OP
UTC

2019 GTS 300 Super

2019 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Hi to everyone. I am currently looking to purchase my first Vespa after renting one in Italy last month. I am looking at a 2019 GTS 300 Super. I am thinking of getting a top box go with the scooter for extra storage and so my wife can have a backrest.

What are your thoughts on the top box? Is it worth the money?

Should I invest in the crash bars?

I am always hot and would like a helmet that breathes. What would you recommend in a full face or modular? I love the idea of a 3/4 but my wife likes my face and I would like to keep it. What are you thoughts on Shark helmets?

Would I be crazy to wear shorts on hot days?

Thanks for any tips or insights that you may have. Time to start studying for my CA motorcycle learners permit.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
Re: Future Vespa owner with questions
Welcome to MV Mike

Top Boxes are great. Easy to take off too when your wife gets her own scooter.

Are you planning on crashing? Are you new to two wheels? Do you have a chrome fetish? If you answer yes to any of these questions then crash bars are a great idea.

Most of us are ugly enough that full faces are pretty much mandatory. I need a dark visor too.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
The GTS is a great scooter! And the top case is both useful and makes an excellent backrest when you ride double. Now about riding in shorts - I am not so hard core as some about "all the gear, all the time", but I have never ridden a scooter in shorts. Everyone chooses their own limits for managing risk, but do give that one some thought.

Regarding helmets, I am a big fan of the Nolan N43e, N44, N40 full. They protect your face while still allowing good visibility and good air flow.
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTS 300

Hooked
2016 GTS 300
UTC quote
Hi Mikehenryjr, welcome to the forum.
I agree with znomit about the full face helmet, and for the same reason yes you would be crazy to wear shorts on hot days. Unless you find a hospital emergency dept. to be a particularly salubrious environment, of course.
Where I live we have some summer days well over 30C (86F) On those days I just don't ride. I take the view that if it's too hot to wear a decent m/c jacket and jeans, it's too hot to ride. But I see plenty of people in T-shirt and shorts on scooters. Your call as to the risk you want to take, I guess. I spent my whole working life in hospitals before I retired, so I have a fairly acute appreciation of what happens when things go wrong. And remember, it doesn't need to be your fault!
Good luck with getting your your m/c licence. Every time you ride your Vespa it will remind you of your Italian holiday.
Cheers - Jim.
OP
UTC

2019 GTS 300 Super

2019 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Welcome to MV Mike

Top Boxes are great. Easy to take off too when your wife gets her own scooter.

Are you planning on crashing? Are you new to two wheels? Do you have a chrome fetish? If you answer yes to any of these questions then crash bars are a great idea.

No plans on crashing, just want to protect the beautiful new Vespa from shopping carts and other people. I would get the crash bars in black. I think they would blend well with the matte yellow I am planning on getting. I am new to two wheels.

I live in Southern California and it's hot most of the year. It was 75 degrees today. I would be baking if I was in jeans.

Most of us are ugly enough that full faces are pretty much mandatory. I need a dark visor too.
OP
UTC

2019 GTS 300 Super

2019 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
No plans on crashing, just want to protect the beautiful new Vespa from shopping carts and other people. I would get the crash bars in black. I think they would look nice on the matte yellow Vespa I am planning on getting. I am new to two wheels.

I live in Southern California and it's hot most of the year. It was 75 degrees today. I would be baking if I was in pants and a jacket.
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
Dress for the slide not the ride!! I'm amazed daily at the amount of close calls I'm subjected to.

Remember once your moving it ain't so bad with the wind cooling you.

I'd get some Kevlar jeans, light weight textile jacket with protection and plenty of air vents. Leaving the jacket slightly unzipped gets plenty of air in also!

If you do hit the dirt you may think oh I'll react and turn my head so my face will be ok.....trust me it's so fast and brutal you won't so yes go full face and open the visor.

Get boots with ankle protection too.

Enjoy the scooter though that's the main thing and agree the black on yellow will rock!
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
It seems a big hassle wearing all that safety equipment but good gear has good ventilation. That includes helmets. Like others I value my chim and all above it so it's full face for me. I recently replaced my lid and it has vents in various places that keep my head cool when on the move. Mine also has a pin lock, effectively a heated screen in front of you so it doesn't fog up, and it's easy to open the visor if you are stopped for a while. It also has an internal visor which is a tinted visor that can be deployed on the move without having to wear sunglasses.
My own protection also extends to decent boots, but it is a very personal thing. I would advise against shorts ever for the same reasons as everyone else.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
Seems all good advise.

