Rocketman or Slowski Riding Style
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:54 pm quote
What is your Style?

The answer may be somewhat self apparent because we are riding scooters and not sport bikes. Still, even in my riding group, some like to really highball
down the road like you are in a short sprint to the finish.

I like "paved" back roads that wind through the most scenery I can find.
I like 35-45 mph as a pace to take in the surroundings. Posted speed on
these out back routes is usually 55 mph. I usually encounter no other traffic.

On these same roads, a pack of six Harleys will scream by at +70 mph just
barely negotiating curves.

I just don't get blazing down freeways at 70-85 mph. I just don't get blazing down back roads like a race at Le Mans.

Bob Copeland
Warming Up in MInnesota

dsc06002_30310737206_o.jpg
Group Riding with the Mpls Heckys Angels

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:18 pm quote
Depends on where I'm going and why. I will almost always do at least the posted speed sometimes a bit faster. A kitted Vespa really wants to go a little faster than 45 MPH but not much but it really depends on my mood. On the Ural I'm happy at the slower speeds and it is more of a sit back and take in the surroundings kind of ride. The BMW? Oh yeah at least the posted speed.
Molto Verboso
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:42 pm quote
Depends
Harbinger,

Good Point. I usually am taking the expressway to a ride kick off point
at top speed - purpose - just get there. Also, in my State of Minnesota you can fudge +5 - +10 over the limit and not be stopped by the police. This applies
on the expressway with speed limits posted 55 mph to 70 mph.

But, when I "Get off Broadway" I like to cruise easy.

Bob Copeland
Slowski
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:56 pm quote
I purposefully bought something that will not go over 100 MPH, because I like going really fast to much and didn't want to end up in jail.
Over 100 MPH in Va. and you get a go to jail free card if you are caught.
Was 80 MPH for a while but when the MPH is 70 the you go to jail at 80 MPH lots of people were going to jail.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:25 pm quote
Re: Rocketman or Slowski Riding Style
Bob Copeland wrote:

Bob Copeland
Warming Up in MInnesota
I usually pass those guys.

Bill
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:29 pm quote
Someone years ago said on MV thatmitís more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast like slow.

Me, usually speed limit
Addicted
2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:41 pm quote
As I get older, I'm getting more cautious. My eye-hand coordination, cross scan, and ability to process multiple inputs are all noticeably (to me) declining.

I used to be able to process multiple lanes of high speed traffic, bad road surfaces, radio blasting, and rapidly changing conditions. Now, not so much.

Now I prefer country two lanes, 55 mph or less, gently sweeping curves, and fair weather. Alternately, I'm comfortable with surface street riding off peak hours, fetching coffee, and running small errands in light traffic.

I gave up the SilverWing last month 'cause I just wasn't happy on the interstates, and it wasn't happy in city traffic.

Still riding, though. With style.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:16 pm quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
I prefer country two lanes, 55 mph or less, gently sweeping curves, and fair weather. Alternately, I'm comfortable with surface street riding off peak hours, fetching coffee, and running small errands in light traffic.
Yes, that mostly describes my style as well.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:17 pm quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Bob Copeland wrote:

Bob Copeland
Warming Up in MInnesota

Bill
You beat me to it.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:28 pm quote
"More fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

I'm the aggressive driver passing you and the gaggle of potato mashers. (potato-potato-potato) "Get out the way!"

Bought the MP3 because it has half the horsepower and still 2/3 the weight of the big bike. Been riding and driving too fast for so long that it doesn't even consciously register anymore. Not a good situation to be so complacent about it.

Now I can ride the scoot hard and still stay below the "go to jail" threshold.
Hooked
Bo - midnight blue GT200 R.I.P. Tethys - 300 GTS Titanium
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:51 pm quote
moody
Some days I'm on the interstate going downhill with full throttle and full tuck. Other days I'm toodling alongside creeks and through hills and dales...

All depends on what kind of therapy I need that day.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:54 pm quote
Count me as a Slowski!

My P200 tops out for me around 50 mph. It will probably go faster, but that's where I feel comfortable.

