OP
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
UTC quote
I really could not find the info I wanted to find when I was searching for info on clutches. while a few recommend the dr.pulley hit with fervor i found other feedback of users that were sill having chatter issues with the hit clutch. I also cant wrap my head around the clutch making any difference past 5000 rpm. I would think no clutch could slip above that rpm. and there was certainly no signs of heat on my stock clutch bell with 19,000km on it. More than anything I wanted to eliminate the final annoyance the bike had and that was belt chatter. which I beleive happens as the clutch skips on the bell during half clutch operation. this results in the belt chattering.

So opted for the fly clutch and the white contra spring. purchased from scooterpartsco

so I am happy to report this setup is nothing short of awesome. here is what I experience.

the transmission is overall more quiet and smooth. less vibrations.

low speed chatter gone. wiped off the map.

clutch engages and disengages much quicker than stock shoes. this makes the bike drive with far more precision. where it is most noticable is coasting up to traffic light and the clutch drops out of engagement. with the stock clutch it is absolute pain to re-engage the clutch to get a little more coast speed. with the malossi its a complete joy. it locks back in quickly and smoothly.

low speed putting around is much improved for the same reason. the clutch locks in at slightly higher rpm but it does it quickly and smoothly so it is easier to make slow speed maneuvers.

after a couple of hours with clutch I couldnt get over how much more enjoyable driving on this clutch is. piaggio should get with malossi and sell the bike stock with this setup.

no negatives that I can think of. fabulous addition to your 500.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Mine experience with Malossi clutch.

It was installed to my Bigbeo by someone before me (total mileage was 20000 miles/32000 km). This happened: the clutch shoes lost friction pads and melted, thus welded to clutch bell. So the engine started on centerstand, but no chance to start the bike when you're on it with rear wheel on the road.

Luckily a friend was with me, who kicked me to help the engine roll on start. This was a really bad experience: 300 km in the darkest night, at +14 Celsius, on a Beo which won't start if you stop it to refuel or to water bushes on the roadside.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@hillbilly_fred avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "

Hooked
@hillbilly_fred avatar
UTC quote
That's scary dude!
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Yep. But we had good luck and returned safely... Besides working on clutch, I found that someone had variator weights installed a wrong way (and causing wear of variator pulley). So I replaced the front pulley too.
@brasseye avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@brasseye avatar
UTC quote
This clutch has been an absolute joy and has transformed the bike.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
That's crazy (both what happened to your clutch, and your decision to ride it that way! ). Happy to hear you made it home alright! I hope you get the bike fixed soon.
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Thanks! Yep, I've fixed it already, now all I gotta do is flush brakes after rebuilding (cleaning, mostly) brake calipers. That should lead to modifying integrated brake system, which uses same brake proportion valve as on other Aprilias and Piaggios, but BigBeo does not have a banjo bolt with bleed valve on it, as others, and its brake proportion valve is installed in another way.

I must say I love Scarabeo, but Piaggio's engineers make scooters better than Aprilia's. It has several design faults, but that's not a topic to discuss them...
UTC

Enthusiast
mp3 500 2016

Enthusiast
mp3 500 2016
UTC quote
Hi,wat does the new white spring helps with?
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
echris108 wrote:
Hi,wat does the new white spring helps with?
the white spring is called a "contra" spring. the spring applies pressure to the rear pulley halves. the pulley halves have to spread apart (overcoming spring pressure) to reach lower rpm cruise speeds. a higher pressure spring keeps rpm higher for longer during acceleration. it may help to reduce belt slip as well.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@nktwrk avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
mp3 500 '08

Enthusiast
@nktwrk avatar
mp3 500 '08
UTC quote
Does the Fuzzy washer produce the same effect as the Malossi clutch?
@hillbilly_fred avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@hillbilly_fred avatar
UTC quote
nktwrk
Nope! Let explain. The Fuzzy washer is for a smoother takeoff and for a smoother ride in lower RPMs. Say you`re driving down a city street at 25 mph or 30 kmh ,without it you`re Scoot will shake you up like a Milkshake. With it ;you won`t notice any Milkshake effect. Like I said at the beginning, it will also give you a smooth takeoff. Only the right Vario weights and Clutch (Parts) can give somewhat faster takeoff.
@nktwrk avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
mp3 500 '08

Enthusiast
@nktwrk avatar
mp3 500 '08
UTC quote
Thanks for replying.

As I understand your post...the fuzzy washer will remove the "milkshake" at low speed with or without the Malossi clutch?

I want that milkshake gone at low speeds, thats my goal.
@frogmandave avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 MP3 400

Hooked
@frogmandave avatar
2008 MP3 400
UTC quote
The 'fuzzy' washer will improve the shudder (milkshake) you experience upon acceleration. It also slightly drops gear ratio improving take-off acceleration. While you are in there you should install some lighter variator weights. My suggestion would be to switch to some Dr. Pulley sliders. With the 'fuzzy' washer and sliders your take-off acceleration will improve dramatically.
@hillbilly_fred avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@hillbilly_fred avatar
UTC quote
Right on the money Dave!
@brasseye avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@brasseye avatar
UTC quote
I could sand the faces of my original clutch and it stopped the judder for 500 miles or so, but changing the clutch sorted this problem long term for me.
@nktwrk avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
mp3 500 '08

Enthusiast
@nktwrk avatar
mp3 500 '08
UTC quote
Frogmandave, do you happen to know where I can get my hands on a fuzzy washer?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0746s ][ Queries: 20 (0.0462s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]