Possible retirement at 54/ Bill's Medical Malady
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...101112Next
Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:02 am quote
Larrytsg wrote:
spent a buttload on my kids college
as a parent of 7/5YO who was just reminded by ELEMENTARY SCHOOL to fund 529s asap, this phrase made me cry a bit inside.

happy new school year to all the parents. My goal this year is to take both the kids on the BV to school somehow, and park it in front of the vice principal. That'll show her.

to OP: man, retiring at 53 seems awfully young. I think I'd be bored out of my mind. I know my parents were when they retired at 63. Also, how much discount did you get at Porsche?
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125/Kymco AK550 I don't care. You can quote me.
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 am quote
Oval
I could buy one at cost if I wanted but they aren't for me.

At most I'm going to treat myself to another understated motorcycle or at least a short vacation.

I feel that I owe it to them to make good use of the money that they'd taken so much care of so to "piss it up the wall" on material objects would be a crime.

Bill x
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:02 am quote
If you ask me, and you did, I'd say life is definitely telling you to indulge your non-work passions, at least for awhile.

But seems to me advice isn't what you need so much as questions:

How will your health situation constrain, say, travel? Do you need treatments every couple weeks etc.? Will your immune system by compromised? If so, might that change down the road?

Do you like to work?

Do you have an active social life outside of work so that you don't get lonely?

Do you *want to* fuck off (and given your situation no one in his right mind would judge you if the answer is "yes") or do you want to find more meaningful work?
eeee-bip
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:18 am quote
List
My medication consists of a monthly tableted chemo drug plus two regular blood tests in two different locations.

My last blood test ( yesterday ) showed that my blood is in good condition so the drugs are working.

My immune system is working just fine.

I like to work however I'm adjusting well to this enforced sabbatical.

Yes I have plenty of friends.

Would I be missed if I went travelling ? Who knows ?

Do I want to go off riding for a protracted period ? You bet cha.

Bill x
Hooked

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:46 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
I feel that I owe it to them to make good use of the money that they'd taken so much care of so to "piss it up the wall" on material objects would be a crime.
VERY encouraging to read a fiscally responsible take on inheritance . . so many just irresponsibly "blow it"!
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:59 am quote
Bill, Sorry to hear of your health misfortune. I have a friend who has survived cancer and lives his life by the mantra "no regrets".

Personally I would not do the on one week off one week. I would always feel like I am on and as such short change myself by not fully enjoying the off week. May something more along the lines of working a few months then taking a few months off.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:08 pm quote
sorenesness
I hate replying to threads like this ..... 'that bloody bitza wish he'd sod off trying to top everything anyone does' is how it feels .....

Enjoy yasen ya dont have to blow it .... I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want you to sit on it ....then what happens to it .....
me dad didn't write a will so me n me sister got nothing .... I say nothing my sis got a digital camera n I got his rugby superleage keyring .... my step mother n her son took it .... now he pissed it away on a house in spain that fell apart in the crunch but easy come easy go eh ....

I'm on here at the moment http://www.m.longtermlettings.com/ looking for somewhere for around what I paid mortgage a month ..... never done anything like this before n its scary but I need to do it ..... I feel like that firework that's been fizzing n is ready to fly but nobody knows when .... or should it just be kicked over n covered in water but nobody dare .... (hard to explain)

It is bloody hard not working after a lifetime of 50-70hr weeks tryin to make ends meet .... I feel like a fraud ..... whatever you do n wherever they are they'll be smiling I bet ☺
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:11 pm quote
Re: sorenesness
T5bitza69 wrote:
I hate replying to threads like this ..... 'that bloody bitza wish he'd sod off trying to top everything anyone does' is how it feels .....

Enjoy yasen ya dont have to blow it .... I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want you to sit on it ....then what happens to it .....
me dad didn't write a will so me n me sister got nothing .... I say nothing my sis got a digital camera n I got his rugby superleage keyring .... my step mother n her son took it .... now he pissed it away on a house in spain that fell apart in the crunch but easy come easy go eh.
Interesting, in most of the US she'd have gotten half and while the kids would split the other half.
eeee-bip
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:11 pm quote
licence
The problem with going back for a few months is that when I leave I'm going to let all those people down.

