What caused you to get in to scootering?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:11 am quote
What event, opportunity, circumstance or event caused you to jump in to the world of scootering?

I saw my first Vespa at a car show in the Panama Canal Zone sometime in the '66-'69 period. I believe it was light blue if I remember correctly; no idea of the model. I was hooked after that. I had owned mini-bikes, mopeds and motorcycles in the intervening years, but never owned a Vespa until my mid-fifties.

That one exposure at the car show is what did it. I had wanted a Vespa ever since.

The actual event that caused me to get into scootering was the death of my father. He had left me a little bit of money and I was able to afford one and actually made my purchase as a tribute to him. He was never into scooters or PTW's, but he wanted me to be happy. I thought that was a good enough reason.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:16 am quote
I was a Mod and having a scooter was not only convenient it was the ultimate fashion accessory.
Addicted
lx 50
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:19 am quote
I’d owned a Gilera DNA when I lived in rural Spain to potter into the village for a coffee.

But now a decade later and back in the UK I got a new job the other side of the city (10 miles away) and was sick of just sitting in traffic jams in the car.

The penny dropped why not “try” a scooter and see how it goes.

Got a rusty rat of an LX50, loved the commute but hated the scoots state.....so got an immaculate LX..... that started to feel too small physically so now 3 months into riding an Xmax and 14 months into scooter commutes.

Never going back to a car, though must admit it’s a bit of a bind getting all suited up in winter and then unsuited 4 times a day.....but once behind the bars it’s my favourite part of the day.....every day.
Hooked
Vespa PX 125 Settantesimo
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:30 am quote
I was living in Istanbul for a bit and couldn't get my car there legally so ended up getting a Piaggio Zip to get about. Had not ridden before and went straight to riding pillion of course When I got back to the UK I got an ET2.
Hooked
Vespa 300 touring 2018
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:43 am quote
Had one years ago and turning 80 did not trust myself on my harley, I have had nine Harleys over the years and still wanted to stay on two wheels. My wife rides with me most of the time and we still do some day trips only not as long as we did with the Harleys. Love my 300

Older Guy
Addicted
Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumph T120, W650, Super Sherpa, Vespa 150 Sprint
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:45 am quote
Was carrying papers on a bicycle.....and getting home after dark.

But a new Cushman enabled me to get home in daylight.

Been hooked ever since

fried okra
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 250, BigBeo
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:21 am quote
I am a gardener. My garden is quite close to my home, about 6 km. But a bus goes there 4 or 5 times per day. We had a car, but my gf could not be my personal driver and work at same time So I wanted to buy a cargo trike and went to learn to drivers' school. While I was studying, I was looking for all kinds of used trikes here. I found the only mp3 in my city, and decided to take a look.

Very soon I brought the money to the seller
Addicted
2007 Vespa 250 gts / 1961 Vespa VBA
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:34 am quote
My father brought back a Honda Express for me from Japan in 1977 while in the navy.
It was my “set of wheels” in high school, I’ve had a few others and a couple of motorcycles. I guess I never lost the love for Scooters.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:37 am quote
I have a 5 mile commute from the country to work. Had ridden my bike in good weather, but it kept getting more complicated...the back road route got cut off by airport expansion, then the bypass got built..... didn't like arriving sweaty or wet to work...or home, depending on the weather. Thought a scooter would be a good way to save gas and be more fun for commuting. Of course the most efficient ones were too small and slow.....

So, 5 years and two more scooters, trailering and riding all over heck, I think my intended carbon footprint isn't all that small. But hey, it's a blast and more fuel efficient than flying. Used to burn 8 gallons just flying around for an hour to keep in practice.
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:46 am quote
I dreamed of owning a scooter since high school. ~40 years later I rented one for an afternoon in Victoria B.C.

That fall my wife and I went to Paris for the first time. I saw grey-haired businessmen commuting on scooters. I thought why couldn’t I?