I am one of those who does wear shorts etc and rides with an open face helmet but yeh I am a bit crazy but there are some of us out there. I think it boils down to how confident you are in your environment that you ride in and what your levels of risk are. FWIW, after 18 years on scooters I have not come off one yet but that doesn't mean I think there is no danger around the corner.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Try on some helmets! I would own none except a modular! It's not about if your wife likes your face? Read up on what actually protects.

Unmentioned is how you plan to protect your hearing and your eyes? It is worth consideration...

Shorts- only you can answer that one? I highly suggest google searches and taking hard look at the results of skin meeting pavement or heads vs. hard objects. There are no (two-way) fender benders, as such when riding a PTW.

Top case- It really boils down to how the scoot is used. Ih ave a SHAD 39 on mine and feel it's perfectly sized for my purpose while others see an OE Vespa smaller top case as a must have. A milk case is the best for a grocery run-lighter, holds more, costs less and either way they easily come off.

I wear mesh riding pants in summer with hiking shorts underneath.

Confidence I have (way over 18 years of riding!) but the odds are against you if you lose.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
Mikehenryjr wrote:
It depends on what you need. Should you use the scooter for traveling and shopping, it is nice to have. It is also good for storing your helmet while away from the scooter. But for most rides they are unnecessary if you can carry everything you need under the seat.
Mikehenryjr wrote:
I personally don't like them. Others love them. I find that they are in the way of putting my feet down on stops and when pushing the scooter around. They also mess up the beautiful styling.
Mikehenryjr wrote:
I am always hot and would like a helmet that breathes. What would you recommend in a full face or modular? I love the idea of a 3/4 but my wife likes my face and I would like to keep it. What are you thoughts on Shark helmets?
I wear a 3/4 Scorpion. I liked it so much I bought another identical one for its replacement. I know full face makes more sense for protection, but I prefer the ride with an open face. I don/t know anything aobut Shark helmets.
Mikehenryjr wrote:
Most members of my scooter club ride our long rides wearing shorts and t-shirts. I used to do the same, all the time, but over time started wearing a jacket, mesh in summer, warm in winter. I also wear boots on most rides and gloves too. But I still ride to work with work clothes.

Wear what you want. Just don't fall off.

Bill
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
You can't go wrong with a GTS 300. Great scooter, solid performance, wonderful style.

My recommendation is to get the top box as it makes your scoot much more versatile (carrying things - shopping, camping, longer rides, etc.) Crash bars I think are a personal decision. I have them on my GTS, partly for looks, partly for protection.

Why not opt for a 2018 or 2017 GTS and use the savings to buy all sorts of add-ons? Just a thought.

Welcome to MV from San Antonio, TX!
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
+1 for the top box, very handy for light stuff.

Additional foot pegs might be worth checking out too, if your wife rides with you a lot. The positioning of feet can be a bit awkward for the pillion.

About clothes - it's hard to answer anything helpful without sounding like promoting doomsday....but to really protect bones, muscles etc. you'll need quite heavy gear. But skin is important too, actually the largest organ of the body - so wearing light mesh gear is much better than being without, from the protection viewpoint.

Try on helmets, they feel very different from each other.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
[quote="WLeuthold"]
Mikehenryjr wrote:
Mikehenryjr wrote:
I personally don't like them. Others love them. I find that they are in the way of putting my feet down on stops and when pushing the scooter around. They also mess up the beautiful styling.

You will also find that when you come to sell the scoot, you will get little return (if any) for all the extra chrome you've added.