And that's all right with me.
Hooked
GTS 300
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:01 pm quote
For me , it all depends on a lot of factors, but mostly I ride at or slightly above the posted limit.

By my self it can be a pokey mokey day and that's fine.

I do however get a kick out of running circles around the loud pipe folks in the twisty bit's.

Add SQUID's in to that also , I love it when we get to the top of the mountain and I pull off my helmet and they see all this grey hair and start asking questions about how I did that and was so smooth hitting those apex's

For the most part many of them would not stand a chance against anyone with a bit of rider training.

You really do not need to go terribly fast , just smooth and steady and that's how I do it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:10 pm quote
Depends on mood and whether I've got people with me. Still, I tend to lean on the fast side. Something about curves that make me want to speed up rather than slow down. Straightaways are more like the speed limit.
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:56 pm quote
It depends. Itís hard to go the speed limit (or below it) many places here in Connecticut - People will be on your arse and will get angry that you are holding them up. I was once riding my Yamaha Vino 125 up a hill near my house. The little Vino 125ís throttle was wide open, and I was going a little above the posted speed limit of 35 mph (the speedometer said 40mph, so I was probably going around 36mph). A truck passed me in a ďno passing zoneĒ while honking loudly. It scared the crap out of me. I sold the Vino 125 soon after that incident... Too slow.

That being said, I hate slow drivers (those who drive the speed limit or slightly above it) when Iím in a rush. Iím usually running late to work, so I tend to accelerate and drive as quickly as I can until I get caught behind another driver. If Iím not behind another vehicle, I run the risk of some slow driver pulling out in front of me and then going slow and holding me up even more. Luckily, as Robot once said in a video, scooters seem to be invisible to police. I drive like mad all the time and havenít been pulled over on the scooter yet.

If Iím not in a hurry and no one is behind me, Iíll chill and do the speed limit or a little above it. Iíll often drive faster than Iíd prefer as a courtesy to those driving behind me. Most people here ignore speed limits, and so it is the norm to go faster than the posted limit. People doing the speed limit and holding up a line of cars in a ďno passing zoneĒ are considered rude.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:17 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
I purposefully bought something that will not go over 100 MPH, because I like going really fast to much and didn't want to end up in jail.
Was 80 MPH for a while but when the MPH is 70 the you go to jail at 80 MPH lots of people were going to jail.
I just traveled through your state. The eastern part(Norfolk) was great. As I traveled west it became a cauldron of confederate flag waving aresholes.
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:17 pm quote
On my own I ride at a docile pace. Thrown in a group ride my racing past boils to the surface. I start clipping apexes, listening to the engine to keep it in the proper gear and mark my braking points by the groups progress. It's great fun running all over hundred cubic inch V-Twins with a 250 Honda Nighthawk. I did a rally on the scooter but not shifting wasn't as much fun although running with the big bikes on an underpowered China scoot was a hoot.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:19 pm quote
Re: moody
KimPossible wrote:
Some days I'm on the interstate going downhill with full throttle and full tuck. Other days I'm toodling alongside creeks and through hills and dales...

All depends on what kind of therapy I need that day.
That's pretty much my style as well though far more toodling than tucking. How's life in the fast lane now? You're a long way from Happy Valley riding now.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:49 pm quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Bob Copeland wrote:

Bob Copeland
Warming Up in MInnesota

Bill
I like to ride the speed limit or a little faster. I was doing that one day, when Bill passed me like I was standing still. Damn near stepped off the bike at 60 mph to see why I had stalled.
Molto Verboso
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:08 am quote
Rocketman or Slowski
Sort of a consensus:

A bunch of you enjoy and have "A Need For Speed". I was more like that in
my younger years - not so much now.

With due respect, I do not impede traffic. Even on a two lane country road,
I will pull off the road if necessary to allow rear approaching traffic to not have to slow down. Also, I am not self righteous - I will get out of the way no matter how fast you are going.

