Talk about daily respectable pictures here thread
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:10 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Hey probably another tub as well. Life's been stressful lately and it helps a lot. I'm thinking Band of Brothers in the tub.
I dunno, I thought your wife was fine...I think you might reach some sort of capacity limit there.

But seriously, glad it works for you....de-stressing is a great thing.

BTW, quite the nice arsenal there....
Ossessionato
GTV
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:39 pm quote
Here's how I use Karma: When someone replies to a post that offers info I think is helpful but its a controversial point or there are diverging opinions, I use karma to help guide me to the more trustworthy posters. For example, whenever I see a post from highly valued members with high Karma, such Stromrider or Jim C or Greasy125, it immediately grabs my attention and I value their opinion above most others. I largely click positive to posters rather than negative because its more important to recognize generally helpful members, such as RRider and ignore the negative posters. There are MANY examples both .

Here's another member profile, not randomly selected: It's me!
Cheers! Miguel

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 7.25.01 PM.png

Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:06 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Until then all I can offer is a pic of some of the tools of the trade.
Nice handicraft you have there!

What's with the rule that 3 good knives is enough for a chef...?

This reminds me how things change - in Finland, we have a long tradition for making hunting knives and especially carving knives. During, say the last 10 years, many of the artisans have added chef knives to their selection - both being a lot about the skill of forging steel and also the business for other knives going down.

Reminds me also of another thing - about a year ago a group of Finnish chefs tested knives from various manufacturers. They all made the same dish, that required a lot of cutting of various incredients. All of these chefs definitely had normally their "3 favourite personal Japanese knives" that they work with daily. A big surprise was that a mass produced chef knife by Ikea, price 12 EUR, was among the best for general performance and usability!

But still, buying a new Ikea knife once a month vs. having something like you do....no match.

image.jpeg
My carving knife. Not that I actually carve that much....

Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 am quote
Thatís a beautiful carving knife. I love a good knife and it makes a huge difference. An IKEA knife brand new will work fine but as you pointed out wonít last. My knives will eventually go to someone in my will and hopefully be used for another generation. 3 knives for a chef? Nah... I have another block of Henckel twins on top of that collection. My Le Creuset and Staub pots and pans will also be handed down to another generation someday. Good quality cooking tools last a long long time if cared for. They are also simply beautiful works of craftsmanship.

This is a much more pleasant interaction than talking about karma and who gets along with who
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:31 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
3 knives for a chef? Nah...
I'll politely disagree....Three is all I need on most days. And yes, I worked as a chef for a while.

Me? I don't really like a chef's knife, it seems too heavy for me. OTOH, my wife (and my partner in our professional chef days) loves a 10" chef's knife. I'm more of a santoku guy.

So that one, plus a bread knife and maybe a medium sized paring knife and I'm set for most things I need to do in the kitchen. Everything else seems like a uni-tasker to me. Not that I don't use a serrated tomato knife now and then, but the big three and I'm set.
Ossessionato
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 am quote
Larrytsg wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
3 knives for a chef? Nah...
I'll politely disagree....Three is all I need on most days. And yes, I worked as a chef for a while.

Me? I don't really like a chef's knife, it seems too heavy for me. OTOH, my wife (and my partner in our professional chef days) loves a 10" chef's knife. I'm more of a santoku guy.

So that one, plus a bread knife and maybe a medium sized paring knife and I'm set for most things I need to do in the kitchen. Everything else seems like a uni-tasker to me. Not that I don't use a serrated tomato knife now and then, but the big three and I'm set.
For sure you can get by with only a few knives. I also see them as works of art and like having a little collection. I also have 2 scoots but could get by with just one.

Iím also sure youíre a much better chef than me . Iím a complete amateur hack and cooking is just a distraction and something I enjoy doing. Iíd love to have the skills of a professional chef and admire those that do.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:19 am quote
Don't flatter me... I'm self taught. Or more accurately, my wife taught me what I needed to know.

Maybe the bigger part of it is a change in my personality, knowing I can live with less, and my yearning to collect in the past has lead to a house bursting at the seams with stuff "we had to have". With the prospect of moving looming over me (and my residence in this house for over half of my life), I see almost everything as expendable, duplicate, or unnecessary.
Ossessionato
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 pm quote
I'm the opposite in some ways. Live in a condo so only 1,200 SQ FT in the indoors portion so can only accumulate so much. When we semi-retire and leave the city it'll be to a house on a lake that should be much bigger.

