MP3 with brake pedal - licensing
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 250, BigBeo
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:42 pm quote
Being an mp3 owner, I am very curious So, discussing things on Russian bike forum, I"ve mentioned brake pedal on some mp3s and people asked me about drivers licensing for those.

Could you, guys, tell what kinds of licenses are required to ride on mp3s with brake peda at your placesl? Are "car type license" obligatory or bike license is OK too? What interesting can you tell about your countries' licenses?

Last edited by Jah on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:43 pm quote
It is really going to depend on where you are and the licensing laws. Here in Europe, you can ride with a car license if it has the foot brake pedal. You just need to ask your vehicle registration office.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 250, BigBeo
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 pm quote
Nah, I am interested in how it is going in your places Regarding my place I'll start the thread:

No matter if brake pedal exists or not, you need bike (A) license to drive mp3 here. The pedal itself changes nothing, same with large-or-not thread of front wheels. Nobody cares about darkside tire here, same with emission class. We need obligatory insurance and a license plate to drive any vehicle except mopeds. To drive moped we need any (A, A1, B, C, D) license or special M license which yet cannot be obtained separately (no drivers' school teach to drive moped only). Car and bike licenses are obtained at road police's offices only. Learning at special school is obligatory for examination at road police office, but for bike they check only "parking" exercises with orange road cones, no test at real street or highway.

Regarding quads, we have either ATV or bike license for motorcycle steering ones, and either ATV or car license for those with steering wheels. Type of license depends on quad's documents, not their construction or dedication from factory. ATV/UTV/tractor license is obtained via special government service not related to road police.

So, who's next?
Addicted
2019 MP3 500 HPE Business
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:16 am quote
new200guy wrote:
It is really going to depend on where you are and the licensing laws. Here in Europe, you can ride with a car license if it has the foot brake pedal. You just need to ask your vehicle registration office.
The brake pedal is not the only element that allows driving with the car license, it is also necessary that the spacing of the front wheels meets the standards for the L5 designation !!

Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:46 am quote
Here in the UK, it depends on the classification in the registration document. My Fuoco was first registered from new in 2007 as a Trike, but it wasn't fitted with a foot brake.

It is fairly safe to assume that it met whatever criteria was in force at the time, so if later legislation required a foot brake, I won't need to add one.

Licencing is a different issue, and depends on what date you passed a car driving test to determine whether or not you can ride a trike - but regardless of date, you can always ride a trike on a full bike licence.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:55 am quote
Rules in the US vary from state to state. In Oregon, an MP3 is treated as a motorcycle for purposes of registration and required license. Foot brake pedal or different front wheel spacing do not change this classification (in Oregon).
Addicted
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:44 pm quote
Taught2BeCautious wrote:
Here in the UK, it depends on the classification in the registration document. My Fuoco was first registered from new in 2007 as a Trike, but it wasn't fitted with a foot brake.

It is fairly safe to assume that it met whatever criteria was in force at the time, so if later legislation required a foot brake, I won't need to add one.

Licencing is a different issue, and depends on what date you passed a car driving test to determine whether or not you can ride a trike - but regardless of date, you can always ride a trike on a full bike licence.
In 2007, the Gilera Fuoco and Piaggio Mp3 had not yet been made to L5 standards and had to be driven in Europe with a motorcycle license!
Everything changed when Piaggio aiming for a wider distribution changed the construction of its models and they became LT (Large Train) versions. The front wheel spacing was increased, a brake pedal appeared and the turn signals were removed from the bodywork.

So is your model 2007 as for all old vehicles, there is no obligation to upgrade (for example: no need to add a seat belt on a Ford Anglia 60s ....)

Addicted
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:49 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
Rules in the US vary from state to state.
Each state determines the law and the rules are the rules ...

The same goes for wearing the helmet ... But that's another debate !!
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:40 pm quote
i've bought 2007 till 2009 that where converted or allready registered as L5e DMV RDW and TUF made alot of misstakes then and registrated them as a L5e with out a footbrake and so on

but TS is in Russia so different laws
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:12 pm quote
California is ambiguous.

For the purpose of lane splitting, they are now defining motorcycles as having two wheels. I was stopped by a Highway Patrol officer about this, but when I explained that the MP3 was different from a CanAm Spyder, for example, and really rides just like a motorcycle, he was satisfied.

However, since it does have three wheels, I have heard of people getting away with riding it with only a car license.

The foot brake is inconsequential. In fact, I wouldn't buy one of the newer ones unless I could have the brake pedal removed.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.3795s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0481s) ][ Debug on ]