Sheared bolt - next expert help
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:14 pm quote
Another suggestion on the use of a screw extractor, drill the hole deep enough so the extractor doesn't bottom out. It needs to bite into the broken bolt and can't hit bottom.
Hooked
2018 GTS300 Super, 2015 GTS300 Super Sport, Past: LX50, Honda Elite 90, LX150, MP3 250, Suzuki GSX650F
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:22 am quote
Update from OP:

so I stopped reading and started dremeling around where someone recommended to dremel a slit into the bolt. I asked if it is okay if i score the engine case in the process because of how narrow the bolt is and the answer was yes. I've since caught up on the thread where it was recommended not to dremel.

So I did just that. Now I have a slit in the screw extractor/bolt/engine. I've liberally applied anti-seize, and hit it with the heat gun for a long period of time as well as the hammer.

Not budging and now the engine has a slit in it across the bolt hole.

I called Vespa Boston and they said they couldn't help me. Am now aimlessly calling machine shops, most of which don't want this small a job.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:33 am quote
Call a welding shop and ask if they can weld a nut on a broken bolt. Haul the scooter there and get it done.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:35 am quote
flyingpertyhigh wrote:
Update from OP:

so I stopped reading and started dremeling around where someone recommended to dremel a slit into the bolt. I asked if it is okay if i score the engine case in the process because of how narrow the bolt is and the answer was yes. I've since caught up on the thread where it was recommended not to dremel.

So I did just that. Now I have a slit in the screw extractor/bolt/engine. I've liberally applied anti-seize, and hit it with the heat gun for a long period of time as well as the hammer.

Not budging and now the engine has a slit in it across the bolt hole.

I called Vespa Boston and they said they couldn't help me. Am now aimlessly calling machine shops, most of which don't want this small a job.
Did you read my multiple posts?
I know what I am talking about, worked at a car dealership for 5 years, boat dealer for 1.5 years.
In your area I would start calling boat dealers and ask if they know of a Bolt Extraction company.
If you were in Ca. there are multiple the come up in a google search.
Hooked
2018 GTS300 Super, 2015 GTS300 Super Sport, Past: LX50, Honda Elite 90, LX150, MP3 250, Suzuki GSX650F
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:08 am quote
NightWing wrote:
Call a welding shop and ask if they can weld a nut on a broken bolt. Haul the scooter there and get it done.
Calling around now
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 am quote
Or don't listen to the person that turned wrenches for a living.
Hooked
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:04 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Or don't listen to the person that turned wrenches for a living.
Donít get me wrong I appreciate your input. The reality is I have multiple suggestions from people that have done this their lifetime and I can only do one thing, weld or machine

Vespa already said they wouldnít machine it for me. Motorcycle shops I called told me they wonít work on Vespaís. Al the machine shops are closed until Monday
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:04 am quote
Having cut the slot, used a penetrating oil, and applied heat - did you use a hand impact driver to try to remove the debris? That is what I would have done in the first instance.

If that failed, as suggested above I'd use a small diameter drill bit to drill around the broken extractor - even if that buggered the original threads. Then the old bolt remains should come out, and the hole could be re-tapped for a larger thread or a Helicoil/Timesert could be used to keep the thread the same.
Hooked
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:34 pm quote
I think itís an M8. At the auto store. Next size appears to be m10

image.jpg

Hooked
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:35 pm quote
Correction - this says to use sale size bolt as before. Buying M8
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:03 pm quote
Just asking - what would be the danger of just doing up all the other bolts and riding the scoot to somewhere that can fix it? I appreciate it's safer to have all 4 bolts done up securely but for a one off trip to get it fixed would it be that bad?
Hooked
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:24 pm quote
robinm wrote:
Just asking - what would be the danger of just doing up all the other bolts and riding the scoot to somewhere that can fix it? I appreciate it's safer to have all 4 bolts done up securely but for a one off trip to get it fixed would it be that bad?
I indirectly addresssd this further up. This isnít that I donít want to tow or drive it to get it fixed. I canít find anyone to fix it. Part of the problem is a lot of the types of places I need access to are closed on the weekend.

I bought some new cobalt bits. Iím going to try to drill out the bit
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 pm quote
Cobalt drills will not touch that broken extractor.

