2009 MP3 500 engine swap? now my new project MP3
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123
Hooked
2008 fuoco.T3 guzzi california outfit
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:03 pm quote
jerryd wrote:
yes the silencer is near 21 lbs. somehow someway that will be reduced. it will be my first focus after the body is done. I am considering cutting open the stock muff and rebuilding with lighter materials. if I am honest I love the way the stock exhaust sounds. and I am not crazy about loosing any torque with aftermarket muffs just to save 10-12 lbs. we'll see how we end up.
I think with the size of the under seat area you would be able to hide the original silencer . I must say for the small increase in noise ,for me the benefits of replacing with the leov is worth it. I am a enthusiastic user of it's bhp and have noticed no difference except for the handling improvement.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:53 am quote
3legsofman wrote:
Still think you want to junk the original silencer the weight saving as you know would be considerable ,i know your thoughts on keeping the noise down. What about putting the silencer under the seat by cutting out the potty ( underseat area) just like some ducatis and others.
The Ducati exhaust doesn't move up and down like a scooter exhaust.
Hooked
2008 fuoco.T3 guzzi california outfit
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
3legsofman wrote:
Still think you want to junk the original silencer the weight saving as you know would be considerable ,i know your thoughts on keeping the noise down. What about putting the silencer under the seat by cutting out the potty ( underseat area) just like some ducatis and others.
The Ducati exhaust doesn't move up and down like a scooter exhaust.
True never thought of that but were theres a will theres a way ( or relations)
Hooked
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:55 pm quote
round one failed attempt at making this muffler sound good. looked quite good on bike. saves 13.5 lbs. have more mufflers to play around with that were being discarded. this will end up being very time consuming. I made muffler for last 4g63 turbo car I built. It sounds amazing and quiet. so I am driven to succeed here. problem with bike muffler is exhaust path is so very short and not much room to work with.

this how I fill holes before paint. counter sink on both sides. cover with thin plastic. work epoxy in till white disappears. if technique is good very little to no body filler will be needed.
Hooked
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:47 am quote
started sanding panels. was debating whether bike would look better with one of these modern flat paint jobs. I think it look pretty good.

ordered a KN filter to play with. read some threads on the pod filter. I like everyone claims more power. hate that everyone admits its loud. so I will be challenged to build a new box that flows better but is almost as quite as stock box. my first two thoughts. most pod filters being used are likely way more filter than needed. and two from car filter experience I did notice filters from ebay that proclaimed to work like KN did not in the sense they were noisy compared to KN of same size or even larger. ordered RU-5111. seeing in person I hope this is small enough to be able to build a muffler around it.
Hooked
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:11 pm quote
finally pulled valve cover to check valve clearance. if i had known how easy that would be I would have done it sooner. painted cover with a wrinkle black. while waiting for paint to dry I pulled the cvt cover and stripped the paint off. I like the raw look.

found a muffler from liter bike . weight saving wont be huge. ~10lbs. and the muffler is a couple inches longer than stock. but my quick sound check left me hopeful. surprisingly quiet. muffler will be easy to adapt as far as custom goes. it has a four bolt inlet flange. and quiet a bit a space to add additional sound deadening material in the first section if needed.

Hooked
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 am quote
made a quick mount so it could be driven. and I am thrilled. its a little louder than stock at idle and putting around. maybe 10% or so. not at all annoying. just slightly deeper, softer more expensive sounding. anything above 30mph is as quiet or more quiet than stock. sounds very nice. its a keeper. saves 11lbs. now to think about finial mounting methods to make it look like it belongs.

Last edited by jerryd on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enthusiast
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 pm quote
Why did you sand down the paint? The paint seemed like it was in OK shape.

Maybe you were going after that rat rod/distressed look?
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:37 pm quote
Cool project!
sbaert wrote:
Why did you sand down the paint? The paint seemed like it was in OK shape.

Maybe you were going after that rat rod/distressed look?
I think OP was going to repaint... he mentioned considering a modern matter finish, but then came to like the distressed look.
Hooked
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:05 pm quote
the panels paint wise were in poor shape and will be repainted. the matt looks quite good in person. the matt effect is not easily captured . camera adds sheen that is not there.

I do like the tron look to it with the sanded edges. its getting more compliments with the current look.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:39 am quote
1 tip use a good plastic primer and a sealer before spraying a base coat and finish
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123
[ Time: 0.1867s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0740s) ][ Debug on ]