Scooter in the Sticks Photographs posted here
Post Reply    Forum -> Scooter Gallery Previous12345
Author Message
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1692
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:38 pm quote
roadscum wrote:
Metal studs against payment on a two wheel vehicle sounds to me like an accident waiting to happen. Sure, traction may increase on ice but likely a major lose of traction on hard pavement surfaces where the spike will not penetrate. Due to reducted traction I can see the potential for a low side get off at every turn when counter steer is applied. U B careful and safe please.

Paul
Definitely a concern. I won't be putting studs anywhere but down the center. I'm not interested in traction in turns on ice. For those times I encounter it I slow and proceed in a straight line. Not racing around in snow.

Plan is to put half as many studs. A little experimentation will be in order.
Enthusiast
ET2 2004
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Posts: 67
Location: UK
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:27 am quote
My scruffy ET2 on a cold trip to the coast. Got it running and on the road so paint is the next big job.

DSC_1468-1000.jpg

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1692
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:33 pm quote
A recent ride in the tail end of winter. Have to confess I'm becoming less and less interested in riding in the winter. Soon I suspect I'll join the herd and put my scooter in storage on Labor Day...

Hooked
Looking
Joined: 18 Feb 2019
Posts: 173
Location: Tampa
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:16 am quote
If you can do those in the "sticks" I can't imagine what you'd do in the Tetons, Yellowstone, or Glacier.

I picked a favorite, the Christmas tree, and then liked the headlight in the fog, but then saw the Vespa in the alley with steam....so I gave up choosing a favorite!
++Calendar++
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1692
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:45 pm quote
Allens wrote:
If you can do those in the "sticks" I can't imagine what you'd do in the Tetons, Yellowstone, or Glacier.

I picked a favorite, the Christmas tree, and then liked the headlight in the fog, but then saw the Vespa in the alley with steam....so I gave up choosing a favorite!
++Calendar++
Often it's difficult to move past the postcard scenes when traveling in grand landscapes. For me at least, I have to be in a place for quite some time before I begin seeing it. That said, would love to ride the Vespa in the Tetons, through Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. Last time I was out that way was in 1970. And in a VW Campmobile instead of a Vespa!

I've thought about a calendar more than a few times. Maybe this is the year to give it a whirl. You think people are still interested in paper calendars?
Hooked
Looking
Joined: 18 Feb 2019
Posts: 173
Location: Tampa
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:21 am quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
You think people are still interested in paper calendars?
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I always keep a paper calendar to clip doctor's appointments and notes to.
Besides, I like a calendar with pictures I favor.
I don't buy generic calendars, I buy motorcycle, RV, National Park etc.
I doubt you'll get rich, but they make great Christmas gifts. I'll bet Vespa dealers would stock them.
Hooked
Looking
Joined: 18 Feb 2019
Posts: 173
Location: Tampa
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:24 am quote
Sorry, double post.
How does that happen? I do an edit and both show up??
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 237
Location: Texas
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:30 pm quote
Wasp and Texas Wildflowers
Wildflower season in West Texas.

IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1754.jpeg

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1692
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Sun May 05, 2019 6:36 am quote
Allens wrote:
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
You think people are still interested in paper calendars?
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I always keep a paper calendar to clip doctor's appointments and notes to.
Besides, I like a calendar with pictures I favor.
I don't buy generic calendars, I buy motorcycle, RV, National Park etc.
I doubt you'll get rich, but they make great Christmas gifts. I'll bet Vespa dealers would stock them.
I've thought about calendars. They're on a list of things to produce using my photographs. Would be nice to make a little money to offset the costs of maintaining a privately hosted site along with the attendant costs for SSL certificates, domains, etc.

Thanks for prodding me along!
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1692
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Sun May 05, 2019 6:38 am quote
Re: Wasp and Texas Wildflowers
25BIKEZ wrote:
Wildflower season in West Texas.
West Texas looks lovely. And your Vespa looks perfect in that landscape. White for a hot climate! How far are you from Big Bend? Seems like some fine riding down that way.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1692
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Sun May 05, 2019 6:41 am quote
As the weather moved from winter to spring the amount of riding I'm doing has increased. The past winter was brutal for me -- physically and mentally. I still rode but with a heaviness that was hard to overcome until some miles had passed. Old age...