Why not just wait until tomorrow when businesses are open?

https://www.yellowpages.com/boston-ma/welders
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:14 pm quote
flyingpertyhigh wrote:
robinm wrote:
I indirectly addresssd this further up. This isnít that I donít want to tow or drive it to get it fixed. I canít find anyone to fix it. Part of the problem is a lot of the types of places I need access to are closed on the weekend.

I bought some new cobalt bits. Iím going to try to drill out the bit
Listen to JimC:

"Having cut the slot, used a penetrating oil, and applied heat - did you use a hand impact driver to try to remove the debris? That is what I would have done in the first instance.

If that failed, as suggested above I'd use a small diameter drill bit to drill around the broken extractor - even if that buggered the original threads. Then the old bolt remains should come out, and the hole could be re-tapped for a larger thread or a Helicoil/Timesert could be used to keep the thread the same."
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:35 am quote
One should always "think ahead" toward what can be done thread size wise or thread repair wise in this instance. BUT!, you are , in fact, a long ways from buying anything.
FWIW, I would not want any surface disturbance in an engine casting , especially near a fastner hole as it could eventually result in a crack that trashed an engine! Such as that slot.
My purpose in saying to try impact vibration on the extractor was that it is much harder than the remnant screw threads and would sort of "peen" against the softer metal then rebound(Newton's Law"!) and perhaps pop loose.
This would be your lucky play, no doubt as may not happen as described.
It's easy to make wild guess on web situations but I will say that in the pictures of the specific spot there appears to be "non-concentric circles"? If so the extractor was off-center which often results in a broken extractor. Been there, done that, as it's tough to drill a perfectly centered hand held hole but that's what is needed. It was suggested above to use as large an extractor as possible but that most obviously requires a perfectly centered hole which often is not what you get. If the first drill marks are off in the least, one should STOP!!! If things don't look right to a satisfactory removal, again, STOP! and find someone/someplace where it can be removed professionally.
Might be Monday, might not but best to not bother the repair any more than possible so they have the best possible shot at saving your engine case.
Not one word of my comments are toward criticism but rather to consider that sometimes we cannot save the day at home.
Find somebody... I like the small boat shop/machine shop idea as they are more likely to give the more personal reaction to your plight. The big guys are busy with industrial work loads.
Good Luck!
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:58 am quote
The one time this happened to an engine of mine, the mechanic who drilled out the bolt somehow destroyed the threads and put in a helicoil. We ended up replacing the right side engine case, because it not only destroyed the engine case, but it also wallowed out the hole in the swingarm before it was all over.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 am quote
Motovista wrote:
The one time this happened to an engine of mine, the mechanic who drilled out the bolt somehow destroyed the threads and put in a helicoil. We ended up replacing the right side engine case, because it not only destroyed the engine case, but it also wallowed out the hole in the swingarm before it was all over.
This is why I was really pushing him to find a company that does this, they have the tools and knowledge that can prevent him from having to buy a new side case.
With all the boats and salt water up there they are around.

I would start calling high end boat dealers.
Hooked
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:42 pm quote
Iím done.

Iíve been drilling with cobalt bit and all I have now is a perfectly smooth crater (with the slit where I dremeled in the engine case)

Also, I now see that my swing arm is bent. Which would explain why the bolt sheared in the first place.

Edit: I should clarify I was rear ended on this bike a year ago but this is the first time Iím removing the swing arm since then. We (Vespa dealer) and I assumed no damage. Obviously the force bent the swing arm which messed up where the two bolts go into the case. The second bolt, which did come out, I just tried the bolt again and it does not go in by hand at all. Requires a tool

I need a new case and swing arm.

