Introduction and seat/fuel lid opening problem
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 LT 2009
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:51 am quote
I am very pleased to be the new owner of a 2009 MP3 400 LT since last week.
My main motivation is to use it for daily commute to work.
Because I work in Amsterdam it is almost impossible to park there so a MP3 was a very good alternative without going through the trouble to get my motorcycle drivers licence.

The MP3 is in pretty good shape with only 15k km on the counter and only some small problems that don't effect driving, but I like to fix stuff so no big deal.
One of these problems is that I can't open the seat or fuel lid with the key lock (I use the the key remote to open the seat).
When I push in the key lock and try to turn it, it won't budge either way.
Ignition and steer lock work fine though.

My question is: is it worth it to check the lock (taking of all the panels and maybe disassemble it), or should I just replace it (expensive and maybe a problem with keys?)?
Any other options?

Now I use a butter knife to wedge the fuel lid open, but that is obviously not ideal and I would also like to have the option to open the seat manually if the key battery dies.

I'm very exited to be part of this forum and hope you guys can help me
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:35 am quote
did you push the key and switch in

Dus sleutel er in naar beneden drukken dan draaien dan gaat pas het zadel open en tankklep als je hem niet indrukt kun je hem op contactslot zetten
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:10 am quote
Re: Introduction and seat/fuel lid opening problem
Dr.GoatSlayer wrote:
I am very pleased to be the new owner of a 2009 MP3 400 LT since last week.
My main motivation is to use it for daily commute to work.
Because I work in Amsterdam it is almost impossible to park there so a MP3 was a very good alternative without going through the trouble to get my motorcycle drivers licence.

The MP3 is in pretty good shape with only 15k km on the counter and only some small problems that don't effect driving, but I like to fix stuff so no big deal.
One of these problems is that I can't open the seat or fuel lid with the key lock (I use the the key remote to open the seat).
When I push in the key lock and try to turn it, it won't budge either way.
Ignition and steer lock work fine though.

My question is: is it worth it to check the lock (taking of all the panels and maybe disassemble it), or should I just replace it (expensive and maybe a problem with keys?)?
Any other options?

Now I use a butter knife to wedge the fuel lid open, but that is obviously not ideal and I would also like to have the option to open the seat manually if the key battery dies.

I'm very exited to be part of this forum and hope you guys can help me
My 2016 MP3/500 Sport Fuel Cover pops open very well. It was an improvement over the MP3/250 and MP3/400 older Models. My older MP3/250 continued to be a problem where it would not open. My solution was to use a Dremel tool, and I shaved some of the curved plastic on the cover off where it opened flawlessly. So this may be a consideration for you.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 LT 2009
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:19 am quote
Thanks for the suggestions!

I did push the key in all the way down. I am familiar with the mechanism so pretty sure I'm doing it right. It's just that the cilinder seems to be stuck when pressed in.

Although I wasn't able to test it yet, I don't think that the cover gets stuck or anything. Just the key not turning when pressed in.
Hooked
MP3 500
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:27 pm quote
When I open the fuel door, I have to fiddle with the key while pushing on hinged end of the door to make it swing open. It's not the best engineered part on the MP3
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.6200s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0557s) ][ Debug on ]