mp3 shocks
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
2010 gts 300 super super. 09 MP3 500 super duper
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:53 am quote
does anyone know if front shocks from 2016 would bolt up to 2009? they arent gonna have same part number. piston is bigger on 2016 up.. I am thinking they would be a nice upgrade to early bikes if they fit.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 am quote
shocks are the same and piston and barrel also same size
Hooked
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:53 am quote
just received the 2016 shocks. piston is bigger 15mm. 2009 is 14mm. The coils are also substaintially different. coils on 16 are fewer, thinner but bigger in diameter. pics to follow when they get swapped in.
Hooked
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:10 pm quote
Enthusiast
mp3 500 2017
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:01 am quote
Til now,is there any after market replacement for the front shocks?
Will the shocks front like gts 300 fit after some mod?are the hubs the same?
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:52 am quote
You can't weld the front bracket to the assembled shock the oil will burn

Hagon is developing them but they are now working on them for 2 years
Hooked
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:57 am quote
mp3 shocks are unique. no aftermarket I am aware of. gts shocks cant be adopted. mp3 shocks werent that expensive to buy new. about 105 for left and 125 for right when I checked.
Enthusiast
mp3 500 2017
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:35 am quote
Its not about the price but what options for the front shocks.i am not really happy with the shocks.
Hooked
2008 fuoco.T3 guzzi california outfit
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:35 am quote
I think the actual piston size is probably the same if the outer body of the shock is the same on the eary and late shocks. It's the piston rod that is bigger 14mm on the early and 15 mm on later. I too am not happy with the front shocks and it's no wonder as the rears are rubbish as i have found out by replacing with a pair of rebuilt koni's. Looking at the front shock spring and how it's wound i think this should be better than the early one ,as the early one i'm sure at some parts of loading will get coil bound. Hagon's have been or not been looking at front shocks for years but i wonder if they are ever going to be available from them. I've been wondering if i could adapt a pair of standard Hagons using a pair of later piaggio shocks but i have had no time at all this last 3 months to carry my ideas forward. I will be interested if the newer shocks improve handling.
Hooked
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:22 am quote
2019 shocks have red springs. maybe they were redesigned again?
Hooked
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:23 am quote
3legsofman wrote:
I think the actual piston size is probably the same if the outer body of the shock is the same on the eary and late shocks. It's the piston rod that is bigger 14mm on the early and 15 mm on later. I too am not happy with the front shocks and it's no wonder as the rears are rubbish as i have found out by replacing with a pair of rebuilt koni's. Looking at the front shock spring and how it's wound i think this should be better than the early one ,as the early one i'm sure at some parts of loading will get coil bound. Hagon's have been or not been looking at front shocks for years but i wonder if they are ever going to be available from them. I've been wondering if i could adapt a pair of standard Hagons using a pair of later piaggio shocks but i have had no time at all this last 3 months to carry my ideas forward. I will be interested if the newer shocks improve handling.
can you post part number from the koni?
Hooked
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:01 pm quote
jerryd wrote:
2019 shocks have red springs. maybe they were redesigned again?
Maybe or it may just be for the look.
Hooked
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:14 pm quote
[/quote]

can you post part number from the koni?[/quote]

The koni pt number will not help you as they were originaly for a yamaha , ive altered the spring rate and there shorter than standard. Ikon who took over koni do make the correct length rear shocks for the mp3/fuoco cost in the UK is around 330 .Theres other manufacturers making rear shocks for the mp3/fuoco and it's been well covered on the forum. The front shocks are what i'm realy interested in once i get the time to find a pair of late model shocks to try on the bike to see if theres any improvement in handling. Then i would like to follow through trying to modify a pair of Hagon twin shocks or similar to use on the front end, while this may not be easy, i'm handy and am willing to give it a go for my own enjoyment.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:56 am quote
all ready mounted the newer version for a customer its just red paint
Hooked
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:05 pm quote
Maksor wrote:
all ready mounted the newer version for a customer its just red paint
Maksor .Do you know if the later front shocks offer any better handling over the early ones.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:12 am quote
they are the same so nope
Hooked
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:17 pm quote
Maksor wrote:
Thanks Maksor, but i was hopeing there would be a improvement. O well back to my idea of using a pair of Hagons or similar twin shocks suitably modifed ,all i have to do is get a old used pair of piaggio ones via ebay to canniblise for the brackets rather than me make up my own as a starter. My ideas are just on paper and in my mind.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:01 pm quote
3legsofman wrote:
Maksor wrote:
Thanks Maksor, but i was hopeing there would be a improvement. O well back to my idea of using a pair of Hagons or similar twin shocks suitably modifed ,all i have to do is get a old used pair of piaggio ones via ebay to canniblise for the brackets rather than me make up my own as a starter. My ideas are just on paper and in my mind.
And how do you connect the brackets without welding?
Hooked
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:24 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
3legsofman wrote:
Maksor wrote:
And how do you connect the brackets without welding?
As i have not got there yet ,how i fix the brackets has not been decided, welding has not been ruled out nor has mechanical fixing. When i get a pair of shocks and study them in detail ,then run up ideas in my head i may have a answer. Sorry i can't be more informative.
Hooked
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:55 am quote
the clamp could be held in place with glue. there is plenty of surface area.
Hooked
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:04 pm quote
jerryd wrote:
mp3 shocks are unique. no aftermarket I am aware of. gts shocks cant be adopted. mp3 shocks werent that expensive to buy new. about 105 for left and 125 for right when I checked.
I just compare a gts250 shock side by side to the mp3 shock. I must modify my answer. other than the gts shock not having the bracket for fender/brake caliper, the shocks look interchange-able.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:02 am quote
yeah glue them with superglue
Hooked
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 pm quote
Maksor wrote:
I like your style Maksor. Not sure i would superglue them but it's suprising what adhesives are out there and what things are glued in industry.
Hooked
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:59 am quote
3legsofman wrote:
Maksor wrote:
I like your style Maksor. Not sure i would superglue them but it's suprising what adhesives are out there and what things are glued in industry.
His style is to be insulting to people. Not sure what is to like about that. super glue would not work. but there are modern glues very capable for such a job.
Hooked
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:18 pm quote
jerryd wrote:
3legsofman wrote:
Maksor wrote:
His style is to be insulting to people. Not sure what is to like about that. super glue would not work. but there are modern glues very capable for such a job.
ok he's taking the p out of your sugestion , but as i stated and now you, adhesives should not be ruled out.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:07 pm quote
it cant be glued because the bracket is another metal then the shock and both are zinc plated its spotwelded because there is no other way