Having said that, I just love the chrome look and I have put plenty on mine. Also lots of people, including me, swear that the chrome side bars have saved their scoot from inevitable dents and scratches after their bike has accidently tipped over. Once it passes the tipping-point, over it goes, taking you with it. Scooter emoticon
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
An additional thought on a top case- when filling these scoots it is very hard to avoid a gas poof and the cat box gets the splash fairly often. I tend to not put any type of clothing or food items in there and use plastic bags to cover contents for that reason. When toting camping gear the underneath storage must be uncovered as you peel off the gear so it's often as accessible either way given the inside filler location which I very much dislike. Two of my main criticisms are small fuel tank and inside filler and they affect you the most when the trips are longer.
I cannot over emphasize that helmets should be tried on and even then, after experience you'll learn even more. There are much better helmets available at price points below the best ones sold than was true only a few years ago. Advances in material technology has caused the change along with improved manufacturing, so some affordable helmets are better than the best ones were, only a few years back. Weight, protection level, interior materials and feel, visor features, modular or not and shell shape come into play. I would not spend $600-800 on something I wasn't pretty sure was going to work for me. The more urban the area and larger dealers offer a showroom full of them. In the beginning, ignore the "look" and pay attention to the "feel". Peripheral vision is much better in some helmets as is ventilation. Modular lovers, like me, like the ability to "flip their lid" whenever you fuel up, etc., and to raise the visor above ones head and wear safety glasses while riding in heat.
IMO, there's no "doomsday" aspect to protecting oneself? I'm not chasing an argument or forcing my preference on anyone. Reality is that the news is full of crashes and annual deaths match the totals of some wars we fought. What we do agree on is that human nature is to be carefree and have fun and scooters are heavily in that direction. To the degree, in fact, that many riders go un-protected while doing their fun.

I began wearing a leather helmet(yes, just like George Clooney in the movie) in the 1950's as a young boy playing FB, then we changed to composite helmets in FB, then wore steel combat helmets, then composite flight helmets, then MC helmets of fiberglass and nothing like what I wear now in protection.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Welcome aboard...my two cents.
Quote:
Hi to everyone. I am currently looking to purchase my first Vespa after renting one in Italy last month. I am looking at a 2019 GTS 300 Super. I am thinking of getting a top box go with the scooter for extra storage and so my wife can have a backrest. What are your thoughts on the top box? Is it worth the money?
I am not a fan of the top box and would invest in a sissy bar. The back rest does give my wife a lot of comfort but a top box isn't the greatest investment. It limits what you can place on the rear rack and I have often placed large items on the back. If you don't plan on shopping and the Vespa is mostly for pleasure riding, then a top box isn't a bad option.

https://www.scooterwest.com/gts-rear-back-rest-cuppini-fits-on-stock-rack-gts22cp.html
Quote:
If you are concerned about the look of your bike, then absolutely. They are worthwhile for keeping your paint clear. Got t-boned two years ago and they saved my body work and paint.
Quote:
I lived in Bangkok Thailand for two years and rode in incredible heat and a full face helmet isn't horrible if you invest in a good brand that has great ventilation. I wear a 3/4 for around town slow speed riding and a full face for highway speed riding or if I know I am going to be riding a long time. I prefer the 3/4 for the feel of the wind in my face at slower speeds. However, I can tell you a bug hit at 60 hurts so FF is always my choice for bigger speeds. Shark are decent helmets but I would be open minded on brands. You really need to see what feels good on your head. Brands fit differently. I am a Nolan owner. Their helmets fit my head perfectly.
Quote:
Absolutely not. I ride all summer in shorts and sandals. BUT, you need to understand your skills as a rider. I have been riding a PTW since I was 6 years old. I am comfortable on a scooter and I feel like you should move to shorts when you feel super safe. Get your sea legs and then when you have gotten a bit of mileage under you, wear what feels best.

If you have the time, take the MSF class. Good riding is about education and understanding how to ride defensively.
@pccoder avatar
UTC

2018 GTS 300 Touring

@pccoder avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
My response is going to be a little different than most. I say wear what you want. It's more about comfort for me. If it's boiling hot outside I wear shorts. If it's freezing I'm wearing thick pants.

I owned several motorcycles and now a Vespa. I always felt more at risk on motorcycles. The Vespa handles easier, brakes faster, balances better. Overall it's just simpler to ride. It's like I'm riding a bicycle with a motor. Much more maneuverable than a car and I can move in and out of traffic much easier than on motorcycles or cars.

In the 70's when I was growing up we didn't wear all the bicycle helmets and pads and somehow we survived. I see adults wearing all these safety helmets, etc. on their bicycles and think it's kind of humorous.

