Low Miles Vespas
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
None yet
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:06 pm quote
I recently bought my first Vespa. I haven't taken delivery yet, and will post a picture when I do (2019 GTS 300 Super). When I was shopping for Vespas, something really struck me about odometer readings. I know many people on MV drive the daylights out of their scoots. That's why I was surprised to see what seemed like LOTS of used Vespas with almost no miles on them. Like....5 year old scoots with 500 miles on them. How in the world does this happen? Do lots of people decide scooters just aren't for them after they've made their purchase? It just seems like there are a lot of Vespas sitting idle. What gives?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:24 pm quote
Probably beyond the comprehension of most of us here.

I'm guessing a variety of reasons.....they find it intimidating after some negative experience, i.e close encounter with a cage, or finding their skill levels challenged. For others, I suppose they don't get the same thrill of riding, and the novelty wears off, scooter sits for a while and gets sold.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:41 pm quote
The folks here are enthusiasts. We like to ride.

This "low mileage phenomenon" isn't just for Vespas - not unusual for first time motorcycles riders to buy a large cruiser and find out it isn't for them. And, there are those who ride the heck out of them.

As a Harley rider and I once agreed: Harley is to motorcycles as Vespa is to scooters. There is a mystique. Some want to buy into that mystique without understanding what all goes into riding... then it becomes a garage queen.

Earlier this year, I bought a 2009 GTS with 1438 miles on it. Stored inside, annual service...but neither of the first two owners were enthusiasts. I have since put an additional 4,000 or so miles on it.

Hope you enjoy the heck out of your new scoot!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:51 pm quote
Captain Jim wrote:
The folks here are enthusiasts
As a Harley rider and I once agreed: Harley is to motorcycles as Vespa is to scooters. There is a mystique. Some want to buy into that mystique without understanding what all goes into riding.
Pretty good point there. A lot of mystique-promoting with Vespa's advertising. They look cool, there's a cool history. I do wonder, though if the phenomenon carries over to scooters like the BV or even MP3s.

Possible too for some could be the gradual realization that it's not too wise to hop on with shorts and flip flops, and giving up after realizing the effort and cost going into being more secure..... It was a journey for me-the more aware I became of risks, the more I felt I needed to up my game. I was willing to do that without reservation, because it was worth it for me. But perhaps not everyone.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:20 pm quote
Many inexperienced riders, or non-riders, buy scooters thinking they will enjoy them. Some find the scooter intimidating or riding just doesn't appeal to them. It goes in the garage with only a few miles on it and then is sold later. Of course, many people take right to it and wouldn't let their scooter go for anything, but these low mileage scooters on the market show that this does happen a fair amount.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:42 pm quote
Many Americans are better at consuming than they are at experiencing.
Ossessionato
GTV
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:53 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
HAH!! In many cases, I've been one of those "consumers" but not from lack fo trying everything that remotely interested me. Mostly from lack of time. But not in the case of my Vespa! I never have time to ride it as much as I'd like. Over the last 9+ years, I only ride about 2K mies per year.

Best
Miguel
Molto Verboso
2014 Commuter BV350(34,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(9,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(28,000)
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:01 am quote
Re: Low Miles Vespas
WiscScoot wrote:
I recently bought my first Vespa. I haven't taken delivery yet, and will post a picture when I do (2019 GTS 300 Super). When I was shopping for Vespas, something really struck me about odometer readings. I know many people on MV drive the daylights out of their scoots. That's why I was surprised to see what seemed like LOTS of used Vespas with almost no miles on them. Like....5 year old scoots with 500 miles on them. How in the world does this happen? Do lots of people decide scooters just aren't for them after they've made their purchase? It just seems like there are a lot of Vespas sitting idle. What gives?
Try to find a low mileage Vespa when gas breaks $5 a gallon. Probably not too many low mileage Vespa's in Ca. with lane splitting.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:58 am quote
IMO, it's not a brand thing, as like tdrake says, it's a buy one thing in a consumer society.
ebay is full of garage queen MC's, scooters and boats of many brands.
Then you have some folks like me who actually knows how to fish, likes to fish, yet buys a bass boat and finds there only time for so many hobbies...
There are lot's of people who retire and buy this or that toy or tool then realizing it's not what they thought and there it sits. I am a lifelong wood worker and see tools all the time on ebay that never got used. Often for sale by the widow or children of the non-user. Not that uncommon to see a PTW for sale on ebay by a friend of the diseased. I saw a nice garaged, 1970's BMW R75/5 on there yesterday being sold for the estate by a friend. it had low miles such that the owner probably bought it near the end of their riding time. Cold happen to me or especially to anyone who's a senior rider?
There are gear freaks too, who buy enough sleeping bags or tents for a whole scout troop, then ebay them off now and then-go figure on that one while your asking how these scoots show up with hardly any miles...
I made an offer in Sept/2018 on a 2016 Vespa GTS and talked to the owner in GA who kept it at his 2nd home in Knoxville-had 400 miles and far from the first Vespa I'd seen like that. In fact pairs of various branded scooters & MC's come up on ebay & CL for sale every year with low miles.
Fairly common is the ebay ad stating the owners wife "told them it had to go, or they go". Not how I live my life but stuff happens.
Like tdrake suggests, this is very unlikely to happen in 3rd world countries.
I remember a couple of years ago when gas was over $4 in USA and I didn't see any more scooters then than now? In fact we were on the road a lot at that time and living our life like gas was cheap and bitchin about the price too.
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:39 am quote
tdrake wrote:
Exactly. That's part of what got us into this recent kettle of fish.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:40 am quote
tdrake wrote:
Mirrors my observations on exercise equipment.
2014 LXV (Soon), 2017 Indian Springfield
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:27 am quote
My experience exactly. I just bought a 2014 LXV 150ie with 293 miles on it. It was bought new in 2016 as a leftover. My wife and I aren't likely to put a lot of miles on it but we'll at least do a thousand or so a year. I put about 6000 a year on my Indian just commuting.

