@older_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300 touring 2018

Hooked
@older_guy avatar
Vespa 300 touring 2018
UTC quote
Should I use a gas additive to add to 93 gas ?
Older guyy
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
What for?
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
As a general rule? No.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Retail gasoline already contains various additives. Not sure why you would generally want more. (though I have been known to use a bit of Seafoam once or twice a year)
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
I will use an additive like Seafoam or Lucas Fuel System cleaner about every 500-700 miles. Especially if the scoot has not been ridden in a couple of weeks.

There are times when I'm riding in an unfamiliar area and need to get gas at an unknown station. The tank on my GTS is 2.1 gals, so I only put a small amount in. A little bit goes a long way.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Re: Gas aditive
Older Guy wrote:
Older guyy
Only need 91

I use BG44K for fuel system cleaner and only need to add it every 15,000 miles. Don't like the weak over the counter consumer stuff.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
not needed for regular use but a cap full of seafoam each fillup won't hurt...for storage you would want to put the appropriate amount of seafoam in
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
UTC quote
Point37 wrote:
not needed for regular use but a cap full of seafoam each fillup won't hurt...for storage you would want to put the appropriate amount of seafoam in
Seafoam over winter is the only additive I use, for all my petrol powered machines, except the cages which don't sit for long.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Seafoam over winter is the only additive I use, for all my petrol powered machines, except the cages which don't sit for long.
same here i use it for everything now aside from my car...a little goes into each of my filler tanks or directly into the unit tank...scooter, push mower, riding mower, weed wacker, leaf blower, snow blower, generator and power washer...only thing it doesn't go in is my chainsaw cause that gets premix 50:1 trufuel...i have a bunch of tanks (2-gas, 1-40:1 mix and 1-50:1 mix) that i fill at the gas station and since the scooter has such a small tank i usually just fill the scooter out of them as well
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Older Guy wrote:
Older guyy
I use BG44K for fuel system cleaner ...
Best stuff ever.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
pokeyjoe wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Older Guy wrote:
Older guyy
Best stuff ever.
Yep and people on here totally ignore me and use the weak crap over the counter stuff
The local BG distributors calls me Mr BG, because I get him so many new customers. Businesses and just people for personal use.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
pokeyjoe wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Older Guy wrote:
Older guyy
Best stuff ever.
Yep and people on here totally ignore me and use the weak crap over the counter stuff
The local BG distributors calls me Mr BG, because I get him so many new customers. Businesses and just people for personal use.
ordering a can now on amazon for my 13 subaru legacy...never used any cleaner additives...curious if it will give me better gas mileage as i have a 86 mile round trip commute for work m-f...shouldn't need a whole can as my tank isn't 20 gallons i don't think...save a little for all my other small engines

on amazon a plastic bottle is $21 a can is $25
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Make sure you plan so it is in the tank as long as possible. Don't put it in and go for a long highway cruise.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Make sure you plan so it is in the tank as long as possible. Don't put it in and go for a long highway cruise.
i'd have to put it in over the weekend...i drive too much during the week...actually i will be on vacation in a couple months for 5 days so i could put it in then
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
You want short trips, as the way it works. You drive for a while then stop. The cleaner soaks into the varnish in the fuel system and carbon on the head and piston when you are stopped, then when you start riding the stuff that was loosened is burn off or flushed through and out of the fuel system. Then next time you stop same thing, rinse and repeat.
My commute is around 7 miles so the fuel is in my tank for up to two weeks with short trips if I plan right.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
II can see where this would be necessary on a GDI engine, not so much on a small scooter engine. But I guess it would not hurt anything but your wallet.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
You want short trips, as the way it works. You drive for a while then stop. The cleaner soaks into the varnish in the fuel system and carbon on the head and piston when you are stopped, then when you start riding the stuff that was loosened is burn off or flushed through and out of the fuel system. Then next time you stop same thing, rinse and repeat.
My commute is around 7 miles so the fuel is in my tank for up to two weeks with short trips if I plan right.
i guess my best bet would be on the weekend then...m-f i have an 86 mile commute and on the weekends it's pretty much just errands here and there if needed...i do enough driving during the week that on the weekend i don't want to step foot in my car unless i have to
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
pokeyjoe wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Older Guy wrote:
Older guyy
Best stuff ever.
BG is really good stuff, but very expensive. As you say it's a professional use product and isn't really needed by us ordinary folks for our bikes unless there is a big problem with carbon in the engine and on the injector. Regular use of Seafoam or Redex this side of the pond will do all that's really needed. But each to his or her own.

