@l4nff avatar
UTC

Hooked
1972 Vespa GTR, 1963 Lambretta LI 125, Royal Alloy GP125

Hooked
@l4nff avatar
UTC quote
Ok so still running the engine in and quite enjoying myself doing so,until however Iran out of petrol. Not a massive disaster as Only a mile away from home. Managed to wiggle the tank a bit and get enough juice to get me up the hills.
Anyway any tips tricks or after market equipment that can help me out here. Yes I know take a look before you set off. But anything else?
@philos avatar
UTC

Banned
2001 LML 150 2t

Banned
@philos avatar
2001 LML 150 2t
UTC quote
I ran out of fuel last week too..

I usually fill the tank up just before I get home so I know how much is in there when I set off next time. Another plus with a full tank is there'll be less air and less moisture, so less likely to corrode.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
This
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@worrywort avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX125E

Hooked
@worrywort avatar
PX125E
UTC quote
Hello.
I did that once and learned the hard way.
What I do now is when I fill up I take a 5 litre can with me and fill that too. Also I add the oil so I don't have to sod about with that little joy.

I bet you thought like me and 10,000 others, yep I know I've got half a tank or so. I just want to ride, not go arsing about at the Garage first because It's Sunday and sunny. I'm sure I'll get away with it.
5 Miles later.....Brrrrrrrrrr.

So now if I know I'm going for a ride, (Not a ride to work which is at 5:30 in the Morning and no buggers about), I can top up and go.
OP
@l4nff avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@l4nff avatar
UTC quote
Worrywort, your right, but not sure I want a 5L tank strapped to the scoot so I may invest in a small fuel container I can hide.

However is there an after market addition I can add to the scoot without making changes to the originality of it? I don't want to drill holes or anything.
@worrywort avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX125E

Hooked
@worrywort avatar
PX125E
UTC quote
Hello.
I should have explained it better. I fill the 5L can and leave it at home.

when I want to go out to play as opposed to commuting. I fill the tank at home first. I don't carry any with me.
Cheers Del.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
no holes to drill
Don't you guys have a reserve position on your fuel tap? OK, I do too but for whatever reason, all too often I've run out of power and reached down only to discover it's already on reserve . So I always carry one of these full of fuel and don't worry about it. Where I ride I'm never more than half a liter away from more - no pushing it home or phoning for rescue 8) . Fits easy in toolbox, glovebox or under the seat on a smallie.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
May not be per code or even illegal in places, but experience indicates they are gasoline proof and don't leak with the cap on tight. I fill them a little short and squeeze out some air before capping so any heat expansion shouldn't be a problem.

Of course there are many nice small portable fuel canisters I could buy, but I do like to recycle and I have several bikes which already eat too much money .
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
UTC quote
I made the mistake of running out of gas a while back. Now I have a 32 oz. aluminum MSR fuel bottle full of gasoline in the pet carrier of each of my scoots. Hopefully I'll never be in that position again!
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
You can get a 1 litre "fuel friend" from a few of the shops, and they are a legal fuel container.... they have a proper size lid for filling up from the petrol station.
The coke bottle is not but it does hold fuel without eating through the plastic.
@matty5 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@matty5 avatar
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX181 Quattrini and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX181 Quattrini and some motorbikes
UTC quote
If there are issues with jetting there are a few signs to look for that will make the fuel go a bit further. These maybe won't help not running out, as it will go longer between fill ups but will make it a little more economical, nicer to ride and possibly faster as well.

Doesn't matter if your scooter is factory stock or a 10,000 rpm screamer, the rules are the same. First thing to look for is the end of the exhaust pipe. If there is wetness or oil marks around the tailpipe, then the main jet is too big.

Next is the exhaust stub and downpipe. If there is black splooge dribbling out, then only the pilot jet (and/or needle jet for the big carbs) is too big.

