@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
UTC quote
I know that several members here like the CanAm Spyder. I was just reading that BRP has released a new model in this line for 2019, the Ryker. https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/ryker/recreational.html

Apparently it's meant to appeal to younger riders by being sportier and less expensive than the Spyder.

Anyone planning to buy one?!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Looks like a fun ride. I see it more as something that I would add to the stable rather than as a primary ride. Maybe when I get old(er) I will look at the CanAM options but would require more storage and a 2 up option.

Still if I had the room and lived in a rural area this thing would be a blast I'm sure. Not too many here seem to have CanAm's though or at the very least I have read little about them on MV.

Many companies are trying really hard to market to the younger rider or offer something to get them to ride period.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Not too many here seem to have CanAm's though or at the very least I have read little about them on MV...
Two of the twelve riders on our Maxiscooter ride yesterday were on Can-Ams. (So technically they're not scooters -- we don't discriminate. )
Minn-Max Scooter of MN Ride Back into SW Wisconsin
OP
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Maybe when I get old(er) I will look at the CanAM options but would require more storage and a 2 up option.
I think this puts you in the Spyder demographic. It looks like they intentionally left out those aspects for the Ryker.
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
If I had to
If it gets to the point that I just can't balance a scooter/bike anymore, I might consider a Can Am.

But after riding bikes, the Can Am feels kinda clunky. They steer differently, and lean the wrong way, like a car. No more 'swoopy' feeling in corners. Distinctly heavier. And not especially fast/quick, relative to bikes. Just not that much fun.

Can see the attraction of the bigger, more expensive models to folks who tour, with the extra stability and storage space.

If I added one to my small collection of bikes and scooters, I doubt it would get taken out much.
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon
UTC quote
I'm not willing to buy anything that isn't simple to park in the wild, split traffic with or take precious space from my garage. I can park 4 scooters in that spot.

SDG
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
On a good day, A CanAm Spyder:

- looks rather cool

- can obviously carry some stuff, plus pillion

- has that "look, Ma, no-hands!" thing going (almost)

The other 98% of the time, I just can't see it: when I reach the point where I can't handle two wheels at all, I'm not certain how well I'll be able to handle any powered vehicle on my own, however many additional wheels there are. If it "has to be three", I'll take whatever the successor to the MP3 is by then.

I must admit, though, that if I had my choice of any three-wheeler on the planet, I'd be awfully sweet on this one:
And, hey, you can drift it...Furious 9, here I come!
And, hey, you can drift it...Furious 9, here I come!
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
Why is it necessary to wear a helmet with it? 15-20years ago, there was a company called Corbin (might be the seat company) that built a solo passenger, 3-wheeled electric car. I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a helmet when driving.

Best
Miguel
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
I must admit, though, that if I had my choice of any three-wheeler on the planet, I'd be awfully sweet on this one:
Oh, you bet! A Morgan 3 anyplace, anytime.
Miguel wrote:
Why is it necessary to wear a helmet with it?
Depends on where you are. If the State you are in registers the Morgan 3 as a motorcycle and helmets are required - there you are. If you are in a State which registers the Morgan 3 as a car or does not require a helmet on a motorcycle.....
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
UTC quote
No tengo mas dinero.

@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I will drive my Miata more when I feel that I can't ride safely.

It is a much better vehicle than the Can Am.

Bill
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I will drive my Miata more when I feel that I can't ride safely.

It is a much better vehicle than the Can Am.

Bill
If I was more into driving, yep, Miata would be top o' the four-wheel list.
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
Morgans
Cool idea. But not highly stable. On the old "Top Gear" show, with the original cast, they tried to 'drift' a Morgan, and came quite close to rolling it.

I believe the Can Am's have fairly restrictive stability control. A hooligan relative that owns one bemoaned the fact that he could't powerslide it on gravel roads or get it up on two wheels. Although his is one of the original ones.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
The allure of the Can Am isn't the reality. Can Am is all about older people both men and women who are afraid of two wheels or who, for medical reasons, can't ride two wheels any longer. It's not really fun, but good luck finding owners who will admit it.

There. I said it. And yes, I owned one. For all of three weeks.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
I like the idea of Ryker, a 3-wheeled bobber.... Razz emoticon

But, I would rather have a HD Trike, if I would be after a solid 3-wheeler, rather have 2 wheels at the back.

CanAm Spyders have mostly not done very well in tests around here....look fast, but are quite lardy in real life and not that good to ride fast either...or that's what I've read, never tried one myself.

