Coast to Coast 2019
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456
Author Message
Addicted
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede"
Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 613
Location: Brighton, UK
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:28 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Here's something that we don't have in England.

Gas pumps from the 1970's

Clunk, clunk , clunk, big clunk.

Bill x
Did you try to get the last bit of gas in before the last number turned over?

It's like playing those tipping point coin machines as a kid.

Banned
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 17799
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:32 am quote
Click
Yes I have to admit I did.

I don't want to sound disrespectful to anyone in West Virginia but I did think Wow they still have the kluncker kluncker types around here.

It actually made me hark back to a time when we still used them as now everything everywhere is digital.

The stop was a Mum and Pop store that pretty much sold everything as there wasn't anything else around for miles but the amount of abandoned buildings locally stunned me.

Maybe 1 in 5 buildings were actually occupied.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 8102
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:45 am quote
Re: Thunk
Bill Dog wrote:
Here's something that we don't have in England.

Gas pumps from the 1970's

Clunk, clunk , clunk, big clunk.

Bill x
I have that same hi biz bike bag that has been used in the US, UK and New Zealand. It may have more mikes on it than many of the scoots on this forum
Banned
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 17799
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 am quote
Fact
Oh this worked like a charm.

Bill x

20190916_144830_resized.jpg

Thunder Thief
2010 GTS 300 Super & 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 2306
Location: in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia... on the trail of the lonesome pine..."
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm quote
Re: Click
Bill Dog wrote:
Yes I have to admit I did.

I don't want to sound disrespectful to anyone in West Virginia but I did think Wow they still have the kluncker kluncker types around here.

It actually made me hark back to a time when we still used them as now everything everywhere is digital.

The stop was a Mum and Pop store that pretty much sold everything as there wasn't anything else around for miles but the amount of abandoned buildings locally stunned me.

Maybe 1 in 5 buildings were actually occupied.

Bill x
This is because the coal mining industry came to a screeching halt. towns either adapt and change or wither away. Since there is nothing else out there really for an industry besides coal or forestry. well.... there ya go
Banned
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 17799
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:31 pm quote
Click
Thanks for the explanation.

If you're a photographer and you're into urban, industrial or rural decay it's a goldmine but it's beauty for me seemed to have been over taken by it's acute emptiness.

The people that I met were lovely and if I had more time I would have loved to learn more about the place but I was having a bit of a battle with the bike.

The Bonneville didn't excel in the switchbacks and I was all over the place like a mad women's piss while attempting to muscle the bike through the corners so much as I was loving the countryside I was frustrated by my inability to get to grips with it.

It may well have just been me over riding it and blaming the bike but whatever I tried I still found myself in the wrong gear or at the wrong speed missing apex after apex.

The Triumph is far more suited to high speed high mileage touring so as soon as I could I got back on the quick stuff.

I'd like to come back and ride the state on a Super Moto. That would be fun.

Bill x
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Posts: 2360
Location: Finland
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:31 pm quote
Re: Click
Bill Dog wrote:
Thanks for the explanation.

If you're a photographer and you're into urban, industrial or rural decay it's a goldmine but it's beauty for me seemed to have been over taken by it's acute emptiness.

The people that I met were lovely and if I had more time I would have loved to learn more about the place but I was having a bit of a battle with the bike.

The Bonneville didn't excel in the switchbacks and I was all over the place like a mad women's piss while attempting to muscle the bike through the corners so much as I was loving the countryside I was frustrated by my inability to get to grips with it.

It may well have just been me over riding it and blaming the bike but whatever I tried I still found myself in the wrong gear or at the wrong speed missing apex after apex.

The Triumph is far more suited to high speed high mileage touring so as soon as I could I got back on the quick stuff.

I'd like to come back and ride the state on a Super Moto. That would be fun.

Bill x
It's so long time since I rode anykind of a Bonnie, that I can't remember how it felt.
But as I remember you being gentle on the hand push/pull part of counter steering, this may have an effect.

I've ridden lately a Street Twin: that felt also more "sturdy" than agile, and with the standard handlebar required decisive guiding.... Street Scrambler: contrary to the looks, turns much more eagerly and is aided with the wide handlebar...and the biggest surprise to me is the Bobber, that althought definitely needs initiative by hands, is surprisingly fun at twisties. Hard to say if this is an absolute truth, or just a feeling contrasted by the looks. None of these for sure has sports bike agility, not even close.
Banned
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 17799
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am quote
Data
That's interesting to read. Sturdy is a really good way of describing it.

I'm not talking about the bike being reluctant to turn but I did have difficulty in finding the right speed, gear and right amount of braking to use in the corners.

Also the front suspension would bounce on the ripples in the tarmac on the hairpins so more down changes were needed to keep the bike in the power.

