How many sold your big bikes ,now ride vespas only
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:10 pm quote
orange s150 wrote:
David Masse wrote:
orange s150 wrote:
... truth be told I like my micro car the best. That is a nother story though....
Do tell, do tell!

I have a thing for weird small cars. Been thinking of a diesel Smart. Maybe a vintage Citroen 2CV.
The pics my phone takes are to big to upload. But it is a Sebring vanguard citicar. If you look it up on google. I restored it about 3 years ago. There was only about 2300 made. And about 150 left.
Thanks for that.

Just got back from the Greek islands. There were tiny three wheeled Honda Gyro Up pickups that made the Apes look big.

I like your micro car. Makes a Smart look like a limo

Found a video on those strange Hondas:

Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:35 pm quote
Like many, I come from riding big bikes, the last ones being a couple of GSX1400's and a Vstrom 1000. Nice bikes but no longer practical for me. In the UK where I live we have traffic cameras almost everywhere on major routes. This means if you don't watch your speed you can lose your drivers licence real quick! Couple that with the fact that bikes need luggage, boxes etc to be truly useful, then a scooter become much more practice and fun too of course.On the note about traffic cameras, they do work well at reducing speeds and accidents. We have the lowest traffic accident rate anywhere in 'urop'.

I use the scooter for longer trips just like I used the big bikes. I get there in the same amount of time, I use the motorways (freeways) just the same. There's nowhere you can't go on a GTS. Currently I have no other bikes, the GTS is all I need.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:51 am quote
David Masse wrote:
Just got back from the Greek islands. There were tiny three wheeled Honda Gyro Up pickups that made the Apes look big.

Cool! Also make me hungry for some reason....

Like me you are an expat anglophone Montrealer. One thing to do this day that drives me nuts is how people pronounce Gyro in Ontario.
Hooked
2011 GTV 300 Expresso
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:44 pm quote
Agreed!
Older Guy wrote:
After nine Harleys and turning 80 years old went with vespa 300, dont miss all the weight of the harleys and have the same fun.
Older Guy

Thatís what I did. Sold my Anniversary RoadKing. I had already bought my second Vespa, Me nor my torn 63 year old shoulder muscle have missed the heavy bike either.
2016 GTS 300
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:14 pm quote
The same question is (paraphrased) asked over at the Mos Eisley of the internet: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/9hoy85/people_who_went_from_a_1000cc_to_a_600cc_or_lower/

My response is totally in line with my experience and the motorcycles Iíve owned. The bike history for me was: crappy honda cruiser, R1200GS, VFR750 Interceptor, R1200GSA, and then the current bike. When I had the big bimmers, there was always the notion that Iíd take it out on adventures. Toss a bag into the cases and head up around British Columbia for a week or so. The VFR scenario was similar, but it was more fun to commute on and was perfect for curvy mountain highways and Eastern Washington foothills. But I always came back to reality - where did I spend the vast majority of time? I was nearly always using the bike to get around Seattle traffic and find easier parking in hipster neighborhoods. There were some consistent things - the riding outfit of helmet/jacket/gloves did not change - no matter which bike I owned. The GS/GSA were tall and unwieldy in close quarters or on the Seattle hills. The Boss didnít like riding on the back of the VFR. And carrying space on any of the bikes was nonexistent unless putting on cases. So there was a perfect sweet spot that was aimed at the intersection of: minimum size, maximum speed, 80% city streets and 20% local freeway, easy to park anywhere, integrated and streamlined storage capacity, and a ideally a back rest for the passenger. So TL;DR I now have a Vespa GTS 300, and I look damn good with a scarf.
Hooked
250 GTS, Xmax 300, BMW R1200R (sold)
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:20 pm quote
I had both a big bmw and a Vespa gts. After some time I realize that I rode the gts more and more, while the bmw sat in the garage more often. After a while I decided to sell the beemer as it was just not getting enough ride time. Wife also likes riding on the back of the scooter better. Used the proceeds to buy a mountain bike and now that seems to work for me much better
Addicted
GTS 300 - 'George IV' (KIA) GTS Super 300 - 'George V'
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:08 am quote
I'd had a GS 1200 for 10 years and was about to sell it when it got rather bent out of shape (see pic).