Whether in a vehicle or on the scoot, I do not care how fast other vehicles go.
If the same speedster then tailgates the next guy in thick traffic with no possible way forward - he/she is just plain stupid.

Robert Copeland
Minnesota
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:35 am quote
Lester Bangs wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
I just traveled through your state. The eastern part(Norfolk) was great. As I traveled west it became a cauldron of confederate flag waving aresholes.
What you saw was NOT the confederate flag it was the Virginia Battle Flag and you see them all over the state. For some reason our flag has been turned into the confederate flag, which it is not
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:08 am quote
wind noise at anything above 60 is ,while bearably, troublesome. In Asia roads are not good enough and there are hills
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:20 am quote
Me too.

35-45 on a lone country road is just heaven.

A curvy country road with good visibility and no traffic, sometimes 55 mph just for the sake of it. Used to be a bit more, but not often nowadays.

Ridind faster among traffic... well, can do it for a while, but often would rather be driving or better yet, skip it all together.

My preference is to ride a fast bike slow, go figure.
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:45 am quote
Definitely slow for me.

Love cruising past the cars in traffic.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:05 am quote
I ride totally different from how I drive.

Driving, I set my cruise typically at ~2MPH over the speed limit. If I'm passing a semi and a car comes up behind me wanting to pass, I usually make no change to my speed (sometimes I'll tap up 1-2 MPH). If said car tailgates me, I'll slow down. Yeah, I know it is irritating. It's irritating to be tailgated, so there... So I drive slowski.

Anyway, when I'm riding, it's typically a couple miles per hour faster (or so...) and if someone is coming up behind me I speed up to avoid confrontation. Still irritating that fast drivers think I should get out of their way, but oh well. Not like I'd win a contact-interaction in that situation.

Every once in a while I get a bur in my saddle and ride fast. And if I come up on a car slowly passing a semi, I almost always keep at least 2 seconds gap in front. Normally when I ride I leave 4 seconds ahead, which is easy given the times of day I'm on the interstate.
Molto Verboso
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:41 pm quote
Driving in the Passing Lane
Madison Sully,

As a born and raised Minnesotan, I am surprised you have let those Wisconsin Cheese Heads impact you. Wisconsin drivers are notorious for driving the exact speed limit in the left passing lane on the freeway, backing up traffic behind them with a smug expression on their face - "Obeying The Law Don't Cha Know".

When I was living in Italy, the left lane on the "Autostrada - Freeway" was
for passing. You were not even suppose to be in the left lane unless you were passing. Essentially, you were to yield to the faster vehicle. I was maybe 23 years old at the time and actually enjoyed the aggressive driving that was Italia.

This aggression would even surprise when they would swing up on the sidewalk to get around me. Vroom, Vroom Vroom - Viva Italia. Car horns were musical instruments and safety meant leading the pack.

Disclosure: I have road with Sully. He is a experienced exceptional driver.

Bob Copeland
Lake Wobegon Minnesota
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:53 pm quote
Re: Driving in the Passing Lane
Bob Copeland wrote:
Madison Sully,

As a born and raised Minnesotan, I am surprised you have let those Wisconsin Cheese Heads impact you. Wisconsin drivers are notorious for driving the exact speed limit in the left passing lane on the freeway, backing up traffic behind them with a smug expression on their face - "Obeying The Law Don't Cha Know".

Bob Copeland
Lake Wobegon Minnesota
Virginia got tired of those drives and if you are going slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane in Va. $250 fine first offence.
It doesn't matter if the flow of traffic is 20 MPH over the speed limit, it's not the other drivers job to regulate traffic speed
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:27 pm quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
Madison Sully,

When I was living in Italy, the left lane on the "Autostrada - Freeway" was
for passing. You were not even suppose to be in the left lane unless you were passing. Essentially, you were to yield to the faster vehicle. I was maybe 23 years old at the time and actually enjoyed the aggressive driving that was Italia.

This aggression would even surprise when they would swing up on the sidewalk to get around me. Vroom, Vroom Vroom - Viva Italia. Car horns were musical instruments and safety meant leading the pack.

