Coast to Coast 2019
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 am quote
amateriat wrote:
And Now For Something Completely Different......would you believe, an electric superbike, with 6-speed manual, from Kymco?

https://imotorbike.my/news/en/2019/01/kymco-set-to-usher-into-2019-with-new-electric-superbike-supernex
Well, how is this for an idea? Riding an electric motorcycle across the US would certainly be a new thing.....AND its a KYMCO!

Of course, this summer is probably too soon, the bike is probably too expensive, and cross country is probably too many charging cycles. Still, it makes you think.
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:59 am quote
Bong
I'd give that ago if there were enough charging points.

I'm serious.

Bill x
2018 GTS 300 Super
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 pm quote
This guy did it (crossing USA) in 2012 with a Zero electric motorcycle : https://www.businessinsider.com/every-summer-i-take-long-road-trips-on-my-electric-motorcycle-2017-10
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:07 pm quote
Harley Davidson LiveWire.
eeee-bip
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:13 pm quote
Go
No certain release date as for as I know.

Just checked - August 2019.

Bill x
eeee-bip
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:19 pm quote
Ask
Does any know a really good shipper of motorcycles ?

In a trailer rather than strapped to a pallet.

Thanks

Bill x
eeee-bip
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:46 pm quote
Postitive
Harley Davidson LiveWire will be priced at between $ 27,500 and $30,000.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
2015 Ducati Monster 821 &'07 GT200 & 2012 Bonneville SE & BMW R Ninet Pure
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:37 am quote
VRoadScholar wrote:
This guy did it (crossing USA) in 2012 with a Zero electric motorcycle : https://www.businessinsider.com/every-summer-i-take-long-road-trips-on-my-electric-motorcycle-2017-10
it took 44 days!!! wow.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:29 pm quote
gopam wrote:
it took 44 days!!! wow.
He ran out of juice after about 90 minutes, which means a lot of down time.
eeee-bip
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:31 pm quote
Twang
And a very long cable.

Bill x
eeee-bip
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:36 am quote
Distance
Actually, that's a really good point.

At what mileage range would you consider swapping to an electrically powered bike ?

150 miles ?

Bill x
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:06 am quote
My idea would be to have the batteries available to swap every 100 mi or so, the mfgs would just have to agree to standardize the batteries. Like a petrol/gas station, but with freshly charged batteries on hand.
eeee-bip
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 am quote
Tics
Yes but this is where the Vespa and the Kymco may have a bit of a problem.

By the looks the batteries aren't removable.

Watch this space.

Bill x
Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:34 am quote
Re: Ask
Bill Dog wrote:
Does any know a really good shipper of motorcycles ?

In a trailer rather than strapped to a pallet.

Thanks

Bill x
I've used Haul Bikes http://haulbikes.com for shipping both motorcycles and scooters. They used fully enclosed trailers. They only haul bikes in the trailers (no other type of cargo). They've been super easy to use and always have been reliable. They show up when they say they will show up.

-Craig
eeee-bip
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:37 am quote
Big
Thank you.

This is exceptionally helpful.

Logged, noted.

Bill x
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:49 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
At what mileage range would you consider swapping to an electrically powered bike ?
It's more than just mileage though isn't it. There's purchase price. There's how long do the batteries last and how much does it cost to replace them? Obviously electric scooters would be sold to city dwellers but not everyone in the city can plug their scooter in at home. Can you use the same charge ports as cars? Do they come with storage or is every square inch of space converted to battery. I like the idea of an electric bike. I like the idea of saving the planet while saving on fuel costs but then I suppose it depends what the batteries are made from. I've seen a couple of electric scooters on my daily commute and the people that ride them seem happy enough. I see far more people on electric kick scooters though - probably half a dozen just today and mostly the Xiaomi m365. At my last company there was a guy who came in on an electric one wheel device, a ninebot one s2, and, I must admit, I loved that thing but suspect I'd probably break my legs if I tried it.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:04 pm quote
robinm wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
It's more than just mileage though isn't it. There's purchase price. There's how long do the batteries last and how much does it cost to replace them? Obviously electric scooters would be sold to city dwellers but not everyone in the city can plug their scooter in at home. Can you use the same charge ports as cars? Do they come with storage or is every square inch of space converted to battery. I like the idea of an electric bike. I like the idea of saving the planet while saving on fuel costs but then I suppose it depends what the batteries are made from. I've seen a couple of electric scooters on my daily commute and the people that ride them seem happy enough. I see far more people on electric kick scooters though - probably half a dozen just today and mostly the Xiaomi m365. At my last company there was a guy who came in on an electric one wheel device, a ninebot one s2, and, I must admit, I loved that thing but suspect I'd probably break my legs if I tried it.
wmak wrote:
My idea would be to have the batteries available to swap every 100 mi or so, the mfgs would just have to agree to standardize the batteries. Like a petrol/gas station, but with freshly charged batteries on hand.
Warren's (wmak's) solution has, I believe, got to be the answer to all these issues. ...although it obvious creates a whole other set of issues, but, really, at some point 50 or so years ago people must have decided "hey, let's just standardize D batteries, ok?"