Happy Friday!

Bill
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 250ie, Scarabeo 500ie, SportCity 250, BV 500, Buddy 125
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:12 am quote
It happens to a lot of PTW. I bought a less than year old Sports City 250 with 278 miles on ebay for roughly 60% of what the person selling paid for it new. He bought it for his wife, apparently without consulting her so that she could ride with him while he rode his Harley. She had no interest in riding and when she found out she was pregnant insisted he sell it to furnish a nursery.

I've been approached by people asking me how much a Vespa they had sitting in their garage was worth frequently after having bought it originally for "the wife". One said, his wife enjoyed riding a rented 50 on a Caribbean island so he bought her a 250. First time she twisted a throttle and jumped up to 50mph it scared her so bad she never got on it again.

Others fall in love with the idea of a Vespa, a Harley or some other PTW often without any riding experience or even taking an MSF class. So they get scared or whatever and simply don't ride it. The number of people who think that a scooter that goes over 50mph is "just like riding a bicycle", something they haven't done since they got their first car then are shocked at the differences is amazing. Instead of doing the sensible thing and taking an MSF course they let it sit in the garage, maybe taking it out occasionally to clean and polish or go get a cup of coffee but then wonder why when they go to sell it years later it has depreciated considerably. After all it is "practically brand new". The aforementioned guy who bought his wife a 250 was shocked to find out that his 8 year old "new" scooter wasn't worth more than one with 30,000 miles on it aka about 3035% of what he paid for it.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:56 am quote
A lot of them have minor scratches on one side from the original purchaser dropping it once, and others were given as gifts to people who really didn't want one.
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax, 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:47 pm quote
Those who don't ride them are truly missing out on a lot of fun.

But I understand a little.

My wife shown no interested in riding except on the back on the Europe trips.

And Napa last month.

I bought a 2005 GT in February 2015 with a relatively high 6147 miles on it.

Now at 28,000+.

Running great at the moment.

Bill
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:58 pm quote
For many, I think PTW's are an impulse purchase. They buy, try, and get bored or find that other associated peripherals (safety equipment, maintenance, etc.), weight them down and they move on.

Others may think of a scooter or MC as "cool" and that's the only reason they buy. Once the cool factor wears off, they too move on.

Yet others are intimidated BEFORE they buy and buy too small. Within a short period ot time they "outgrow" their purchase and move on to something bigger (or a different style of PTW), leaving the other to set and get few if any miles.

The moral of the story (if you are a buyer) is, that unless you just have to have something new, there are a heck of a lot of good used deals out there, and if your one dream PTW gets away, there will always be another coming along shortly.
Addicted
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:48 pm quote
Also, I think that people don't realize all the costs that go along with a scooter: helmet, gloves, jacket and a myriad of other items.
Addicted
GTS250
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:31 am quote
Re: Low Miles Vespas
breaknwind wrote:
to find a low mileage Vespa when gas breaks $5 a gallon. Probably not too many low mileage Vespa's in Ca. with lane splitting.
Yup...60K on my GTS and to the front at every light/
Molto Verboso
GTS 250
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:18 am quote
Some people buy a Vespa, they ride it, then an illness hits, they can't ride anymore for a (more or less) extended period of time, so the Vespa sits in the garage sometimes for months or even years ... hoping that some day they might ride again.

There can be all sorts of scenarios and different reasons for low mileage counts ...

Salima
Hooked
Vespa PX 125 Settantesimo
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:02 am quote
space
I think in most parts of the US you have the space to have multiple bikes sitting about in large garages. More rely on their bikes as a daily transport in Europe also.
Hooked
2006 LX 50
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:02 pm quote
I bought mine from a tree hugger who bought a new Vespa hoping to save the world from global warming. 10 years later I picked up a dusty and slightly rusty LX 50 with 600 miles for $1,200. 1/2 hour after unloading from my truck it looked and rode like new.

I would buy another 10 year old low mileage Vespa any day.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2716s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0437s) ][ Debug on ]