My first commute was in April 2010. Now I am irrevocably hooked.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:47 am quote
I'd always been interested in one since seeing people ride them in movies. Then when by my kids were in school it felt like overkill to run errands in a minivan or SUV which were our two vehicles at the time. Plus parking is tight in one of my favorite areas for food and coffee. Gas prices were high at the time so I talked to my husband about getting a scooter. Originally looked at cheap ones but decided in the end to get a Buddy since Vespa was more than my budget at the time. Buddy had good reliability reviews and I liked the styling. Call it a gateway drug to the numerous scooters we've had since. Though we do still have the Buddy which went on to be a daily rider for my son in high school and a year of college.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:50 am quote
David Masse wrote:
I dreamed of owning a scooter since high school. ~40 years later I rented one for an afternoon in Victoria B.C.

That fall my wife and I went to Paris for the first time. I saw grey-haired businessmen commuting on scooters. I thought why couldn’t I?

Funny, I don't recall your hair being all that gray yet. Maybe you're just practicing.
Hooked
2005 Vespa LX 150, 2005 GT 200
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:51 am quote
Necessity.....right after I got married in 1985 and before I went on active duty in the Army, I needed another vehicle to get back and forth to work since my wife was using our only car to commute to school to finish up her degree. I bought a brand new 1985 Honda Elite 150 (CH150). I sold the bike in 1986 because I could finally afford another car and I had no room to store the scooter.

Flash forward to 2000 and once again, I was bitten by the scooter bug. This time I bought a 1985 Honda Elite 250 with 1500 original, one owner miles for $350. I rode that bike up until about two years ago and replaced it with a Kymco Like 200i, which I still ride. I have since added a couple of lightly used 2005 Vespas to my stable of seven scooters.
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:58 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
David Masse wrote:

Funny, I don't recall your hair being all that gray yet. Maybe you're just practicing.
Ha ha ha ha Flattery still works with me. Please don’t stop.

In the interest of transparency, these days I look like this:

2C52B43F-8D28-4F2E-AA6C-9902F6FB6C90.png

Hooked
GTS 250...LX-V...Fiddle II
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:20 am quote
Luckily I'm married to a know-it-all spouse. Not in a snooty way, just that her opinion or take on things tends to bear out more positively than mine. Repeatedly. Like in years worth of aggravatingly apparent factuality based situations. So of course in 2006 she recommended getting a scooter. Thought it would be fun. At this point we have never had two wheeled anything together, although way back when I had a motorcycle in college and she had a pedal moped during school days. So I harumphed and bah'd and dismissed the idea for two years. Then we got a scooter. She was right, again. She's the best.
Enthusiast
‘04 ET4
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:24 am quote
I’d always wanted a PTW and recently changed jobs. Old job was driving all over Houston every day (and I live about 60 miles north of downtown)—new job is 1/3 of a mile down the street. Took quite a pay cut at the new gig, and so we sold my vehicle and bought the ‘04 ET4 for cash. Absolutely as awesome as I’d dreamed it’d be!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:25 am quote
90s early on
Cheap transport to work ...... 250 for a px that ran on under 2.00 a week ..... Used to fill up with actual 2t petrol from the pump

