Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
cdwise wrote:
For fogging if you don't have a pin lock check ski shops for the stuff they put on ski goggles to keep them from fogging up.
Cat crap is good!
You've got to wonder how they make that stuff.
Divers use dish soap, brand doesn't matter, in my experience on any googles, mask or visor. With my helmet I use the back of my gloved hand.

Being a weenie is often the smarter choice? when it comes to ice on roadways.

I use glove liners year round as they wick sweat and they isolate vibrations too, which really matters when you have CTS hands and want to preserve what you have left. I prefer silk for liners and balaclava but polypropylene wicking fabrics work well too and bit easier to buy at Dick's, etc..
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I rode into work today, then ten+ miles to visit a client at their house.

It was 44 F on the way back to work.

I wish I had left the liner in my Alpinestars jacket.

Bill
@preddybaer avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300, CRF1000 & Moto 6.5

Hooked
@preddybaer avatar
GTS300, CRF1000 & Moto 6.5
UTC quote
Re: OK, so I am a weenie
Kantuckid wrote:
...Divers use dish soap...
ehm, swimmers use same thing as divers, it's just not the dish soap

both spit on the inner glass, smear with fingers and then shortly wash with pool or sea water (in which swimming or diving)

Nerd emoticon
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
You can also get both neoprene and silicone sleeves to go over brake levers. The silicone ones come in a bunch of different colors too. Maybe I'll consider getting some red ones for Steve's Vespa.
https://www.amazon.com/JooFn-Anti-Slip-Silicone-Universal-Protection/dp/B077VQ4WBR/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544448433&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=neoprene+brake+lever+cover&psc=1
Thanks! Think I'll pick some up.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Got my Cat Crap Gotta love Amazon Prime.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR (sold), BV 350 ABS/ASR (crashed)

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
I am with you, I don't ride below 45 degrees, don't ride at night and don't ride in the rain...
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Heading to Daytona for my first sit on a Tmax. 50 deg. leaving, 65 deg. returning. I'll be checking out the ocean view riding the A1A. My riding limit is <40 deg. but I've ridden below freezing before.
Tmax 530, that's a nice bike. A big boy bike, send photos if you decide to buy it...
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Riding in winter is no different than skiing. Long undies, good face protection, gloves, and a full face helmet give you exactly the warmth you need to ride. It's not a big deal. I ride all winter long and never blink an eye.

Toughen up!!
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Paddlenround wrote:
Riding in winter is no different than skiing. Long undies, good face protection, gloves, and a full face helmet give you exactly the warmth you need to ride. It's not a big deal. I ride all winter long and never blink an eye.

Toughen up!!
Bravo sir. Actually I see it more like snowmobiling but same point. However some people prefer not to and that is of course their prerogative. Riding is my mental therapy and unless there is ice on the road I will ride.

Quick Cat Crap review. Just rode about 30 minutes in 2C weather. Better than the spray I have been using but still had to lift my visor up at a few stops. Might try applying a bit more to see how that goes. Seems like a good product though.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
The basic difference I see in a discussion of skiing vs. riding PTW's on pavement in the winter is that most obviously it's not about the clothing, it's that skis need to slide whereas PTW's do not!!!
Hypothermia vs. staying warm & alive- I get that.
Almost a no-brainer discussion huh? As in being dead vs. having fun.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
The basic difference I see in a discussion of skiing vs. riding PTW's on pavement in the winter is that most obviously it's not about the clothing, it's that skis need to slide whereas PTW's do not!!!
Hypothermia vs. staying warm & alive- I get that.
Almost a no-brainer discussion huh? As in being dead vs. having fun.
Actually the roads here are bone dry in the winter and they make winter tires for PTW's that provide better grip on cold pavement. There really is very little risk provided you are dressed warm. On days there is snow or ice on the road I will not ride however there aren't very many of those days.

*EDIT* Here is one picture of Montreal in February and another of Toronto. There is a difference
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I have mostly always lived (KS & KY) where winters bring snow-more or less.
I find myself to be somewhat of an expert on winter with cold and all it's goodies.
The roads here are dry now too but driveways dump moisture onto pavement which freezes and kills as does black ice. It's not real safe here to ride in winter even when it might not have snowed in weeks.
"OK, so I'm no weenie" is my way of saying this, but I am also no fool when it comes to choosing when and where to ride.
Whew.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
I have mostly always lived (KS & KY) where winters bring snow-more or less.
I find myself to be somewhat of an expert on winter with cold and all it's goodies.
The roads here are dry now too but driveways dump moisture onto pavement which freezes and kills as does black ice. It's not real safe here to ride in winter even when it might not have snowed in weeks.
"OK, so I'm no weenie" is my way of saying this, but I am also no fool when it comes to choosing when and where to ride.
Whew.
Nothing wrong with being a "weenie" and I don't see it like that. It's simply a choice. I live right in the downtown core of Toronto so there are very few driveways and so much traffic that any ice gets crushed under tires. Maybe if I lived in a less densely populated area I'd feel differently about it. I have hit ice before and the traction control on the new bikes is really something. By the time you feel it kick in you are back on dry pavement. The Vespa is also so light and easy to control it would take a lot for me to drop it. I'm also the same idjuit that will go 100 mph on a Vespa so there is that.

So let's agree to more or less disagree and that's all good. I'm also not worried about being dinged with negative karma for disagreeing as there has sort of been a dialogue regarding that here and I believe the consensus is it's OK to disagree as long as we are all adults. I'm not saying in any way you would have done that anyway.
@spuds avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 BV 350, 2016 300 GTS Super Sport, 2016 150 LXV

Hooked
@spuds avatar
2019 BV 350, 2016 300 GTS Super Sport, 2016 150 LXV
UTC quote
If it's below 60°F, I don't generally ride.

In Houston, it usually will return to above 60° in a few days, so I'll just wait till it gets warm again. Even with that limit, I still get to ride year round.
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
I would ride down to lows 40s, high 30s. I got some cold weather under garment from my favorite outdoor shop, Sierra Trading Post. They are thin yet effective so I don't have to carry the bulk.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
I'm not hearing any disagreement in this discussion - just folks expressing their personal preferences.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
I'm not hearing any disagreement in this discussion - just folks expressing their personal preferences.
Just wait I am working on something really egregious to say 8)
@bionicrocky avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2020 Vespa GTS HPE 300 Touring, Verde Bosco, Akrapovic, Uprgaded Whistler Wheel, Vespa 36L Top Case, Euro turn indicators. Stock 1962 VBB1.

Enthusiast
@bionicrocky avatar
2020 Vespa GTS HPE 300 Touring, Verde Bosco, Akrapovic, Uprgaded Whistler Wheel, Vespa 36L Top Case, Euro turn indicators. Stock 1962 VBB1.
UTC quote
I love riding when it's cold. I wear Columbia wool socks, Duofold thermal underwear, jeans, and Bilt rain pants, then a balaklava, Columbia thermal shirt under a t-shirt, then a liner from a Columbia 3-in-1 , https://www.columbia.com/mens-horizons-pine-interchange-jacket-1625221.html?cgid=men-jacketsVests-interchange&dwvar_1625221_variationColor=213#start=14, a Speed and Steel Armored shop jacket, then Bilt winter gloves and a gator.

Takes a while to get buttoned up, but worth it.
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
Riding in cold weather is great, the 'looks' I get from people. *Am I wearing my skivvies on the outside?*

I layer up, silk longies under fleece lined jeans, wool socks & sweater, wind pants, etc & etc...
Yes, it takes a bit extra time to gear up but the riding is worth it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0957s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0663s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]