Tilt lock troubleshooting
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Mp3
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:51 am quote
My main question is where is this connector (see attachment).
I have been able to apply power manually to the tilt lock motor and watch the lever go back and forth. I also verified that the D shaped shafts that turns the potentiometer turns about 3/4 turn in each direction.
I can't actually engage the tilt lock manually because the tilt lock motor junction (behind the little plastic cover) is busted.
Also, does the manual screw on the back of the tilt motor adjust the potentiometer shaft? I'll be able to figure this out when I disassemble the bad tilt motor assy.
last question. ... does the cable that comes from the tilt motor to the front micro switch actually do more than that. For example; does it hook up to the brake pads that lock the tilt?

Screenshot_2018-10-31-09-31-31.png

Mp3
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:48 am quote
Update (fixed tilt lock)
Our main issue was tilt lock doesn't engage or disengage with switch. We found the connection being the little plastic cover broken. This means that the hydraulic plunger never moved.

The used tilt lock assembly came in without the DC motor. We knew the motor worked because we had already used 12vdc to lock and unlock the bike. Swapped over the DC motor. The good news is the tilt lock hydraulic cylinder was the updated model. This has a much better connection between the mechanical and hydraulic parts of the tilt lock assembly. The new tilt lock lever was too big to use our original cable. We ended up using the original lever. It just had one nut and a Woodruff key. We really didn't have much luck bleeding the tilt lock though.
With everything hooked up we still had red tilt lock light and yellow. The loud horn also came on indicating low pressure. We disconnected the pressure switch and horn ceased. We engaged /disengaged tilt lock 10 or so times. Still had red tilt lock and Rev limiting.
We adjusted the DC motor screw while monitoring wire 5B coming out of tilt lock computer. It's supposed to be 4 volts and 1 volt locked and unlocked (or visa versa). As we approached 4vdc the beep and red light went away. We were also able to hook the pressure switch back up. I'm sure the 10 tilt cycles probably helped bleed the system.
Took for test drive and all is well.

Note; the tilt lock potentiometer is a one turn pot. The tilt lock turns roughly 3/4 turn going back and forth in normal operation. The little jewelers size screw on the back of the motor adjusts the pot.
MP3 250 & T Max
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:09 pm quote
Well done!
I had similar problems with my 250 and approached the tilt lock system by centering all the components-ie: the motor half way through its cycle when driving the gearbox-about 80 turns of the screw on the motor- then setting the potentiometer to half way - 5 ohms (10 ohm pot.), muttered some incantation and turned the key. What a feeling of elation...after many hours of frustration.
So far, with 15,000km added, all is well. Just had to do the Gonzo Tweak last week.
Without this forum and its fabulous contributors I would have been stuck up the proverbial creek.
Sla'inte.
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 250
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 am quote
Hello am new here
I just omy 2009 250 MP3 & the tilt lock isnít working the RED Light keeps flashing no beep.
I spent all nights reading about it but I couldnít solve my problem
I change the handlebars switch, change the oil & the pressure sensor. Check the wires
& nothing solve the problem

Any suggestions
Mp3
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:55 am quote
Mimo951 wrote:
Hello am new here
I just omy 2009 250 MP3 & the tilt lock isnít working the RED Light keeps flashing no beep.
I spent all nights reading about it but I couldnít solve my problem
I change the handlebars switch, change the oil & the pressure sensor. Check the wires
& nothing solve the problem

Any suggestions
When you engage/disengage tilt lock there is mechanical and hydraulic system.
The connection in the tilt lock assy. that ties these together can break. I guess it's somewhat unusual (even though the manufacturer came up with a fix. ) unfortunately you have to disassemble to see everything. If both of your systems are working you can try turning the screw (potentiometer) on the back side of the tilt lock. Turn slowly in both directions. You can get to the adjustment without disassembly.
If you suspect the computer I would first disconnect the connector from the tilt lock motor and apply 12vdc then reverse the leads. You should be able to manually engage and disengage the tilt lock.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.4904s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0611s) ][ Debug on ]