We used it in the workshop for problem engines. It's so good it saves stripping carbs, cleans injectors and valves, pistons etc etc. But then again so does Seafoam or Redex. It can go the other way though and cause issues on some engines, so needs care in it's use.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
pokeyjoe wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Older Guy wrote:
Older guyy
Best stuff ever.
BG is really good stuff, but very expensive. As you say it's a professional use product and isn't really needed by us ordinary folks for our bikes unless there is a big problem with carbon in the engine and on the injector. Regular use of Seafoam or Redex this side of the pond will do all that's really needed. But each to his or her own.

We used it in the workshop for problem engines. It's so good it saves stripping carbs, cleans injectors and valves, pistons etc etc. But then again so does Seafoam or Redex. It can go the other way though and cause issues on some engines, so needs care in it's use.
The person that taught me about BG44K was totally again additives. The BG rep bugged him for months to try it. He had a start up misfire on a Toyota 240Z. After months of not being able to fix the issue he gave in and tried it. Two tank fulls and the problem was gone and the guy turned into a BG Shop and advertised for them. The guy was Pat Goss of Motorweek.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Yes, that's brilliant and what BG is designed for. We used BG244 on diesels with issues and again, it works wonders. The 44k being the petrol equivalent is not really used that much over here.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
bg44k ok to use in 2 strokes as well?
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Point37 wrote:
Yes it is.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Yes it is.
great...going to put a little in my chainsaw to clean it out next time i run it
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
Is there a problem?
If you buy your gas from a top-tier station, should be enough detergent in the gas to avoid problems. I put Sta-bil in mine in the winter (4 months) as a precaution, but probably don't need to. If you are buying gas with ethanol, then definitely need to be adding something to minimize harm from that.

If you think you are having a problem in a carb or fuel injector, then sure, add a cleaner as a first step. Cheap and easy.

But probably not needed as a routine measure.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Re: Is there a problem?
Jimding wrote:
If you buy your gas from a top-tier station, should be enough detergent in the gas to avoid problems. I put Sta-bil in mine in the winter (4 months) as a precaution, but probably don't need to. If you are buying gas with ethanol, then definitely need to be adding something to minimize harm from that.

If you think you are having a problem in a carb or fuel injector, then sure, add a cleaner as a first step. Cheap and easy.

But probably not needed as a routine measure.
The EPA required additives are part of the problem. They are to make your exhaust clean, not your motor.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
On any MC forum I've participated in, the consensus fuel storage additive is Marine Stabil.
Stabil has a limited shelf life of it's own per it's mfg., thus it's pkg is dated.

This thread needs new life? Here ya go... Laughing emoticon
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Contacted Sta-bil a few years ago about shelf life. They said if it is still Red, it is good.

As far as the marine stuff, looks like the main thing is it has "Ethanol Treatment.". Still only keeps gas fresh for 12 months.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
As far as the marine stuff, looks like the main thing is it has "Ethanol Treatment.". Still only keeps gas fresh for 12 months.
Seems backwards (though I am not disagreeing - just commenting). As far as I know, marine fuel docks do not sell ethanol blend gasoline. The main way a boat would end up with ethanol blend is if you have a trailerable and filled the tank at a gas station. Even then, many gas stations sell "recreational gas" for boats and the like which has no ethanol.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Here in the Uk ALL gas goes bad the longer it stands. Non ethernol based gas and other bio gas starts going bad after just 6 weeks of standing. And it gets worse the longer it stands. The individual components of the gas, cleaners, other octane additives, all start to separate out and sink to the bottom of the tank. You can see this in most tanks as it forms a reddish brown sticky formulation on the sides of the tank. Shining a light from a torch (note: never use matches to light up the area...or you may get an unpleasant surprise...lol!) you can usually see enough to spot this effect. Uninformed folks then start the motor with this bad gas in and it gets sucked into the engine where it creates problems on and in the injector, fuel pump, valves and piston rings.

It's good practice to use an additive but carefully using the amount recommended on the bottle. Overdosing is not recommended. Running a couple of tanks of gas through the engine in quick succession with an additive in is a great idea at least once a year. It keeps everything nice and shiny in the engine and fuel system and also acts as an upper cylinder lubricant. I don't recommend running at WOT with additive in the fuel though. It could make the engine run weak at high throttle settings as the ecu won't correct for that. So drive normally but avoid high throttle settings is best advice.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Seems backwards (though I am not disagreeing - just commenting). As far as I know, marine fuel docks do not sell ethanol blend gasoline. The main way a boat would end up with ethanol blend is if you have a trailerable and filled the tank at a gas station. Even then, many gas stations sell "recreational gas" for boats and the like which has no ethanol.
I have had that same question in my mind. No "real gas" (pure gasoline) as marinas sell isn't sold near me, unless I go out to the lake ~ 8 miles and pay through the nose for dock gasoline there.

