More Power for Vespa LX 125ie / cylinder kit experience
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 287
Location: Guatemala
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:38 am quote
Hi everyone,

I just bought a LXV 125ie and I am loving it. I also have a GTV 300 (Sei Giorni), however being a short woman -5.2 and inseam 29Ē - I really like how easy is to handle such a light scooter for urban environment . The only thing I would like to have is more torque for hills and initial acceleration, do not care about more top speed since will be using it in urban environment only.

After reading a lot here, it seems that the way to go is to install a Malossi 190cc cylinder kit. I found it at scooterwest for $550.

Can someone tell me if it is worth it? I dont want to do a lot of other changes.

Does anyone has long term experience with it, any problems that you have seen in the medium or long term?

(I am also planning on installing a louder horn and already ordered foot pegs for passanger).


Thank you!

51508590-D87D-4F7B-9C81-4C52C6275F88.jpeg

Hooked
2005 et4
Joined: 23 May 2015
Posts: 413
Location: oshawa ontario canada
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:53 pm quote
Malossi kits for the 150's are known to be reliable. Scooterpartsco ( a forum member and sponsor) has the kit for only $449.93. You could buy the Malossi variator upgrade with the money you save.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 287
Location: Guatemala
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:33 pm quote
duane1 wrote:
Malossi kits for the 150's are known to be reliable. Scooterpartsco ( a forum member and sponsor) has the kit for only $449.93. You could buy the Malossi variator upgrade with the money you save.
Thank you!!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5672
Location: New Zealand
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:27 pm quote
The 125 will haul ass with the kit, especially with its lower gearing.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 2698
Location: Bangkok
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:32 am quote
Buy a J Costa variator or bung some lighter Dr. Pulley sliders in and see what you think.
Dr. Pulleys should be 10-15% lighter than the 8.7 ie 9gm standard weights. so 9 x.85 = closer to 7.5 than 8. but 10% at 8g would also be OK.

There is a cost to installation but not as heavy as the 190 kit.

You will still zoom up the hills.

if you go 190 you will likely change the weights anyway.

I am in the same boat in Indonesia but have to find a scoot first. Depends on what is available locally.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 287
Location: Guatemala
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 am quote
duane1 wrote:
Malossi kits for the 150's are known to be reliable. Scooterpartsco ( a forum member and sponsor) has the kit for only $449.93. You could buy the Malossi variator upgrade with the money you save.
Thank you! I have never heard of scooterpartsco, I am so happy for the recommendation. Will buy the Malossi cylinder kit and malossi variator. Any other recommendation? I would rather not change the exhaust, I like my scooter to be quiet. Thnqks for the help!
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 2698
Location: Bangkok
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:23 am quote
I'm thinking/looking for a LXV 150 I like the handle bars and the lack of plastic around that area.
I'm also thinking about 190 but at 150 I might have enough with some different variator weights. Found a primavera thread on here where a guy used 9.5 Dr. Pulley sliders and got some decent results.

Then again I can get a 190 kit, ported head, fuel piggyback, camshaft and installation for about $420. But if I do that all at once i won't know which bits did what. The exhaust i will buy myself as I want a specific one. But they can of course install that as well. I won't be able to go much more than 50 mph because of traffic so I'm still pondering. I have to find the scooter first. There was a nice one but it was too early for me!

In your case if you are having it done also you might as well go 190 and variator . But i think the variator alone will do most of what you want. If a handy guy is doing it you could try that first. If you are paying real money to a real mechanic then cheaper to do together.

Oh where did you get the rear top bag? That would be cool if I could find one like that.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 287
Location: Guatemala
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:00 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
I'm thinking/looking for a LXV 150 I like the handle bars and the lack of plastic around that area.
I'm also thinking about 190 but at 150 I might have enough with some different variator weights. Found a primavera thread on here where a guy used 9.5 Dr. Pulley sliders and got some decent results.

Then again I can get a 190 kit, ported head, fuel piggyback, camshaft and installation for about $420. But if I do that all at once i won't know which bits did what. The exhaust i will buy myself as I want a specific one. But they can of course install that as well. I won't be able to go much more than 50 mph because of traffic so I'm still pondering. I have to find the scooter first. There was a nice one but it was too early for me!

