pinlock for 3/4 helmets ?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2016 Sprint 50
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:48 am quote
Hi <

I have a 3.4 helpmet with a flip visor, that attaches to 3 press studs on the brow. a bit like the photo

Does anyone know ( i have searched alittle ) if there is such a flip visor available that is pinlock/pinlock attachable ? or are pinlock only available for full face ?

Ta
Loz

flipvisorclear_1.png

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:22 am quote
I believe that pinlocks are typically fitted to full or modular helmets as those are the most prone to fogging up. Now, if you really want a 3/4 helmet and a pinlock face shield - my favorite helmets are Nolan convertibles such as the N43e, N44, and N40 full. They come with a pinlock fitted face shield and a removable chin bar which allows conversion to what is, in effect, a 3/4 helmet. There you go!
Hooked
2019 GTS 300 Touring
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:27 pm quote
With a 3/4 helmet a pin-lock is unnecessary. There is enough air flow around/under the visor to keep it free of fog. Manufactures know that, perhaps that's why you've been unable to find one.

Paul
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:39 pm quote
roadscum wrote:
With a 3/4 helmet a pin-lock is unnecessary. There is enough air flow around/under the visor to keep it free of fog. Manufactures know that, perhaps that's why you've been unable to find one.

Paul
Yup. I winter ride in much below zero c temps and that is absolutely correct. Even with my FF fogging is not really an issue if on the move. At red lights and stops etc I lift the visor. The fogging almost immediately dissipates. I don't use a pillock but rather anti fog products but they only do so much, airflow is key.

I have an Arai pinlock somewhere, just need to find it... Fogging is only really bad with a FF and balaclava.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:44 pm quote
roadscum wrote:

Paul
^^^ This, I've never heard of a 3/4 fogging up. Though I supposed if you used a neck gator and balaclava it might but then you'd be better off in circumstanced that would require that using a full face.
Addicted
LXS 150
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:46 pm quote
3/4 helmets can and do fog up. My Nolan N21 Visor definitely does. (I live near the coast; those in drier climes may have different experiences.)

The only 3/4 helmet I've seen with a Pinlock shield is the Schuberth M1, and its shield is extremely effective. That said, with the top vent open it'll even stay fairly fog-free even without the Pinlock -- but that's sometimes a chilly mode of operation.

And, of course, they're rather expensive.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:22 pm quote
Rusty J wrote:
3/4 helmets can and do fog up. My Nolan N21 Visor definitely does. (I live near the coast; those in drier climes may have different experiences.)

The only 3/4 helmet I've seen with a Pinlock shield is the Schuberth M1, and its shield is extremely effective. That said, with the top vent open it'll even stay fairly fog-free even without the Pinlock -- but that's sometimes a chilly mode of operation.

Hmm, I've lived the last 30 years in humid Houston and never had a helmet that wasn't a film face or modulators fog up. I mostly ride with Nolan helmets but over the years I've tried a few others. I've owned two Nolan N21s and they have never forgged up. Closest was leaving a helmet on the bike and having both the windshield and helmet covered in condensation that kept forming. Cured that by putting my helmet in my top case instead of hanging it on the scoot. When I lived in Santa Monica I wouldn't have ever left a helmet on the bike

I just checked and it looks like the Nolan N40 might have a pinlock available.
Addicted
lx 50
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:26 pm quote
My Airoh Executive is open face or has an attachable chin guard.

It fogged up wearing it either way, living on the coast in the UK during winter.

It is pinlock and fitted with one it doesnít fog exactly as they say.

So returning to the original question and not giving an opinion on fogging as yours clearly does so better to try and answer the actual question.
I donít believe your going to buy a generic visor that fits your helmet correctly and has pinlock.

You need to search your helmet by name (which we werenít told) and see if thereís a pinlock version.

If there isnít then there wonít be one is my guess and a different choice of helmet might be required which a few have been mentioned in the other answers.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:05 am quote
northernerbill wrote:
My Airoh Executive is open face or has an attachable chin guard.

It fogged up wearing it either way, living on the coast in the UK during winter.

It is pinlock and fitted with one it doesnít fog exactly as they say. .
Your Autograph sounds like my Nolan n44 and with the chinbar in place it will go get upithout a pinlock.

The 3snap on visors I've seen are pretty basic so your comment about needing a different helmet is spot on if a pinlock is needed.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:42 am quote
northernerbill wrote:
You need to search your helmet by name (which we werenít told) and see if thereís a pinlock version.
The place for the OP to enquire is https://www.racevisors.co.uk/ who offer a DIY pinlock kit for helmets they can't match to a known visor type.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:39 pm quote
roadscum wrote:

Paul
+1

I rode with a 3/4 helmet for many years and canít remember in instance where a pinlock would have benefitted me.
Addicted
LXS 150
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:10 pm quote
cdwise wrote:
Rusty J wrote:

Hmm, I've lived the last 30 years in humid Houston and never had a helmet that wasn't a film face or modulators fog up. I mostly ride with Nolan helmets but over the years I've tried a few others. I've owned two Nolan N21s and they have never forgged up. Closest was leaving a helmet on the bike and having both the windshield and helmet covered in condensation that kept forming. Cured that by putting my helmet in my top case instead of hanging it on the scoot. When I lived in Santa Monica I wouldn't have ever left a helmet on the bike

I just checked and it looks like the Nolan N40 might have a pinlock available.
Another data point: I have almost zero clearance between my chin and the face shield on the N21 Visor, and the visor comes down to exactly my chin level. I suspect it's too small, since the retractable sunglasses shield touches the bridge of my nose.
Addicted
lx 50
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:48 pm quote
Only one person has actually answered the opís question properly and thatís JimC.

Saying mine doesnít fog.......so yours doesnít fog doesnít help anyone.

Youíve never heard of it, well thatís not true now, thereís 2 of us here maybe 3 saying actually yeh mine does.

The opís visor Iíd guess is fogging, as does mine on the right day.

Now if the op could look at the thread and at least let us know what make and model his helmet is we might be able to shed some light on the subject.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:48 am quote
Rusty J wrote:
Another data point: I have almost zero clearance between my chin and the face shield on the N21 Visor, and the visor comes down to exactly my chin level. I suspect it's too small, since the retractable sunglasses shield touches the bridge of my nose.
That does seem a bit close.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:23 am quote
airflow
It'd work ..... don't see how it wouldn't. .... just don't see why you'd need one though ...... I've used em on full face for years n I'm hooked
Hooked
2016 Sprint 50
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:41 am quote
Hi ALl,

thanks for all the feedback, didnt want to start a fight,

my helmet is a 3/4 G-MAX with a Bob Heath flip visor.

I fog all the time, when stationary, i do flip up, but my breathe rising also fogs , it does clear some while moving, but not all.

In the am, with the low sun its not great, and at night on unlit roads, horrible

I think my best best is to just invest in a new lid, i got the g-max when i bough my fist scooter, a 3 - 4 years now, when i knew nothing........

The visor also leaks wind at speed, and in heavy rain, its get wet on the inside

ill look at modular, full face ( when i get my bonus ) with all the bells.

Thanks
Loz
Hooked
2016 Sprint 50
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:37 am quote
So I went shopping and solved my problem 😂

The old and the new

image.jpg

Addicted
lx 50
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:42 am quote
Very nice, Iíve had a couple of Shark helmets, enjoy
Hooked
300 GTS, Stella 4T
Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:42 am quote
My 3/4 Shoei J-Cruise has a pin-lock shield.
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2671s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0400s) ][ Debug on ]