What caused you to get in to scootering?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:12 pm quote
I always wanted a PTW, but my wife was too scared for me to ride, she said she and the kids need me too much, but as my kids are adults, I wore her down and eventually took the Motorcycle Safety course. Then I began looking for a motorcycle. My wife came across an article about Vespas and begged me to check them out(for some reason she feels they are safer). I spent a lot of time researching them, that is where I found the MV blog. The more I read about it the more it seemed to be something to consider. The gears did not bother me as I had driven stick shift cars for at least 30 years. So I checked out a couple of dealers and took a few test rides and was hooked. So I bought my Vespa 300 Super, bought it when then the new models had just come out so got a slightly better deal, as we all know there is not much dealing on Vespas. I have a 2012 and have never looked back, just love riding it. So that is my story.

larry
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:27 pm quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
cdwise wrote:
KABarash wrote:
Edit to add: I’m going to ‘upgrade’ to a Vespa 300 at some point before I, in his words, “become too old and enfeebled” as he wants to ride the Lincoln Highway end to end with me.
Do it, sooner rather than later since you never know what life holds. Since he wants to ride it with you don't put it off.
Very good advice.

Your life can change in the blink of an eye.

Do it.
+1
Yeah, carpe diem and all that.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:57 pm quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
cdwise wrote:
KABarash wrote:
Edit to add: I’m going to ‘upgrade’ to a Vespa 300 at some point before I, in his words, “become too old and enfeebled” as he wants to ride the Lincoln Highway end to end with me.
Do it, sooner rather than later since you never know what life holds. Since he wants to ride it with you don't put it off.
Very good advice.

Do it.
tell me about it.
Four years ago Jan 4th, walked out of my garage onto what I thought was a wet driveway. It was wet ice, me left foot hit the ice and went out from under me in the blink on an eye and I proceeded to sit on my right foot that was still firmly planted on the garage floor; tearing my right Quadricep. 3 1/2 months later I went back to work.
The whole experience was very traumatizing. Actually got slight PTSD from everything that happen. I didn't even relize it till listening to someone describing what PTSD was.
My claustrophobia is still really bad from having my leg in a brace that could not come off for 7 weeks. Snow storms trapped me in the house for weeks, cabin fever set in.
Pain meads I only took for two day fucked really bad with my head for months. One of the possible side effect

I still hate walking on ice
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:13 pm quote
Re: Back by popular demand
[quote="znomit"]
fledermaus wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
I couldn’t afford a real motorcycle.

I miss the kitten with the coffee cup

Yeah, it was a winner. Thought about it this morning when one of our cats jammed her head into my (thankfully empty) coffee cup. Not her problem.

It was a bit of an improvement on the cat-hunting P.M.
Oh that wasn't our PM.

[/i]

Oops. That was a while back. "Generic politician" then?
Molto Verboso
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:38 pm quote
I needed a cheaper way than aviation, which was going way too expensive for my lifestyle, so I bought a Pep Boys Electric Scooter. After a few years, I bought a Piaggio Typhoon, on Ebay, that someone won in a raffle, but didn't want.....The electric scooter went to campus with my daughter, then got sold. The Typhoon, was kitted, and is a great in town runner, and still have....
Addicted
Buddy 125, Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumphs, Vespa Sprint 150
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:45 pm quote
l am down to five old Triumphs now, from 1964 to 1972 models. Was up to ten total Triumphs for a while.....500cc, 650cc, and 750cc bikes.
Which Triumph are you going to sell next? I need to decorate my living room!
Tony in Dickson, Tn

Tony, I don't plan to sell any of the remaining ones anytime soon. But who knows the future. I started riding on a Tiger Cub and then a 500cc Triumph. That's what I have now. Back to where I started

Have 3 down near Charleston, SC and 2 in east Tennessee now.

fried okra
Enthusiast
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 pm quote
How about some pics of the Tiger Cub and the 500 Triumph?
My first bike was a Cub, It rode and felt like a real motorcycle to this 14 y.o. kid
Tony in Tn
Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:12 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
cdwise wrote:
KABarash wrote:
Very good advice.

Do it.
+1
Yeah, carpe diem and all that.
Yeah, it’ll happen. Donno exactly when though.
He’s getting married in June, sometime soon he’s selling the sport bike in favor of an Enfield, I have to find the GTS that I want.
Being that he’s an Army Combat Medic and a Paramedic on the civilian side, I’ll have my ‘Doc’ with me.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:47 pm quote
Wrecked car
Been riding two wheeled vehicles all my life. In 2002 I wrecked my car and was riding my bicycle to work 8 mile one way, in 100 degree weather. That lasted about a week and a half.

Then I had this image, a daydream if you will, (more like heatstroke) of a dude riding a bitchen scooter through the Grecian countryside with a chick on the back, and a loaf of french bread and a bottle of bubbly in the basket up front.

Two days later I was commuting on a 2002 Bajaj Chetak.