It was a beautiful bike which I used to its full 'gelšnde-strasse' abilities - I had a great Baltic States tour and did regular off road camping trips in the UK.

It had become however just a bit too big for the commuting it was being used for towards the end and having the decision about selling dramatically taken from me I decided to get an equally iconic and stylish PTW - hence the GTS.

I have to say for commuting it is far better than the GS - it actually feels quicker off the mark up to about 40 and it is eminently more flickable and filterable in busy London traffic.

Yes, I've had my security problems too http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic157242 but I'll be sticking with this now probably until my riding days finish.

IMG_4715.jpg

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:19 am quote
Well, I'm finding myself the odd man out, simply because I live in a small town out in the middle of nowhere.

After getting back into riding three years ago what I've personally learned is:

a) Since I'm back to being able to walk, I walk to work or in town. Basically I use the PTW the way I always used to use my mountain bikes: to escape town for a few hours or days. So:

b) 99% of my riding is out in the countryside, where the V limits me to the pavement, and...

c) That leaves over 80% or more of all the regional roads inaccessible, and, also...

d) Most of my rides are c. 100 miles riding pretty much WOT. Even my mid-work-week, afternoon/eve rides are all 50+ miles riding WOT.

So in the last couple weeks my wife has formally ok-ed a bigger bike for the spring.

Having said that, 20,000+ miles on the GT200 have proven that it can indeed tackle pretty much every local paved road and is super comfortable for 100-400 mile days.

So, "bigger bike" really just means bigger wheels and something I can drop in the gravel without utterly destroying. Having proven the roadworthiness of 200 ccs, even the ubiquitous regional KLR and V-Strom 650s seem too big for what I want to do.

"Gravel, gravel everywhere, and not a bike to drop...."

IMG_3976.jpg

Ossessionato
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:10 am quote
tdrake wrote:
Well, I'm finding myself the odd man out, simply because I live in a small town out in the middle of nowhere.

a) Since I'm back to being able to walk, I walk to work or in town. Basically I use the PTW the way I always used to use my mountain bikes: to escape town for a few hours or days. So:

b) 99% of my riding is out in the countryside, where the V limits me to the pavement, and...

c) That leaves over 80% or more of all the regional roads inaccessible, and, also...

d) Most of my rides are c. 100 miles riding pretty much WOT. Even my mid-work-week, afternoon/eve rides are all 50+ miles riding WOT.

So in the last couple weeks my wife has formally ok-ed a bigger bike for the spring.

Having said that, 20,000+ miles on the GT200 have proven that it can indeed tackle pretty much every local paved road and is super comfortable for 100-400 mile days.

So, "bigger bike" really just means bigger wheels and something I can drop in the gravel without utterly destroying. Having proven the roadworthiness of 200 ccs, even the ubiquitous regional KLR and V-Strom 650s seem too big for what I want to do.

Honda makes a few bikes that should fit the bill nicely for you.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:14 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
tdrake wrote:

Honda makes a few bikes that should fit the bill nicely for you.
NC700/750 are available with DCT (as is the CTX).
Which is fine, IF you can figure out how to get comfortable on the thing.
I made several changes and am still up in the air after a year of ownership of my NC700 DCT (also has ABS).
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:40 am quote
I have the NC750X which is very similar. It's great on the roads, can cruise at 80mph and return 80mpg (imperial) while doing it. It also has pretty decent storage and long service intervals. I wouldn't say it's a good bike to drop in the dirt though a) there's a fair amount of plastic to get damaged and b) the bike weighs quite a bit so you'll probably want to be fairly fit to pick it back up. Something to think about anyway.
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max), 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:54 pm quote
I had scooters before getting a Honda NC700X in 2013.

It was to be used for long, fast rides.

But the seat and riding position made it grossly uncomfortable after an hour or so.

