VBA project
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
VBA
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:43 am quote
Hi guys. I just bought a VBA as a project. I've been looking for a good Vespa for a while, and this one has lots of potential. I'm looking forward to asking lots of questions on here and learning all about this scooter.
It was used at the Port of Melbourne as a run around. It's covered in boat paint, but is otherwise pretty solid. My plans are to restore it as originally as possible, but build another motor for it so that it's a bit easier to use in traffic.

s-l1600.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:58 pm quote
Nice one Tyson. I wonder if there are photos around of how it looked in its previous lifetime?

And welcome to the forum!
Hooked
59" Allstate
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:44 pm quote
It looks like theres a lot of potential, I like what I see and look forward to whatever you decide as you move forward. If the motor isn't stuck, see about getting it running, go for a ride and then move forward with the restoration because once you ride it you'll be hooked.
VBA
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 am quote
Hi Guys. I picked it up today. Itís in really solid shape. It only has a few minor dents, and one floorboard is a bit pitted. It shouldnít take too much to get it back to perfect.
Iíd love to get it running and take it for a ride, but it has no wiring, brakes, or cylinder. Iím on the hunt for a better motor. Iím thinking PX200 maybe.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:45 pm quote
If you swap to a 200 motor you will have to think about altering the gearing because they are designed for 10" wheels. And on a VBA you don't want to be moving away from the 8's... it's definitely part of their charm.
Anyway that's if you can find a decent 200 at a reasonable price... a good one went recently for $1800!
VBA
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:40 pm quote
Good point Ginch. I'm still wrapping my head around all this Vespa stuff.
I spoke to the guys at Mods and Rockers about engines, and they've recommended an LML with a 190 kit. How does that sound? I'm after usable street power, not too high in RPMs. Good low end torque. I'm mostly going to be using it on 60kmh roads, with a few 80k roads for a bit. I'll build the engine myself, but they can supply all the bits for me.

Vespa1.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:37 pm quote
An LML case build would be pretty good, you talked about what this would cost with them? Defenitely not cheap to build up a whole motor from parts.

You're keeping it 8" right? There are only in the last year some new brake drums available for the closed style of wheel. A good friend of mine has them on his VB1 and reckons they're a huge improvement.

If you are keeping it 8 you'll need to talk to them about that because the gearing requirements will be different from 10 (by far the most common) as I mentioned before.
There are about a million different 177 kits available (187 with long stroke crank). M&R mostly deal in Pinasco, and there's a number of options by them as well. Not generally the fastest, but well set up it will make more power than a stock 200.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 am quote
man, i'd keep that just as ratty tatty as it sits.

run some fresh cables, wiring, rubber, brakes, essential safety stuffs and slap some new tires and tubes on it. knock in a stock 3 port 125/150 motor-- LML or P/PX and just rock that thing around town. it'll be plenty fast for what it is.

after a year if you're still in love, blow it all apart and paint it and go full resto.

chances are you'll find some other, more desirable bike that you'd rather restore and then you can keep that one as your mule.

-g
VBA
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 pm quote
I am keeping the 8Ē. I love the look and see no point going to the effort to change them. Not for my intended use at least.
Itís not cheap to build the motor from M&R, but I only want to do it once. Iím tempted to go for max HP, but my wiser and boring side says reliable and reasonable power is better for this project.
I think Iíll sort a motor out, then get it going as is for a while. Once I know itís all working a can rip it apart for paint.
1959 VBA 150
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:20 pm quote
hi Tyson, I have a VBA project going as well (1959) - I'm in Sydney. I started project updates on here but have since just focused on my blog - you might get a few tips from it. https://1959vesparestoration.wordpress.com
Plenty of fun ahead!

Cheers
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 1.1218s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0792s) ][ Debug on ]