Coast to Coast 2019
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456
Addicted
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede"
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:28 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Here's something that we don't have in England.

Gas pumps from the 1970's

Clunk, clunk , clunk, big clunk.

Bill x
Did you try to get the last bit of gas in before the last number turned over?

It's like playing those tipping point coin machines as a kid.

eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125/Kymco AK550 I don't care. You can quote me.
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:32 am quote
Click
Yes I have to admit I did.

I don't want to sound disrespectful to anyone in West Virginia but I did think Wow they still have the kluncker kluncker types around here.

It actually made me hark back to a time when we still used them as now everything everywhere is digital.

The stop was a Mum and Pop store that pretty much sold everything as there wasn't anything else around for miles but the amount of abandoned buildings locally stunned me.

Maybe 1 in 5 buildings were actually occupied.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:45 am quote
Re: Thunk
Bill Dog wrote:
Here's something that we don't have in England.

Gas pumps from the 1970's

Clunk, clunk , clunk, big clunk.

Bill x
I have that same hi biz bike bag that has been used in the US, UK and New Zealand. It may have more mikes on it than many of the scoots on this forum
eeee-bip
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 am quote
Fact
Oh this worked like a charm.

Bill x

20190916_144830_resized.jpg

Thunder Thief
2010 GTS 300 Super & 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Location: in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia... on the trail of the lonesome pine..."
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm quote
Re: Click
Bill Dog wrote:

I don't want to sound disrespectful to anyone in West Virginia but I did think Wow they still have the kluncker kluncker types around here.

It actually made me hark back to a time when we still used them as now everything everywhere is digital.

The stop was a Mum and Pop store that pretty much sold everything as there wasn't anything else around for miles but the amount of abandoned buildings locally stunned me.

Bill x
This is because the coal mining industry came to a screeching halt. towns either adapt and change or wither away. Since there is nothing else out there really for an industry besides coal or forestry. well.... there ya go
eeee-bip
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:31 pm quote
Click
Thanks for the explanation.

If you're a photographer and you're into urban, industrial or rural decay it's a goldmine but it's beauty for me seemed to have been over taken by it's acute emptiness.

The people that I met were lovely and if I had more time I would have loved to learn more about the place but I was having a bit of a battle with the bike.

The Bonneville didn't excel in the switchbacks and I was all over the place like a mad women's piss while attempting to muscle the bike through the corners so much as I was loving the countryside I was frustrated by my inability to get to grips with it.

It may well have just been me over riding it and blaming the bike but whatever I tried I still found myself in the wrong gear or at the wrong speed missing apex after apex.

The Triumph is far more suited to high speed high mileage touring so as soon as I could I got back on the quick stuff.

I'd like to come back and ride the state on a Super Moto. That would be fun.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:31 pm quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Thanks for the explanation.

If you're a photographer and you're into urban, industrial or rural decay it's a goldmine but it's beauty for me seemed to have been over taken by it's acute emptiness.

The people that I met were lovely and if I had more time I would have loved to learn more about the place but I was having a bit of a battle with the bike.

The Bonneville didn't excel in the switchbacks and I was all over the place like a mad women's piss while attempting to muscle the bike through the corners so much as I was loving the countryside I was frustrated by my inability to get to grips with it.

It may well have just been me over riding it and blaming the bike but whatever I tried I still found myself in the wrong gear or at the wrong speed missing apex after apex.

The Triumph is far more suited to high speed high mileage touring so as soon as I could I got back on the quick stuff.

I'd like to come back and ride the state on a Super Moto. That would be fun.

Bill x
It's so long time since I rode anykind of a Bonnie, that I can't remember how it felt.
But as I remember you being gentle on the hand push/pull part of counter steering, this may have an effect.

I've ridden lately a Street Twin: that felt also more "sturdy" than agile, and with the standard handlebar required decisive guiding.... Street Scrambler: contrary to the looks, turns much more eagerly and is aided with the wide handlebar...and the biggest surprise to me is the Bobber, that althought definitely needs initiative by hands, is surprisingly fun at twisties. Hard to say if this is an absolute truth, or just a feeling contrasted by the looks. None of these for sure has sports bike agility, not even close.
eeee-bip
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am quote
Data
That's interesting to read. Sturdy is a really good way of describing it.

I'm not talking about the bike being reluctant to turn but I did have difficulty in finding the right speed, gear and right amount of braking to use in the corners.

Also the front suspension would bounce on the ripples in the tarmac on the hairpins so more down changes were needed to keep the bike in the power.

I'm thinking that the bike just isn't suited to these kind of roads or maybe I was just asking a bit much of it.

As the roads flattened out and the bends straightened the Triumph really came into its own as a fast and powerful mile eater even if some riders thought it was bit of an odd choice.

Me I didn't care as the faster roads are where this bike really came into its own.

Bill x
Hooked
2010 GTS 300(Sold) 2008 Silverwing "Train"/2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:39 pm quote
froggieposition wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

Bill x
This is because the coal mining industry came to a screeching halt. towns either adapt and change or wither away. Since there is nothing else out there really for an industry besides coal or forestry. well.... there ya go
On 9/12, my wife and I took Amtrak from Pittsburgh, where our vacation flight from DC (Dulles, in fact, about an hour before the hijackers got on their airplanes) to the west coast had been diverted/grounded, back to Washington so I could be deployed overseas. Because of sabotage concerns, the train made the whole trip at 20 mph through an endless landscape of old steel mills and rusting factories. You could see every bit of the depressed economy. Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel songs came to mind.
eeee-bip
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 pm quote
Follow
In 2017 I took the Amtrak from LA to Chicago to New York to Washington DC so I know what your'e getting at.

Three and a half days of travel without a sleeping carriage.

Oh Joy.

Bill x
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456
[ Time: 0.1699s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0423s) ][ Debug on ]