A second scooter
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:25 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
I had a Suzuki Burgman 400. I never had any serious problems with it in nearly 25k miles, but honestly, I like my BV350 that replaced the Burgman much better. The Burgman's leg forward position got uncomfortable after a while, and its weight took some of the "scooting" fun out of riding. Of course, some of my Minn-Max friends with Burgman 650's and 400's will probably disagree.
I sure agree 100%. I tried several Japanese-built maxiscooters before I settled in on a BV350. I find the upright riding position of the BV (and of the GTS, for that matter) to be far more comfortable than the feet forward riding position of most large Japanese scooters. For years I hoped that Honda would bring the SH300 to the US, but I think we can now safely conclude that will not happen.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
LarryMK wrote:
so what do you all think about a Suzucki Burgman? In thinking about a second scooter I also wonder about getting a larger scooter like the Bergman or even the BMW, curious what people think about them? and yes they are expensive, but so far this is just thinking. I am having fun searching the internet about these.
I had a Suzuki Burgman 400. I never had any serious problems with it in nearly 25k miles, but honestly, I like my BV350 that replaced the Burgman much better. The Burgman's leg forward position got uncomfortable after a while, and its weight took some of the "scooting" fun out of riding. Of course, some of my Minn-Max friends with Burgman 650's and 400's will probably disagree.

Have fun!
We had a Burgman 400. Decent scoot but heavy and like you I found that after a couple hundred miles I'd have a serious backache. Something I haven't had on any other scooter we've owned. That was the only scooter we've owned with the foot forward cruiser seating position. I too much prefer the BV 350 we own even though I rarely get to ride it since it's my son's daily rider to school.
Enthusiast
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 am quote
if i could have found a used bv350...i probably would have bought it instead of my buddy 125...seems like a sweet spot for engine size,physical size, power and weight...the physical size seems to start getting much bigger after 300cc+

-genuine buddy 125 9.7hp/220lbs (0.044)
-suzuki burgman 400 30hp/474lbs (0.063)
-vespa gts 300 super 22hp/330lbs (0.067)
-yamaha xmax 27.6hp/397lbs (0.070)
-bmw c 400 x 34hp/450lbs (.076)
-kymco xtown 300 35hp/425lbs (0.082)
-piaggio bv350 32.8hp/390lbs (0.084)
-piaggio bv500 39hp/416lbs (0.094)
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:57 pm quote
For now me thinks this stage of planning is more about the where and the how then what scooter comes at the last stages of entry into retirement. Not so much about what model scooter unless your down to the nitty gritty IMO.
Thinking about it is fun but retirement, it's a whole different critter for each person. Some hire planners, some like us do not. Some go back to school and take classes as a senior citizen-which is so unlikely it's not even funny to me to bring it up!
I also have no need to learn crafts or art techniques as I've had those for many years. Self sufficient living it has been, not know it all, but enough to do what we need or like.
Some buy property elsewhere as a 2nd home, etc., we have lived in our log cabin since 1980 and raised our family in a setting like others rent or buy for recreation and retirement. It has it's "costs" but when we want to be somewhere else we go there. The cycle continues until the health gives out.
If I believed the retirement guides I'd have not enough to eat, let alone travel and buy stuff all the time.
GTS 300
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:14 pm quote
I’d like to hear more about scootering on St. Helena Island...I’d like to hear anything about living on St. Helena!
Hooked

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:55 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
For now me thinks this stage of planning is more about the where and the how then what scooter comes at the last stages of entry into retirement. Not so much about what model scooter unless your down to the nitty gritty IMO.
Thinking about it is fun but retirement, it's a whole different critter for each person. Some hire planners, some like us do not. Some go back to school and take classes as a senior citizen-which is so unlikely it's not even funny to me to bring it up!
I also have no need to learn crafts or art techniques as I've had those for many years. Self sufficient living it has been, not know it all, but enough to do what we need or like.
Some buy property elsewhere as a 2nd home, etc., we have lived in our log cabin since 1980 and raised our family in a setting like others rent or buy for recreation and retirement. It has it's "costs" but when we want to be somewhere else we go there. The cycle continues until the health gives out.
If I believed the retirement guides I'd have not enough to eat, let alone travel and buy stuff all the time.
I know this is not a retirement thread but I really appreciate that perspective. I have always worried about saving “enough”, and have exceeded the retirement guides. So per your perspective, “I’m rich, bitch!”

Thanks!
BV250
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 am quote
I retired 5 years ago, after planning and worrying about it for years. All in all, it has worked out well. My scooter addiction has, if anything, gotten worse.

Before you start wondering about scooters, you have to figure out where you might be spending the time away from Chicago. Until you know where you're going, don't buy anything. When you get there, there will be plenty of time to shop around and get the feel of the place. Lots of places in Florida are flat and the roads aren't very interesting, mostly newer and laid out in grids with traffic lights and strip malls.