The other nice thing about somewhat standardized batteries is that, with some admittedly complex planning, older bikes and cars could use improved batteries, so long as the newer batteries keep to a standard size etc.

Standardization impedes innovation, for sure, but at some point it seems a necessary step in making electric vehicles long-distance capable.
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:13 pm quote
I think swappable batteries are already here for scooters but obviously they haven't been widely accepted yet. Kymco so Bill will be happy.
eeee-bip
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:22 pm quote
Clip
I'm never happy.

Bill x
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:57 pm quote
Re: Clip
Bill Dog wrote:
I'm never happy.

Bill x
Well, yer British, so we sorta knew that.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/21/trump-america-sad-world-happiness-report
Ossessionato
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:30 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
robinm wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
wmak wrote:
Warren's (wmak's) solution has, I believe, got to be the answer to all these issues. ...although it obvious creates a whole other set of issues, but, really, at some point 50 or so years ago people must have decided "hey, let's just standardize D batteries, ok?"

The other nice thing about somewhat standardized batteries is that, with some admittedly complex planning, older bikes and cars could use improved batteries, so long as the newer batteries keep to a standard size etc.

Standardization impedes innovation, for sure, but at some point it seems a necessary step in making electric vehicles long-distance capable.
I donít think batteries will be in cars in 50 years, I think they will got the way of the CFL bulb and hydrogen fuel cells will take over.
eeee-bip
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:37 am quote
Choke
The manufacture of Hydrogen fuel is way too carbon intensive to be a viable liquid fuel.

And you need to refrigerate it.

Bill x
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 pm quote
Silly bump: Hey Bill, does this look like a good idea?

BC302B9A-FDCE-4C73-9702-B06C5BF0DC69.jpeg

eeee-bip
Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:50 am quote
Say
You are being ironic aren't you ?

Bill x
eeee-bip
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:49 am quote
Serving Suggestion
Actually I was thinking about attempting a coast to coast non stop in a rental car with 3 drivers and lots to eat and drink only stopping for fuel.

Just for a laugh.

Whose with me ?

Bill x
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:33 am quote
Re: Serving Suggestion
Bill Dog wrote:
Actually I was thinking about attempting a coast to coast non stop in a rental car with 3 drivers and lots to eat and drink only stopping for fuel.

Just for a laugh.

Whose with me ?

Bill x
Who are you, my father?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:41 am quote
Re: Serving Suggestion
Bill Dog wrote:

Just for a laugh.

Whose with me ?

Bill x
I know it can be done with two drives in 48 hours
LA to Washington DC
eeee-bip
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 am quote
But
Tell me more......

Bill x
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:06 am quote
tdrake wrote:
robinm wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
wmak wrote:

As the battery swapping in cars is, for obvious reasons, not viable, or not at least an easy solution, the development of chargers has been quite good recently.

To the extend, that where e. g. industrial electric forklift trucks, those that are everywhere in indoor warehouses and such, used to have swappable, large lead-acid batteries, don't nowadays always have such anymore. Instead, they may have Lithium-Ion batteries and fast charge stations for the so called "opportunity charging" : plug in the vehicle for all pauses you'll have, coffee and lunch breaks included. This way no battery swapping is needed, nor the traditional overnight charging.