I've tried switching back to motorcycles, but always come back to a scooter. I've got a GTS250 but the shifties (to me) are so much fun.
Ossessionato
Kymco Like 200i (Sold)
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:11 pm quote
Since I was a kid I have always been into 2 wheeled vehicles. About 7 years ago my wife and I were out walking about the downtown Willow Glen area of San Jose, CA when we came upon a Vespa. She asked why I don't get one of those? Shortly afterwards I found MV and purchased a scooter. I rode it for over 4 years putting over 14k miles on it. I loved it! But the urge to have more power was eating away at me. I ended up trading in the scooter for a motorcycle, but I know I will someday be back on a scooter.
2018 GTS 300 Super
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:26 pm quote
What a great thread!

I can't quite remember what got me into scooters. I started riding at 18 (Yamaha XS650) and have had 27 bikes since then, several have been scooters, starting with a Vespa 150 Sport in 2009 followed by GTS300Super in 2010 which I gave up after back surgery. A year or two later I was back into riding, and it wasn't long before scooters were part of the mix, starting with a new Stella 150 manual transmission in 2015ish, and last year a beautiful 2018 GTS300 Super in matt grey when my gf decided to try her hand at riding and got herself a 2016 GTS300 before getting her licence...

I find the Vespa a total joy to ride around town. In a big city like Toronto it's much more efficient and fun than a car to get around. I sold my car, in fact.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:13 pm quote
A fair number of Toronto-based MVers, plus more just beyond the GTA.

We should plan a get together.
Addicted
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede"
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:11 pm quote
In the mid 70s I would be taken on holiday to Norfolk by my Grandparents.

Each year, I'd hang around Great Yarmouth seafront on the Sunday morning for the regular visit by a real old-school scooter club on their tatty Vespas and Lambrettas.

When I was 15 I persuaded my Father (whom I saw every other weekend) to pick up a Lambretta GP200 project as it was the late 70s, nobody wanted scooters any longer and I had visions of being the cool kid on the only Lambretta around for miles, while my peer group were paying off loans on brand new Jap 250s.

The process worked well. Each weekend at my Dad's was spent on his phone ordering parts from an oil stained catalogue and pulling apart the Lammy and rebuilding it bit by bit.

The fly in the ointment was that before I could reach the legal age to ride the Lambretta, a certain film called Quadrophenia came out . The whole of the UK went scooter barmy and old Vespas, Lambrettas and even Triumph Tinas were dragged out of sheds and sold on to the new breed of mods.

I neither wanted to be a mod nor part of a new wave of scooter owners. I'd put the effort in to be exclusive.

I reluctantly pushed my now-pristine GP200 to the roadside outside my Dad's house with a hand painted sign saying it was open to offers.

A spotty rich kid in a brand new parka turned up with his fat-walleted Dad and took it away.

The resulting profit did keep me in bikes for the next 2 years or so, though so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Though I've mainly ridden motorcycles, the scooter bug still bites me, regularly.
Hooked
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:53 pm quote
In my case it wasn't anything dramatic or amazing, just happened to see a post of image of Vespa GTV 300 on one of the computer forums I frequent and it was enough to go to my local dealer and buy one. The image brought a lot of memories back from my home country where scooters like Vespa and Lambretta were very popular among local production of scooters such as Osa (see below).

It was February 2015 and I picked 2014 GTV 300 Sienna Ivory. Since I didn't have a motorcycle license the pick up took place in following May after I managed to get my M2. Since then I sold my Vespa mainly because the insurance cost for three bikes was way too high to justify owning all bikes. I work from home so I don't commute, bike are use for pleasure (weekends) rides only. I just sold one of my bikes and contemplating what should I buy to replace it. I like very much Vespa Sei Giorni but I don't think it will be best choice for long distance touring.

2019-01-06_2047.png

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:59 am quote
ryjan wrote:
In my case it wasn't anything dramatic or amazing, just happened to see a post of image of Vespa GTV 300 on one of the computer forums I frequent and it was enough to go to my local dealer and buy one. The image brought a lot of memories back from my home country where scooters like Vespa and Lambretta were very popular among local production of scooters such as Osa (see below).

It was February 2015 and I picked 2014 GTV 300 Sienna Ivory. Since I didn't have a motorcycle license the pick up took place in following May after I managed to get my M2. Since then I sold my Vespa mainly because the insurance cost for three bikes was way too high to justify owning all bikes. I work from home so I don't commute, bike are use for pleasure (weekends) rides only. I just sold one of my bikes and contemplating what should I buy to replace it. I like very much Vespa Sei Giorni but I don't think it will be best choice for long distance touring.
Whoa, beautiful lines on that Osa! Never seen one of those.
Hooked
2009 GTV 250
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:25 pm quote
In Iowa you can get a moped license at 14, so 50cc scooters were very popular in middle and high school. I got my first taste of PTWs borrowing friends' Honda Expresses and Urban Expresses. I eventually bought an RD250 after college. My wife owned Honda Elites in college.