nooooo ...... I've answer a peddle question
2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:39 am quote
10 days in Phuket back in 2013. It was a total blast riding shoulder to shoulder with the Thai people. Came home thinking I’ve got to have one of those. Now I have 3.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:08 pm quote
Back in 1984 my room mate was working at a Honda motorcycle dealer just outside Washington DC in Maryland. The Honda Elite was very popular with the local drug dealers and he would get totaled ones in all the time. He would offer owner a few bucks or they would just give them to him and he would take one that had been rear ended and one that had front end damage and move parts around to make one. I had a blue front and red back and he sold it to me for $150.
I fell in love, but alas it got stolen at some point and he had moved to a Yamaha dealer so the cheap scooter deals were gone.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:23 pm quote
When I was a boy, our neighbor had a Mitsubishi Silver Pigeon which he had purchased from Montgomery Wards. It was about the coolest thing I had ever seen. When I finally got old enough (summer between sophomore and junior years in high school), I used some of my paper route money to buy a C50 Honda Cub. Rode that bike everywhere. Been a scooter and motorcycle nut ever since.
Enthusiast
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:54 pm quote
In 1962 I went to see a movie called "A Rome Adventure". A cool guy and a very pretty brunette toured Italy on a Vespa. The scenery alone was awesome, the mountains, the small towns, the open markets in the street, and the music was unforgettable. I got out my Sears cataloge and stared a a red Vespa for the longest time. It was $329. Probably a 90cc but it was freedom on wheels to a kid like me. I grabed my dad's lawnmower and cut every yard I could find. My brother came home from the Air Force and started talking about buying a motorcycle. He found a Triumph Tiger Cub in the Atlanta, Ga paper for $200. He had only $50. My Dad said it would put in $50 and I jumped in with $50 I had from cutting all those yards. No license, no helmet, in the 9th grade and I was scrusing the neighborhood on a Trimph. Oh what a feeling!!!
Later on I got a 650 Triumph and went eveerywhere, Downtown Atlanta, Mytle Beach, trail riding in the boonies. Would you believe I hit a telephone pole on day on a trail. No time to stop, I scooted my but back and braced for impact. the front wheel actually went over. then the back wheel hit and I did the "flying W" , To my surprise I landed on the seat and did not crash.
Fast forward to 1973, in Orange Cty Ca and I saw an ad for a Vespa.
I went over to check it out and quickly decided the dents and poor paint job was not for me. I said I don't think so to the owner and walked awayl. He shouted "Don't Leave" I turned around with a puzzeled look and he responded "You're the only guy to ever show up, make me an offer! I looked at it again and said fifty bucks. He thought for 2 seconds and said "make it sixty"! I shelled out $60 and rode it home. It was a 1964 VBB 150cc and everything worked except the crank seals were worn and you had to keep the choke out while riding it to keep the revs down. The more I rode this thing the more I like it. It was easy compared to my OSSA. And you could carry stuff on it. I replaced the crank seals myself and rode it for years.
That's my story.
Tony in Tn
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:10 pm quote
Haole wrote:
My father brought back a Honda Express for me from Japan in 1977 while in the navy.
It was my “set of wheels” in high school, I’ve had a few others and a couple of motorcycles. I guess I never lost the love for Scooters.
I also owned a 1977 Honda Express - an orange one. Rode the hell out of it in high school, most notably to deliver papers on my route, and to golf practice with my clubs slung over my shoulder.

Pretty cool.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:55 pm quote
David Masse wrote:
[
Ha ha ha ha Flattery still works with me. Please don’t stop.

In the interest of transparency, these days I look like this:
Clearly I haven't been paying attention. Could be all those years I've been here already.

Well, you still clean up pretty well at any rate.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:10 pm quote
First scooter experience was in holidays at Greece - it was much cheaper to rent a twisty Vespa than a car for me and my girl friend to get around.

For the record, I simply hated the twisty gears and did not find the rideability too hot either, coming from normal bikes. So not love at the first sight.

Later, when I went to a university, I tried to find cheap wheels for my commute. My flat was quite far away from the campus and the public transportation went at all the wrong times and too seldom. Almost got a deal of a Kawi LTD, then almost for a Vespa PX.... but instead found myself a cheap 4-door sedan car, which was much warmer at winter. And easier to pack with friends.

... then, much later, having being without a bike for many years and thought that bikes are over for me, I noticed ads for new Vespas. I'd just been thinking, that if not a bike, perhaps a 50cc moped would be nice for summer time.... but hey, Vespa would be even nicer .
And there we go again - after riding for a while, I thought it would be nice to do a bit of off/rough road exploration.... and after that, widen the circles a bit. So here I am again, with a motorcycle
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:51 pm quote
I have been riding motorcycles since 1967. Started with a 150 Honda Dream. It was absolute freedom to a poor kid from a tough neighborhood. By the time I was in high school, I was dating a pretty blonde, and we rode all over on my Honda 350, and then a Triumph Bonneville 650. I taught her to ride on that Triumph when she was 16.

I married her and she became "the Blonde" - we built a good life together and have always had motorcycles. We have had Harleys, Goldwings, BMWs, and besides those bigger bikes, she has had a few sport bikes.

About 10 years ago, knowing that we were done with long distance riding, I downsized to a V-Strom...

About 6 years ago, a bad hip left me thinking I was probably done riding. When I told my wife I was thinking about selling the V-Strom (she had sold off her last bike before I got the V-Strom), she suggested we get a couple scooters.