We did have a hell of a time moving her parents out of the big house and in to a retirement condo. It was really hard on my wife and brother-in-law and father-in-law. Her dad wound up so frustrated he just started throwing things out included valuable stuff. By the time they realized of course goodwill had already sold everything. I'm also sure the people that works at goodwill grab the good stuff. It was really sad and very hard on all involved.
Ossessionato
2010 BV TOURER 500ie
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:20 am quote
Larrytsg wrote:
Don't flatter me... I'm self taught. Or more accurately, my wife taught me what I needed to know.

Maybe the bigger part of it is a change in my personality, knowing I can live with less, and my yearning to collect in the past has lead to a house bursting at the seams with stuff "we had to have". With the prospect of moving looming over me (and my residence in this house for over half of my life), I see almost everything as expendable, duplicate, or unnecessary.
O.K., no flattery.

Just trying to keep the thread alive.

It's been three days
Ossessionato
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:43 am quote
Gotta sat Znomit did a good Job with Tuesday's girl, very pretty. Mind you it's only Monday morning 😕
Ossessionato
2010 BV TOURER 500ie
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:51 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Gotta sat Znomit did a good Job with Tuesday's girl, very pretty. Mind you it's only Monday morning 😕
Maybe her name?
Ossessionato
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:56 am quote
EN82pg wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Maybe her name?
That was my thought as well 🤔
Ossessionato
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:42 am quote
Well I did it... one more for the collection Cheaper than another scooter...

I know it's good quality because I cut myself with it the first time I used it. It's the knives that demand respect that are usually my favourites

I figure this is as good a thread as any to post this in... plus as usual it's a bit slow around here this time of year.

IMG_1671.jpeg

Ossessionato
2010 BV TOURER 500ie
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:01 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Well I did it... one more for the collection Cheaper than another scooter...

I know it's good quality because I cut myself with it the first time I used it. It's the knives that demand respect that are usually my favourites

I figure this is as good a thread as any to post this in... plus as usual it's a bit slow around here this time of year.
Wow. Looks like you could hack down a tree with that baby.
That was the only type of cutter my wife would use when she was alive. She was a J.A. Henckels fan for her kitchen tools.
Me, different story. Whatever cuts, I use.
Now that she's gone, most of my cooking is done at M & M Food Market.
Just heat and eat.
But, I do the veggies myself and they're usually fresh.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:43 am quote
Harbinger wrote:

How these relationships typically begin.....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:52 am quote
Good rule of thumb, don't post it if you wouldn't open it on a work computer.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:49 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Perhaps that depends on where you work . Znomit's recent bikini post attracted a lot of positive attention, but I wouldn't open it where I work.
Ossessionato
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:29 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

How these relationships typically begin.....
Ain't that the truth . Seems I have a thing for Japanese and German ladies if you look at my culinary knife collection....

Wife bought me a Sous Vide for Christmas now I have to figure that out :-\

Yes, Larry... another gadget
Ossessionato
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:57 am quote
northernerbill wrote:
Whatís amazing is now you have a portal to vent on the pictures thread, your all talking about bubble bath and curry.

No mention of your opinions on the pictures.

Crazy world
It sure is.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:29 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
northernerbill wrote:
Whatís amazing is now you have a portal to vent on the pictures thread, your all talking about bubble bath and curry.

Crazy world
It sure is.
Anybody who finds this curious hasn't been on MV long enough.
Ossessionato
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:52 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
northernerbill wrote:

Crazy world
It sure is.
Anybody who finds this curious hasn't been on MV long enough.
I SWEAR I commented on one of the girls being pretty at least once in this thread. Not in a leering old man (not that old really. I mean it's all relative, right?) kind of way but you know... in the just saying she's pretty kind of way.

HOWEVER this thread has gone of the rails as many do here on MV. We have more derailments than Amtrak. For you serious folks that feel "this is a serious site about Vespas and scootering and this tomfoolery upsets me" I say well yeah it is and can be. The posts that ask real technical questions tend to stay on point as do the threads that pose real questions. Often these posts are made by people that ONLY created an account because they need help and can't find it elsewhere. Some of them stick around and become part of the community, most don't. This IS a great community and I feel there is a core of some of us that do stick together and have even in my short time gotten together to help out fellow MVers be it financially or in other ways. How many web forums do you see that in?

So if you want only the serious posts about scootering and Vespas it's all here for you. Some of us want to simply have fun AND have the serious stuff when we need it. There are regulars and old timers that just stay away from the more "silly" stuff and post when it relates to them. I like this community and also do contribute to the more serious part of scootering.