It would feel a bit selfish to tell them what they wanted to hear then do a runner when it suits.

Sorry, not for me.

I'd much rather wait until the probate arrives to see if there's really enough to retire on rather than "use" an employer to keep myself afloat in the meantime.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:20 pm quote
Re: sorenesness
cdwise wrote:
Interesting, in most of the US she'd have gotten half and while the kids would split the other half.
She was a very scary woman .... she had a hold over me dad somehow ... Nobody believed anything I said about her n she had us both kicked out just after we left school ... I moved in with a friends family after sleeping rough for a week ..... so me n me sis didn't fight ... We stayed away ....

Now I'm stealing this thread ... no I'm off bye
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:20 pm quote
Re: List
Bill Dog wrote:
My medication consists of a monthly tableted chemo drug plus two regular blood tests in two different locations.

My last blood test ( yesterday ) showed that my blood is in good condition so the drugs are working.

My immune system is working just fine.

I like to work however I'm adjusting well to this enforced sabbatical.

Yes I have plenty of friends.

Would I be missed if I went travelling ? Who knows ?

Do I want to go off riding for a protracted period ? You bet cha.

Bill x
As an American I honestly don't know the question to this: could you get the blood work done throughout the EU? Here in the States, Canada etc.?

I mean feasibly, insurance-wise, logistically etc.

My wife is a cancer survivor, since 2002, and her ongoing treatment includes a "hormone therapy" administered via a full-on chemo lab. It's $13,500 every three weeks (which is why I can never retire, given how health insurance works in the states), but something like $100 in Spain. ...they probably pay her to take it in Costa Rica

...anyway, her docs will let her skip a treatment etc. and that gives us freedom, and her oncologist has said that it would be possible to get it done overseas, but the logistics would be pretty, uh, interesting.

Mainly, though, it sounds like you know what you want to do, you have the means to do it, and you're at a really "good" place to be forced into just doing it.

So I says do it!

Last edited by tdrake on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
ET4 187
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:06 pm quote
Hello Bill Dog, health insurance as an early retiree should definitely be researched. You own a house, that's wonderful for you and works in your direction.

I was self employed and bailed out at 58 with some disability issues, nothing life threatening. This enabled though some retirement benefits that I chose not to refuse.

10 years on, what a wonderful choice! Still thrilled to get by decently, as I learned quickly that going to my beloved laboratory and doing what I loved to do, is nothing compared to knowing I can live in peace without work stresses and that life is short. Life starts to race after 65....and it's scary!

Still, I did not want to live to work anymore.

Health is more important.

You may learn that also, things you once thought were necessary, aren't anymore. Moreso, once you've achieved a healed status after an infliction.

Personally, a morning bike ride and on occasional stretches of road, seeing all the working folks sitting in traffic, lets me smile. I did good.

From here, I feel that after a while, you may find not working to get on your nerves....51 is rather young. Do a part time thing later on, you have abilities.

Just enjoy your life. Porsche, believe me will get over your absence.
eeee-bip
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:24 pm quote
go to
If I was to travel I could probably wangle a couple of months worth of medication from them which even though the ones I'm on a very expensive they are free to me because I pay into the National Heath Service via my taxes.

This is probably the reason that they want to monitor me every month - just to ensure they don't waste too much money on me.

I dropped into the dealership I worked at until a few weeks ago and it was very quiet so on the work front you're right , I won't be missed.

More coming.......

Last edited by Bill Dog on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 / GT60 (X2)/ ET4 (X2)/ ET2/ 78 P200/ 67 Sprint/ 09 GTS/ 03 Ruckus/ 13 946/ 16 Prima 70/ 15 Sprint
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:12 pm quote
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, best of luck and results to you.

SDG
Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 pm quote
This applies to everyone:

Ask 'em for a hefty raise. If they say no, quit. You clearly are not needed there.
Enthusiast
2009 Vespa GTS 250 SOLD
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:14 pm quote
Coming from a senior lady... do what YOU love and what fits for you financially and take the BEST care of yourself.... have fun....

