'07 GTS ignition switch/cylinder issue causing cutoff
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2007 GTS 250- Piper
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:25 pm quote
Recently began having a cutoff issue that appears to be ignition switch/cylinder related.
Will turn key to start and after allowing time for the yellow LED to turn off, all lights will go out. Key is still in the start position.

If I then turn the key a bit past the start position, just applying a bit of pressure, the bike will allow for start up.
Unfortunately, it tends to again cut off while running for a moment. Obviously unsafe, so I've opened her up to see if I could determine the issue, but am not at all knowledgeable enough to diagnose the exact issue.

Have reviewed other threads and don't believe the symptoms would indicate sensor problem and battery is new.
Could be a faulty or corroded cut off switch, but the fact that applying a bit of pressure to the key allows for correction w/out any action upon that switch seems to indicate it's key/cylinder related?

Any ideas on diagnosing the real cause or determining what I should replace first- ignition switch, lock body, lock bar, etc?
I have both brown and blue keys if reprogramming is required.

Thanks all and Happy New Year.
Ossessionato
BV350, Yamaha Zuma 125, Yamaha FZ6, Toro 3521
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:34 pm quote
Re: '07 GTS ignition switch/cylinder issue causing cutoff
originalben wrote:
... but the fact that applying a bit of pressure to the key allows for correction w/out any action upon that switch seems to indicate it's key/cylinder related?

Any ideas on diagnosing the real cause or determining what I should replace first- ignition switch, lock body, lock bar, etc?
I have both brown and blue keys if reprogramming is required.
The first thing I'd do is spray lock lubricant into the cylinder and see if that solves the problem.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:57 pm quote
The first thing I'd do is to replace the very cheap (and often broken) ignition switch.

The key barrel stuff is irrelevant. The electrical bit is behind that - fragile and IMHO a consumable. Always keep a spare...
Hooked
2007 GTS 250- Piper
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:38 am quote
Thank you, I will try those steps first.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:44 pm quote
It's the green thing at the end of the barrel. There's a clip. Pull it out and the switch should come right out. As Jim said, they break all the time.
Hooked
2007 GTS 250- Piper
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:26 pm quote
Thanks all.

Motovista- I ordered the switch from you, received it yesterday, and installed it today.
The switch was def the issue and after finally getting it installed, all is well.

The issue getting it installed, though, was that there was a lot of rust on the barrel which made the old switch impossible to remove smoothly, so, the smaller green portion remained stuck inside the barrel as the remainder broke free.
Because of the angle of work, it took forever to work that broken piece out of there, but it's done and all is well.

Again, thanks for the guidance and the part.

Ben
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:28 pm quote
Thanks for reporting back.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:47 am quote
Not sure if it will affect the Vespa, but on GM vehicles and huge key ring of keys will over time will cause an ignition switch to go bad from all the weight hanging off it.
Addicted
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:52 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Not sure if it will affect the Vespa, but on GM vehicles and huge key ring of keys will over time will cause an ignition switch to go bad from all the weight hanging off it.
Thatís always been my presumption on all vehicles, there was talk about that on here several years ago....

I only hang a house key and a bottle opener on my key ring.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 pm quote
originalben wrote:
The issue getting it installed, though, was that there was a lot of rust on the barrel which made the old switch impossible to remove smoothly, so, the smaller green portion remained stuck inside the barrel as the remainder broke free.
Because of the angle of work, it took forever to work that broken piece out of there, but it's done and all is well.

Again, thanks for the guidance and the part.

Ben
It's not easy because there's no room to get to it, and you can 't see what you are doing while you are doing it. I ended up getting an angle drill attachment and a couple of grinding bits from Harbor Freight and then sort of put something together that worked when it wasn't falling apart. The first time I had one, I spent about half an hour trying to figure out a way to get the metal slug that fits into it out, because that would make it a whole lot easier to get it out. As far as I know, there isn't one, unless you want to drop the steering column.
Glad it worked out.
Hooked
2018 Yamaha XMAX 300
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:22 am quote
I had a similar issue and it was the switch on the handlebars that caused the issue.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2401s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0418s) ][ Debug on ]