Scooters??

I scoffed. Really, an actual scoff. No way in hell was I going to ride a scooter. So, we compromised and got a couple scooters...

A pair of Honda PCX 150s. I thought I'd be embarrassed riding a scooter. Turns out, she was right, and I was really wrong - we have had a blast with those scoots! I sold the V-Strom, no looking back, no regrets. We have hauled those scoots all around, and have enjoyed riding in some great places. We have joked that I had come "full circle" - starting on a Honda 150, and ending on a Honda 150.

Almost. After 5 years with the Hondas, I became "Vespa curious." That lead me to this forum... and I found a barely used GTS. So, as of right now, I have a Vespa and she has two Honda PCXes.

My hip is still an issue, keeping me from throwing a leg over a motorcycle. No problem riding the scoots. That said, even if I do go under the knife for a new hip, I don't see any way that I'd switch back... I'm having too much fun.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:18 pm quote
Hey JP. Hey everyone here. Thanks for posting. This has turned out to be a great thread, and I am enjoying it a lot.

And, in case anyone is curious and has never seen one - this is a Mitsubishi Silver Pigeon -

Silver Pigeon.jpg

Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max), 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:36 pm quote
I had always wanted a motorcycle while growing up, but never got one.

I rode a few but couldn’t justify buying one.

Then, in 1990, I took a job in Bermuda. Sarah and our son Sam, 1 1/2 years old at the time, came with me.

Bermuda only allows one car per household and the Fiat Uno went to them.

I needed a way to get around, so I bought a used Suzuki FB100 for $800.

It was fun, reliable transportation on that tiny, beautiful island.

Bill
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:41 pm quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Brother to the Honda Cub. You gotta love it!
Molto Verboso
'99 PX200
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:24 pm quote
As a mid/late 70's child, walking through my Cheshire village and seeing a scooter rider passing by on a blue Vespa Rally wearing an army parka, aviator shades, a piss pot helmet and flares that seemed to engulf the side panels with denim. An image that instantly burned onto my retinas. I had never seen anything like it and was immediately hooked into a passion that has lasted over 40 years and, it's fair to say, after all this time is unlikely to subside.

Last edited by Halijaro on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:28 pm quote
Growing up (and still today) one of my hobbies was fixing small engines. Broken lawnmowers were mostly available, but one time I inherited a few boxes allegedly containing all the parts for a 50cc Honda Spree. It turned out those boxes did have enough parts to build a working bike, and so I used that bike to zip around town!
Hooked
MP3-400 + Honda NT650V Deauville
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:31 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
Hey JP. Hey everyone here. Thanks for posting. This has turned out to be a great thread, and I am enjoying it a lot.

And, in case anyone is curious and has never seen one - this is a Mitsubishi Silver Pigeon -
That's a blast from the past...

The first scooter I ever pillioned on was one of those, in the early 1960s... belonged to my eldest sister who rode it to/from the hospital where she was a nurse... then the Pigeon was traded for a Vespa and second sister got her licence so she could drop it off for servicing on her way to high school... and second sister got the Vespa to use when she went nursing... third sister rode the Vespa, I think it may have been a second Vespa, also for a short time before she got four wheels... Yeah, I'm the youngest and got pillioned on both the Pigeon and Vespa[s]...

For me, it was a case of join in after my partner bought one of the last PX200s available, so I got an MP3-250 in 2010 and traded that for a 400. Also have a Honda Deauville 650.
Hooked

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:59 pm quote
Though I started riding on a Honda mini trail 50, my first “street” motorized vehicle was a Velo Solex 4600. Then on to other mopeds, many motorcycles, etc.

I’ve come back to scooters twice, but this time I’ve sold all of my motorcycles. Scooters for me are a throwback to the simplicity and sheer joy of riding those simple, efficient machines, but with more power and good brakes. I used to dream of riding to faraway places on those little machines. Now I get to indulge those childhood dreams. Ain’t life grand?
Ossessionato
Midnight Blue MP3 400
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:20 pm quote
In 1964, looking to get my first real job (I was 16), I applied to do deliveries for a local stationery store. On a Fuji Rabbit 90. I did this for 15 months and always wanted to get back on a scooter, but life made other plans.