Funny thing is, that this way a typical Lithium-Ion battery also lasts many times longer than if it would be drained to almost empty every time. Downside is that the fast chargers do suck in a bit of electricity...

So... compulsory coffee breaks for riders/drivers in the future? Taxi drivers with electric cars already use this method (to some extend) around here, works OK, but yeah, requires a bit of planning and some infrastructure to work properly.

Hydrogen fits nicely to the traditional thinking of "filling up" vehicles. Then again, it does have a bit of that "we don't need cars, we want faster horses" spirit, that often has problems in the long term...Interesting to see how the game continues.

.. and how does this help Bill? Well, not much ...just that you won't be breaking any speed or endurance records with e-bikes yet, sorry to say.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:34 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
I did exactly that a couple of times while I was a college student - back in the day. Three of us - non-stop from Portland, OR to Boston, MA only stopping for gas and takeout food. Used a $99 unlimited mileage special on a rental car once, and my own car once. Got there in a bit more than 2 days. Saved us lots of money but it wasn't all that much fun.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:03 am quote
The run across the country can be completed very quickly if the drivers are willing to exceed the speed limit by a considerable amount.

The original Cannonball, the car one started by Brock Yates in 1971, the Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash, ran from the Red Ball Garage in New York City to the Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach, California. It is best described here:

Car and Driver magazine detailed the November 1971 running in its March 1972 issue.[6] That article was reprinted to represent the 1970s on the magazine's 50th anniversary in 2005. A remarkable effort was made by American racing legend Dan Gurney, winner of the 1967 24 hours of Le Mans. He won the second Cannonball in a Ferrari Daytona. Gurney said, "At no time did we exceed 175 mph." He and Brock Yates as co-driver took 35 hours and 54 minutes to travel 2,863 miles (4,608 km) at an average of approximately 80 mph (130 km/h) while collecting one fine. Snow in the Rocky Mountains slowed them down considerably.[7][8][9]

In 1972 the team of Steve "Yogi" Behr, Bill Canfield, and Fred Owens won in a Cadillac Coupe deVille, the first American car to win a Cannonball.[10]
On April 23Ė25, 1975, Jack May and Rick Cline drove a Ferrari Dino (05984) from the Red Ball Garage in New York City in a world record time of 35 hours and 53 minutes, averaging 83 mph (134 km/h).[11][12][13]

The record for official Cannonballs is 32 hours and 51 minutes (about 87 mph), set in the final run from Darien, Connecticut, to Los Angeles by Dave Heinz and Dave Yarborough in a Jaguar XJS in April 1979.[14][15]
This New York area to Los Angeles 1979 record was broken in 2006 by Alex Roy and David Maher, setting a time of 31 hours 4 minutes, as documented in the film 32 Hours 7 minutes.[16][17][18][19]

On October 19, 2013, Ed Bolian and his team, co-driver Dave Black and passenger Dan Huang, made the trip in a Mercedes CL-55 in 28 hours and 50 minutes.[20][21]

I think it might be fun to try to beat that record.

Bill
eeee-bip
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:14 am quote
Plus
Highly recommend books on the subject.

The Driver, Alex Roy

For the Record, Ed Bolian

The Man who would stop at nothing, Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Against the Wind, Ron Ayres

Alex Roy also holds the record for crossing the USA in a 3 wheeled vehicle - a Morgan.

Ed Bolian's average speed was 100.3 miles and hour which means they must have been running around 150 mph for much of the time

They also took the spare out of the trunk and filled it with two huge fuel cells.

That may have helped.

All you need to know
And this
And this
Bill x
eeee-bip
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:18 pm quote
Options
Option 1

Borrow a nice man's Triumph T120 from New Jersey, ride it to LA then get it shipped back to it's owner.

Option 2

Accept a dealership's offer in south Denver to ship me a GTS to New Jersey, ride it to LA, say some nice things about the scooter and the dealership then get it shipped back.

Option 3

Buy a very low mileage BV350 ( 500 miles ) in DC, ride it to LA then sell it and fly home.

