'But I'm just backdated!
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:31 pm quote
Hi, although I'm stoked with a sleeper p200, I've always liked the earlier Vespas without their added squareness and the funky indicators. The plan is to backdate my P range a little, smooth panels and a bajaj fender,(it has a seam but no side indent's) gs indicators and lower rear bumper on route from Tasso. Mockup of said panels on a Stella, sorry, and testing out some tail lights.

smooth fender.jpg

smooth 1.jpg

smooth cowl.jpg

smooth big light.jpg

smooth wee light.jpg

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:19 pm quote
Here are the various light options I have, the small one I bought from Russia!

light options.jpg

Molto Verboso

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:29 pm quote
Well, you must have something under the hood since you have a 226 pipe. I've don't have any issues with the indentations, but at the same time I'm not a big fan of them. I've pounded the indentations out of the cowls on one of my projects before. The T5 fender looks to much better than the standard PX. But if you're after a more round look, then the T5 probably isn't your first choice. That Baja fender looks alright to me. Baja Chetak cowls can also be fairly easily modified to fit the early P series. They don't have the indentations either. At one point I had a Bajaj cowls and glovebox on my P.

So what's up with that front fork that spun around 180 degrees? At first I thought it was a leading arm suspension from a ET4, but now that I look again, it looks like a 20mm PX fork with a fender mounted on backwards.

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:31 pm quote
Quick mockup, sorry, I knew it was a little funky! I went for the Bajaj fender as it still has the seam to match the rest of the body, and is a little curvier.

Here's the link to its build thread, Thanks Chuck for such a sweet deal!

P200 Performance Build-Up
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:23 pm quote
I LOVE the small round tail light... but maybe mounted on the tractor light mounting.... or not... it's your scoot. I've seen someone here use a round trailer light that is very similar to the tuna can light.

Definitely have to change out the horncast... I believe there are rounder ones available for the P. http://www.allstyles-scooters.com/acatalog/vespa_horn_cast.html

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:19 pm quote
Not totally sure about changing the horn cast, part of me likes how that keeps it keeps it a P, I do think the tasso indicators will really help with the front end. From some angles the little light makes me think of a wart!
Non "gs horn cast"' px for demonstrative purposes.

this one!.jpg

Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:28 am quote
I'd love to see bar end indicators.... then blank out the cutouts in the legshield. Not sure if this is possible.

But if angularity is what you're trying to eliminate, then the horncast is screaming to be replaced. A nice smooth curve there instead would be very pleasing. And you'd have plenty of people looking at your scooter scratching their heads wondering "what exactly is that?"

If you're not sold on the taillight yet, here's a faux tuna can light on the tractor mounting....

Enthusiast
too many

Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:46 am quote
I actually already own the indicator blank offs from that kit, but they look and fit so-so, and as my kids may eventually ride pillion, best to keep indicators for safety! I may change the horn cast eventually, not sure, still working out the options. I'll probably use the license plate to mount led turn signals in the rear, not sure yet. Thanks for the interest and replies!

Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:48 am quote
I quite like the alternative light on the stock mount, thanks for another option to consider!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:36 pm quote
smoooooooth
Larrytsg wrote:
I'd love to see bar end indicators.... then blank out the cutouts in the legshield. Not sure if this is possible.
You not seen my orange bastard? blood sweat n beards .... anything can be done if you try. .... I wanted one made of just vespa bits but it does have lml select bars n headset bottom

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:47 pm quote
Having had some difficulty tracking down a complete Stella/lml front end, and as the Grimeca kits alone are $380, I just scored an et4 front end inc m/c on fleabay. Time to talk to machine shops, and scope out mounting the reservoir.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:52 pm quote
This scooter's fork inspired me!

et4 fork 1.jpg

et4 fork 2.jpg

Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:48 pm quote
Parts finally arrived Christmas eve from Tasso, (from the 17th of September) I cleverly, I thought, paid extra to have the color of the indicators matched, but decided I'd paint the bumper when I paint the other body parts.
Sadly the bumper has no indents or any manufactured way to hold it on, just pressure from the side panel rubbers, wth! I'll take some pics tomorrow, but here's how they look mocked on:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by biggraham on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:50 pm quote
Rear bumper:

image.jpg

Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2183s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0384s) ][ Debug on ]