With that being said, I still think it's wise to wear a helmet on a scooter. I imagine hitting your head on the ground will hurt a lot more without a helmet than if you are wearing one. However something we neglect to mention is that if you hit it hard enough it won't matter if you're wearing a helmet anyway.

What you're most likely to injure on a fall is your legs and hands. When humans fall we tend to reach out with our hands and not wearing gloves will quickly remind you of that when you try to break your fall with your bare hands. Road rash burns.

Regarding the top box I would buy it for the following reasons.

1. You're going to want the storage space.
2. Your chances of finding a factory matched painted top box to your specific year of Vespa is better if you buy it now instead of later.
3. You're going to want the storage space.
4. It does create a nice backrest for your passenger.
5. Did I say you're going to want and NEED the storage space?
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
northernerbill wrote:
Dress for the slide not the ride!! I'm amazed daily at the amount of close calls I'm subjected to.

Remember once your moving it ain't so bad with the wind cooling you.

I'd get some Kevlar jeans, light weight textile jacket with protection and plenty of air vents. Leaving the jacket slightly unzipped gets plenty of air in also!

If you do hit the dirt you may think oh I'll react and turn my head so my face will be ok.....trust me it's so fast and brutal you won't so yes go full face and open the visor.

Get boots with ankle protection too.

Enjoy the scooter though that's the main thing and agree the black on yellow will rock!
+1; I love my Nolan N104 modular.
UTC

GTS 250

GTS 250
UTC quote
Freedom to choose
I have been riding on the street for the last 43 years, I have helmets 3/4 and full face. I do sometimes wear them, but not always. If its 90 degrees I ride without, if its 26 degrees (like today in Ohio) i ride with it. I also ride with shorts and long pants for the same reasons. I have not recked a motorcycle since I started riding on the street (knock on wood). This is because I use limits based my own ability and on road conditions. Also on the types of roads I'm riding and of course I ride defensively. There may be a day when I say darn I should have had long pants on or the helmet on, However, its the freedom I have to make my own choices. I have crash bars because I like shinny things. I customize my bike so they look different than others, I have a top case for long trips for personal items and short trips trips to the store. Get what you think you need, wear what you like and most of all be safe and enjoy your new Vespa. I attached a picture cause I like to see what others ride so this is what I ride.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
I say wear what you want, You're an adult. I wear shorts but if I'm feeling froggy, these are better than nutten.
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTS 300

Hooked
2016 GTS 300
UTC quote
Northernerbill said:
"I'd get some Kevlar jeans, light weight textile jacket with protection and plenty of air vents. Leaving the jacket slightly unzipped gets plenty of air in also!"

Leaving your fly unzipped keeps the lower half cool.
Just remember to zip it up when you get to your destination.
Oh, and watch out for bees and wasps.
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
Jim in NZ wrote:
Leaving your fly unzipped keeps the lower half cool.
Just remember to zip it up when you get to your destination.
Hmmm.... never thought of this.
Jim in NZ wrote:
Oh, and watch out for bees and wasps.
That's exactly why I stopped wearing shorts when I ride....
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
So, it was on local for sale and i had $$
Which is why this past June I got a 2009 GTS 300 with 'trimmings' at a very good price. And a huge learning curve. Fluids in these scoots are designed to read correctly with the center stand, prior owners checked fluids with scoot on side stand, explained why oil was over filled. Those crash bars are awesome, but they also make getting your foot on that little lever to push down the center stand a learning curve. It is ok to put the scoot on the side stand while you go change footwear (at home) so you can get the blasted scoot on the center stand. I am all the gear, almost all the time. I might go a couple blocks in my small town to the fast station without my helmet on, but rarely. I like my brains and face and ride very buggy back roads, that windshield is nice but I like that face shield too, and since I have to clean dead bugs off it, know if I was not wearing it, the dead bugs would be on my old face.
This scoot can and does go over the speed limit...and ya, the local small town cop can pick that up on his little radar gun....no, I am not explaining why I know that is a fact. I will say that no matter the day or time, if you are crusing back up the river roads from St. Louis, do slow all the way down in Kampville IL. Top boxes are great, trust me, you need more storage space than under the seat...
Let us know which scoot you get, post photos and ride safe.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I do open my cuffs in summer but insects can get in! Ouch!
There's a reason why I leave my fly closed even on my riding pants, actually two reasons, "my family" is in there! plus summer pants have highly evolved vents that open up, same as the mesh jackets.

