World's oldest Mod still riding...
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:50 pm quote
From an article in 2013. If still riding, she's now five years older.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2275581/Britain-s-oldest-mod-69-refuses-scooter-wears-Doc-Martin-boots-khaki-jacket.html
Hooked
50 N
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:51 pm quote
Maureen in 1967 on a Vespa PX 125

Funny that, I could've sworn they were introduced in 1983 as a PX. And I must be getting blind as that clearly looks like a Primavera to me.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:05 am quote
What is an "oldest mod"?
Ossessionato
2017 Vespa GTV 300, 2017 BMW C650GT
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:16 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
What is an "oldest mod"?
Mods were a big part of the scooter scene, I was one back in the revival movement of the 80's 90's. The article mentions DM's which TBH aren't really mod more scooterboy/girl but I can let that slip as I suppose you could argue for it . I generally wore desert boots until I went scooterboy then the DM's were my daily kickers.

Getting in to the Mod scene got me in to scooters and so for that I am thankful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(subculture)
Hooked
59" Allstate
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:17 am quote
Good story - thanks for posting it.
Hooked
Vespa PX 125 Settantesimo
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:33 am quote
fake
No self-respecting mod would have a top box
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:40 am quote
OK, I knew what they were, after all. That woman didn't remind of such people.
Desert boots were popular for many years in the USA, not that I qualified as a "mod", but I liked them. Only gum rubber I own now is used to clean my sanding belts.
I had to google "creche supervisor"!
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:22 pm quote
Why not winklepickers?
Ossessionato
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:39 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
Why not winklepickers?
Slippery souls.... terrible for scooters and putting your feet down as they were slippery. The crepe souls of the Clarkes just worked better. I had girlfriends that wore pointier fancier shoes though.

I was never all that hardcore and went to scooterboy after not too long. The ska scene was also was bigger where I hung out. The revival was also a fair bit different in fashion that the original scene, at least in North America.
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:42 pm quote
No exposure to any of this whatsoever. Grew up on military bases, out of the country, and in Texas. No mod scene, no scooters, no nuthin',
Molto Verboso
GTS 300 SS.
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:14 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
. I generally wore desert boots until I went scooterboy then the DM's were my daily kickers.
Desert boots with ripple sole were worn by rebellious youth during my rebellious youth days.

33_4046_a.png.jpg

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:18 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Why not winklepickers?
Slippery souls.... terrible for scooters and putting your feet down as they were slippery. The crepe souls of the Clarkes just worked better. I had girlfriends that wore pointier fancier shoes though.

I was never all that hardcore and went to scooterboy after not too long. The ska scene was also was bigger where I hung out. The revival was also a fair bit different in fashion that the original scene, at least in North America.
Yeah, it was the ska thing that rocked our Bay Area high school world c. 80-82, (along with punk). But there were a couple Brits at our school in that scene who were into The Jam. Come to think of it, tho, that, fashion and watching Quadrophenia were pretty much all that marked the Mod "revival".

Gotta say a lot of that music has held up pretty well in my lil brain: The Specials and English Beat put out some timeless, brilliant early albums, and with the advent of remastered albums and decent headphones I've come to appreciate The Jam more than ever. Chalk some of that up to nostalgia, of course, but it was really also intelligent, witty, well conceived music, imho.

And awesome party music -- when I moved to Idaho in '84 I couldn't believe people didn't dance at parties and concerts. Still can't believe it!

Damn we looked good. Spring of '82. (Second dude from the left is the friend who lost his place to the Paradise fire. My gorgeous British girlfriend with her back to the camera -- that accent destroyed me! )

1930710_73062355715_7618_n.jpg
"In the city there's a thousand things I wanna say to you, but whenever I approach you, you make me look a fool...."

Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:15 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
The article mentions DM's which TBH aren't really mod more scooterboy/girl but I can let that slip as I suppose you could argue for
Doc Marteens ? Otherwise know as "bover boots" (bother boots for US speakers) Ex Vietnam war style parakas to keep the weather off.

MODS were London, Chelsea, types but we all bought clothes from Carnaby street

Supposed to be historical but at the time it was just normal!
Hooked
Vespa PX 125 Settantesimo
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:56 am quote
it's complex
The closest thing to come after mods were casuals around the 80s, well at least in London where I grew up. I don't think this sub-culture crossed the pond because of its close connection to football. Mods and casuals shared a similar taste for expensive clothing and looking good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_(subculture)
Ossessionato
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:10 am quote
Re: it's complex
johnymoore wrote:
The closest thing to come after mods were casuals around the 80s, well at least in London where I grew up. I don't think this sub-culture crossed the pond because of its close connection to football. Mods and casuals shared a similar taste for expensive clothing and looking good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_(subculture)
Well put. Yes it is pretty complex and the 80's revival was certainly different in many ways. For instance The Jam were very different than what would be considered the original Mod bands. Just like The Specials and Madness were quite different than say The Skatalites. The music and dress were similar but like anything that sees a revive the differences were tangible. I consider myself lucky to have been pretty involved in the scene and got to meet and hang out with a lot of the ska bands from that era. Even then bands like The Bosstones were a fair bit different than the bands from the 2-tone movement. They were all cool guys and had a blast with The Bosstones as they were Lammie guys and when I met them I had a Lambretta patch on my flight jacket which started the conversation.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 1.0421s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0867s) ][ Debug on ]