Sometimes I wish it had a kick start .
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:25 pm quote
Tried to start my GTS 300 in minus 4 celcius this evening after I parked the scoot in a Cold garage 3 days ago . (roads are nice and dry)

Everything seemed to be ok . The start engine turned the engine but the engine did not start . On Next attempt the start engine did not "grab" the engine but just span freely . The fuel pump and ignition was ok .

I gave up after a while and went for the bus .

Question: Is it just the Cold or did some part (propably plastic?)brake because of the cold?

MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:53 pm quote
Re: Sometimes I wish it had a kick start .
Jampa T wrote:
Tried to start my GTS 300 in minus 4 celcius this evening after I parked the scoot in a Cold garage 3 days ago . (roads are nice and dry)

Everything seemed to be ok . The start engine turned the engine but the engine did not start . On Next attempt the start engine did not "grab" the engine but just span freely . The fuel pump and ignition was ok .

I gave up after a while and went for the bus .

Question: Is it just the Cold or did some part (propably plastic?)brake because of the cold?

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with the scoot and it's a combination of cold and a weak battery. How old is it?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:16 pm quote
In my experience, scooters do not start more easily in cold weather with a kick starter than an electric start with a battery in good condition. Keep your scooter in good tune, keep the battery at full charge, and replace the battery when it will no longer hold a full charge. Do that and it should start at -4 C (25 F), mine does.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:49 pm quote
Starting at 25 F?? I'll never know.

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:50 pm quote
Its a GTS Super 2016 . In use since 2017 .
The battery is ok . Its just like the start engine spinns without attaching the cogwheel of the engine. I Wonder if something broke due to the cold .

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:25 am quote
Its the starter . I need to take out the starter , open it and see if some part(S) can be replaced .

Is this a job I can do myself ? I have to admit I dont even know what it looks like and where it is located (ofcourse its conected to the motor,but I cant figure out where). A Picture would be nice .

BTW I tired everything else from charging the battery to pre warm the motor . The starter runs like hell but its not Connected to the motor . The outside temp is now +6-8 degrees celcius .

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:35 am quote
Look. Not my video, but I think this is exactly whats going on . Similar sound .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jrqGgYMkM

And here is the solution I think? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VESPA-GTS-300-STARTER-RELAY-GENUINE-FACTORY-PART-/380423664216
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:50 am quote
Don't have any input into identifying/ fixing the problem, but can also confirm that -4C should not be a problem when the scoot & battery are OK.

This does not have anything to do with your problem, but in general, when using the scoot at -C temperatures, just make sure the liquid engine coolant is changed according to the maintenance intervals with the proper stuff that don't get frozen. If I remember correctly, the standard one recommended by Vespa and used normally handles a bit of freezing fully OK.

Other than that, sub-zero degrees of Celsius should not cause much problems to a fuel injected machine that is used regularly.
Hooked
BV 350
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:15 pm quote
Maybe
If a part has too much oil or grease on it, it can become 'sticky'. when it gets cold. Before you start swapping parts, might clean the various moving parts, apply a thin coating of oil, and see if it works.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:17 am quote
Ok. It was not the battery, not the relay or the Cold (its warmer now)
I have to check the starter . Now this looks difficult and I dont fell competent to take it off and apart . Looks like theres a lots of parts that has to be removed to get to the starter .

Should I try anyway?

I keep thinking why did they skip the kick start? I mean how much can it weigh? What if this happens on a road trip ? Can I trust it in the future?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:22 pm quote
Jampa T wrote:
I keep thinking why did they skip the kick start?
While I too miss the option of kick starting on newer scoots, they are of limited utility on modern, fuel-injected engines. You still need a topped-up battery to power the fuel pump and injector on modern scoots, so a kickstart doesn't help to get around the problem of a flat battery.
2019 Spring Gathering - May 16 - 19, Location TBD (Likely Maggie Valley, NC)   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2390s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0318s) ][ Debug on ]