Navigation: Where TomTom Teased, Beeline Delivers?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Molto Verboso
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:25 pm quote
Remember when TomTom tantalized us with the scooter-friendly Vio GPS unit, but failed to deliver (at least to us Yanks)?

Looks like someone else might've gone one better:

https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-moto

This looks highly intriguing to me on several fronts, but I'm wondering (of course!) if anybody here's gotten wind of this thing? Specs and form-factor seem great, price seems reasonable, etc. Of course, I'm always cowering in fear of that sneaky "however..."

UIfeatures.jpg
Too good to be true? (Photo: Beeline)

Addicted
lx 50
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:49 pm quote
Yeh the new one released in February looks fantastic and is getting a lot TV advertising here in the UK.

Nice discount for pre order too.

Not much point watching the few reviews yet as they are showing an earlier model.

If I hadnít got a nice Xmax specific smartphone holder coming for Xmas Iíd get one for sure.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:09 am quote
If it relies on mobile phone coverage it won't work for me here. Even with a mobile phone i have to use a mobile hotspot widget and even then....

Bonus is that one finds some wonderful places when lost. In October I rode into a valley and when I rounded a corner i swore under my breath at the view of the valley i have just ridden into.

Last edited by waspmike on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2017 GTS Super 300ie 'Sofia', 2014 Suzuki SV650
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:49 am quote
It actually looks very interesting, like a serious piece of equipment.
I will be looking forward to hearing how it works in the field.

Meanwhile, my TomTom Vio gets occasional use. Since I have the Sena headset attached to my phone/Google Maps, these days I just listen to directions and don't need the visual cues so much.
Ossessionato
2017 Vespa GTV 300, 2017 BMW C650GT
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:57 am quote
SnookerInBerlin wrote:

Meanwhile, my TomTom Vio gets occasional use. Since I have the Sena headset attached to my phone/Google Maps, these days I just listen to directions and don't need the visual cues so much.
Ditto and I have a MC (Garmin) GPS. The GPS is great for long trips especially on the highway as it shows what is coming up, especially handy on merges and exits. For around the city where I know most of the major routes anyway a little voice in my head works wonders. Can't say enough good things about the Sena system.

*EDIT* - Spelling is hard...
Hooked
2016 LXV 150 ie, 2009 GTS Super, 1978 Vespa P125
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:05 am quote
Iím getting the BeeLine, am in on the Kickstarter, we had expected to see them shipped this past November but it seems like they are running a bit late. This should work well for me as I will be able to pre-plan routes and load them in the device, then go play, it does not depend on data connection or being able to reach a cell tower while I am out playing. And I play in a lot of Ďdeadí zones, which is part of why my cell is often turned off or on airplane when I am riding.
Molto Verboso
2014 Commuter BV350(34,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(9,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(28,000)
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:58 am quote
Being someone who would rather spend my money on my scoots than a smart phone, my $80 a year track phone wouldn't work with that.

Oh, didn't I see the magic word "PREORDER"

When I plan a trip. I use Google maps and the street view at every turn for landmarks. Take a pic of the computer screen with my awesome flip phone for future reference, easy peasy.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:29 am quote
breaknwind wrote:
Being someone who would rather spend my money on my scoots than a smart phone, my $80 a year track phone wouldn't work with that.

Oh, didn't I see the magic word "PREORDER"

When I plan a trip. I use Google maps and the street view at every turn for landmarks. Take a pic of the computer screen with my awesome flip phone for future reference, easy peasy.
Easy Peasy? Sound very time consuming to me, as apposed to unlocking my Pixel XL and saying, "Hey Google Navigate To 1600 Penn Ave Washington DC" and put the phone back in my pocket and listen for the directions in my ear buds. Get a smart phone
Ossessionato
BV350, Yamaha Zuma 125, Yamaha FZ6, Toro 3521
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:39 am quote
breaknwind wrote:
Oh, didn't I see the magic word "PREORDER"...
Looks great! I'll get one for my Elio!
Molto Verboso
2014 Commuter BV350(34,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(9,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(28,000)
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Get a smart phone
If you're buying, I'll take the most expensive one they make.
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:36 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
Oh, didn't I see the magic word "PREORDER"...
Looks great! I'll get one for my Elio!
Funny.