When you're retired every day is Saturday morning.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:13 am quote
wentwest wrote:
Before you start wondering about scooters, you have to figure out where you might be spending the time away from Chicago. Until you know where you're going, don't buy anything. When you get there, there will be plenty of time to shop around and get the feel of the place. Lots of places in Florida are flat and the roads aren't very interesting, mostly newer and laid out in grids with traffic lights and strip malls.
What you say is, of course, true about Florida, but the discussion does not really end there. The last several winters I have spent a fair amount of time around Cape Coral. It pretty much defines the flat, grids w/(some) lights, and strip mall development that you are talking about. On the other hand, many parts of the city away from the main boulevards have fairly light traffic, the grids mean there are always alternate routes, and there are great places to ride nearby. In the case of Cape Coral - Pine Island is a great area, the coastal route up to Punta Gorda is fun, and the North River Road up the Caloosahatchee River may be the best rural ride in Florida. Lunch at the Log Cabin in LaBelle - wahoo! As you say, scout places out before you make your decisions.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:21 am quote
Wentwest said sort of what I intended as much depends on how, where, when, so on. Riding requires a certain health level too, not a lot, but some health. It also costs money which you'll know better when the time comes.
In my own e.g. I don't need a "second anything"! including scooters. Fact is what I need right now is less motorcycles! I'm selling off a couple come spring and keeping one plus my main ride the GTS.
Another huge factor in retirement is how self reliant you might be? I built my house, and most of it's doors, furniture, etc..
Mortgage is and was a no. At retirement I already owned all my tools and most all of what my lifestyle already entailed. I didn't need to go out and buy hobby materials, or learn how to do this or that, etc.. There are plenty of things i don't know how to do, like fix my TV or certain other electronics or specialized puter stuff. I pay to have gravel hauled for my road. Paid a guy to make my seamless guttering.
Living on land the day will come when we cannot maintain this place and if alive then I'll call someone to do more stuff, like bush hog, or clear a tree off our road-so on. I wish KY had the farm conservation plan like my native state of KS but here the only way to pull that one off is to have large acerage of timber that happens to be next to a special place that the Nature Conservancy or Sierra Club is trying to expand. If I owned thousands of acres they might get interested but not for small holdings.

Back to "second scooter" tell me why you'll need one? other than where you are now as a new toy.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 pm quote
Re: A second scooter
Vintage1 wrote:
drain as much fuel as you can and add stabilizer to the remaining fuel, raise scooter so tires are off the floor, etc.
To prevent condensation tank should be full and stabil added or completely emptied and cap left off to prevent condensation. Throw a rag over the top of the tank opening to keep dust and dirt out.
Oil should always be changed before storage so you're not storing a motor with acidic oil. This can etch bearing surfaces.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
LarryMK wrote:
so what do you all think about a Suzucki Burgman? In thinking about a second scooter I also wonder about getting a larger scooter like the Bergman or even the BMW, curious what people think about them? and yes they are expensive, but so far this is just thinking. I am having fun searching the internet about these.

Have fun!
the BV 350 does seem to be a popular scooter I need to check it out, thanks

larry
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max), 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:35 am quote
LarryMK wrote:
With this question, I will now give you the “whatever I have” answer.

If you are considering a Burgman or BV 350, I encourage you to look at the Xmax 300 as well.

After researching many different scooters, I bought one to supplement the collection of Vespa GTs.

I have been riding it on all of my long rides (100 to 900 miles so far) since the purchase in October.

Here is why it was my choice.

Usable top speed of over 80 mph, good for any highway.
72 mpg average so far. (Mid 60’s on highway)
3.4 gallon fuel tank, so over 200 mile range.
Huge under seat storage, so I can carry luggage for a four day trip inside, and still have room for the helmet on stops.
Yamaha reliability and a dealer in every town.

Eric, the Virginian on ADV rider is selling his, so probably a good price compared to the very reasonable new price.

Bill
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:48 am quote
WLeuthold wrote:
LarryMK wrote:
With this question, I will now give you the “whatever I have” answer.

If you are considering a Burgman or BV 350, I encourage you to look at the Xmax 300 as well.

After researching many different scooters, I bought one to supplement the collection of Vespa GTs.

I have been riding it on all of my long rides (100 to 900 miles so far) since the purchase in October.

Here is why it was my choice.

Usable top speed of over 80 mph, good for any highway.
72 mpg average so far. (Mid 60’s on highway)
3.4 gallon fuel tank, so over 200 mile range.
Huge under seat storage, so I can carry luggage for a four day trip inside, and still have room for the helmet on stops.
Yamaha reliability and a dealer in every town.

Eric, the Virginian on ADV rider is selling his, so probably a good price compared to the very reasonable new price.

Bill
Take Bills post and replace Yamaha with BMW and I feel the same. The BMW may not get the same gas milage but is a little bigger. A few other little benefits are an automatically adjustable windscreen, heated seat/grips and BMW Garmin GPS (option). The XMAX wins in the price category I believe. I'm not a Burgman fan as I do not like the styling. That is simply a personal preference, I believe they are good bikes. One thing I will stand by though is the adjustable windscreen. Once you get used to it you wonder why it isn't on all the larger bikes.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.2026s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0348s) ][ Debug on ]