I gotta say this- IMO of course, anyone who feels their riding experience or precious summer comfort in shorts, etc., makes them an unlikely victim of the idiots we all see out on the road is living in Candyland?
I have never ridden in Candyland, nor am I a worrisome type of guy.
I don't mean this in a hateful, vindictive way but truth be known my skill & experience might/will help me but I still cannot control the actions of others nor the presence of that pavement underneath me. Road hazards are a known factor in highway activity too.

I have never forgotten that helpless feeling when I turned into that parking lot 50 plus years ago to find that sand had been spilled onto the pavement. I went down hard but no skin or other injury because of the pants I was wearing and it probably helped that I was young and fit.

Be careful out there...or not.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Personally there are two things I add as soon as possible to a new Vespa (or other PTW for that matter) which are a windshield and a top case. I like the locking storage that will hold helmets and jackets when I'm off the scoot. Many of them like Givi and Shad, along with some versions of Piaggio can be removed with a twist of the key and pres of a button. That lets you use the rack for items that won't fit in the top case if you need to. Also lets you take the entire top case in if the weather is bad so you don't have to unload in the rain.

Regarding crash bars, matter of personal taste. I like the looks of some of them but the ones I like best don't offer as much actual protection as the Piaggio ones that are much larger.

Helmets, I rarely buy anything other than a Nolan. They fit me well and the n43/44 series have a huge field of vision. Plus if the weather gets really hot you can remove the chinbar for more airflow. Though the n44 has very good airflow anyway, I know little about Shark helmets but my advice is to get one that fits well and has ventation options. Like others I have both full face and 3/4 helmets. I wear the 3/4 when running out for coffee, meal or just cruising around town at modest speeds. If I'm going to to be going over 60mph I want the full face.

I also find that a mesh riding jacket is cooler than a t-shirt in really hot weather. You get a filtered breeze through the mesh that doesn't cause skin to get dehydrated like wind in the hot sun.

What my son would do as a daily commuter to school in hot weather is wear his shorts then pull a pair of mesh overpants on top of them. That gives protection but still airflow. If you get a lighter colored pair instead of black it can be cooler than shorts alone as well. Whether or not shorts alone would be crazy depends on your risk tolerance. I will say that I have on occasion ridden in shorts but again for short trips that are not much above bicycle speeds like going to get a coffee or lunch on 30mph streets. Any faster and that's above my comfort level.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I do as cdwise's son does in heat, hiking shorts under mesh. I bought SIDI DOHA riding shoes when I began with scoots as a way to be protected yet cooler and comfy and bit more casual approach to riding. Every other gear aspect is the same for me on a scooter vs. a MC. They are not as comfy as "real shoes" but stiffer and have special padding that might make the difference in keeping my feet.

On a longer ride I use wicking shirts and have moved away from a life long T-shirt habit against my skin.
My topcase is in need of reflective material, such as I've placed on the ones I've owned before.
Do not buy the cheap, crappy Chinese make believe stuff! They use 3M's name like it's the real McCoy which I assure you it's not. it fades from UV quickly and is extremely tough to remove when you see it's degrading-I know this from experience!
The best seems to be-"3M Diamond Grade Conspicuity Tape" which is pricey but so are funeral arrangements. Stuff lights up like it's on fire!
I'll try to get my wife to do a video of my rear GTS lights. Will they wake up the texters- maybe, maybe not, if I never find out that's a good sign?
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
What did you end up doing Mike? Or did you pull the trigger yet?
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Let's see...

- Bike? No-brainer there: fabulous. Love mine.

- Top Case: Not a bad idea, and if you get one now, (1) you can easily get one that matches, and (2) you can always remove it when you don't need or want it on the bike. That being said, I chose a seat bag that goes on and off fairly easily, and has both a hand and shoulder strap for easy carry off the bike.

- Windscreen: Recommended. I use the smallest Vespa makes (Euro-spec Flyscreen).

- Crashbars: I went minimalist with Cuppini bars - reasonable protection combined with non-obtrusive style for me.