and i would not ride something with glued parts that have to withstand that much pressure and have to stear and stuff like that

Yes car frames nowe days are glued but are allumium on alluminium or/ and stainless steel on stainless steel not cannedbeef metal with iron bracket with lots zinc in it

And those are glued in a cleanroom no dust temp controlled and stuff like that
not something you could do in you driveway or barn
Hooked
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm quote
Maksor wrote:
it cant be glued because the bracket is another metal then the shock and both are zinc plated its spotwelded because there is no other way

and i would not ride something with glued parts that have to withstand that much pressure and have to stear and stuff like that

Yes car frames nowe days are glued but are allumium on alluminium or/ and stainless steel on stainless steel not cannedbeef metal with iron bracket with lots zinc in it

Parts donot have to be zinc plated both the shock and the bracket are steel and disimilar materials can be glued. I agree that the glueing of the bracket to shock would have to be VERY carefully controlled. But what i'm saying is it could be done BUT wheather i also would trust it is another thing . Although are not aircraft wings glued?. All this about glueing realy is just someones thoughts and not mine i will point out. Mechanical fixing or welding is the answer and before you point out about boiling oil ect if your using rebuildable shocks as i have said hagons or other twin shocks these would include rebuildable types. You also have to bear in mind that this would be a one off for my own use and satifaction. Maybe if Hagon would look into making some shocks i would buy them , but how long have they been working on them????
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:13 pm quote
3legsofman wrote:
Maksor wrote:

Parts donot have to be zinc plated both the shock and the bracket are steel and disimilar materials can be glued. I agree that the glueing of the bracket to shock would have to be VERY carefully controlled. But what i'm saying is it could be done BUT wheather i also would trust it is another thing . Although are not aircraft wings glued?. All this about glueing realy is just someones thoughts and not mine i will point out. Mechanical fixing or welding is the answer and before you point out about boiling oil ect if your using rebuildable shocks as i have said hagons or other twin shocks these would include rebuildable types. You also have to bear in mind that this would be a one off for my own use and satifaction. Maybe if Hagon would look into making some shocks i would buy them , but how long have they been working on them????
Email 3M tech support, (they have a very good customer support) and let them recommend a glue. I bet they come back and say they don't have one for this application that will hold.
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:14 pm quote
It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye put out.

Or dead.

Seriously, glue a bracket onto a suspension component?

But hey, let us know how it turns out.

PS typically the glue holding car parts together is done clean, temp controlled, as stated, but also if it is structural the adhesive joint is VERY long, and there are spot welds to 'be sure'. And, the adhesives used are moving to more flexible types, as the rigid 'super glue' sort of stuff tends to fail. I'll throw my two cents to don't try it, but if you do, please also post pics. Necessity being the mother of invention, go where no man has gone before, and all, I'm curious to see how this ends up.
Hooked
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 am quote
I have loads of experience fixing things other people wouldnt touch. I am positive "I" could make the bracket work with glue. there is over a square inch of contact area. and then you could ad more by adding addition brackets on the sides. drilling dimples in all surfaces to be glued. it will hold. carbon fibre driveshafts are glued together. they handle 2000hp on cars. through joints of around four square inches of glue. mp3 left, gts right.

my 2016 shock had a broken brake mount. it was glued back together. the alloy was cast and not much thicker than 100 thousounds. terribly difficult to weld. I used a .060 inch piece of stainless tube and glued it inside. it has about 1/2 inch of glue on either side of the brake. the entire brake system is only only strong as its weakest link. there isnt that much load going through this brake.

finger points to where brake occurred. tube was broke in half in the accident.
[url=https://postimg.cc/pm4XkHbZ]
[/url]
Hooked
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:23 pm quote
Some posters have not looked at all the postings . Have i said i am going to glue the parts together ? NO . Do i think this is doable? NO. But glueing disimilar and load bearing items is, well not in the driveway or barn as Maksor says but under controled conditions. I will say no more on glue of any type. Welding or mechanical fixing is the way to go in my opinion.
2019 Spring Gathering - May 16 - 19, Location TBD (Likely Maggie Valley, NC)   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2752s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0444s) ][ Debug on ]