@vpfalcon avatar
UTC

Addicted
86 T5,

Addicted
@vpfalcon avatar
86 T5,
UTC quote
I tried to pop out the crank on a 79 P200. Cases split, clutch out, flipped the clutch nut over, put it on, and hit the crank end with a hammer, (hard), afterwards the nut would not come off. Knackered the threads. Damn!
I've read a bit about thread files.
I think there are enough good threads left to safely tighten the nut, if I can salvage the the ones that are knackered.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
Ouch! I'd also be concerned (if you hit it that hard) that you've knocked the crank out of true. The proper tool for this - which is pretty easy to make - is this one which braces against the case and acts on the clutch side of the crank only.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/demounting+tool+sip+crankshaft_38886000
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I'd try using a thread file to clean those threads up. Hitting a crank is always a no-no, but it's nowhere as bad tapping a crank OUT of the clutch bearing, compared to tapping a crank IN to the clutch bearing.
OP
@vpfalcon avatar
UTC

Addicted
86 T5,

Addicted
@vpfalcon avatar
86 T5,
UTC quote
I got a thread file and managed to (hopefully) salvage the clutch side end of the crank. The nut on there now will be replaced by a proper one from Scooter Mercado.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0466s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0187s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]