Best of health and many blessings sent your way
Hooked
BV 350 ABS/ASR
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:06 pm quote
The quality of life can go down as we age. Your choice on your time line. That being said, I retired at 58.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:40 pm quote
tonyc wrote:
…..retiring at 53 seems awfully young. I think I'd be bored out of my mind. I know my parents were when they retired at 63.
I've been retired now for 6 years and being bored is the least of my worries. I've got so much stuff going on each day that the real issue is how I sort through what I am actually going to spend time on. I travel, I boat, I carry out projects at home, I do things with friends, I volunteer time with organizations that interest me, I read, I write, and I ride scooters! Damned if I know when I'd have time to work for someone else, doing something I don't want to do anyway. Bored? No, I don't know the meaning of the word. Though I am a bit worried about folks who say they really don't know what they'd do with their free time. Once you can make the money work...…..
eeee-bip
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:21 pm quote
Busy
Thank you once again for all of your advice.

It's all proving to be very beneficial as I try to figure out what the right thing to do is.

I'm thinking that the best route would be to take the next year off to see what the CML does while at the same time travel a bit more, possibly on a motorcycle.

If I can afford to live within my means ie pay myself roughly what I was earning before then I'll probably retire.

Yesterday I turned down a position at Land Rover and another one at a Motorcycle dealer just because it wouldn't be fair on them when many things are still in the air.

It's not the fact that i don't want to work, I just don't want to say yes when I'm still dealing with the fall out of it all.

Thanks again.

Bill x
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:04 am quote
Re: Time
Bill Dog wrote:
A time frame is really hard to judge as the drugs I'm taking seem to be working but will they cure it ? Who knows.

The real fear is that they stop working one day and the condition resorts to the acute version and then I'm really in the shit.

I'm being monitored by two hospitals twice a month so if things go up the shitter they'll know pretty soon.

It's a waiting game but also a reminder that we are all incredibly fragile.

More coming.

Jim, I'm very much in agreement with you on your last paragraph.

I think that that's the way it's going to go.

Bill x
Bill as a fellow Britishlander in the same South East of England, I can really sympathise with your plight. Firstly, you may have seen the news today the the BBC is running that the NHS is now launching a new treatment for blood cancers. Initially it's for severely ill kids, but it's ground breaking and a game changer. It uses the bodies own immune system to kill off your blood cancer, if I'm right, by genetically engineering the cancer cells so your bodies own immune system can recognise them and kill them. It's called personalised cancer treatment or some such thing. It works! It is available in 3 weeks to kids and will be used to treat a variety of cancers in the wider population a bit later. It's hugely expensive and will only be used at the moment on the most severe cases. So I think if the drugs ever stopped workiing, there are other things that will help you. And incidentally, a work colleague from long ago developed the same type of blood cancer. He is still going strong 10 years on and he was quite a severe case.

Regarding retirement, I'd take it if your money can last out. If you own your house you can also release capital from it but retain the ownership of the house until you move or die. That can be a great way to finance whatever you want to do. I retired when I was 59 due to ill health (I'm now completely fine due to surgery), but I worked a bit from home afterwards for a couple of years. I was tight for money to start with but have now taken a couple of my private pensions which make a big difference. We (my wife and I) own our house and we don't owe anything to anyone so we can pretty much do as we like. I get my state pension in 4 months time too so financially we're very good. I could also release capital from my home if ever we want to do that.

However, retiring is fun and you will be busy. It just happens to work out that way over time, no matter who you are. I service a few bikes for folks, see old workmates, dine out with my wife and friends often, ride my bike, tinker with my cars and bikes, build computers, write articles for University studends on engineeering courses, go for walks and hikes, go to shows, read books, watch films etc etc and too many other things to mention. JUST DO IT! You won't regret it as long as you are financially stable. Good luck Bill. Message me if you want to meet up sometime for a chat.
eeee-bip
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:39 am quote
Past
Yeah lets do that.

Oh, I'm seeing a Financial Adviser on Tuesday.

Bill x
Hooked
ET4 187
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:53 pm quote
Bill said; "If I can afford to live within my means ie pay myself roughly what I was earning before then I'll probably retire".

