"Off Season" slow down
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:25 am quote
When the site was having Captcha issues, out of curiosity I took a look at the number of new members the site was getting before and after things got fixed. Shortly after, and for some time after, MV was registering about 100 new members every ten days.

I got curious again today and took a look. In the "off-season" it shows we have gotten about 100 new members over the past 30 days.

Amazing what weather will do to things when most of your members live above the equator.
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:29 am quote
Re: "Off Season" slow down
Jet Peddler wrote:
Amazing what weather will do to things when most of your members live above the equator.
I think pretty much everybody lives above the equator.
It just depends on perspective....

The World.jpg

Ossessionato
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:34 am quote
Whatever you do Sully, don't let znomit see this.

He'll get a big head.
Ossessionato
GTV
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:51 am quote
The number of posts allows considerably too.
Hooked
2016 300 GTS Super Sport / 2016 150 LXV
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:59 am quote
In the U.S. it depends on which side of the Mason Dixon line you live, as to how much you have to reduce your activities.
Ossessionato
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:13 am quote
Spuds wrote:
In the U.S. it depends on which side of the Mason Dixon line you live, as to how much you have to reduce your activities.
"Indeed it does," said the man who lives way south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

I actually ride 5-10x more miles in the "cold" than I do in the heat.
Ossessionato
2017 Vespa GTV 300, 2017 BMW C650GT
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:20 am quote
If there isn't ice on the road I'm riding and I am definitely north of the Mason Dixon line. As soon as it hits zero c the BMW put a pretty little snowflake icon on the screen. Bet you don't get that down there :-p
Ossessionato
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:58 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
If there isn't ice on the road I'm riding and I am definitely north of the Mason Dixon line. As soon as it hits zero c the BMW put a pretty little snowflake icon on the screen. Bet you don't get that down there :-p
It actually got down to 24F here in San Antonio in mid-November (albeit very unusual).

Last winter we had two separate, solid weeks of temperatures in the teens (F), a record.

Ossessionato
2017 Vespa GTV 300, 2017 BMW C650GT
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
It actually got down to 24F here in San Antonio in mid-November (albeit very unusual).

Last winter we had two separate, solid weeks of temperatures in the teens (F), a record.

Huh, wadda ya know? Didn't think it got that cold down there. I bet if it snows though the roads are a nightmare.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 250ie, Scarabeo 500ie, SportCity 250, BV 500, Buddy 125
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:21 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Huh, wadda ya know? Didn't think it got that cold down there. I bet if it snows though the roads are a nightmare.
They are indeed since there are not plows and not much stock of ice melting chemicals.

We had quite an ice storm one year with 12 inches and longer icicles on the trees. My husband on waking glanced out the window then practically flew out of bed, into sweats and was out breaking the ice off the trees with leaves on them. Nightmares of broken limbs growing up in Colorado woke him up instantly. That was the worst ice storm I've seen in the years I lived here with ice sticking around for 4-5 days. Given I had a toddler at the time it was a long housebound spell with many roads closed due to ice on overpasses.

I pulled a snow scraper out of my trunk one morning when we'd had a couple of inches of snow in Houston. While I was using it a guy came out of the condo complex (spent the night at a friends after a Christmas party) and said, "that's pretty cool tool, what do you call it?" I replied "an ice scraper". His next question was where would you get such a thing. I suggested alternatives he might have in his kitchen to use and got the hell out of dodge before he returned. Not someone I wanted to share the road with.

Even those who grew up or lived in snow filled areas as adults seem to forget very quickly how to drive in the stuff. Fortunately it is relatively rare, aka less than a dozen times in the 30 years I've lived in Houston has there been enough snow to call it snowing.
Hooked
2016 300 GTS Super Sport / 2016 150 LXV
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:22 pm quote
cdwise wrote:
We had quite an ice storm one year with 12 inches and longer icicles on the trees. My husband on waking glanced out the window then practically flew out of bed, into sweats and was out breaking the ice off the trees with leaves on them. Nightmares of broken limbs growing up in Colorado woke him up instantly. That was the worst ice storm I've seen in the years I lived here with ice sticking around for 4-5 days. Given I had a toddler at the time it was a long housebound spell with many roads closed due to ice on overpasses.

I don't remember what year that happened, but I do remember I had gone home to St. Louis for the holiday and sitting at my Mom's house watching TV and not believing my eyes. Galveston had 12" of snow as well!
Ironically, it was 60F in St. Louis during that!!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 pm quote
Spuds wrote:
cdwise wrote:

I don't remember what year that happened, but I do remember I had gone home to St. Louis for the holiday and sitting at my Mom's house watching TV and not believing my eyes. Galveston had 12" of snow as well!
Ironically, it was 60F in St. Louis during that!!!
Based on my son's age at the time it was probably 1994.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:50 pm quote
Spuds wrote:
I am quite near the Equator and Just west of the Wallace Line. Even the rain is warm. Still commuting every day.

Last edited by waspmike on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:24 pm quote
Spuds wrote:
But the Mason-Dixon line didn't extend west of Virginia (later West Virginia), so what about Colorado, Arizona, California, whatever?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:13 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
Spuds wrote:
But the Mason-Dixon line didn't extend west of Virginia (later West Virginia), so what about Colorado, Arizona, California, whatever?
Extrapolate, basically even with the top of the state of Kanas if you look at a map of states that succeeded though personally I'd put it at the bottom of the state of Kanas for weather purposes.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 am quote
Spuds wrote:
CDwise beat me to this- Last nights news had the Carolinas projected to see a couple feet of snow- might try again on that mason-dixon line weather forecasting...
Here in KY it might be below the line but a map tells me it's straight east of KS where I grew up and both seem pretty cold in the winter.
They grow pecans in southern KS.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.5964s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0622s) ][ Debug on ]