D67A0377-B36F-4B2D-A870-E8FBDF08258D.jpeg

Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 pm quote
Before you get a new case, it will probably be a lot cheaper and easier to (I can't believe I'm about to say this ) do as WebTech suggested and take it to someone who knows what they are doing. You probably won't need a new case if you can put down the power tools and turn it over to an expert. In addition to removing the bolt and whatever else you've gotten in there, they can chase the threads and fix that line you cut into the case. New bolts might be all you need for the top hole, or the threads might need to be chased too. There are people who do this for a living, and they are pretty good at it.
One thing I would suggest is removing the ecu, starter motor and stator before you turn it over, because if they need to do any welding, it might fry just about everything near it.
If you keep fixing it until you do need a new crankcase, you just need the right side. Don't let anyone switch it out who tells you that you have to remove the crank from the left case. You don't. Piaggio puts a 1 or 2 on their cases, and people think it makes a difference and you have to match them, until you pull the top end off one and find out they mismatched the cases at the factory. You will need a complete engine gasket set, but they're pretty cheap, and you can probably pick up a right side case for less than $100. I think I paid about 40-50 each for the three swingarms I replaced before I replaced the right crankcase. I have an GT200 and the crankcase was from an ET4.
The GTS, GTV and GT all use the same swingarm.
The GTS, GTV, BV250, Scarabeo 250, MP3 250, Sportcity 250 and anything else with a Piaggio 250 or 300 engine uses the same right case.
Ebay is your friend.

OTOH, if you want to keep at it, grab a couple of 20% off coupons and head on over to harbor freight. the odds are pretty good that you are going to break a bunch of bits, so it's not worth getting anything much better than what they have.
Get the set of three self centering drill bits, the set of reverse drill bits, and the hardest small diameter bits they make. Replace the bits in the self centering bits with the reverse bits, and use a tiny regular bit to make a pilot hole, then have at it with the reverse bits. Jim was right, sooner or later they just about always break the bolt loose. Chase the threads with the correct tap, replace the bolts, and you're good to go. If the case breaks because of the line you cut into it, get a new case, but it might not.
If you damage the threads, get a new case. The odds that you can perfectly drill the hole for a helicoil or other insert while sitting on the floor with a power drill, once you've got the original hole wallowing, are pretty slim
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:14 am quote

Is it me or is the slot not in the middle and not deep enough by half. You could plunge the dremel disk in at least 1/4 In.
Any groove in the casing is irrelevant. Dont be shy!
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept, Britishland, nr Urop
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:59 am quote
For what it's worth, if this had come into my workshop I'd go straight to an extractor to get this out following all the best protocol for size and hole depth. Next if that didn't work I'd TIG another bolt to it and wind it out. If that failed and sometimes it can, I'd dismantle the engine case's and strip the bike. It's the only way. That's what pro's normally do and in that order.

If a pro is refusing to do this work it's because he probably quite busy, and it carries risk for the workshop and customer. It can cost a lot of money and customers get somewhat irritated if it doesn't go well and they generally throw a tantrum when told they need a new case often blaming the workshop for incompetence or some such shite. On the whole, 9 times out of ten it comes out ok.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:05 am quote
Motovista wrote:
One thing I would suggest is removing the ecu, starter motor and stator before you turn it over, because if they need to do any welding, it might fry just about everything near it.
Not needed, just disconnect battery and if welding is needed, tell them to clamp the ground lead as close the the spot they are welding as they can.
You don't want to be welding on the back and your ground feed clamp on the front. Ground lead should be within a few inches of the area being welded.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:08 am quote
waspmike wrote:
Is it me or is the slot not in the middle and not deep enough by half. You could plunge the dremel disk in at least 1/4 In.
Any groove in the casing is irrelevant. Dont be shy!
It would be fixed by now if he had just listen to me Right person would have that out in no time.
Hooked
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:35 pm quote
flyingpertyhigh... did you get this sorted? I hope it all worked out
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:36 pm quote
berto wrote:
Looks like it is for sale, as-is.
Molto Verboso
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:14 am quote
I find it interesting that the OP, located in Boston would mail parts to California for painting yet then give up on what is a fairly common repair in the world of wheels?
I'm not out to criticize, just reflection.
Seems they neither paint nor remove screws in Boston, Massachusetts?
Hooked
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:18 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
berto wrote:
Oh, so it is. I guess that answers the question
Hooked

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 am quote
Iím guessing the calculus is:
Scooter repair + imminent hassles of moving + potential issues getting a salvage title registered in California = sell it as is

Thatís a sweet ride but it isnít clear if the current salvage title has followed due process to make it legal to drive in Massachusetts. From the little Googling I just did, and some conjecture that may be inaccurate, it looks like a bit of work and not-insignificant cash to get registered in another state, plus the possibility that the scoot will have to be taken back to Massachusetts to be inspected again, plus some risk that the DMV inspection wonít allow it to be driven if the damage is deemed too severe or unrepairable despite its highly operable condition.