Disclosure: I have road with Sully. He is a experienced exceptional driver.

Bob Copeland
Lake Wobegon Minnesota
Just to be clear, I'm only in the left lane if I am actively passing the vehicle to my right. I don't EVER "hang out" in the left lane.
I simply pass at the pace I am driving.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:29 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Bob Copeland wrote:
Madison Sully,

Bob Copeland
Lake Wobegon Minnesota
Virginia got tired of those drives and if you are going slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane in Va. $250 fine first offence.
It doesn't matter if the flow of traffic is 20 MPH over the speed limit, it's not the other drivers job to regulate traffic speed
From what you describe, I would not get one of those tickets.
I am always in the right lane, except to pass.
So if traffic really is 20+ over the speed limit, I'm hanging out in the right lane.

So there.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:31 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Bob Copeland wrote:
Madison Sully,

Bob Copeland
Lake Wobegon Minnesota
So if traffic really is 20+ over the speed limit, I'm hanging out in the right lane.

So there.
20 is for the people just going with the flow, there are lots that go a lot faster. Rt 95 and the Washington Beltway are like race tracks with people seeing who can go the fastest.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:58 pm quote
Ditto with the left lane but I will stay in it for a bit of passing a group of cars for like say an exit or two. I feel safer if I can leave some buffer and if in the left lane and someone comes tearing up the road I always pull over a lane to let them pass.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:15 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Bob Copeland wrote:
Madison Sully,

Bob Copeland
Lake Wobegon Minnesota

So there.
20 is for the people just going with the flow, there are lots that go a lot faster. Rt 95 and the Washington Beltway are like race tracks with people seeing who can go the fastest.
Do you have a problem with Semis going 65 because they are speed limited?
Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:02 am quote
I will only address riding on two wheels and not meander through the weeds about cars, tractors and jet planes.

My most comfortable speed is on a back road at 50 mph. This gives time to look, do u-turns to see what I saw and generally enjoy the ride. Some people think that if the speed limit is 65 you have to do 65 because you are an impatient driver. I don't care. I have the same right to the road at 45 as you do at 85. I don't let it bother me.

I was just reviewing my trip across the US on the Vespa 150. I started noticing the speed-o-meter in the pictures. Almost all are between 30-50. I remember sometimes not being able to get over 50 downhill due to the winds. I did have a stretch of US-66 on the interstate in Arizona. Speeds up hill were only 40 mph indicated. Now, you speed demons are bad mouthing me in front of your computer. But.....I was passing trucks up the hill. So, there is a mental thing about scooters. Mentally people accept a tractor trailer going slow up a hill or a farm tractor going down the highway, but get agitated at a scooter. Probably because they have a misconception that it is dangerous and we should not be there.

All that said I am very aware that a impatient driver is dangerous. If there are cars backing up behind me, I will pull over or speed up if possible. Only one time did I have a scare and that was with a tractor trailer driver who passed me and forced me on the shoulder. However, in proof that there is a scooter god, about a mile down the road he was setting on the side of the road with two police cars with flashing lights interviewing him.

Ride as fast as you wish. I know when WLeuthold need for speed over takes him, he will rip past me and run as fast as he can until his need for speed is satisfied and then he will fall back in line and that is perfectly fine. I must report that as he ages this is happening less and less.

P1010159.JPG
Downhill at 40 mph

Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:38 am quote
I ride for the conditions (road surface, traffic, etc). When in traffic, I try to go with the flow. I use cars around me to run interference, especially when going through intersections. I check my mirror before stopping for a yellow light. I still look both ways when starting out on a green light. (Texas is notorious for the red light meaning: only 3 more cars.)

My preference is for being on twisty roads without a lot of traffic, and then I'll run at the speed that suits me... generally "in the vicinity" of the speed limit, perhaps a bit more. Sometimes a bit less to take in the sights and smells.

I'm not above making a "fellow 2-wheel enthusiast" have to work to pace me, but it isn't the reason I ride. I'm also OK with pulling to the side to let stupid people go around.

