wrong move for me ....
i really cant stay here with the outlaws i have .... im sick to death of the venom they spit and snide remarks they slip into conversations .... i just wanna step outta my shoes for a bit n live like its not happening...

ive just started reading 'a better life for half the price' by tim leffel ... it arrived this morning

so thats my idea with a little rant thrown in ....

we know youre the adventurist bill so go adventure .... [man hugs]

Last edited by T5bitza69 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123456Next
[ Time: 0.3128s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0550s) ][ Debug on ]