Malossi 271cc kit for GTV 250
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
2008 Vespa GTV 250 1962 VBB 1965 VBB
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:57 pm quote
For the gurus,
Im about to install the new malossi 271cc kit (head, 75.5 cylinder and force master 2) on my Ď08 GTV 250. Thanks Scooterpartsco.
Iíve already upgraded the suspension, variator, clutch. My quasar has 45,000km over its ten year life and is running great. But, seeing that Iíll have it apart and everything easily accessible, what should I consider replacing? Timing chain, oils pump that sort of thing. I plan on keeping the scooter long term.
Help.
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept, Britishland, nr Urop
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:41 am quote
Kevin, welcome to the site.

What a gem the GTV250 is. Glad you are pleased with it. Your mileage on the clock is quite low so in reality you don't need to replace anything unless there is something obvious you notice. Although given you are about to lift the rpm's of the bike and increase performance, I think I'd check out the camchain tensioner and camchain, and maybe replace. It's cheap and good insurance.

You might like to check the oil pump and chain by all means but it's unlikely to need replacing. I sometimes do that sort of thing for a customer if they are concerned about it, but Vespa's usually just keep going and going. The 250/300 engines will go big miles if you service them right and use a motorcycle oil of the correct spec (as opposed to car oil which doesn't lube so good). A GTS250 that I have been servicing until recently for the last 3 years has over 86k miles (not KM's) without any issues. So there isn't too much to worry about. Make sure the starter clutch sprag is working and looking good and nice and clean. If you were anal about it then some would replace that too. I've never had to do that so don't know the cost. It's a bigger job to do if that gives trouble once you have the bike all back together.

And by the way, the Malossi kit is brilliant. You won't be disappointed. And yes, I understand that Motovista at Scooterpartsco is a brilliant chap offering great service.

Please do keep posting about this project as many of us will be interested to know how it goes and some of us can help if you have queries. Thanks for posting!
Hooked
2018 GTS 300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:35 am quote
Please let us know your opinion in the kit, have a GTV250 and considering same kit.
Lurker
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 pm quote
Thanks so much for the advise Stormrider. Itís very much appreciated and exactly what I needed.
Iím still assembling the full parts suite before I commence but will definitely post the outcome.
Cheers everyone
Lurker
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 pm quote
Do you need to replace the timing chain gear cogs when renewing the chain?
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept, Britishland, nr Urop
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:11 am quote
Kevin, not usually and especially at your mileage. The cam chain gear wheels should be fine. But as with everything engine wise, just check for hooked teeth or any other damage, but it's unlikely you will find any. I've replaced cam chains at 60k miles for owners as a precautionary measure even though the teeth and wheels have been fine and with only minimal stretch on the chain. The chains could have gone on to cover another 40,000 plus miles I expect but good policy to replace if you have the motor apart anyway. Good luck on this. I think you'll enjoy the experience. It's quite an easy engine to work on as long as you have good tools to do the job and you read up on it first. Once you have done the work and run her in, it should be faster than a standard 300 by some way! Sweet!
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2296s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0487s) ][ Debug on ]