I spit out my coffee.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:54 am quote
Looks tempting...and did pass it along to S.O. for Christmas ideas. Oakwood Joe here turned me onto it a week or two back.

Thought I'd already had navigation nailed down pretty good. Was using Ride With GPS, which has both map and verbal instructions. Beeline looks better visually with a simpler display, but then again the simplicity seems to lose the function of telling you which road you're actually turning onto.
I still kind of like having a map displayed to reference.

We were riding in a cell-tower desert in September, but downloading the maps ahead of time seemed to work pretty seamlessly.
Hooked
GTS300 SuperSport ABS
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 am quote
I was looking at a way to use TomTom Vio over here in the US and Canada, but it's reliant on their app which is not available in our country's app store.

Definitely very interested in this unit, since it runs off Google Maps, which I use with excellent results in my travels, even without a cell signal, I always download off line maps of the areas I will be traveling in.

I'm wondering if the pre order is guaranteed or if it fizzles out, your money is lost.
Molto Verboso
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:48 am quote
mingo wrote:
I'm wondering if the pre order is guaranteed or if it fizzles out, your money is lost.
I'm sure they know what pocket they put your money in.
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:57 am quote
I bought in a while back, have gotten some updates, just waiting for delivery sometime in the future. I have been using Google maps as my primary GPS as of late, with mixed results. Never had a moto-specific unit, anxious to try it. As an aside, I recently lent my Garmin to Bill Dog for his cross country adventure, since the sat-nav unit in his rental was less than satisfactory. He says it got him to Denver without a hitch.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:39 am quote
mingo wrote:
Kickstarter isn't an investment plan. It is a crowdfunding scheme.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 250ie, Scarabeo 500ie, SportCity 250, BV 500, Buddy 125
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:50 am quote
mingo wrote:
I was looking at a way to use TomTom Vio over here in the US and Canada, but it's reliant on their app which is not available in our country's app store.

Definitely very interested in this unit, since it runs off Google Maps, which I use with excellent results in my travels, even without a cell signal, I always download off line maps of the areas I will be traveling in.

You can get the app by creating a new Apple account with a UK address. I used some hotel in London's physical address to create mine. Doesn't help with using it in the US though since they don't make US maps available. Worked great on our UK trip last year though. Sure would be nice if they'd make the US (and AU/NZ maps available) after all it isn't like TomTom doesn't have them on hand.
Molto Verboso
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300 MP3 250
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:38 am quote
Re: Navigation: Where TomTom Teased, Beeline Delivers?
amateriat wrote:
. Of course, I'm always cowering in fear of that sneaky "however..."
The sneaky thing on their website is "pre-order" meaning they don't have them yet I guess.
Ossessionato
Kymco Like 200i (Sold)
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:09 pm quote
Are the turn by turn directions from smart phones apps as good as those from say Garmin motorcycle GPS? I have a Sena BT and can link up to two BT devices. Since I would be relying on verbal instructions for directions I like to use the better choice between a smart phone app and a GPS device.
Addicted
lx 50
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:43 pm quote
lostboater wrote:
amateriat wrote:
. Of course, I'm always cowering in fear of that sneaky "however..."
The sneaky thing on their website is "pre-order" meaning they don't have them yet I guess.
Theyíre doing UK prime time TV advertising so guess itís legitimate.
Hooked
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:03 pm quote
Their first BeeLine was for bicycles and itís out and well used with good reviews, and that was done with Kickstart. Iím in on this 1 and I know they are a bit behind schedule with production, issues on buttons working with motorcycle gloves, refining that so we will be able to wear a wider variety of hand protection and still use the buttons on the device. Yes, I read any notices they send me and I also check their website...
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:57 am quote
waspmike wrote:
If it relies on mobile phone coverage it won't work for me here. Even with a mobile phone i have to use a mobile hotspot widget and even then....

Bonus is that one finds some wonderful places when lost. In October I rode into a valley and when I rounded a corner i swore under my breath at the view of the valley i have just ridden into.
I think you only need data to set up your route.