The rule here is if it's too political stay out of it especially if it involves anything with a trigger. I can respect that and realize that lines are occasionally crossed and when that happens it gets stopped. There have been very few things the mods have done here I disagree with and that's a pretty good track record.

We all for the most part get along and when you consider Piaggio runs the gamut from the little 50cc scoots to the MP3's, modified large frame Vespas and hell folks that don't even own anything that has a zed anywhere in the VIN number I think we do a good job of getting along.

Why am I writing all this? Actually I've been distracted IRL too many time to remember now! I need to go look up sous vide cooking. I picked up some Mennonite turkey today and need to figure it out by tomorrow.... I bought an extra turkey breast just in case I screw up

To all you Yanks, I apologize for the zed :-p
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:05 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
I need to go look up sous vide cooking.
Boiled eggs are amazing, and I can do 20 burgers as fast as people can plate them without worrying if they're cooked or not.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:08 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Perhaps that depends on where you work . Znomit's recent bikini post attracted a lot of positive attention, but I wouldn't open it where I work.
Absolutely depends on where one works. At an auto body shop, I'm sure anything would be OK. I work at a school. Even though there's some serious filters to keep the youngins on the right path, if I'm on my personal account, I won't open anything even if I think it's something OK.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
If you grill, look up reserver sear.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:36 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
As long as ass cheeks are not in your face and no nudity I can get away with at work.
A picture that you would not mind your mother seeing hanging on the wall of your man cave Even though she may roll her eyes.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:06 am quote

That's an art I've never practiced. Will be interesting to hear your experiences...
Ossessionato
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:18 am quote
So far I have cooked a turkey breast, stuffing and squash in the sous vide. For a first attempt with a new cooking medium I have to say I am impressed. The stuffing was the biggest surprise and turned out moist and full of flavour which I have never really had much much with before. My wife is a vegetarian so it's rare I cook anything with a large enough cavity to cook a decent amount of stuffing and this method worked great.

The turkey was perfect! About 4 hours in the souse vide and a little oven time. Cooked all the way through and not dry at all.

Squash - awesome! Simple to toss it cubed up in to a bag with some herbs and a quality olive oil and an hour and a half later, perfect.

So while it is not the quickest way to cook anything it is forgiving and flavours are given time to develop. I was always a bit skeptical of it as it seemed like just a trend. My mind has since changed and it will get regular use. One big advantage I didn't really consider is how clean it is. After the prep work is done there is no more mess. So it's simply a matter of immersing the food and cleaning up after prep. Plenty of time to clean the kitchen while it cooks and there is no clean up after such as pots and pans. I love cooking and have a busy life so not having to clean up at night or in the morning before going to the office is great. First world problem but always a real pain on days our cleaning service show up as my wife insists the kitchen be clean... yeah I know weird... I mean I figure isn't it their job? Explain that to my wife though :-\
Ossessionato
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:18 am quote
A bit slow around here but I believe someone mentioned bubble bath?

Dinner is left overs, hot turkey sammie with St Hubert gravy. Yum!

IMG_1681.jpeg

Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:05 am quote
OldSchooot wrote:
That's an old photo. See the VWs......incl. the oval VW!
O.S.
Is it an old photo? The quality of the image makes it look like it came from a modern film still. All the vehicles in the picture look pristine as do the people. Even the bus looks immaculate. It just doesn't look like an image from real life. Obviously the VW doesn't have an oval window but every other aspect of the photo tells me it's a modern photo of a period piece.

PS would you guys mind not putting pictures of knives on here. It's just I live in a city where kids seem to think it's now normal to carry a knife. Roughly 300 teenagers were stabbed to death in my city alone last year. There were 40000 assaults with knives. The more often we have pictures of our "favourite knife" on the internet, the more normal these kids seem to think it is to carry one. Just saying...
Ossessionato
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:57 am quote
You realize these are culinary knives and not street knives? Hell I lived in downtown Detroit and now live in Downtown Toronto. I live in one of the best neighbourhoods and have had at least 3 killings in the last year blocks from me, hell one a street over. Let's just say the weapon of choice does not have a blade. The neighbourhood goes through a transformation when all the clubs open at night...

Anyway I don't think there will be any more pictures so don't worry there.
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:56 am quote
Appreciated.
Addicted
lx 50
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:07 am quote
In the UK street knives are illegal so carrying a kitchen style knife is the same thing.......point being I bet not all those stabbings where with street style ones.

