Help! New vespa owner, not starting anymore
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2006 GT200
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:23 am quote
Hey guys! My first post! My GF just bought her first Vespa. Its a 2006 GT200 with 1100 miles on it that we got from my friends father in law. (he never drove it).

We rode it around for 10-15 miles after got it and then took a trip, came back 3 weeks later and threw it in my van to bring it to our apartment in the city here. i unloaded it started it up and warmed it up and rode it around a bit, threw it inside, a few days later i start it up in the morning to take it to work and it ran great. A few hours later i try to take it home for lunch and it wont start, sounds like the battery was going dead which i was expecting anyway since it was the original battery always kept on a battery tender. I put a battery jumper on the battery and it sounded like it had lots of power but it just wouldnt turn over. So after trying that for a few minutes i gave up and ordered a new battery expecting it to just be flooded and by the time the new battery came in the mail it wouldnt be flooded anymore.

So today we got the battery and i threw it on and unfortunately its doing the same thing. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake and its not changing anything. The brake light goes on when i hit the brake to start it, the kill switch is off, all the lights are on like it normally was before this all happened. Any ideas what it might be? Im going to try to upload a video to let you guys hear what its doing.

I also did put in fresh fuel when i was riding it home the first day i bought it which was a 10-15 mile ride home on it.
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:35 am quote
Check the spark plug wire is firmly seated on the plug.
MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:38 am quote
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your trouble. Lets see if we can find out what your problem is.

When you say it sounded like it had a lot of power but wouldn't turn over do you mean that it was cranking well but not starting? To most people turning over and cranking are the same thing.

I'm not surprised that carb cleaner didn't help. It's not very flamable. Try some starting fluid and see if that does anything. If not the next step would be to see if it is getting spark.
2006 GT200
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:42 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
I checked the plug wire already, popped it off and placed it back on!
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:48 am quote
another very popular way these bikes like to get you is for the vacuum lines to crack, so it's not getting any gas. Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor and see if gas is coming out when you try to start it.
And if you have a Walbro carburetor, consider replacing it.
But it should have started with starter fluid. If the idle is turned way up, that makes it harder to start. Also check to make sure you still have an air cleaner. The oem filter in a bike this age that has never been serviced will usually come apart in your fingers the first time you try to remove it.
2006 GT200
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:10 am quote
So i popped off the fuel line and its shooting fuel when i hit the start button. Any other ideas?

And i did pull out the air filter with alot of oil at the bottom of it, will clean it out today. It is still good just covered in oil and dirt.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:33 am quote
Take the carb off and give it a good clean - I bet gunge has been shaken loose and has blocked the jets. I assume the code light behaves as it should?
2006 GT200
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:31 am quote
jimc wrote:
Take the carb off and give it a good clean - I bet gunge has been shaken loose and has blocked the jets. I assume the code light behaves as it should?
code light?
Moderaptor
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:15 am quote
markomarkovich wrote:
jimc wrote:
code light?
The immobiliser LED, smack in the middle of the speedo cluster. It should flash and then go out when you switch the ignition on. If it stays on, you have a key/antenna/immobiliser problem - probably not serious (i.e. easily fixed, though perhaps not easily found) as the bike has run.
2006 GT200
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:23 am quote
Will check the light. I guess for now Iíll watch a tutorial on how to remove and clean the carb.
Vespa Sprint 125 (2018)
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:30 pm quote
With my old Vespa ET4 , with the key turned , I had to hold the brake and turn the throttle quite a few times before pressing the ignition. This fed some petrol into the system to help with starting. It's a Pretty old trick for an old bike so I'm not sure it will help. But it sounds similar of what would happen to me , when it would just not starting randomly .
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 250ie, Scarabeo 500ie, SportCity 250, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:20 pm quote
I know you said you checked the kill switch but they have been known to go bad. Try flipping it a few times and maybe some contact cleaner.
2006 GT200
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:18 am quote
Hey guys! So i took the carb off and the smaller jet looked like it was clogged up a bit or maybe i just didn't get a good look before i cleaned it. Either way i assembled the carb back on the engine and its definitely getting fuel but no luck as its doing the same thing as before.

I tried to flip the kill switch back and forth a bunch of times like people recommended in other posts and it didn't work. How hard is it to get the switch out to clean it out with some contact cleaner?

Any other ideas with the kill switch?
Moderaptor
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:59 am quote
Although you haven't confirmed what you really meant by 'won't turn over' - I now assume from other posts of yours that the starter motor DOES turn the engine over, but the engine won't actually start.