In your case if you are having it done also you might as well go 190 and variator . But i think the variator alone will do most of what you want. If a handy guy is doing it you could try that first. If you are paying real money to a real mechanic then cheaper to do together.

Oh where did you get the rear top bag? That would be cool if I could find one like that.
I bought the motorcycle with the leather top bag, it seems the previous owner bought it from a guy in Hungary.

Indeed I will buy the 190 kit and variator and will try to do the job myself.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 2698
Location: Bangkok
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 pm quote
ValVitola wrote:
bag, it seems the previous owner bought it from a guy in Hungary.

Indeed I will buy the 190 kit and variator and will try to do the job myself.
If you are taking it to Guatemala then yes but if you are going to do the work in the US then doing the variator first is easier and you maybe surprised with the results. If that is not satisfactory then go 190. The work is not mutually inclusive.
Hooked
ET4 187
Joined: 14 Mar 2017
Posts: 324
Location: Germany
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:35 am quote
Greetings to Guatemala.

I have done the Malossi kit, and the Vespa became a new type of scooter. Very quick, and even with my wife riding along, the hills are no problem anymore!

You do not need a new variator! Save your money.

You do not need a new exhaust, either.

I highly recommend the kit, and from all over the world, it is an excellent choice. Better materials than original Vespa!

With the money saved from the variator, you might like to consider the longer Polini gear, costs less than Malossi variator. Even though the longer gear gives you more speed, the greater torque from the Malossi kit is better handled with the longer gear. Hills become anthills, and at all speeds you will notice a pleasant change, more power.

Michael
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 287
Location: Guatemala
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:59 pm quote
MichaelG wrote:
Greetings to Guatemala.

I have done the Malossi kit, and the Vespa became a new type of scooter. Very quick, and even with my wife riding along, the hills are no problem anymore!

You do not need a new variator! Save your money.

You do not need a new exhaust, either.

I highly recommend the kit, and from all over the world, it is an excellent choice. Better materials than original Vespa!

With the money saved from the variator, you might like to consider the longer Polini gear, costs less than Malossi variator. Even though the longer gear gives you more speed, the greater torque from the Malossi kit is better handled with the longer gear. Hills become anthills, and at all speeds you will notice a pleasant change, more power.

Michael
I ordered the kit Today, will first install it and try then then will consider Polini Gear. Thanks! Do you know if I need to change the battery and spark pluG
Thanks!
Hooked
ET4 187
Joined: 14 Mar 2017
Posts: 324
Location: Germany
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:37 pm quote
Hello, the upgrade will require a good strong battery. Even though the old battery I had was almost new, it was not strong enough to handle the somewhat higher compression. Eventually, I found a more powerful battery that still fit in place. You may also need a new starter relay along with the battery. I just replaced the 80A relay along with the battery and all was good. The relay is right next to the battery, it just plugs in, and was only a few dollars.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 287
Location: Guatemala
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:43 pm quote
MichaelG wrote:
Hello, the upgrade will require a good strong battery. Even though the old battery I had was almost new, it was not strong enough to handle the somewhat higher compression. Eventually, I found a more powerful battery that still fit in place. You may also need a new starter relay along with the battery. I just replaced the 80A relay along with the battery and all was good. The relay is right next to the battery, it just plugs in, and was only a few dollars.
Thank you Michael, which battery did you get?
Hooked
ET4 187
Joined: 14 Mar 2017
Posts: 324
Location: Germany
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:49 am quote
Hello, I haven't found the old bill yet, I'll continue looking. I do know it is a much stronger battery than the original size.

I measured the old battery and found one that has a much larger capacity, but would still fit in the compartment. It's for a big Ducati! Good power reserves.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 287
Location: Guatemala
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:32 am quote
Thank you!!!
Hooked
ET4 187
Joined: 14 Mar 2017
Posts: 324
Location: Germany
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:40 am quote
I still can't find the bill. I have to go now, but I'll just look at the battery and let you know tomorrow.
Addicted
Bea 2007 LX150.
Joined: 31 Jul 2015
Posts: 725
Location: Santa Fe
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:04 am quote
I out the Malossi kit on my 150 and love the difference, especially here at altitude. Gas mileage went down as expected but I really like having the extra spring in bea's ride!