The actual product, Stabil Marine is a sort of dark green color-reminds me of 2-cycle mix oil in color. I have wondered why they make both products if one does the job better/longer and they cost a similar price?
This gasoline storage subject will entertain you for hours on end if you get snow bound...
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
i started using 50:1 premixed cans of non-ethanol Trufuel in my chainsaw...runs much better...but i want to run a little some of that bg44k through all my units to clean them a little...i typically run fuel out when i am storing things for the winter

just got a 4 pack of cans of bg44k...they ran out of the 4 packs of long neck plastic bottles...so now i'll have to pick up a bottle of gatorade to drink so i can wash it out and use the bottle for whatever is left in the can that i don't use
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I have often wondered "who" bought that overpriced canned fuel? Laughing emoticon

Not to create a dreaded gasoline thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but Stihl requires 89 octane for their 2cycle engines and their dealers have placards on the sales counter to that effect. They also double the warranty if you use their brand of full-syn mix oil.
Canned fuel is illogical for anyone who does much cutting or other work, etc.?
There is a reason I mix 2-cycle fuel in smaller amounts since ethanol came out. By the way, 2-cycle mix oil IS a fuel extender. to some degree.
This said I live in "chainsaw land".
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
I have often wondered "who" bought that overpriced canned fuel? Laughing emoticon

Not to create a dreaded gasoline thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but Stihl requires 89 octane for their 2cycle engines and their dealers have placards on the sales counter to that effect. They also double the warranty if you use their brand of full-syn mix oil.
There is a reason I mix 2-cycle fuel in smaller amounts since ethanol came out. By the way, 2-cycle mix oil IS a fuel extender. to some degree.
yea i don't do a ton of cutting and the saw does sit for long periods of time so i want to run the high quality stuff so when i have to use it, it actually starts/runs
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
I use it every 6 months. 1/2 an ounce for a full tank
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Point37 wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:

yea i don't do a ton of cutting and the saw does sit for long periods of time so i want to run the high quality stuff so when i have to use it, it actually starts/runs
Professionals who runs saws costing many times more than your saw would never buy that fuel was my point. It's simply wasted money IMO. To make my point i run gas station gas in a truck that cost over $50 grand and a car almost that much-whats not to like?
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:

Professionals who runs saws costing many times more than your saw would never buy that fuel was my point. It's simply wasted money IMO. To make my point i run gas station gas in a truck that cost over $50 grand and a car almost that much-whats not to like?
i don't disagree...and they run through saws much faster, use the saw much more frequently and use the saw much harder so it wouldn't make any sense to pay for premium fuel when they will be moving on to another saw or getting it rebuilt way sooner than i will...mine doesn't get used much but i want to make it last as long as possible and be ready to go when needed...so a couple cans of non-ethanol premix fuel isn't hard to justify

i run 87 octane in everything other than my saw...weed wacker, lawn mowers, leaf blower, pressure washer, car, scooter all get 87 or 87 mix...my snowblower is the only other unit that i need to work when i need it that i run 87 in but i put seafoam in the tank and store it in my attached garage and always kill it with the fuel shut off to keep most of the fuel out of the carb before i put it away...oh and my car but i drive 86 miles round trip every day i commute so the fuel doesn't stay in the car for very long...figured i would try this stuff in my car to see if i can gain a few extra mpg during the winter...my 13 subaru legacy gas mileage seems to drop in the cold weather
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I give up...
@melk avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 300 (2012)

Enthusiast
@melk avatar
GTS 300 (2012)
UTC quote
Seeing as my GTS is about to hit 20k I bought a can of this BG44K and will see how it does! Figure 1-2oz should be sufficient per fillup I think?
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I don't put stuff in my gasoline based on reaching 20,000 miles or any other distance. Why unless there's a problem?
Seafoam is mostly a system cleaner, whereas Stabil is an storage/extender.

Next we need an STP thread?
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
My friend commuted, 2 up, on his Kymco to work every day in the Philippines.
He swore by the stuff sold in the green or red pop bottles by the roadside vendors. But in a pinch the pink or blue fuel was OK, too - but made you think a clam bake was following you.

Check on-line to see if your station is selling Top Tier fuel.
In a modern scooter - you're good if you use it. Cap of Stabil if parked in winter.
O.S.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2169s ][ Queries: 43 (0.1760s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]