A most unfortunate series of events for the owner. Perhaps a good project for somebody with some time on their hands! Unfortunately, that is not me.
Molto Verboso
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:59 am quote
I have much experience with salvage title vehicles. There is no specific cost involved to title a salvage vehicle. The title itself says salvage on it or it's not salvage. Confusing? Not really, as the official name "salvage" comes from a title or it's simply someones personal, general description.
The cost involved is to repair said vehicle and plate it for road use. In most states that process involves receipts and affidavits of repair, then submission to the DMV and result is a branded title vehicle. Some might say flood vehicle, and so on.
Many I've seen have no visible to the eye damage but declared salvage by the mfg. for various reasons.
In my state it will say, "rebuilt vehicle" meaning it came from salvage. Some states have different degrees of damage and the worse case damage situations are not repairable for road use.
My body is a salvageable item (at least so far) that gets a knee job soon, so hardly a new concept...
Hooked

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:00 pm quote
Costs several hundred dollars to get a salvaged vehicle titled and inspected in New York, in addition to sales tax and the usual registration fees. And there is no guarantee that the ownerís definition of ďfixedĒ will meet the DMVís definition; if not, the vehicle is either off-road-only or a pile of parts.

Maybe that cost is lower if the Massachusetts inspection allowing the vehicle back on the road has already been done. But it isnít clear from the description that it has. Seems like it would be spelled out if it had been.

Undoubtedly some expertise helps here...maybe this is a good project for you, Kantuckid!
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 pm quote
Stromrider wrote:
I'd dismantle the engine case's and strip the bike. It's the only way. That's what pro's normally do and in that order.
not too familiar with vespa cases but i assume if you were to pull all the other bolts for the case...the gasket is flat and the edges of the case are flat (no recessed lip or gasket inside a trough?) so would you have the clearance to rotate the whole case in a counterclockwise rotation to get the case off so you could grab the remaining part of the bolt with vice grips and just loosen it?...or could you just score the case with a angle grinder and break it and then rotate the remaining piece off and do the same thing with the remaining bolt since you have to replace the case anyway?
Madison Sully wrote:
berto wrote:
yup saw the ad go up the other day and put it in my favorites...salvage title, being in an accident, plus having to work on it makes it a pass for me but it is very tempting...
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/d/vespa-gts-300-super-sport/6748398073.html
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:55 pm quote
well its not worth $2k having a salvage title IMO fixed or not. definitely worth a whole lot less NOT fixed.
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept, Britishland, nr Urop
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:28 pm quote
Point37 wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
I'd dismantle the engine case's and strip the bike. It's the only way. That's what pro's normally do and in that order.
not too familiar with vespa cases but i assume if you were to pull all the other bolts for the case...the gasket is flat and the edges of the case are flat (no recessed lip or gasket inside a trough?) so would you have the clearance to rotate the whole case in a counterclockwise rotation to get the case off so you could grab the remaining part of the bolt with vice grips and just loosen it?...or could you just score the case with a angle grinder and break it and then rotate the remaining piece off and do the same thing with the remaining bolt since you have to replace the case anyway?
Madison Sully wrote:
berto wrote:
yup saw the ad go up the other day and put it in my favorites...salvage title, being in an accident, plus having to work on it makes it a pass for me but it is very tempting...
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/d/vespa-gts-300-super-sport/6748398073.html
Point37, no you can't rotate the case. There are dowels in the crankcase preventing that. If all else fails you have to either attempt one last but brutal assault with the drill or cut the case around the broken machine screw. Once you've done that you can get an 'easy out' on the bolt and wind it out, but I always heat the case around the bolt first with a heat gun just to be sure. And, IT MUST BE A HEAT GUN not a hair dryer or a flame gun! The whole removal process at this point only takes about 15 mins. The secret is not to let it get to this point though, as WEB-Tech is implying. Never do this if you ain't done it before, OR if you don't have the tools. I've had loads of this sort of thing brought to me over the years to sort out. Usually it's straight forward as long as owners haven't interfered with it first. However, its difficult to criticise owners for having a go...except owners don't usually have the skills.
Molto Verboso
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm quote
tenders wrote:
Costs several hundred dollars to get a salvaged vehicle titled and inspected in New York, in addition to sales tax and the usual registration fees. And there is no guarantee that the ownerís definition of ďfixedĒ will meet the DMVís definition; if not, the vehicle is either off-road-only or a pile of parts.