- What to Wear: I'm now what you might call a Most of The Gear, Most of The Time rider: for really short hops (<1mi) in really hot weather, you'll catch me in shorts and a tee; longer than that, it's jeans, longer sleeves and a mesh riding jacket (cdwise is right-on about this, corroborated by me this past summer: a mesh jacket actually feels better than a tee, more often than not, not to mention one hell of a better skin/bone-saver in a crash). Regarding helmets, any helmet beats none (not to mention being a legal requirement where you are [EDIT: based on ScootOhio's post, the mandatory part likely isn't true]), but my choice is a damned good full-face with serious ventilation. Gloves? Yes...I recommend perforated leather with strategic armor at the knuckles and reinforcement at the palms, for starters. For footwear, there are lots of options, but I recommend something that protects you from the ankles down - there are even Chuck Taylor clones with armor where you need it, and water-resistant as well.

There's always other stuff you can do (and may want to do!) with the GTS, but remember that it's a sweet ride just as it is, and all the above stuff merely enhances the experience here and there. Enjoy the bike the second you get it, and all the other stuff will come together as it should. (Except the riding gear...get that stuff ASAP.)
Up Front: Love the look, appreciate the function.
Up Front: Love the look, appreciate the function.
Out Back: Nelson-Rigg Seat Bag.
Out Back: Nelson-Rigg Seat Bag.
Cuppini Crashbars: My compromise between protection and aesthetics.
Cuppini Crashbars: My compromise between protection and aesthetics.
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 1 time
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Paddlenround wrote:
If you have the time, take the MSF class. Good riding is about education and understanding how to ride defensively.
^^^for a new rider this is the best piece of advice...get your permit...then take the MSF beginner class and get your license though the class...the information is a benefit, it's fun to tool around on beater motorcycles and getting a new license mailed directly to your house without ever having to step foot in a RMV is a huge benefit (at least that's how it is over here)
Mikehenryjr wrote:
Hi to everyone. I am currently looking to purchase my first Vespa after renting one in Italy last month. I am looking at a 2019 GTS 300 Super. I am thinking of getting a top box go with the scooter for extra storage and so my wife can have a backrest.

Thanks for any tips or insights that you may have. Time to start studying for my CA motorcycle learners permit.
top box...i took mine off cause i couldn't fit certain items in it and they were easier to tie/bungee down...as was said a backrest with saddlebags may be a better option...but this all depends on what you're thinking of carrying with you

crash bars...not a bad idea for a new rider...especially since it sounds like you're buying new...most new riders of anything will drop it at some point so they will protect your toy in that case...you may also be able to use them for tie down points or places to mount something

helmet...always try on a helmet at a shop before you buy it...different helmets/brands are shaped for different heads...all helmets have to pass the same type of tests to get dot or snell certified...i will say that cheaper helmets typically have less shell sizes and the sizes are adjusted with more or less padding...more expensive helmets have more shell sizes and the same amount of padding in each...for example i have a hjc medium for my wife and an arai large for me and the arai is smaller than the hjc...which helps at higher speeds with wind by having less surface area to toss your head around and give you a sore neck...sold the hjc and kept the arai full face and added a bell 3/4...mostly use the bell around town with a pair of clear safety glasses

shorts...i wear shorts and sandals on the scooter all the time now...when i rode motorcycles i was fully covered and had a leather jacket and gloves for highway riding and sometimes around town...i have been down on a motorcycle on a highway ramp and i'm glad i had the jacket on...i won't ride on the highway without protection, the speeds are too high...around town on a scooter i wear less cause i want to be comfortable and enjoy the ride...i know this isn't exactly safe but it's my decision...a cyclist in decent shape can reach speeds that would require skin grafts if they were to hit the ground and you won't ever see them covered in leather riding around
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Point37 wrote:
top box...i took mine off cause i couldn't fit certain items in it and they were easier to tie/bungee down...as was said a backrest with saddlebags may be a better option...but this all depends on what you're thinking of carrying with you
Saddlebags and passengers don't mix well on a Vespa. Unless you have very short saddlebags they will interfere with putting your Vespa on the center stand. I've used them when touring but find that they are a PIA.