It was also too big and cumbersome.

So I sold it.

Bill
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:28 pm quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I had scooters before getting a Honda NC700X in 2013.

It was to be used for long, fast rides.

But the seat and riding position made it grossly uncomfortable after an hour or so.

It was also too big and cumbersome.

So I sold it.

Bill
Yeah, the NC700 is a lot bigger, heavier and more road oriented than what I'm after, and whatever I get is gonna need to situate me sitting straight up, like on the Vespa.

The V has certainly proved to me that for the backroads I like I also don't need all that much horsepower.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
Looking at the road in your pic, that's some serious gravel

This would have been easy peasy for my late VanVan. Seriously.

Would be mildly annoying and not very relaxing to my Triumph Scrambler. The standard tyres are too hard & not knobbly enough, combine that with the bike weight and you'll mostly feel like surfing on top of marbles.....give the road a bit of car usage, and then the Triumph is OK for modest/slowish speeds at the car tyre tracks.

For these particular type of roads, you'd need some serious rubber. And decent suspension - nothing fancy, but just decent "off-roadish" stuff.

A Versys 300 equiped with knobbly tyres....
Hooked
Vespa '05 Gt200, '99 Honda ACE Tourer
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:23 am quote
Been riding since the early Ď70ís. Was riding a Shadow 1100. Has a chance to buy a GT200 from someone at work. Found myself riding it more than the Honda. I was tired of heavy bikes. I ride mainly backroads, donít ride two up. It just all came together. Sold the Honda......

7A0254D0-DBBF-4C68-9E44-1EB24D6B8E61.jpeg

Hooked
2017 White Vespa 300 GTS Super/2017 Vespa Sprint "S" 150 Platinum
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:54 am quote
Thanks for all the replies .Well i sold my Tuono V4 Factory a few weeks ago and bought an Aprilia 2009 2 stroke SR50 Factory scoot that i am restoring .There are not that many of these around anymore .So I found a good deal on one near me i found on Craigslist .I was surprised to even find it so i bought it instantly . So that leaves me one more big bike that im thinking about parting with but its a rare carbon fiber edition and i dont know if i can sell it .The goal is to have a showroom garage with scoots .Heres some pics

IMG_0934.jpg
My Tuono i just sold

IMG_3345.JPG
My 2003 Tuono Factory Racing ,Rare only 50 brought into the country.All carbon Fiber

IMG_0058.jpg
My shop so far

IMG_1590.JPG
The SR50 that is being restored

Ossessionato
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:33 am quote
I'm usually not a huge fan of sport bikes but that first Tuono is a beauty. Actually they both are and I hope you hold on to one.

Great looking garage!
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:41 am quote
RRider wrote:
tdrake wrote:
Looking at the road in your pic, that's some serious gravel

This would have been easy peasy for my late VanVan. Seriously.

Would be mildly annoying and not very relaxing to my Triumph Scrambler. The standard tyres are too hard & not knobbly enough, combine that with the bike weight and you'll mostly feel like surfing on top of marbles.....give the road a bit of car usage, and then the Triumph is OK for modest/slowish speeds at the car tyre tracks.

For these particular type of roads, you'd need some serious rubber. And decent suspension - nothing fancy, but just decent "off-roadish" stuff.

A Versys 300 equiped with knobbly tyres....
Knowing from the experience of my native state, Kansas that there are thousands of miles of them there and several other states I looked it up. Google says approximately 1.4 million miles of gravel roads in the USA. My private gravel road is only ~ a 1/2 mile long but steep and expensive to maintain!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:30 am quote
Amazing garage you have there scooterjones. Great man-cave!
Hooked
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:53 am quote
Thanks for that.