Good luck. I don't think you can go wrong adding the kit!
Member
Vespa VX 125
Joined: 23 Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Location: Devon
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:30 pm quote
Interesting thread....I am but a newbie to the world of scooters...would anyone be kind enough to explain what these upgrades ( Malossi kits etc ) are and why they improve the ride?

Thanks in advance!
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Joined: 13 Sep 2017
Posts: 765
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:41 pm quote
jbr78 wrote:
Interesting thread....I am but a newbie to the world of scooters...would anyone be kind enough to explain what these upgrades ( Malossi kits etc ) are and why they improve the ride?

Thanks in advance!
Short answer: Aftermarket parts that increase performance and speed.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 287
Location: Guatemala
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:46 pm quote
jbr78 wrote:
Interesting thread....I am but a newbie to the world of scooters...would anyone be kind enough to explain what these upgrades ( Malossi kits etc ) are and why they improve the ride?

Thanks in advance!
With the Malossi cylinder Kit I am trying to obtain more power/accelaration uphill and when exiting. I will be able to tell you in a couple of weeks my impressions. I only drive the LXV125ie in urban environment, I like the size of the bike but dont like that lacks exiting power. I don want to do many changes, hopefully will not need th change the exhaust since I donít appreciate the noise the aftermarket ones make.

I will change the horn for a louder one and maybe a brighter light for the headlight. And will install a usb charger in the glve compartment. Maybe a hook for bags, like the one in the GTS or the one in the old vespas. My shocks have 3,000 kms and I find them acceptable. However I have never tried riding one with Bitubos/Carbones shocks so dont know if I am missing anything. I am used to driving a chinese scooter with terrible shocks, so for me the vespa ones seems heaven. Lol
Ossessionato
09 190s taormina
Joined: 08 Apr 2010
Posts: 2078
Location: Googleville
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:28 pm quote
ValVitola wrote:
Do you know if I need to change the battery and spark plug?
Battery will be fine, later injected bikes already have the bigger battery from the factory. Will need a different plug, correct one is listed in the kit instructions.
Member
Vespa VX 125
Joined: 23 Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Location: Devon
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:26 pm quote
Val.....can you explain to me why the cylinder kit will improve acceleration uphill? Is it simply bigger capacity fuel in each stroke? I am not mechanically minded but would like to understand!
Hooked
ET4 187
Joined: 14 Mar 2017
Posts: 324
Location: Germany
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:50 pm quote
jbr78 wrote:
Val.....can you explain to me why the cylinder kit will improve acceleration uphill? Is it simply bigger capacity fuel in each stroke? I am not mechanically minded but would like to understand!
If you don't mind me answering, the larger diameter cylinder and piston lets this motor produce more torque. Torque is what moves a vehicle initially, horsepower lets it go faster once spreed is achieved. In other words, for a street performing vehicle, not a race machine, torque is what achieves movement.

Higher the rpm's go, the more horsepower is produced and the faster the vehicle moves. Up hills and with more weight, torque is king. The 125 motor that becomes a 185/187, means 50% displacement increase. Much more torque. The scooter can handle hills and upgrades much easier, and with lesser rpm's. The motor works less.

At a traffic light, full gas off the line, the front wheels lifts for a split second. You can feel the lightness of the steering, there's air underneath the tire! Fun.

I use 8gram Dr.Pulleys with the standard variator. 9 gram did not work as well. I do have the overdrive gear though.
Member
Vespa VX 125
Joined: 23 Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Location: Devon
Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:49 pm quote
Thanks for the detailed and comprehensible answer! Youíve sold it to me...I now want one on my VX!
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 287
Location: Guatemala
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:02 pm quote
Malossi kit installed, no other performance change done. What a difference! Thank you everybody for your help. I installed a USB charger, passanger foot pegs, changed the handle grips, installed a hook and the cowl protectors.
Not sure if I will change the front shock for carbone Hitech or bitubo.
Happy now!

7A0EFDD3-4A96-4A08-A8F7-0BC132D58482.jpeg

7BEB72AA-2E92-41DE-A20B-F654A18BA4A5.jpeg

E8CA1A5F-4348-4F00-A4B7-2EC093D163C5.jpeg

Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2889s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0696s) ][ Debug on ]