eliminating tilt lock system on mp3
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
2010 gts 300 super super. 09 MP3 500 super duper
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:05 pm quote
I searched and couldnt find exactly what I was looking for.

I want to remove everything "tilt lock" from my 2009 mp3 500. I read there were bikes offered with no tilt lock system. I would like to see parts diagram for such a bike. or a thread where someone did this.

I am new to MP3 ownership. rode bike all day long. I simply find no real need for the tilt lock system. I would rather simplify the bike and make it lighter and more reliable. I am not looking for opinions about why this should not be done. Only support that it can be done.

I originally had plans to use engine in lighter two wheel project. But those plans quickly changed when I put seat time on three wheels. quite frankly just fell in love with the unique driving dynamics of the vehicle. Its a completely new challenge that I quite enjoy. completely different experience than riding my vespa 300. My new plans are to shave as much weight as possible off the vehicle. make it as light and nimble as possible.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:50 pm quote
it was a 125 thatcame a without and it did have caburated engine

and what you want won't work the neck of the mp3 is to long to fit a leg from a vespa even a triple tree from a X9 won't fit

if you disconnect the parking ecu the bike wont'work dash parking ecu and throttlebody are all connecto to each other

and if you loose the parking ecu it won't loose weight
Hooked
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:56 am quote
there are no computer issues when the sensor is left plugged into harness. if you would read what I wrote the bike is staying a three wheeler. just going to make a stripped down naked version.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:01 am quote
It might be a little difficult. If I get what you're asking, it's to completely remove the tilt lock motor and all the sensors and hydraulics and such. You would still need to keep the tilt-lock computer, just spoof it into thinking it's doing what you want.

Here are a couple of things:

Spoof the seat sensor into thinking you're always sitting on it by jumpering it with a 3K ohm resistor.

Spoof the hydraulic pressure switch by making it close when the tilt lock is turned on, and open when it's turned off. Maybe use a relay to do this? I don't know. I also could have the operation backwards- it might be open-on and closed-off.

There might be another sensor built into the tilt-lock motor. That would need to be spoofed as well.
Hooked
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:54 pm quote
yes, I have run bike with pressure switch open (not connected) and the pump sensor plugged into harness but removed from pump. the bike runs with no warning lights. so it appears I can now remove all the hydro and mechanical stuff on the front. Only other concern would be to make sure switch for lock is never turned on. it would be a bit of a nitemare to get it ride able again if that happen.
Enthusiast
mp3 500 2017
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 am quote
pump sensor?
Hooked
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:09 am quote
some update on my testing. I tried unplugging locking computer with ecu connected. bike starts but only idle present. when plugged back in the idle only condition remain. to clear code the lock system must be turned on. This concerns me if down the road the tilt computer looses connection or goes dead I would need to be able to turn it on again to satisfy ecu. not sure what that would take with hardware removed from bike. of course these same fears would be present with an intact working system. and there are certainly plenty of threads of locking system malfunctions. ideally I think I should install something like a micro squirt ecu and never have to worry about it. that way I can also tune for optimum power.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.5751s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0676s) ][ Debug on ]