OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Something to consider if you are looking for small factor video camera. Very small, light, and with mechanical stabilization. Capable to record in 4K at 60fps. I don't think it will be very useful when riding with OP mounted on bike or helmet but for walking and recording videos it will be very handy.
https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket?vid=48141
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
I am very interested in this camera.

One issue is that required accessories don't seem to be available yet and without them it would have limited utility.

Why do you think it wouldn't perform well mounted on a bike?
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
David Masse wrote:
I am very interested in this camera.

One issue is that required accessories don't seem to be available yet and without them it would have limited utility.

Why do you think it wouldn't perform well mounted on a bike?
Hey Dave,

I have a bit of experience with bigger gimbals like FeiyuTech G6 Plus or Zhiyun Rider M and when mounted on the bike at speed over 50 kph the gimbal motors are not strong enough to stabilize camera and provide needed wind resistance. If you are looking for the action camera which will work on bikes the GoPro Hero 6/7 Black will do excellent job when mounted using chest harness. More important, Hero 6/7 have electronic stabilization so they are not affected by wind factor.

--jr
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
Thanks, I thought that might be the case.

The Hero 6-7 would definitely work. I don't like the fisheye distortion. Plus I would only use the Hero for riding sequences whereas the Osmo would serve many more uses. If it could perform on the bike at cruising speeds that would make it very compelling.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
review of the DJI Osmo
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Ken. The first peek I got of the Osmo was care of Casey Neistat. I've been looking into it since then.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I watched number of so call review and I'm usually very skeptical when reviewer gets device for free. If they want to keep getting those freebies they better have something nice to say about the product, Casey Neistat is no different. One thing which I experience using Hero 7 Black is the optical/electronic stabilization is not very good if camera is moved horizontally, left/right or right/left, this will generate choppy footage. Hero 7 Black stabilization works great when you are moving strait forward and only stabilization to take care of is vertical movements of camera. With mechanical stabilization this is not an issue.
In any case, I ordered OP at the begging of this month and will be able to tell more once it is in my hands.
BTW Dave, I had a pleasure to meet you on couple occasions at TMSC meetups/rides. The pictures below are from last year ride to Elmhirt's Resort:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
That is so cool. I remember that lunch very well.

I look forward to your Osmo review.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
ryjan wrote:
I watched number of so call review and I'm usually very skeptical when reviewer gets device for free. If they want to keep getting those freebies they better have something nice to say about the product,
That statement is some what true. However, when you are on the top of the heap and making millions off of youtube and you make commercial movies and clips for a living, I don't think you have to suck up to a supplier for a couple of hundred AMERICAN dollars (as opposed to those Canadian dollars) of free equipment.
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
lostboater wrote:
ryjan wrote:
I watched number of so call review and I'm usually very skeptical when reviewer gets device for free. If they want to keep getting those freebies they better have something nice to say about the product,
That statement is some what true. However, when you are on the top of the heap and making millions off of youtube and you make commercial movies and clips for a living, I don't think you have to suck up to a supplier for a couple of hundred AMERICAN dollars (as opposed to those Canadian dollars) of free equipment.
Ha ha ha Ken, Canadian dollars are just like American dollars, if American dollars were anemic.

Casey Neistat is (by his own admission) not a great tech reviewer. However he has a massive audience and I am sure that the supplier doesn't really care what he says as long as he features the product.

I love Casey Neistat because he is always entertaining, unfailingly polite, and he doesn't have lines in his videos like "... what you guys want to do, when you guys are shooting a video, and you guys want it to be in focus, is you guys should press autofocus which you guys will find on this button, which you guys can press while you guys are filming, because you guys..."
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
I came across this review where footage was shot while riding a BMW F800 at speeds equivalent to those at which I often shoot footage. The author states he was surprised how well the Osmo Pocket performed.

This takes me a little closer to wanting this camera.

OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Very promising, I really hope I can use this camera when riding my bikes. Problem is there is no way to mount it on the bike, at least not yet, you need a second person to do recording.
In any case, I ordered OP at the beginning of this month and according to tracking log it should arrive this Monday.
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
I'm not a (very) early adopter. I think this camera is going to be very popular. I'm planning to wait for the accessories to be available. One is a Hero-style mount, and a tripod mount. Without those it's not as compelling.

Let me know when you get it.

We could shoot a video
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
David Masse wrote:
I'm not a (very) early adopter. I think this camera is going to be very popular. I'm planning to wait for the accessories to be available. One is a Hero-style mount, and a tripod mount. Without those it's not as compelling.

We could shoot a video
According to DJI accessories will be available at end of this year. I ordered a very small tripod https://www.staples.ca/en/kenu-stance-compact-tripod-bottle-opener-for-usb-c-phones-st4-kk-na/product_2831892_1-CA_1_20001, looks like it will do good job when OP is attached to my phone. I just sold my FY FEIYUTECH Feiyu G6 Plus gimbal, it was big, heavy and needed balancing each time camera is installed on gimbal. Hoping OP will be good replacement.

I will let you know when OP arrives and we can get together so you have good look at it.
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
ryjan wrote:
David Masse wrote:

We could shoot a video
According to DJI accessories will be available at end of this year. I ordered a very small tripod https://www.staples.ca/en/kenu-stance-compact-tripod-bottle-opener-for-usb-c-phones-st4-kk-na/product_2831892_1-CA_1_20001, looks like it will do good job when OP is attached to my phone. I just sold my FY FEIYUTECH Feiyu G6 Plus gimbal, it was big, heavy and needed balancing each time camera is installed on gimbal. Hoping OP will be good replacement.

I will let you know when OP arrives and we can get together so you have good look at it.
Send me a PM and let me know when it becomes convenient.

Best wishes for the holidays!
@ducatiterminator avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4

Hooked
@ducatiterminator avatar
ET4
UTC quote
I have an Osmo+... neat unit, but I think it needs a better camera (though it's definitely an improvement over the Osmo). I'll likely pick up a Freefly Movi Cinema robot next:

https://gomovi.com/
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
Movi is interesting.

My primary vlogging camera is a top of the line iPod. It works well to capture video and audio.

What I am looking for is something that works well on and off the bike.

The iPod is useless on the bike. The Movi won't work on the bike either, and it's quite bulky.

My iPod setup fits snugly in a small Pelican case along with my Rode lavalier mic, and remote trigger. That plus my selfie stick/tripod is a great compact vlogging setup.

If the Osmo records decent audio with a lavalier, and the gimbal does its job for riding sequences, that will be a killer setup.
@ducatiterminator avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4

Hooked
@ducatiterminator avatar
ET4
UTC quote
The Osmo cameras need light. I have a series of small Manfrotto pocket LED lights with which I travel, but I prefer to use it outdoors. I have a small Rode VideoMic for the Osmo+ but have yet to use it with a lav mic (used with other cameras). Still working on a better bike rig -- GoPro for now, but toying with a small 1" mirrorless camera in a cage on a gimbal. I heard some decent rider audio in a video clip recently. My son was saying that the rider was using a feed off of one of the newer bike comm systems. Something I need to look into a little more closely.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I received my OSMO Pocket last Monday but busy at work and didn't have enough time to really play with it. It is very handy and easy to use but there are number of issues such as display too small for someone like me to use it. Even with my reading glasses I can hardly see what is on the screen. Phone attachment using USB-C adapter is not very secure. There are many reviews on YT so I won't try to repeat all the good and bad but in general it is great camera and will be great addition to my GoPro Hero 7 Black. Is it better then GoPro? I think it depends on the use. Walking around and taking videos / photos OP will be my choice but when I want to mount camera on my bike I will go with Hero 7.

This is the first clip I recorded next day after it was delivered:
Cheers
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1025s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0693s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]