Well now that would be quite a feat! I'll tip my hat to a 51 yr. old that achieves such golden status!

Bill, if you are not prepared to accept lesser than full pay status then you should immediately rid yourself of such dreams. You have to make the choice, live so further, or live with perhaps lesser luxuries. Should you choose to hang on to the first, you will lose.

If you have the means anyway, why do you even ask here?
Addicted
Bea 2007 LX150.
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:25 pm quote
this: "Bottom line for me is purpose. If you're doing something you love, and it's engaging, you might want to hang on longer. If work is just a means to an end, may be time to give it up and do something you'd rather do. It may be better for you in the long run." Fledermaus

and this: "The money is just money, like any other money, that you happen to have possession of. Your only job is to use it wisely, whatever that means to you. Holding on out of feelings of guilt or undeservedness serves no good purpose." MP Frank

Being in the trust business I see some that have your attitude. I didn't earn it.. do I deserve it.... or the other extreme... why aren't they dead yet so I can get my hands on it.

Most parents of our generation saved and scrimped so they could leave money, house and possessions to their children. even if it was a dime. they believed that it was their responsibility as parents to take care of their children no matter what the age of that child.

Sounds as if you are on your way to making the decision you need for your life right now. and it doesn't always stay the same decision between today and tomorrow.
eeee-bip
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:39 pm quote
Place
The reason I asked is because there's a wealth of experience in this place and right now I really don't know what I should plan for.

I'm asking advice from the people who, who have lived it so to speak because I'm still learning.

I've also had rather a lot on my mind so rather than distract myself with guilty pleasures I'm asking to be guided by those who have experience on their side.

That's why.

Bill x
Ossessionato
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:22 pm quote
My father worked 6 days a week until he was in his 80s. He knew himself well enough to realize what an important role his job played in his life: he drew his self-worth from financial success, he enjoyed the social aspect of working with a team and he loved the challenge of engineering and problem solving each new project brought. He only retired because he was physically unable to continue. And, just as he predicted, he died within two years.

I thought I would be like him because I loved my job, too. But I retired in my 40s. It was the best decision I ever made. I live a comfortable life well within my financial means and enjoy the freedom to travel and/or take on projects of my choosing. I am not bored or lonely or experiencing any of the other pitfalls others describe.

Ultimately, it is a decision only you can make. The only thing I can add is reassurance that your decision does not have to be final. You said you might take a year or so off. If you decide you miss the income, challenge or social aspects of work, you can always get a job. I'm willing to bet having the time off will give you a little room to breathe, manage your grief and maybe get a fresh perspective on what you want your life to be.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:06 pm quote
I'll add to my and others' comments that once you retire, within days you'll wonder how you ever found the time to go to work.

No animal including humans has ever evolved to 'work' in our western society sense. It's just how our society is structured that we find we must in order to obtain food and shelter. Once you don't need to do that, it's time to indulge curiosity, to explore, to feel quite happy just contemplating the world around us.

No more hesitation Bill - once you've had reassurance that your financial situation is sound just get on with life as it should be lived.
Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 pm quote
What Jim said. He nailed it.
Addicted
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede"
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:55 am quote
Hey Bill

I'm also facing some life challenges so I can offer a degree of empathy.

That done, on to the practical stuff.

55, that's the magic age in the UK. If you can string things out until you are 55 you will find more help as regards what to do with a sum of money. Annuities and drawdown have 55 as their trigger age.

Setting up a pension drawdown scheme could possibly be the best bet for you given the limited details. hat way you can take out as much as you need to either supplement an income from part time work, or just draw it as your source of income.

If you decide to retire,at 53 check your National Insurance contributions and make sure you have enough for full state pension at 67. If you don't, then one option is to make yourself self employed and pay the minimum contributions to get the entitlement.
eeee-bip
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:36 pm quote
Plaster
I agree with you Cap.

There's a bond laying around that will mature in a year when I'm 55 so that will boost things up a bit.

I'm going to see the Financial Adviser that took care of my parents affairs on Tuesday and go from there but for now I'm planning to gamble on probate being granted in the next couple of months then at minimum take the next year off to figure out what's possible.