In that case it isn't the kill switch or the immobiliser - but with a good battery it must be either a fuel or spark problem. My bet is still on a fuelling issue - but have you actually checked the spark?
2006 GT200
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:15 pm quote
I have not yet checked the spark. I am assuming I will hold the spark plug in the cap next to something with a ground and see if it sparks?

I am getting fuel though when It is cranking.
Hooked
Bv350, aprillia scarabeo light. 500.
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:42 pm quote
Does that midel have a sidestand cutoff? Is thenew battery fully charged?
Moderaptor
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:53 pm quote
markomarkovich wrote:
I have not yet checked the spark. I am assuming I will hold the spark plug in the cap next to something with a ground and see if it sparks?
Yes - do use insulated pliers to hold the plug against frame/engine - and it's best done in darkened conditions so you can judge if the spark is a strong blue one. It's easier to use a spare spark plug rather than taking out the original - this also loads the electric system the same as normal conditions.
Quote:
I am getting fuel though when It is cranking.
Understood - but it may not be getting through the carb in the right quantity to provide the correct air/fuel ratio.
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:04 pm quote
markomarkovich wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
I checked the plug wire already, popped it off and placed it back on!
Placed it back on, or pushed it back on with a hearty 'snap'?
2006 GT200
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:38 pm quote
SO my friend was passing by when i was about to check the spark, he insisted i stick a screwdriver into the spark plug wire and to a ground on the frame, it seems like we have no spark! I will try again with a spark plug in the cap and onto the frame of the bike. Any idea why we might not be getting spark?
Moderaptor
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:31 pm quote
Bad HT lead break/or connection
Bad coil
Buggered CDI

That's assuming you really didn't just short out the HT lead with a screwdriver...
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 pm quote
markomarkovich wrote:
Hey guys! So i took the carb off and the smaller jet looked like it was clogged up a bit or maybe i just didn't get a good look before i cleaned it. Either way i assembled the carb back on the engine and its definitely getting fuel but no luck as its doing the same thing as before.

I tried to flip the kill switch back and forth a bunch of times like people recommended in other posts and it didn't work. How hard is it to get the switch out to clean it out with some contact cleaner?

Any other ideas with the kill switch?
buy a new one. They are less than $10
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:57 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Yes - do use insulated pliers to hold the plug against frame/engine - and it's best done in darkened conditions so you can judge if the spark is a strong blue one. It's easier to use a spare spark plug rather than taking out the original - this also loads the electric system the same as normal conditions.
At a shop I used to work at, there was a guy who would always call and want to talk to one of the mechanics so he could figure out how to fix his bike on his own. One day he wasn't sure if he was getting spark, so one of the service writers told him to put the phone on speaker so he could hear it crank, then hold onto the spark plug and turn the bike over to see if he was getting spark.
He was.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:12 pm quote
Maybe ?

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic68491
Ossessionato
LX190
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:52 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
At a shop I used to work at, there was a guy who would always call and want to talk to one of the mechanics so he could figure out how to fix his bike on his own. One day he wasn't sure if he was getting spark, so one of the service writers told him to put the phone on speaker so he could hear it crank, then hold onto the spark plug and turn the bike over to see if he was getting spark.
He was.
How much did they charge him for that advice?
2006 GT200
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:19 pm quote
So I took the bike to the mechanic and he said it wasnít running because the spark plug wire was disconnected. I tried to explain to him that I did that and didnít put it back on so that wasnít the case. He said he didnít find anything else wrong with it. So I paid the 50$ he charged me and when I started it up it was running pretty rough. Fast forward two nights later and it is still running rough until it died today and itís doing the same thing as the other week. It sounded like it was about to die the whole time after I picked it up from the mechanic and Iím surprised it stayed running for as long as it did. Any ideas?
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:40 pm quote
If your carb needs to be replaced, it can do that. Check that the manifold isn't cracked. But the mechanic should have spotted something like that. Also, how old is the gas in the tank and have you put anything in it?
2006 GT200
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:21 am quote
Bought the bike with half a tank of old fuel. It ran fine on it. I went right to the gas station and filled it up with 93. And I put some more in it two nights ago.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:54 am quote
jimc wrote:
markomarkovich wrote:
He will know quicker not using insulated pliers if he had spark and won't need a dark area either
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.5531s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1065s) ][ Debug on ]