Apparently a perfectly running 2 stroke doesn't burn 25% of the fuel, one with the jetting wrong could waste an awful lot more.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
cheap gas bottles
Ginch wrote:
You can get a 1 litre "fuel friend" from a few of the shops, and they are a legal fuel container.... they have a proper size lid for filling up from the petrol station.
The coke bottle is not but it does hold fuel without eating through the plastic.
All true, I know. In my case I always buy gas in big containers like Worrywort, then premix & gas up at home because I get alky free several miles from home in the US 15 gallons at a time w/ my truck hauling the cans. Here in Greece most gas stations are small & cramped, so taking up space fooling w/ 2T oil in a hurry is sometimes uncomfortable. But I do carry a small bottle of 2T as well as the coke bottle of premix.

As for the small mouth bottle, it makes it easier to put gas in the tank, especially a smallie. I do need to use a funnel to fill, but with 3 inches of air left at the top and a built in funnel, I don't spill when pouring into the tank.

I just checked Amazon for giggles and the 1 liter fuel bottles are very attractive and mostly north of ten dollars. If I only had one bike maybe I'd get one of those w/ a fancy spout.

jack: Thanks for the tips, I've often thought about what/how regarding getting the best fuel economy. Now you've got me thinking more...
@loopy_lil avatar
UTC

Vespa PX 125e

@loopy_lil avatar
Vespa PX 125e
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I brought an updated SIP fast Flow Fuel pump with the additional LED light to show when you are getting low. Need to think of somewhere to mount the LED that looks original-ish.

Also, I brought an empty Oil can like this (not my actual bike) and attached it to the Spare wheel, I plan on painting it to look a bit more vintage but will contain enough to get you to the next petrol station.
OP
@l4nff avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@l4nff avatar
UTC quote
Loopy, I think ill have one of those. I'll just check the measurements when I get home.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
Here is my spare gas can - Ha - No, I store the 5 gallons at the house and fill the scooters from it, and also the lawn mower and chain saws.

I have no backup on the road except the reserve.
UTC

Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)

Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
UTC quote
In the past I have carried something like this for a little extra fuel, with the idea that I wouldn't be far from home and that 1/4 gallon or so would be enough to get me far enough further down the road.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54199?page=msr-fuel-bottle-20-oz

I think that most of us use the reserve portion of the tank as our "low fuel indicator" When it runs out of fuel the first time, you switch it to reserve and go straight to the nearest gas station.

Please don't store gasoline in your scooter in a soda pop bottle. Also, if you do carry a spare can, make sure to use it regularly and then refill it so it doesn't go stale.
@danie avatar
UTC

Hooked
1957 VN2, 1970 180 Rally, 1980 P150X and P200E

Hooked
@danie avatar
1957 VN2, 1970 180 Rally, 1980 P150X and P200E
UTC quote
Hi Jack221: those jetting tips are great. If you have more tips like those, please share them with us.
OP
@l4nff avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@l4nff avatar
UTC quote
Mine doesn't have a reserve, or does it? How would I know?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
I just calculate miles per gallon at each fill up and fill up when I've reached half what I think I got left.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
panchoboots wrote:
I just calculate miles per gallon at each fill up and fill up when I've reached half what I think I got left.
OK.... so what kinda miles per gallon are you getting?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
I haven't ridden in a few months but my p200 gets close to 40 and I think my Sprint was 46. I've never bothered on my super but I'm sure it's over 50.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
PS, I've never rebuilt the engine in my P and struggled through pinging issues. I've swapped CDI's and stators and even jetted rich. I really C10 in it which solves it but they don't sell that at the pumps. Ultimately I just run it at half choke. I'll be back to riding after a few more months of "peace keeping".
@fatbear5 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1977 P200, 1980 P200

Molto Verboso
@fatbear5 avatar
1977 P200, 1980 P200
UTC quote
My P200 gets about 40MPG and it's pretty much stock
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
So maybe I'm not as bad off as I think.
OP
@l4nff avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@l4nff avatar
UTC quote
Ok so it arrived and should cure my running out of fuel problem.
@loopy_lil avatar
UTC

Vespa PX 125e

@loopy_lil avatar
Vespa PX 125e
UTC quote
Well done,i think they`re top gear for the price.
@fatbear5 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1977 P200, 1980 P200

Molto Verboso
@fatbear5 avatar
1977 P200, 1980 P200
UTC quote
I use the same MSR bottle that JetPeddler does and I strap mine to the underside of my rack using pipestrap (not shown). It's out of the way, it stays in place and is easy to reach. I figure that it's good for only a few miles but I've never run out of gas and I'm usually never far from a gas station anyway. If I'm taking a long trip, I have a 2.5 gallon can I take with me.
@worrywort avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX125E

Hooked
@worrywort avatar
PX125E
UTC quote
Hello.
Just for reference dear reader. Please remember to carefully compare US Gallons with Litres and then do the same with UK measures.
Stay sane and sober.
Cheers Del.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
That's a very good point WW!