Out of curiosity I checked the prices of a Spyder and Mazda MX-5 (the same as Miata in US.). We have heavy taxes on all motorized equipment....the Spyder was starting from around 30 000EUR and the Mazda from 40 000EUR - heck, I would take the Mazda too!

The latest MX-5 actually looks really nice, I haven't looked at those for a long time......mayby because in Finland only thing more stupid to own than a motorcycle is a convertible
Brand new Miata/MX-5 looking for an owner....
Brand new Miata/MX-5 looking for an owner....
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
Out of curiosity I checked the prices of a Spyder and Mazda MX-5 (the same as Miata in US.). We have heavy taxes on all motorized equipment....the Spyder was starting from around 30 000EUR and the Mazda from 40 000EUR - heck, I would take the Mazda too!

The latest MX-5 actually looks really nice, I haven't looked at those for a long time......mayby because in Finland only thing more stupid to own than a motorcycle is a convertible
I bought my Miata MX-5 11 years ago. It had 92,000 miles on it then but looked and ran great. $7,500 cash and it was mine.

The reason for the purchase was to run it in Autocross events in the area with my son. I ran most of them for 7 or 8 years, then stopped several years ago.

I have spent half of the purchase price on it in the last year but it now runs like new.

Look for a clean used one and the price drops significantly.

Bill
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
It does seem the Ryker has options for 2up or to add a top case for storage.

There is also saddlebag rack that can be added.

I'm sure there are folks out there would find this ride appealing. I think I like it better than the Spyder, but would really need to see it in person.

It certainly is less expensive than the Spyder. The top spec Ryker (Rally edition starts at $11,000) is $5000 less than the entry level Spyder (Starts at $16,000).
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
It looks like a lawn tractor.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Spyder
I once said I'd never have a 3-wheeler, but here I am with a 2013 Spyder RSS.
Keeps me on the road. Would much rather have a 2-wheeler but now I have balance issues.

Really miss my GTS250's.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
The allure of the Can Am isn't the reality. Can Am is all about older people both men and women who are afraid of two wheels or who, for medical reasons, can't ride two wheels any longer. It's not really fun, but good luck finding owners who will admit it.

There. I said it. And yes, I owned one. For all of three weeks.
I have owned one for about 6 months, and taken a couple multi-day vacations on it.

It's fun.

I prefer my MP3 500 for two-up vacations, but that's just not possible any longer.

So I'll go ahead and have my fun the way I can.
@zombies-nyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2011 GTS300 Super Duper - 2014 Honda CTX700ND

Molto Verboso
@zombies-nyc avatar
2011 GTS300 Super Duper - 2014 Honda CTX700ND
UTC quote
All the cons of a bike with all the cons of a car. The worst of both worlds.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
zombies-nyc wrote:
Yes they are weird and take some getting use to. Gas mpg isn't that good (about 30).........but they do keep a lot people riding 'almost' a motorcycle.

I was hoping, for me the MP3 500 would do the job, but didn't. I looked at the HD trike, that didn't work. Also looked at trike conversions, didn't like them at all.

I've been on 2-wheels for 50 years. So having to admit that Parkinson's was getting a little worse, was a tough one for me. You just make the best of the situation and move on.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Turkman wrote:
zombies-nyc wrote:
Yes they are weird and take some getting use to. Gas mpg isn't that good (about 30).........but they do keep a lot people riding 'almost' a motorcycle.

I was hoping, for me the MP3 500 would do the job, but didn't. I looked at the HD trike, that didn't work. Also looked at trike conversions, didn't like them at all.

I've been on 2-wheels for 50 years. So having to admit that Parkinson's was getting a little worse, was a tough one for me. You just make the best of the situation and move on.
Totally get you on this, and happy that the Spyder is there to fit you "just-right" (or reasonably close), even if it doesn't make me do the happy-dance. They wouldn't make 'em if they didn't appeal to someone.
@trotter avatar
UTC

Banned
Roughhouse Sport. Buddy 150(sold)

Banned
@trotter avatar
UTC quote
SDG wrote:
I'm not willing to buy anything that isn't simple to park in the wild, split traffic with or take precious space from my garage. I can park 4 scooters in that spot.

SDG
You show it without being too much of a dick.

4 scooters. 4 scooters and 2 gals. I can park that, friend.

And a sweet baby. Gotta lay down.

Dave you know I have been enriched by you. Love strong. No other way.
@trotter avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@trotter avatar
UTC quote
zombies-nyc wrote:
Awful vehicle.

You can't push the limits.

I like dipping into curves with cars following me. At 35 dipping and watching them giving me space after that.