Slow forward to 2007. My wife and I had gotten down to one car, but it just wasn't practical for us. However, there was no room in the garage for another, and our condo association wouldn't let us park anywhere else.

So my wife said, "Why don't you get a motorcycle?"

I had recently seen a video review of the MP3 and the next thing I knew, I'm taking the MSF course and riding an MP3 250.
Hooked
BV 350
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:23 am quote
Never
Never too late to have a happy childhood.

Family had a Vespa (with gears) when I was just starting to drive, 50-odd years ago. Combination of no money to spend on it, no expertise either, meant the gearshift cables were usually broken when we went to use it. Not sure it was ever licensed, either.

Rode motorcycles for 40 years. But as they get bigger and heavier, I'm getting smaller and weaker. Not getting any easier to throw a leg over the seat, either. Figured a scooter would be a good fall-back for the day that I can't handle the bikes any more.

Turms out scooters are a great deal of fun, highly practical, more economical than driving the cars. In the warmer months, the scooters are used for all my errands, and much of my recreational riding. Built-in storage much handier than tossing the hard-cases on the bikes. I find myself looking for errands to run.

Reminds me of my teen years. Except now I am having fun.
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max), 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:17 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
Brother to the Honda Cub. You gotta love it!

IMG_5435.JPG
Taking my then 85 year old grandmother-in-law for a ride.

Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:42 am quote
I had a Motebecane moped back when I was 12 until it was stolen a few years later. What started scooting for me was a job in Miami. We worked 6 days a week and I would ride with the crew down there in the truck and the company had a condo. I wanted my own ride while down there so I considered a scooter to keep at the condo. It was 2007 and I was looking around at the local Honda dealer and somehow a new Honda Met ended up in the back of my truck. It was perfect for Miami. A few years later the company folded and I brought the scooter home, looked up some clubs and found one 50 miles away in Orlando. I rode that Met or hauled in the truck to weekly meets and after breathing all that 2T smoke, it affected me, so I bought a rusted seized basket case of a P200 and shortly after bought another running P2 and the rest is history. I’m permantly hooked now
Hooked
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:59 am quote
A
In 79 a very young mod. Used to "borrow" my brothers Vespa. Been hooked ever since.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:00 am quote
Long post deleted.

Let's just say the V is a perfect synthesis of my love for risk balanced with a sense of responsibility; mod-ska nostalgia mixed with memories of Mediterranean travel; being too old to bike but not, quite, dead yet and willing to entirely forswear adrenaline; and an annual, overwhelming longing for the open road.

Or, well, a picture is worth a long post deleted; I mean, c'mon:

IMG_4125.JPG

Last edited by tdrake on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Vespa LX 125
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:35 am quote
I have been riding for nearly 28 years and its only in the last year I have found the joys of not having to carry my helmet everywhere I go when I park up. Always having my wet weather gear and shopping bags to hand in the top box. Tools in the front glove compartment. Finally, not carrying bags around my neck that nearly strangling me while riding, what a relief. Oh and there is the apron and windshield so no more cold wet knees and body. Just bought some battery powered gloves off ebay which were proving excellent until I lost a battery. Found a new battery and just ordered the correct connector after several attempts with wrong fittings!
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:22 am quote
It's an off and on thing with me and two wheels.

Learned to ride in 1981 with my buddy's Honda 350. Broke the transmission, and neither of us could fix it or afford for someone else to do that, so we were done.

In 1997 I got a Honda Shadow, my kids were young but I was bored. My wife was reluctantly ok with it. In 2000, I was suddenly a single dad, with no backup, so the motorcycle had to go.

A year after my daughter went off to university, I knew I was gonna get back on two wheels again. A scooter was a compromise between me and my (current) wife. Some friends had modern Vespas, and gave me the advice to go for a newer one... so I listened to them and then got a 1979 P200... ha! I love the fact that there's nothing modern or electronic on it. I have blinkers, brake lights, a manual choke and a kick start. I love it!

She hates it intensely, but understands I love to ride. That's fine, I get some "me" time on the scoot, and it's not a commuting thing, more just for fun.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
[ Time: 0.4917s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0583s) ][ Debug on ]