Without doubt it's a very interesting time.

Bill x
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 am quote
Bill, it sounds like youi are doing all the right things. Good luck!

I pm'd you by the way in response to your pm. Thanks...
eeee-bip
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:45 am quote
Batter
I'm trying to be rational about the short as well as the long term.

I think in times like these it's wise to listen to the advice of others and take a while over deciding on the best plan of action.

12 months seems like a reasonable time frame.

Bill x
Addicted
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:37 am quote
Go do this too.

It's free!

https://www.pensionwise.gov.uk/en?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_fjf8I6p3QIVY7HtCh1SUAZLEAAYASAAEgL6jvD_BwE&dclid=COP-8vSOqd0CFQZi0wodmkwL9A

It's a great lead in to understanding the minefield of pensions, SIPPs, drawdown, annuities et al
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:38 am quote
Re: lime blue crocs
T5bitza69 wrote:
Id rent a house somewhere warm for the winter n go hide for a bit .... its what i wanna do ...
ive worked it out n itd be possible for a couple of months if i do it on the cheap .... just need to find where to go that has a hospital near n a good expat group ....
Thailand? I have a mate in Chorley who comes here about 4 times a year he can fill you in on the costs as he sees them. If you want....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:00 am quote
sulfer
its gotta be close to home ... i know the weather will be poor but we is thinkin costa del sol ..... its so me lad can visit n bring me some more tablets so i dont run out .... i did a 5 1/2hr flight earlier this year n it was no fun ....
its not really about the weather its getting away from her family .... their true colours have really come out n i cant be near them at the mo ....
id hate to be at my FUNeral ... all my mates get the brunt of my hatred for them n theyll be there.. evil eyes all round
eeee-bip
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 pm quote
Timeshift
If there is a blessing about having some time away from work it's given me time to deal with the Hospital, the Lawyers and the Estate Agents ( Realtors) because we all know that the dealing with the above is never a quick and easy process.

If there's an issue with something ( and there have already been a few ) I can deal with it there and then not have to take time away from work.

I have to be honest, I don't miss it.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
px 200, lxv 125
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:34 am quote
I have no idea about your illness but if it is diabiitating then

sell the house buy a static
that way no council tax as long as you leave for a month each year (so not classed as a permanent address)
free your capital from the house (so the government cant take it if you nead care)

I have been doing the figures for myself I can't aford to stop for another 9 years, pension age is 67 now!

one thing for sure is you spend less money if you are not at work.

I know its not scooters but some good tips to survive long term without a real income. some good advice
https://ourtour.co.uk/home/money-and-financial-freedom/
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:26 am quote
Bjorn Toulouse wrote:
one thing for sure is you spend less money if you are not at work.
This sure hasn't been the case around our house since my wife retired!
eeee-bip
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:39 am quote
Opposite
Actually I'm in agreement as I've been spending a lot less since I stopped working.

I had a very productive meeting during which I got some very good unbiased advice which I'll share with you tomorrow as there was a lot to think on.

The illness allows me to get on with my days just as long as my white cell production can be reigned in with the help of daily tableted chemo plus regular hospital visits so not selling the house.

Bill x
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:31 pm quote
Seven years ago I found out I had hodgkins lymphoma and thought I was going to die. I did 5 and a half months of chemo and would be considered cured, but that word isnt used with cancer. The doctors don't have a test they can give me to show any evidence of cancer. For the last five years I just check in with my oncologist once a year. I'm about your age. Seriously, concentrate on your health with the best doctors you can get, but enjoy your life. Tablets are easier to deal with than the harsh chemicals in your arms.
Addicted
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:14 am quote
Re: Opposite
Bjorn Toulouse wrote:
I know its not scooters but some good tips to survive long term without a real income. some good advice
https://ourtour.co.uk/home/money-and-financial-freedom/
Interesting stuff indeed. Thanks for posting that link.
Bill Dog wrote:
I had a very productive meeting during which I got some very good unbiased advice which I'll share with you tomorrow as there was a lot to think on.
Please do. I would be very interested in hearing it.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...101112Next
[ Time: 0.1659s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0352s) ][ Debug on ]