[/quote]

And itís critters like this Honda that sell in places that big American pickup trucks will never meet the needs of the people who are actually using a Ďtruckí in South Korea, or you name it overseas.
With all our much more modern cities and towns, Yes, they are, look up dates that first street was laid out... everything in the USA and Canada too dates after 1550, but the rest of the world has towns and cities where streets date back far further. Scooters and little critters like these Hondas will maneuver those streets far better. But we have towns where the streets were planned so you could turn a 4 horse team and wagon around in the street. Not all, but still, we have very few narrow streets that are drivable. And fuel efficiency matters to many around the world, maybe not to my co-workers, but itís their $ and not mine.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:29 am quote
Sold the CTX in favor of adding a second GTS to our stable for my husband. We aren't Vespa only since we have 2 BVs and Buddy as well but all scooter. The larger BV500 will go sometime in the next 6-8 months so we'll be down to one PTW per licensed rider in the family.
Molto Verboso
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:53 am quote
Didn't they make 3 wheeled ATV's illegal in some US states? Honda's at that!
As I recall they killed a bunch of younger riders in tip overs. Cute little workhorse but maybe not ever to be seen here in pick up truck land.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:37 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
As I recall they killed a bunch of younger riders in tip overs. Cute little workhorse but maybe not ever to be seen here in pick up truck land.
I haven't seen a 3-wheeled ATV in some time now. Most resorts/businesses have gotten rid of them and I don't believe any are still imported into the US. Too risky insurance-wise in the United States of Tortmerica.
Ossessionato
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:41 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
I haven't seen a 3-wheeled ATV in some time now. Most resorts/businesses have gotten rid of them and I don't believe any are still imported into the US. Too risky insurance-wise in the United States of Tortmerica.
Yeah but think of all those great "you gotta see" this YouTube videos we aren't getting any more
Molto Verboso
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:13 pm quote
To answer the question of this thread- I own several (4) MC's, all projects and will sell off the two little bikes next spring and hopefully get started back soon on my BMW R75/5 MC which I'll never sell. I hope to tour with it, given that my health holds up. It goes when I go.
In the practical sense, I'm a Vespa guy all the way.
Got my Delkevic exhaust satisfactorily mounted and it sounds like it means business! Got that 250cc thumper sound. I listened to a Honda transalp on you Tube and sounds just the same even though a much smaller engine.
How well I like it after hearing it all day long, that remains to be seen.
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:52 am quote
I sold my big motorcycles long ago. I don't find riding motorcycles exciting anymore. In fact, unless you have lots of luggage fitted to a motorcycle they are in fact quite impractical, unlike our scooters which do have quite good storage space.

The most common thing I have noticed amongst my friends and colleagues is that they buy a Vespa or sometimes another make of scooter to use as a winter hack bike, but then discover they like riding the scooter more than riding their motorcycles. So the big motorcycles often end up being sold.

Typical case, my friend Gerry bought a good used GT200 for peanuts to use as a winter hack bike. He actually owned a Harley Road King. Over winter he rode the GT and loved it. The following year he did just 300 miles on the Road King and sold it shortly after. Conversely he put several thousands of miles on the GT. He now rides a new GTS300 and tours everywhere on it.
Molto Verboso
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 am quote
Smart feller Gerry.
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:23 am quote
Sold my Jetta. Bought this for work commuting.
Coldest commute was 3įF.

Not too smart. I live in small town Ohio. If it snows I walk a mile to bus stop.

5 years - air cooled, EFI - never fails to rip to life when I touch the starter.
Flawless, Chinese made Kymco. I added the long mirrors, City Grips and lighted Bestem top case.