Next point is, this thread is for US to talk about the pictures thread so the pictures thread doesnít fill up with text, but as ever people are determined to derail by side tracking with utter nonsense, and yes I get it thatís what makes a forum great buts itís also annoying for both threads, as people continue to natter on inside the picture thread and donít use this one cause they think they read the title wrong and itís about curry and kitchen utensils.

You guys.....
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:08 am quote
northernerbill wrote:
In the UK street knives are illegal so carrying a kitchen style knife is the same thing.......point being I bet not all those stabbings where with street style ones.

Next point is, this thread is for US to talk about the pictures thread so the pictures thread doesnít fill up with text, but as ever people are determined to derail by side tracking with utter nonsense, and yes I get it thatís what makes a forum great buts itís also annoying for both threads, as people continue to natter on inside the picture thread and donít use this one cause they think they read the title wrong and itís about curry and kitchen utensils.

You guys.....
Good luck herding us cats!
Ossessionato
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:27 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
northernerbill wrote:

You guys.....
I think the Brits are just crabby about losing their colonies

Ironically this is the view out of one of my second floor windows. Hard to make out maybe but that is a Union Jack and huge American flag on the side of a building. No sign of Canada anywhere. The park was the graveyard for Fort York ( a block away ) and the soldiers that died in the war of 1812. The huge American flag is on the side of the Nygard office and fun fact that during the G20 summit ( a few blocks east ) it was covered up with a generic advert and all the landscaping stones there and at our complex were trucked away before the summit and brought back after.

OK, now I will leave this thread alone beyond talking about the girlie thread. I'm pretty sure the cats will not be wrangled over here and will continue to post there. I could be wrong and I'm sure this thread was created with the best intentions however once a thread scrolls of the recent posts page it generally just disappears.

IMG_1689.jpeg

Addicted
lx 50
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
northernerbill wrote:

You guys.....

Ironically this is the view out of one of my second floor windows. Hard to make out maybe but that is a Union Jack and huge American flag on the side of a building. No sign of Canada anywhere. The park was the graveyard for Fort York ( a block away ) and the soldiers that died in the war of 1812. The huge American flag is on the side of the Nygard office and fun fact that during the G20 summit ( a few blocks east ) it was covered up with a generic advert and all the landscaping stones there and at our complex were trucked away before the summit and brought back after.

OK, now I will leave this thread alone beyond talking about the girlie thread. I'm pretty sure the cats will not be wrangled over here and will continue to post there. I could be wrong and I'm sure this thread was created with the best intentions however once a thread scrolls of the recent posts page it generally just disappears.
Honestly Iím really pleased you wasted 30 mins concocting that retort.

Pointless to everyone but you and a few who will surely pipe up after my retort. But if this keeps you from writing on a picture thread then keep going!!!

PS Empire? Really?
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:17 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
northernerbill wrote:

You guys.....

Cool view.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:41 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
If you grill, look up reserver sear.
I think you mean "Reverse Sear" where the meat is cooked at LOW temperature
and then seared on HIGH heat immediately before serving.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 am quote
northernerbill wrote:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr guys come on 25-9 chat as opposed to pictures on this page alone.

I donít care about your Triumph quips or anything else.

Go chat on the ďchat about pictures threadĒ thatís why You created it so you could woffle on as much as you like without Ruining the pictures thread.

For the love of god.

Now comes the obvious sarcastic retorts......spare us or put them on the that thread mentioned!!!
Okay, I'll play by posting here as you ask. For starters, AFAIK it was YOU who initiated this thread, not those hypothetical other guys you apparently refer to in your post. Have you actually forgotten that or what? And on to content - no sarcasm here - what is this about constantly complaining about discussing scooters or associated gear and PTWs on a scooter website? Isn't that what this website is for?
Addicted
lx 50
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 am quote
Yep I saw my typo of You instead of I sorry for that.
If I get to my computer Iíll amend it but on iPhone I canít.

But the point I ďpersonallyĒ make still stands even if the biggest retort is for a typo rather than something really valid.
Ossessionato
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:54 am quote
Just be careful about what you are waffling on about or you will be properly admonished for that. This site is what it is and we will all do what we want to do. That should be have fun and if it occasional scooters all the better. If people want to post words in the picture I am just fine with it. I think most of us are TBH which is what this thread hasn't taken off.

Bill you keep saying people are going to take digs at you but to be honest no one really has. The technical threads almost always stay that at least until the OP had been hoped. If things go off topic let them... There is a reason that [NSR] threads go in general with scooter related threads and that's because Jess wanted this is site to be more than just about scooters. Putting rules about how we all post seems to go against that.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
[ Time: 0.3527s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0493s) ][ Debug on ]