A UK gallon = 4.54 litres
A US gallon = 3.78 litres

Fortunately the sensible measure, the litre, is the same whether you live in Mississippi, Milton Keynes, or Moon Base Alpha.

Razz emoticon Razz emoticon Clown emoticon
@mxyztplk avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS250ie ET4 VBA1T

Hooked
@mxyztplk avatar
GTS250ie ET4 VBA1T
UTC quote
Is anybody else a little spooked by a fuel bottle next to a gas stove?
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
mxyztplk wrote:
Is anybody else a little spooked by a fuel bottle next to a gas stove?
My boss was when he saw it on my screen at lunch! I had to explain it was brand new and not full... at least I hope not.
@rkbsound avatar
UTC

Hooked
Allstate 1965

Hooked
@rkbsound avatar
Allstate 1965
UTC quote
All great ideas...but I just carry one of these 32 ounce cans in my storage area. I could actually fit a lot of them but one is enough. TruFuel.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruSouth-Trufuel-50-1-Pre-mixed-Fuel-Oil-6525638/202532877

It's actually what I use anyway. I buy the larger cans to fill up. It's expensive, but it's the ultimate in premixed fuel.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Re: no holes to drill
V oodoo wrote:
Don't you guys have a reserve position on your fuel tap? OK, I do too but for whatever reason, all too often I've run out of power and reached down only to discover it's already on reserve . So I always carry one of these full of fuel and don't worry about it. Where I ride I'm never more than half a liter away from more - no pushing it home or phoning for rescue 8) . Fits easy in toolbox, glovebox or under the seat on a smallie.

May not be per code or even illegal in places, but experience indicates they are gasoline proof and don't leak with the cap on tight. I fill them a little short and squeeze out some air before capping so any heat expansion shouldn't be a problem.

Of course there are many nice small portable fuel canisters I could buy, but I do like to recycle and I have several bikes which already eat too much money .
OR you could go to Home Depot and get a can of this and keep some oil with you. Seems a lots safer.
They sell premix but only in 50-1 and 40-1.. Not sure what mix you guys use.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Seems like many are against gas in a pop bottle, maybe it sounds radical and dangerous but it's not really.
WEB-Tech wrote:
V oodoo wrote:

OR you could go to Home Depot and get a can of this and keep some oil with you. Seems a lots safer.
They sell premix but only in 50-1 and 40-1.. Not sure what mix you guys use.
Seems safer?.... Why, IMO pop bottles are just as safe as these.
I've had cans get punctured but never a pop bottle. They are made from thick tough PTE to hold the pressure of the carbonated pop. DON'T use water bottles, no pressure = much thinner. Just be careful where you stow either bottles or cans.

Suit yourself, metal or plastic, purchased or recycled. I like recycling pop bottles because they don't rattle like metal and my experience is that they are safe, easy to stow & easy to use. My carb leaks more gas than my gas bottle ever has, now there's a safety issue! Wha? emoticon
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
I used to have the issue of forgetting to flip the reserve lever up as well. Only took one time that I ran out of gas on Route 66 on a ride back from a Rally (early 90's) to never forget again. Some kind soul found me on the side of the road and drove me to a gas station and back. Like others I started carrying a little extra gas with me when I knew I was venturing out of the city. I had to carry a bottle of 2-stroke oil for mixing with with me anyway so it's wasn't a big deal.
@fatamy avatar
UTC

Hooked
59" Allstate

Hooked
@fatamy avatar
59" Allstate
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
. My carb leaks more gas than my gas bottle ever has, now there's a safety issue! Wha? emoticon
Funny statement right there welcome to the joys of owning a vintage vespa.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Go to a paint shop... 1lt of thinners or similar come in metal containers
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0360s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0069s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]