O.S.
Hooked
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:33 am quote
scooter jones wrote:
Ö..The goal is to have a showroom garage with scoots .Heres some pics
Wow, that's a really nice looking garage! Thanks for sharing...Cheers!
Hooked
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:34 am quote
scooter jones wrote:
Hooked
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:25 am quote
Scooter10S wrote:
scooter jones wrote:
Thanks ,That was a few months ago but now it has been cleaned up a lot and remodeled with new signs and an old Vespa body hanging form the ceiling
Hooked
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:27 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Amazing garage you have there scooterjones. Great man-cave!
Thanks Jet !!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:31 am quote
scooter jones wrote:
Scooter10S wrote:
scooter jones wrote:
Thanks ,That was a few months ago but now it has been cleaned up a lot and remodeled with new signs and an old Vespa body hanging form the ceiling
Cleaned up since that photo? Seriously? Our garage should look so good.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:33 am quote
sold all my motorcycles...this was my progression through 2 wheeled toys... ? indian 50cc moped (not a real indian), 03 honda cbr 600rr, 05 honda cbr 600rr, 00 yamaha tw200, 08 husqvarna sm510r, 10 triumph bonneville se...the yamaha and the huqvarna were the most fun bikes i've owned...now i only have a 13 genuine buddy 125 for fun rips mostly around town just due to not having time to go for real rides...buddy engine isn't big enough for any highway riding...always on the lookout for a deal on a bigger cc vespa or maybe a BV but it would also be for just around town with some short highway rips and i would probably sell the buddy...but if i start highway riding again sometime down the line i'll be back on another motorcycle cause people drive crazy around here as well as all the drivers on their cell phones...i like having the extra performance of a motorcycle as well as gears for highway...probably look at some type of sport touring or adventure bike for commuting purposes...i have no brand loyalty and i love anything motorized on 2 wheels...but for now any reliable scooter over 100cc will do what i need

Last edited by Point37 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
None yet
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:42 am quote
I'm in the midst of the "transition". I've had a 96 cubic inch Harley for ten years that I found myself riding less and less each year. I think I've grown tired of the weight and the noise. I'm in my mid-60's, and just don't want 600 lbs. of motorcycle.

I recently test rode a new GTS 300, and couldn't get over how much fun it was to ride (despite the 33 degree temps). The maneuverability was impressive and it's plenty quick enough for me. I'm getting a 2019 GTS this Spring and will bid adios to the Harley.
200 GT
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:41 am quote
I find myself on the fence. My two big wheeler self-destructed (DL1000) and I picked up my GT for a song. For my normal usage the vespa is cheap and fun (commuting 7 miles on surface streets to work) for whenever the snow doesn't fly.

For when the snow flies or when I need to haul copious amounts of shit I keep my sidecar rig on hand. I don't see myself ever being without a sidecar rig because it serves as my "Car". (Like many of you, I have a minivan-like-vehicle for schlepping kids around but the spousal unit uses that.)
2018 GTS 300 Touring
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 am quote
Have owned 4 motorcycles over the years. And now...the Vespa. I love the Vespa and wish I'd bought it first. My last 3 bikes were Harleys and the Vespa is more practical, fun and easier to get around.

[img]2016 Harley Softail Deluxe by Chris Kirkman

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX by Chris Kirkman

Afternoon Ride by Chris Kirkman
Piaggio Liberty S 150
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:35 pm quote
I went through 4 big bikes - started on a 250 Kawasaki, then had a series of Suzuki Savage/Boulevard 650s. Wrecked one, left one out all winter (oops - I was young), and the last one got stolen. I had a few years of health problems and didn't replace the stolen bike right away. Now that I'm a healthy girl again, when I went shopping, I wavered between a scooter and a mc. I went with the scooter because of the ease of maintenance, and I couldn't be happier. My Piaggio is so light and nimble. It is just straight up fun.
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 am quote
I've sort of gone both ways on this. I went through a wide range of bikes and pretty much enjoyed them all. Was given a scooter to use while one of my bikes was getting repaired and found I preferred riding that to the big bikes. Switched to Vespa when the GTS 200 came out and then went with the GTS when that came out and kept the GT as my back up bike. I'd still be using them daily if it wasn't for the security situation here in London. I've now gone back to "big" bikes and the Vespa's sit a bit forlorn at the back of the garage - the NC if the weathers unpleasant and the Enfield otherwise.
Addicted
2, aprillia scarabeo light. 500. 2007 2009
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:03 am quote
For various reason my wife and i were f orced to sell the bmw and guzzi years ago. We gradually worked our way int o scooters and will never look back!.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
[ Time: 0.2727s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0743s) ][ Debug on ]