Removable top box is still my go to for storage on a scoot or motorcycle for that matter even though I had hard side cases on my motorcycle. As I mentioned I'm a big fan of locking storage.
@rp_tech avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV-350T, BV-400S, Malaguti 150

Hooked
@rp_tech avatar
UTC quote
NEW GTS 300
Hi Everyone, I put a deposit on a new 2018 GTS 300 in Beige Eleganza color. Got a great deal since they need room for 2019's which are identical in form, fit and function. The 1.9% financing is another savings on the 2018.
My son and I will share riding time.
Converting all lights to LED.
Am getting the color matching Top Box for days when I need more luggage space but like the look of the folding back bracket. Someway we'll make it work so that I can attach the top box to the folding bracket and still have it fold for days without the box.
Only a half helmet will fit under the seat so I got the DOT Bell Pit Boss with removable soft leather lower section. It has an internal sun lens and we're getting the clear and mirror lenses also. They snap into the bracket.
Dealer is installing an on-board charger to plug into a flanged inlet.
I ordered a RAM cell phone holder with 45 degree ball to mount to the left mirror stem at the bottom threaded section so only a ball will show to spectators.
It's too cold now to ride here in Cleveland and the Dealer will store it till I want to pick it up probably in late March.
We can't wait much longer
Ralph and Phil Tech
On the GTS 300 Scooter in the store.
On the GTS 300 Scooter in the store.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
RP Tech wrote:
Hi Everyone, I put a deposit on a new 2018 GTS 300 in Beige Eleganza color. Got a great deal since they need room for 2019's which are identical in form, fit and function. The 1.9% financing is another savings on the 2018.
An Afrika Korps scooter! I like it.
@rp_tech avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rp_tech avatar
UTC quote
Re: Freedom to choose
ScootOhio wrote:
I have been riding on the street for the last 43 years, I have helmets 3/4 and full face. I do sometimes wear them, but not always. If its 90 degrees I ride without, if its 26 degrees (like today in Ohio) i ride with it. I also ride with shorts and long pants for the same reasons. I have not recked a motorcycle since I started riding on the street (knock on wood). This is because I use limits based my own ability and on road conditions. Also on the types of roads I'm riding and of course I ride defensively. There may be a day when I say darn I should have had long pants on or the helmet on, However, its the freedom I have to make my own choices. I have crash bars because I like shinny things. I customize my bike so they look different than others, I have a top case for long trips for personal items and short trips trips to the store. Get what you think you need, wear what you like and most of all be safe and enjoy your new Vespa. I attached a picture cause I like to see what others ride so this is what I ride.
@rp_tech avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rp_tech avatar
UTC quote
I really like the red rims that match scootohio veapa.
@rp_tech avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rp_tech avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
RP Tech wrote:
An Afrika Korps scooter! I like it.
Hey Dooglas, not many know of the Africa Corp. Think Rat Pack TV show.
Hey Dooglas, not many know of the Africa Corp. Think Rat Pack TV show.
@spuds avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 BV 350, 2016 300 GTS Super Sport, 2016 150 LXV

Hooked
@spuds avatar
UTC quote
I went with the Cuppini backrest. It protrudes less into the seating area than a top case, maybe giving an extra inch of room. And my wife likes how it is positioned and hits her back a little higher, so that she can just lean back and enjoy the ride.

I have a leather bag that I can attach to the rack if I need additional carry capacity, but I've found that I rarely need it. Usually I'll attach the bag strictly for cool factor.
⚠️ Last edited by Spuds on UTC; edited 1 time
@rp_tech avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rp_tech avatar
UTC quote
Hi Spuds, apparently your wife is set up for back seat riding. Are those the extended foot pegs; do they hit your heel and ankles?
Regards, Ralph
@spuds avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@spuds avatar
UTC quote
RP Tech wrote:
Hi Spuds, apparently your wife is set up for back seat riding. Are those the extended foot pegs; do they hit your heel and ankles?
Regards, Ralph
No, the extensions actually move the foot peg rearward and out of the way.
@rp_tech avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rp_tech avatar
UTC quote
cup holder
Hey Spuds, do you have a on-board cup holder? Looking at the one from RAM.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
I prefer the Classic Rack footwell cup holder.
https://www.classic-racks.co.uk/cup-holders
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0982s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0119s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]