From the site,
"Once youíve set up your route, no data connection is required meaning you can ride off the grid. Also great for saving on data costs when travelling abroad."
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 am quote
Very interesting. Will help to keep riders eyes more on the road and less on the GPS I think. Especially if mounted high like on a mirror or on a windscreen.
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax, 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:25 am quote
I think one long ride would show that this minimal face would have some weaknesses.

The main one is on those occasions where there are two or more roads that are close enough where it is not clear where to turn based on the face.

Having a map with lane assignments makes understanding the route and where to turn much clearer.

I learned over time that orienting the Garmin that I use vertically gives me a better view of what is coming ahead, allowing much comfort in knowing where to turn.

I am sticking with having a real map GPS to guide me.

Sometimes two.

Bill

IMG_0225.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:45 am quote
breaknwind wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Get a smart phone
If you're buying, I'll take the most expensive one they make.
You can get a good used smart phone for less than $100 and use Google Fi phone service, $20 a month for phone service and $10 a month per gig, so if you don't use any data your bill is $20, no other fees added in like 911 service.
Then you have a smart phone If Needed for only $120 a year plus any data you use.

It's almost stupid to not have a smart phone these days at that price
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:13 am quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I am sticking with having a real map GPS to guide me.

Sometimes two.

Bill
Just took another look at the photo...curious about your printed list on the handlebars? Guessing it's not just directions-and looks like a continuous loop. I've tended to keep paper directions handy just in case of technical failure. Unfortunately that can fail too....get to deal with whisking away by the wind, rain, etc.

I think I've transitioned to full reliance on technology, for better or worse. No matter how far along we get, seems like something can always go wrong....
Hooked
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:50 am quote
I run miles and miles on my scoots with little or NO cell reception, I might be the Ďqueení of dead zones when it comes to riding where there is NO getting a signal, so that can and sure has drained the batteries on my smart phones very fast. I am 1 of the people that the BeeLine is the right device for. I can check out, and plan a route, load it in the BeeLine and go, and where I have service, add to that trip or another route, shut down the phone or put it on airplane and go I go again. I donít want a LOT of suff on my scoots, to remove at stops so someone else doesnít steal, this little goodie is designed to easily remove and small enough to pop in a cargo pocket, put back on and off I go to play some more... No, itís not the right device for everyone, Yes, itís a bit costly, but itís my $$ and my play. I am that funny old woman who bought an old van to fix up just to haul a vintage scoot places to play... who often this past summer had the ONLY 2 wheeled ride in the plant parking lot, who had a storage shed built to her specs JUST for 2 of those rides... what works for me and what I want is not what suits everyone.
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax, 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:50 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Just took another look at the photo...curious about your printed list on the handlebars? Guessing it's not just directions-and looks like a continuous loop. I've tended to keep paper directions handy just in case of technical failure. Unfortunately that can fail too....get to deal with whisking away by the wind, rain, etc.

I think I've transitioned to full reliance on technology, for better or worse. No matter how far along we get, seems like something can always go wrong....
The list was simply the names of towns I would be passing through that day, so I could be looking out for the signs leading to each. In spite of all of that, I missed a turn that cost me at least 20 minutes.
Bill
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:42 am quote
It was only a few weeks ago, I was was lost in the driving rain in the new forest and couldn't even see the road let a lone the signs. I vowed to get a mobile phone holder so I could use google maps to navigate. Oddly enough I've never used the program while on the road - do you pay for the data while moving along or does it download what you need when you start? Does the screen stay on or does it time out? Will a clear plastic bag be enough to make it waterproof? Anyway - if this little thing was available now then I'd probably get it but the phone holder did only cost about £8.

Is there anything to stop google maps from offering a similar display?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:05 pm quote
robinm wrote:
It was only a few weeks ago, I was was lost in the driving rain in the new forest and couldn't even see the road let a lone the signs. I vowed to get a mobile phone holder so I could use google maps to navigate. Oddly enough I've never used the program while on the road - do you pay for the data while moving along or does it download what you need when you start? Does the screen stay on or does it time out? Will a clear plastic bag be enough to make it waterproof? Anyway - if this little thing was available now then I'd probably get it but the phone holder did only cost about £8.