In over 50 years of riding, I have gotten off hard a couple times; survived a left turner. I know that a stupid driver can change my life in an instant, so I try to stay mindful. There were bikes I had in the past that made me feel bullet-proof, but this scoot doesn't seem to fuel that testosterone... and I can just enjoy the ride.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:43 am quote
David Masse wrote:
I like to ride the speed limit or a little faster. I was doing that one day, when Bill passed me like I was standing still. Damn near stepped off the bike at 60 mph to see why I had stalled.
That moment was on a wonderful Oyster Tour approaching Cedar Key. We were approaching a road I knew was fun, a few curves with no traffic. So I held back, thinking I would get some speed in and recatch Ken and David. But they got concerned about my dropping off the pace and slowed for me to catch up. That left me no space to have fun so I just blasted by them. I continued to a spot with a beautiful view of the estuary. They came along after a few minutes.
lostboater wrote:
Ride as fast as you wish. I know when WLeuthold need for speed over takes him, he will rip past me and run as fast as he can until his need for speed is satisfied and then he will fall back in line and that is perfectly fine. I must report that as he ages this is happening less and less.
Riding with Ken, thousands of miles over the past 6 years, has taught me to slow down and enjoy the ride. He usually has planned stops at interesting spots, and I have found I enjoy these as much as racing on the scooter. So I never pick a race with him anymore. But riding solo, I still like to ride as fast as I can safely. Faster than most.

Bill

IMG_0617.JPG
David flying a few miles before the overtaking.

IMG_0662.JPG
My stopping place, waiting for the boys.

IMG_0577.JPG
One of Ken's planned stops near Crawfordville, Florida.

Hooked
Looking
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:42 am quote
My riding buddy took a track day in Atlanta.
He was playing Ricky Racer and thought he was fast....until Kevin Schwantz passed him on the outside of a turn.....with a passenger on the back.
Talk about a smackdown!
Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:35 am quote
Every ride is a mix. Every time. On my street and in neighborhoods I try to be respectful, an uncorked PM Tuning is awfully loud. Once on streets with lights I ride quite aggressively. Pretty much blast off at every light and first to the next one to repeat the process. Only have to get on a freeway occasionally but then it becomes a game of catching speeders because itís just too fun to see all the surprised looks and Iím addicted to the sound. These Vespas just never stop being fun.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:21 am quote
rob g wrote:
Every ride is a mix. Every time. On my street and in neighborhoods I try to be respectful, an uncorked PM Tuning is awfully loud. Once on streets with lights I ride quite aggressively. Pretty much blast off at every light and first to the next one to repeat the process. Only have to get on a freeway occasionally but then it becomes a game of catching speeders because itís just too fun to see all the surprised looks and Iím addicted to the sound. These Vespas just never stop being fun.
Ha! Yeah I can relate. I've only been back on the Vespa for about 5 days now that the snow is gone. After riding the Ural for a while I forgot how fast and loud the kitted Vespa is with the Remus pipe. Going wide open when merging on to rhe freeway is an absolute joy. What I do miss and constantly find myself doing is trying to lean in to the tank with my knee. Kinda hard on a Vespa...
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(43,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(29,000)
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:37 am quote
The open road is boring to me. I like the video game excitement of traffic.
Unless I'm going with traffic flow, I keep at 5mph above posted. But in stoplight to stoplight, It's like a drag race until I reach said 5mph above.
It's fun squirting through traffic and pissing off the air bag jockey's who think they can force their way ahead of me and fail.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:15 am quote
WLeuthold wrote:
That moment was on a wonderful Oyster Tour approaching Cedar Key. We were approaching a road I knew was fun, a few curves with no traffic. So I held back, thinking I would get some speed in and recatch Ken and David. But they got concerned about my dropping off the pace and slowed for me to catch up. That left me no space to have fun so I just blasted by them. I continued to a spot with a beautiful view of the estuary. They came along after a few minutes...
Oh dear lord that was such fun
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.3607s ][ Queries: 29 (0.0872s) ][ Debug on ]