A recent ride reminded me of how good it is to be out in the world and shed, if only for a short time, some of the concerns of modern life. All on a modern Vespa...

Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 237
Location: Texas
Sun May 12, 2019 7:12 am quote
Re: Wasp and Texas Wildflowers
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
25BIKEZ wrote:
Wildflower season in West Texas.
West Texas looks lovely. And your Vespa looks perfect in that landscape. White for a hot climate! How far are you from Big Bend? Seems like some fine riding down that way.
Sorry for the delayed response. On vacation with the wife.

Thanks for the positive feedback! We're about 400 miles east of the Big Bend area, in North Central Texas, where Texas starts changing from green to brown, and West Texas begins. Generally flat roads, and open vistas. We get a nice wildflower season, especially during a wet Spring.

Big Bend has some amazing scenery and decent riding, but the Texas Hill Country is where our twisties are-Kerrville, Fredericksberg, San Antonio, Austin area. Hilly, two lane roads, beautiful scenery, and fields of wildflowers in the spring. One of the more popular rides is the "Twisted Sisters" loop west of Kerrville.

I'm envious of your trees and rivers. I have to go 200 miles east or south to get that kind of riding.

Take care.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
946
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 5796
Location: Acworth, GA
Wed May 15, 2019 3:35 am quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Allens wrote:
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
You think people are still interested in paper calendars?
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I always keep a paper calendar to clip doctor's appointments and notes to.
Besides, I like a calendar with pictures I favor.
I don't buy generic calendars, I buy motorcycle, RV, National Park etc.
I doubt you'll get rich, but they make great Christmas gifts. I'll bet Vespa dealers would stock them.
I've thought about calendars. They're on a list of things to produce using my photographs. Would be nice to make a little money to offset the costs of maintaining a privately hosted site along with the attendant costs for SSL certificates, domains, etc.

Thanks for prodding me along!
Steve, Id buy one for sure...or even maybe a book of some sort? Like a coffee table book of photos?
Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 237
Location: Texas
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:51 am quote
Near Buffalo Gap, Texas
The rise on the left is known locally as "Steamboat Mountain".

fullsizeoutput_af8.jpeg

Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1253
Location: Adelaide
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:41 pm quote
W.A/N.T border near Kununurra. Half a metre below the sign , on the centre pole, there is a Vespa Motorsport sticker.

IMG_20190704_173428615.jpg

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1692
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:31 am quote
The hot, humid weather has abated (slightly) and has produced some foggy mornings in which to ride. Still moist, but a cool moist!

Hooked
2010 GTS 300
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 237
Location: Texas
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:24 pm quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
The hot, humid weather has abated (slightly) and has produced some foggy mornings in which to ride. Still moist, but a cool moist!

Wow. Really nice mood shot.
Hooked
GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 285
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:35 pm quote
Masala wrote:
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Allens wrote:
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
You think people are still interested in paper calendars?
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I always keep a paper calendar to clip doctor's appointments and notes to.
Besides, I like a calendar with pictures I favor.
I don't buy generic calendars, I buy motorcycle, RV, National Park etc.
I doubt you'll get rich, but they make great Christmas gifts. I'll bet Vespa dealers would stock them.
I've thought about calendars. They're on a list of things to produce using my photographs. Would be nice to make a little money to offset the costs of maintaining a privately hosted site along with the attendant costs for SSL certificates, domains, etc.

Thanks for prodding me along!
Steve, Id buy one for sure...or even maybe a book of some sort? Like a coffee table book of photos?
You can include me too Steve. I've often admired many of your Vespa shots that you post on Scooter In The Sticks. I find them atmospheric and thought provoking.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8422
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:49 am quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
The hot, humid weather has abated (slightly) and has produced some foggy mornings in which to ride. Still moist, but a cool moist!

Ooh, likey!
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Scooter Gallery Previous12345
[ Time: 0.5374s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1614s) ][ Debug on ]