Fast forward 20 years and my wife has the itch to get a scoot. She likes the vintage look better than the modern look, so that narrowed it down to Vespas, a Buddy, or the Sym Fiddle. Out of all those, we found a used GTV and purchased it. While my wife was dragging her feet getting her M1 endorsement re-instated, I bombed around on the bike and couldn't get the grin off my face. When she finally got licensed, she decided the GTV was too big for her and went and bought her own Primavera 150.
2012 GTS Super/2013GTS Super
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 pm quote
This has been fun reading everyone's 'story'. Thanks to all for sharing.

While in junior high school back in the 60s, we used to ride a neighbor's rigid frame mini-bike around the neighborhood. That's when the 'bug' hit.

We'd ride our bicycles to Sears & Roebuck and sit on the Sears Allstate scooters and dream about actually riding them. They were red in color.

When I was 14 years old, I bought (with my paper route money) a Honda CB90. As mentioned by another poster, in Iowa you could get a driver's permit at 14, but you needed a licensed driver to be with you. So, my brave mother rode with me on the back to keep me legal. We wore helmets and literally rode all over the place! Can't imagine that working in todays world, but in a small town in Iowa during the mid-60s, it seemed just fine.

When I turned 16, I bought a Honda 90 and later a Honda Dream 305, a Honda CB350 and a Yamaha 175 dirt bike. After getting married at 21, we bought a couple of Puch Maxis, but soon sold them due to starting our family.

Forty years later...my wife and I (on a whim) stopped at the Vespa dealer in Madison, WI and came away with two GTS 300s on the spot! One is white and the other is red. Finally came full circle from those days at Sears & Roebuck sitting on that red Allstate scooter.
Addicted
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 177 Polini.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:22 pm quote
Traffic got me into scooters.
I quit driving a car altogether 4 years ago and I doubt I ever will buy another car again.
Rain or sunshine I'm on my scoots.
Addicted
2014 GTS 300ie
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:34 am quote
I rode bikes since 16 but it all halted when I married and got kids. But I never lost the lust to ride and after so many years I got a sneaky plan: Riding scooter with my wife in Italy and convincing here to ride solo in the beautiful mountains, only to get here hooked on Vespa. All this a trick of mine, and excuse to join the Vespa club where my brother in law is in the board. Since five years, we have two Vespas and she loves riding.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 am quote
I have been riding 2 wheel bicycles since i was 4.5 years old. I LOVE being on two wheels. My wife always gave me the evil eye when I brought up getting a motorcycle so I kept saying "maybe I should get a scooter- they have them now that can go 60mph". She didn't think anything would come from my goofy comments and I secretly really wanted a motorcycle. In my area, Harley's rule and the thought of getting made fun of or having cigarettes and bottles tossed at "the guy on the scooter" ran through my head. Then I saw a Honda reflex on the road- looked good to me and seemed "fast". I started my research and convinced the wife that I'll "get a small one- they're safer". Bought an LT150 and the rest is history. She now has her own scooters and we ride together alot in the good weather. Did finally get a Reflex to share time with my BV200 AND no one has ever thrown a cigarette or bottle at me!

Bob
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:37 pm quote
My uncle had a Harley growing up and a Vespa VBB in his garage. I always thought the Vespa looked way more exciting. Never saw him ride it though. 30+ years later, I visited him for first time in years and saw he had a 2005 Stella in his garage, and mentioned how I had been wanting one for a few years but never put the effort into getting a motorcycle license. A year later, this past February, he calls me up and says "If you go get your motorcycle license, the Stella is yours. I haven't ridden it in years, and it's taking up too much space when I got two Harleys in the garage." Needless to say, I had my license a month later, and picked it up less than 6 days after that!

I've already taken half of it apart and replaced a bunch of stuff, teaching myself how to work on it. Gonna do an engine rebuild for first time this summer when I get some time.

I'm also looking for a true old school vespa to add to my garage!
Addicted
GTS 300
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:49 am quote
Rode a MC most of my young adult life, main form of transportation, then I got married and ended up without a MC; a few years back I got the itch for a MC and told the wife – a moth or so passes and she buys a People 150 and tells me not to buy a MC but get a scooter instead so we can ride together – so I do.

I am getting the itch for a MC again. Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster!

Ossessionato
2013 Hodna NC700XD
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 am quote
I'm a late bloomer to the two wheel game. Years ago my best friend, who had been riding for a number of years, took me for a spin on the back of his bike. I loved it. A few years later one of my wife's co-workers let me take her suzuki motorcycle up and down the street learning to shift and counter steer. Those rides planted the seed to get my M/C endorsement.

I finally made up my mind to get my certification and see what happens.

Less than a year later I bought my first scooter, a used 2007 Red GTS. I have a 60 mile commute into/out of D.C. and the last thing I wanted to do while commuting was shift a motorcycle. The Vespa solved that problem. Auto bikes weren't being made at that time (yes, I know about the Hondamatics) and the Vespa ticked off that box.

After 3 years, I decided I needed a little more oomph for commuting in the D.C. area and moved up to an Aprilia Mana. That was a great bike but after a few years the Mana and my shoulders didn't agree. I decided to trade it in on a Honda NC700XD.The Honda is the perfect bike for me. After 6 years and 31K I still get giddy every time I go for a ride.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123
[ Time: 0.5073s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0904s) ][ Debug on ]