Maybe that cost is lower if the Massachusetts inspection allowing the vehicle back on the road has already been done. But it isnít clear from the description that it has. Seems like it would be spelled out if it had been.

Undoubtedly some expertise helps here...maybe this is a good project for you, Kantuckid!
Projects are not needed here. 4 surgeries over a 3 year period got me behind schedule. Especially a scoot that's way up there and low value item to begin with. It's over priced to boot. Who inspects a vehicle there and says it's been repaired?
Here, I signed a notarized affidavit that I'd made certain repairs and detailed the parts and labor involved, then mailed it all in with a regular title application. The only "someone else" was typically the frame guy, a friend of mine, which had nothing to do with the state. Off road only IS a pile of parts...
Hooked

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:08 pm quote
In NY there exist a handful of DMV-staffed inspection stations, entirely different from the network of state-certified annual inspections stations of running vehicles, at which you make an appointment and to which you take your repaired salvage vehicle, with repair documentation, and photos. They look it over for about half an hour and pronounce it good or bad. You are not permitted to drive the vehicle to these inspection stations, because until itís been inspected it is not road-legal; it has to be towed or carried to the station.

Or so I read today after a quick Google search. Anybody whoís got time for that deserves whatever they can make flipping those vehicles.
Molto Verboso
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:41 am quote
Thanks, I was curious.
I once had the joy of trying to buy a car from a guy in/on LI, NY and spent some delightful time at the DMV folks where you take a number, then get the
"Soup Nazi" treatment by the clerk. I went through that line twice with the guy. It was memorable and far, FAR! from what I experience at home.
KY had regular road vehicle inspections around the time I moved here (1973) and politicos made them go away about then. So, we have the good and the bad of no inspections to this day, I'll take the bad.
They had them in KS when I left and required before you could do a private sale car. The inspectors would milk the crap out of anyone who came by and thus forced lots of cars toward dealer trades by coercion, or so it seemed.
As a pro-wrencher I once took a low mileage car in for that KS inspection and paid to have them tell me it need a bunch of stuff that was actually OK an far from replacement. It's a worn out government story line, I'm afraid.
Sheared bolts are common-now I'm back on track?
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:52 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Many I've seen have no visible to the eye damage but declared salvage by the mfg. for various reasons.
This might be one of those reasons.
As long as they get all the fish out...

mfg salvage.jpg

Molto Verboso
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:13 am quote
Some are wet, but many are from the "Unfixable Row" you see siting behind some dealers. I'm not a fan boy of flood vehicles but some are actually not much more than an interior dry out job. All about the water line or salt or length of wet event.
The car mfg.'s gave (donated for a tax write off is more accurate) flood vehicles,etc., in tech school auto tech programs for instructional use. They are actually helpful as new models under warranty don't come into live work in a school setting at all. Some we'd reject as space issue kept down the option while others were not common enough to serve our purpose. They had limited value as no road use permitted. Some seemed like new in every way, even when taken apart.
Hooked
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:37 am quote
OP providing an update. As some of you have noticed I already listed it for sale as-is.

The vehicle will come with the type of salvage title that allows you to continue to drive it (i.e. NOT for parts only). However, this issue with the bolt remains outstanding. This is way beyond my ability level at this point and I've already been turned away from 3 machine shops.

Things in the Northeast just aren't the way that they are out west - machine shops, and even motorcycle shops, don't want anything to do with a Vespa. My Vespa dealer told me my only option was to replace the case which would cost >$1,000, which is why I said in another thread that I "re-totaled" the scooter

Truly compounding this is the fact that I'm in the middle of a move. Dec01 I move into temporary housing without a garage (or even driveway), and then Jan 01 I move to San Diego.

My current plan is to continue trying to sell it as-is, and if I can't, take it with me to CA and get one of the plethora of businesses out there that would be happy to help me.

Can you all please provide me suggestions for prices as-is, and when the bolt is fixed and its ride able again? I actually got 1 guy very interested at $2k but he's turned off by the bolt issue.
Hooked
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:01 am quote
So the potential buyer was turned off by the bolt issue? Honestly, the way that scooter sits it is a parts bike. If someone pays you 2k, and ends up needing to drop another grand on a fix that may or may not be permanent, they have way over paid for that bike. Drop the price to $700 if you want serious buyers.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.9333s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1104s) ][ Debug on ]