Would anyone be interested in a BV350 with 3500 miles on it which will arrive in LA in mid July ?

Bill x
Hooked
Looking
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:12 am quote
[quote="Dooglas"]
gopam wrote:
He ran out of juice after about 90 minutes, which means a lot of down time.
So crossing the Mojave Desert is a real bummer.

Nevada-HWY-50-Loneliest-Road-in-America-Random-Stops-Attractions-Long-streches-of-Road.jpg

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:21 am
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 / GT60 (X2)/ ET4 (X2)/ ET2/ 78 P200/ 67 Sprint/ 09 GTS/ 03 Ruckus/ 13 946/ 16 Prima 70/ 15 Sprint
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:52 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Option 1

Borrow a nice man's Triumph T120 from New Jersey, ride it to LA then get it shipped back to it's owner.

Option 2

Accept a dealership's offer in south Denver to ship me a GTS to New Jersey, ride it to LA, say some nice things about the scooter and the dealership then get it shipped back.

Option 3

Buy a very low mileage BV350 ( 500 miles ) in DC, ride it to LA then sell it and fly home.

Would anyone be interested in a BV350 with 3500 miles on it which will arrive in LA in mid July ?

Bill x
Option 3 since you asked.

Itís the only one where you are financially responsible for your own planned pleasure.

SDG
eeee-bip
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:54 am quote
Spicey Today
Not true.

I'm paying for the shipping in Option 1 and 2.

Check your facts.

Bill x
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:58 am quote
SDG wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Bill x
Option 3 since you asked.

Itís the only one where you are financially responsible for your own planned pleasure.

SDG
Yep, after so many years of slagging on Vespas option 2 seems highly unethical -- people expect and deserve reviews accurately representing the reviewers opinion rather than his or her desire for personal gain (ie free use of a Vespa).

Also you've made it clear that you are financially independent so why ask a dealer to pay your way when Vespa dealers already face a difficult business environment?
eeee-bip
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:12 am quote
Details
I'd call it more hypercritical more than unethical because I slagged off my BV350 as well for having a throttle body that didn't talk to the ECU.

I've always said that the GTS 300 supplied by Vespa Sherman Oaks ran like clockwork and I have no complaints at all.

I've also said that when I caught an MRSA infection on day 2 of the Cannonball in 2012 I could have just parked it in the desert and flown home but I kept on riding until I ended up in the ICU in San Diego for about 3 days and a $50,000 bill for medical care to boot so.......

For the record I've not asked for anything free so check your facts before you point the finger.

I've been slagging the product because all of mine - the GT200, GTS250, GTS300 and BV350 all failed on some level.

I wished they hadn't but they did. I could delete that fact from history so the scales remain firmly on your eyelids but it happened even if you chose not to want to believe it.

They failed in such a way that I knew that I didn't trust the brand enough to own one again, and that's the important bit. To own one.

So when I asked around what was going I had the offers above so as beggers can't be choosers I'm trying to decide whats best.

Now a Kymco would be ideal because I've found them more reliable than any Vespa or Piaggio I've owned they are difficult to sell as a used vehicle because they just aren't as well know as the Italian brands so you make the best of your options.

Bill x

Last edited by Bill Dog on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:24 am quote
Re: Details
Bill Dog wrote:
I'd call it more hypercritical more than unethical because I slagged off my BV350 as well for having a throttle body that didn't talk to the ECU.

I've always said that the GTS 300 supplied by Vespa Sherman Oaks ran like clockwork and I have no complaints at all.

I've also said that when I caught an MRSA infection on day 2 of the Cannonball in 2012 I could have just parked it in the desert and flown home but I kept on riding until I ended up in the ICU in San Diego for about 3 days and a $50,000 bill for medical care to boot so.......

For the record I've not asked for anything free so check your facts before you point the finger.

I've been slagging the product because all of mine - the GT200, GTS250, GTS300 and BV350 failed.

They failed in such a way that I knew that i didn't trust the brand enough to own one again, and that's the important bit. To own one.

More coming.....
I thought you wanted our opinion.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
[ Time: 0.3828s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0481s) ][ Debug on ]