Scare them. It is fun.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
If I couldn't ride 2 wheels either a hack or a Slingshot over a Canam.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Trotter wrote:
zombies-nyc wrote:
Awful vehicle.

You can't push the limits.

I like dipping into curves with cars following me. At 35 dipping and watching them giving me space after that.

Scare them. It is fun.
I also like dipping into corners. 35 is a great age! I was riding BMW's & Moto Guzzi's, at that age. Over the years my favorite motorcycle was a 2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport......there was a great 'fun' factor riding the Guzzi.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
I would rather have a HD Trike, if I would be after a solid 3-wheeler, rather have 2 wheels at the back.
There is a problem with this (and I have ridden a Harley trike, as well as A Can-Am, several sidecar bikes, and a Slingshot). When you corner, all these vehicles that don't lean try to transfer their weight forward and to the outside. When you have two wheels forward, that weight tries to transfer to the front outside wheel. When you are riding a true Trike the effect is to take weight off the inside rear wheel which gives it a tendency to lift. Something similar is true when turning right with a right-hand sidecar. You counter this by transferring your own weight the other way but you are on a delicate edge.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
RRider wrote:
I would rather have a HD Trike, if I would be after a solid 3-wheeler, rather have 2 wheels at the back.
There is a problem with this (and I have ridden a Harley trike, as well as A Can-Am, several sidecar bikes, and a Slingshot). When you corner, all these vehicles that don't lean try to transfer their weight forward and to the outside. When you have two wheels forward, that weight tries to transfer to the front outside wheel. When you are riding a true Trike the effect is to take weight off the inside rear wheel which gives it a tendency to lift. Something similar is true when turning right with a right-hand sidecar. You counter this by transferring your own weight the other way but you are on a delicate edge.
Good point....I've actually fallen with one of those Honda's three wheelers that used to be popular in 70's (...or was it 80's?), ATVs, those with huge fat tyres. Luckily it was off road, so minor bruises and a few scratches to the trike....which was not my own....but yeah, it was "interesting" to steer.

I guess I'd still take a HD trike today, just 'cause I like it better. There were many good comments above about riding a CanAm as a substitute to a 2-wheeler when those are not possible anymore - this I can fully understand, but didn't think of it first.
@paul_g avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250ie

Ossessionato
@paul_g avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
All of the disadvantages of a car, combined with the disadvantages of a motorcycle.

Can't lean it, why bother? Fight and scrabble through turns like a car without the comfort, weather protection or cargo capacity. All for more money.

It's all about the turns, and that means leaning as the complex forces of gyroscopic progression and centripetal force work with you instead of forcing tires to scrub you around a turn.

Wouldn't be caught dead on one.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Paul G. wrote:
All of the disadvantages of a car, combined with the disadvantages of a motorcycle.

Can't lean it, why bother? Fight and scrabble through turns like a car without the comfort, weather protection or cargo capacity. All for more money.

It's all about the turns, and that means leaning as the complex forces of gyroscopic progression and centripetal force work with you instead of forcing tires to scrub you around a turn.

Wouldn't be caught dead on one.
I also said, at one time.....That I wouldn't be caught dead on one....... Because when you're dead you wouldn't know Razz emoticon
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Re: Spyder Stupidity
Turkman wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=24&v=DmtfY7cW_ls

Wow.
Never seen anyone do such silliness on a scooter before.
@conchscooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 Vespa ET4, 2009 Vespa S150, Suzuki Burgman 200

Molto Verboso
@conchscooter avatar
2004 Vespa ET4, 2009 Vespa S150, Suzuki Burgman 200
UTC quote
Until August 31st I felt doubt about Can Am three wheelers. After a month struggling to repair a lot of broken bones - thanks for not seeing me lady with bare minimum car insurance- I have to think they may have their place. It's something I ponder.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
conch: Great to hear from you, albeit with you still very much on the mend. As I amended earlier, as much as I simply don't get most modern three-wheelers, there's obviously a place for them. My diss of them is, of course, based on being able to choose freely between two and three wheels...an option not everybody has for numerous reasons.

Keep up the healing, friend.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
conch, I feel for you, having also been hit by an uninsured, oblivious driver. Though my injuries, while serious, were nowhere near as bad as yours.

I don't think I would have come out of it any better, though, if I were riding a Ryker or Spyder.

On the general topic, I think that when I can't handle a leaning PTW I'll hang up my helmet and pursue other activities. None of the non-leaning bikes appeal to me.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1734s ][ Queries: 41 (0.1346s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]