I'm thinking that the bike just isn't suited to these kind of roads or maybe I was just asking a bit much of it.

As the roads flattened out and the bends straightened the Triumph really came into its own as a fast and powerful mile eater even if some riders thought it was bit of an odd choice.

Me I didn't care as the faster roads are where this bike really came into its own.

Bill x
Addicted
2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 623
Location: Texas
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:39 pm quote
Re: Click
froggieposition wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
Yes I have to admit I did.

I don't want to sound disrespectful to anyone in West Virginia but I did think Wow they still have the kluncker kluncker types around here.

It actually made me hark back to a time when we still used them as now everything everywhere is digital.

The stop was a Mum and Pop store that pretty much sold everything as there wasn't anything else around for miles but the amount of abandoned buildings locally stunned me.

Maybe 1 in 5 buildings were actually occupied.

Bill x
This is because the coal mining industry came to a screeching halt. towns either adapt and change or wither away. Since there is nothing else out there really for an industry besides coal or forestry. well.... there ya go
On 9/12, my wife and I took Amtrak from Pittsburgh, where our vacation flight from DC (Dulles, in fact, about an hour before the hijackers got on their airplanes) to the west coast had been diverted/grounded, back to Washington so I could be deployed overseas. Because of sabotage concerns, the train made the whole trip at 20 mph through an endless landscape of old steel mills and rusting factories. You could see every bit of the depressed economy. Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel songs came to mind.
Banned
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 17799
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 pm quote
Follow
In 2017 I took the Amtrak from LA to Chicago to New York to Washington DC so I know what your'e getting at.

Three and a half days of travel without a sleeping carriage.

Oh Joy.

Bill x
Rocket Man
GTS 300 ABS 船rake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 1907
Location: Space Coast Florida
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 am quote
Finish
Met up with Bill and his friend Michael at the Daytona Speedway this past Sunday. Brought them some supplies to make the trip as fast as possible.

They departed Daytona early Monday morning in their rented Cadillac.

Received word from them that they arrived in Long Beach, CA yesterday afternoon.

Results: 2,530 miles covered in 37 hours and 45 minutes. Only 6 refuels with a total of 2 hours of stop time.

Personally, I致e made this trip across the I-10 corridor several times. I知 astonished at their time.

Glad they arrived safe and completed their goal. I知 sure the Hula girl had them covered.

Bob
Rocket Man
GTS 300 ABS 船rake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 1907
Location: Space Coast Florida
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:07 am quote
Correction.

Updated times. 36:45 Hours! 02:30am to 15:15 pm the next day. 45 mins eating and an hour total fueling and bathroom breaks.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 11211
Location: Oregon City, OR
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:23 am quote
flordian wrote:
Correction.

Updated times. 36:45 Hours! 02:30am to 15:15 pm the next day. 45 mins eating and an hour total fueling and bathroom breaks.
Wow. They averaged 72.3 mph from coast to coast.
Rocket Man
GTS 300 ABS 船rake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 1907
Location: Space Coast Florida
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:37 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
flordian wrote:
Correction.

Updated times. 36:45 Hours! 02:30am to 15:15 pm the next day. 45 mins eating and an hour total fueling and bathroom breaks.
Wow. They averaged 72.3 mph from coast to coast.
I知 guessing that stint of west Texas helped that speed. And, their Caddy averaged 37 mpg = fewer stops.
Hooked
bv350 (sold) and now,'14 honda ctx700 dct
Joined: 03 Aug 2014
Posts: 479
Location: spokane, wa
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:31 pm quote
howdy, speaking of old gas pumps, there must be someone else on here that remembers having to use a hand operated pump to pump x number of gallons into a glass jar then allow gravity feed to run the gas down the hose into your vehicle. come on now admit to being older than dirt and using such a device , as i have.
entertaining thread.
ken
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 11211
Location: Oregon City, OR
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:14 pm quote
And the new record is...

2825 miles in 27 hours, 25 minutes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/06/these-guys-finished-record-cannonball-run-new-york-la-averaging-mph-heres-how/
Ossessionato
Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 3333
Location: Sanibel Island
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:26 pm quote
I just read that article and was trying to figure out how to post it.

They were both AVERAGING 103 mph and not 殿larming the other road users.

While I admire MB (have owned several and two now) and love AMG that痴 just foolhardy. If a bad thing had happened, lots of other people would have been killed. At those speeds the energy involved in a collision leaves no survivors.
Banned
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 17799
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:41 am quote
Sluts
Finally home in the UK with lots of stories to tell.

Bill x
Banned
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 17799
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:56 pm quote
Ask a Mod
Could a Moderator please lock this thread as it no longer serves a purpose.

Thanks.

Bill x
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456
[ Time: 0.1725s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0518s) ][ Debug on ]