In the US you can download sections of Google Maps to your phone so navigation will work whether you have cell service or not. You could download the whole map of the UK I bet. I have the whole Mid Atlantic google map of the US on my phone.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 'Ruby Roo'
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:26 am quote
robinm wrote:

Did you try the Here We Go app that puts the minimised map on your smartwatch?
Molto Verboso
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:46 pm quote
SnookerInBerlin wrote:

In fact, so do I (had a Sena 3S-W, now have a Cardo Packtalk Slim). Works quite well, especially since Google has vastly improved the granularity of the verbal guidance. But I also like the idea of basic, at-a-glance visual cues, which can help in a number of situations. (And, in the event of multiple options on a superslab, I can choose to cheerfully ignore.) Le Wife is genuinely flummoxed at how I can fly at speed on verbal cues alone, but while i've missed the occasional turn or two, I've done fine nine times out of ten.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 'Ruby Roo'
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:40 am quote
Just to show you how HereWeGo nav looks on the Samsung galaxy smartwatch.

Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:12 pm quote
Up until last week I was content to be a little bit lost and just asked folk while I was riding along. My eye's can't deal with the tiny print in the A-Z map anymore especially in fading light but I still carried it around with me so if people couldn't direct me, I'd just pass them the map to help them out (sad but true)

After my recent miserable experience in the New Forest I have gone completely the other way. I installed a mobile phone holder to use google maps last week and just this morning bought a set of blue tooth headphones so I can hear instructions. I even have a smartwatch so that "here wego" app looked quite interesting but I couldn't find the right app in the store. Is it an Android app? Any chance of a link? Can you use it while riding? Can it do vibration alerts for turns like the apple watch.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 250ie, Scarabeo 500ie, SportCity 250, BV 500, Buddy 125
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:52 pm quote
robinm wrote:
After my recent miserable experience in the New Forest I have gone completely the other way. I installed a mobile phone holder to use google maps last week and just this morning bought a set of blue tooth headphones so I can hear instructions. I even have a smartwatch so that "here wego" app looked quite interesting but I couldn't find the right app in the store. Is it an Android app? Any chance of a link? Can you use it while riding? Can it do vibration alerts for turns like the apple watch.
That's one reason I tend to use Apple Maps over Google Maps on my iPhone.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 pm quote
robinm wrote:
Is it an Android app? Any chance of a link? Can you use it while riding? Can it do vibration alerts for turns like the apple watch.
Yes it's available for android, seems apple too....

Here's a link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en_US

Funny, just reading about it, started thinking it was a good idea....then poking around my phone discovered I'd downloaded it a couple of years ago. Used to just be called "Here." Never did try it though. Maybe I will.
Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 am quote
Does look interesting and ticks all the boxes, especially battery life. However, its pre-order status makes it vaporware to me. Anyone can set up a beautiful website extolling the virtues of the "product." When they actually ship, I'll get more interested.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:27 pm quote
griffin1108 wrote:
Does look interesting and ticks all the boxes, especially battery life. However, its pre-order status makes it vaporware to me. Anyone can set up a beautiful website extolling the virtues of the "product." When they actually ship, I'll get more interested.
It's on Amazon currently, with delivery by next Monday.

https://www.amazon.com/Beeline-Navigation-Bluetooth-Computer-Waterproof/dp/B06XH375W7
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:54 pm quote
That Amazon offer would land here in ZA at a price directly comparable with a Garmin Driveô 40LM GPS including lifetime map updates from my favourite motorcycle accessory store.

Perhaps it is useful on a bicycle, but I could use my Garmin or Android better on the motorcycles or the Vespa...
Hooked
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:01 pm quote
[quote="Captain Jim"]
griffin1108 wrote:
It's on Amazon currently, with delivery by next Monday.

https://www.amazon.com/Beeline-Navigation-Bluetooth-Computer-Waterproof/dp/B06XH375W7[/quote

This is their first BeeLine for bicycles, seems the guys ride those peddle things a lot and came up with this, got it funded, got it out and keep selling it. But they also ride motorcycles and so decided those needed a bit of a different device. The YouTube video shows 1 of them running what looks to be MY GTS....
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.6550s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0934s) ][ Debug on ]