(NSR) So who's a blood donor here ?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 201
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00 am quote
I began donating when I became a public servant.
Because of the amount of sunlight we have out here,
South Africans are able to donate regularly every 56 days.
I donated my 131st unit of A- red stuff just before Christmas.

Ossessionato
Midnight Blue MP3 400
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3706
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:15 am quote
Hi Fudmucker,

I have been a donor most of my adult life - long time member of the "gallon club", though I haven't kept track of actual numbers. I took a pause a couple of years ago due to cancer and subsequent treatment, but I'm thinking of getting back to it if I qualify.

Donating blood is one of those "all good" things in my estimation. It doesn't cost anything, other than a little time, and it just might save somebody's life.

To my mind the question isn't "why donate" but, if you can*, "why wouldn't you"?


*There are legitimate reasons why many people can't donate.
Addicted
lx 50
Joined: 09 Oct 2017
Posts: 628
Location: Brighton
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:23 am quote
I would love to donate.....more than you realise.

But I was on the receiving end, in theatre they used up 16 litres keeping me alive while they put my insides back together.

They even left me a little under stocked so my body could produce a little to make it purer for me.

So to ALL those who do donate I thank you from the bottom of my heart as without I’d be long gone.

Bless you all
Addicted
lx 50
Joined: 09 Oct 2017
Posts: 628
Location: Brighton
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:24 am quote
Sorry my point was I’m not permitted to donate as I’m not potentially pure anymore.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10312
Location: Oregon City, OR
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:25 am quote
I was a regular donor until my first melanoma diagnosis. The Red Cross does not accept blood donations from anyone with a history of cancer.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 6161
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:21 pm quote
I need to start again as I am 0+
Hooked
Primavera 150
Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 252
Location: Long Beach, CA
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:22 pm quote
I started donating a few years ago. I'm at 5.5 gallons.
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 4837
Location: Home of the Alamo
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:21 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
I need to start again as I am 0+
Zero positive?

Seems legit.
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 4837
Location: Home of the Alamo
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:25 pm quote
I'm not a scheduled donor, but do donate a couple of times a year at organized blood drives, etc. It's a great thing to do.

I had an elderly friend who passed away a couple of years ago. He had given an astronomical amount of blood over the years. He used to wear a t-shirt that read something "I've Donated 40 Gallons."
Addicted
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 150 (red) PX 177 (white)
Joined: 16 Mar 2014
Posts: 582

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:27 pm quote
Most of my life I didn't even know my blood type. I lived pretty reckless in my young days.
About 12 years ago I went for a blood test and found out I was AB negative and supposedly it's very rare.
Ever since then I've helped many people who have needed blood after a accident on the Island. Even getting phone calls from red cross in the middle of the night to donate for an emergency.
It's very rewarding to know you've save a life or two. Meeting family that have flown in and thanking me in tears makes me feel like a superhero.
Helping someone in dire need is so fullfilling to your soul. I can't describe.

I give every 90 days without fail. The free food after donating isn't bad either.
Ossessionato
Midnight Blue MP3 400
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3706
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:29 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
I was a regular donor until my first melanoma diagnosis. The Red Cross does not accept blood donations from anyone with a history of cancer.
This used to be the case, but it is no longer so cut and dried. Blood cancers are ruled out, but some others are OK.

According to the American Cancer Society, "the American Red Cross allows most people who have had cancer to donate if the cancer was treated at least 1 year ago and the cancer has not come back. (The time can vary at different blood centers.)" https://goo.gl/nMVmf5

It's been more than a year for me, so I'm thinking about starting donating again.
Hooked
2007 GTS 250- Piper
Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 115
Location: norfolk,va
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:43 pm quote
I just received my little 5 gallon pin last week.

Try to donate as often as possible, but sometimes last minute things overtake the schedule drive day.

Wife would, lupus doesn't allow her to.
Member
None yet
Joined: 04 Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Location: Wisconsin
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:25 pm quote
I'm up over 10 gallons now. I've switched to doing "dual red" donations. It involves fewer trips to the blood center per year (4), and the blood center folks seem to prefer it. It's an easy way to help others in need.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 6161
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:52 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
I need to start again as I am 0+
Zero positive?

Seems legit.
Same as my attitude in life, 0+
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 6161
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:55 am quote
Us blood donors are wimps. My dad donates platelets. Takes about an hour and according to my brother who did it ONCE, is painful the whole time. God Bless My Dad for doing it for the troops.
Hooked
ET4 187
Joined: 14 Mar 2017
Posts: 240
Location: Germany
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:08 pm quote
AB+ here, with something extra the donor clinic love.

I donate on a regular basis.
Addicted
2007 Vespa 250 gts / 1961 Vespa VBA
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 971
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:21 pm quote
I was a donor for 17 years. Being in the military, it served two purposes.
To provide blood, and time off!
The bases held blood draws on Friday mornings, giving the rest of the day free.
While stationed in Italy (Sardinia), we were encouraged to donate in the community since the small gene pool of the areas residents compromised the blood supply.
In 1995 I found out I was a Bone Marrow match and that process of multiple tests and reaffirming my decision at each step led to the extraction of my marrow. Because of privacy involved, I never found out the name of the person, just a male mid 20’s.

I can no longer donate blood, my time in Italy 95-98, I was “possibly” exposed to Mad Cow disease.
My wife, daughter as well.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 201
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:20 pm quote
pokeyjoe wrote:
I started donating a few years ago. I'm at 5.5 gallons.
Is that US gallons (3.6 litres?) or UK gallons (4.54 litres?)

My count is now roughly 60 litres, around 16 US gallons.
mickfitz76 wrote:
...About 12 years ago I went for a blood test and found out I was AB negative and supposedly it's very rare.
Do read up on this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

Red blood cells:
AB neg can RECEIVE blood from any NEGATIVE blood group.
AB positive can get blood from any blood group.
Group O neg can donate to anyone but can only RECEIVE from another O negative and there are shortages of O neg because of the universal donor demand.
That is why it is important for ALL blood groups to donate to relieve the demand on O neg.

When it comes to PLASMA ONLY, the above pattern is reversed.
So the O groups can receive PLASMA from anyone.

Many blood services are processing blood into components now to spread the benefit to a larger group of patients in need.

PS:
I was interested to hear from a South African life-long donor to the South African National Blood Service who emigrated to USA.
He went to try to donate in USA and was rejected.
"Sir, we don't accept blood from people who have lived in Africa..."
I wondered if it is a risk limitation thing - it wasn't racial.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 2242
Location: Karawang
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:13 pm quote
Cannot because of previous illness.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 8061
Location: New Hampshire
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:11 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
I was a regular donor until my first melanoma diagnosis. The Red Cross does not accept blood donations from anyone with a history of cancer.
They accepted mine after a 10 year wait.

I am O neg.
Addicted
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 150 (red) PX 177 (white)
Joined: 16 Mar 2014
Posts: 582

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
pokeyjoe wrote:
I started donating a few years ago. I'm at 5.5 gallons.
Is that US gallons (3.6 litres?) or UK gallons (4.54 litres?)

My count is now roughly 60 litres, around 16 US gallons.
mickfitz76 wrote:
...About 12 years ago I went for a blood test and found out I was AB negative and supposedly it's very rare.
Do read up on this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

Red blood cells:
AB neg can RECEIVE blood from any NEGATIVE blood group.
AB positive can get blood from any blood group.
Group O neg can donate to anyone but can only RECEIVE from another O negative and there are shortages of O neg because of the universal donor demand.
That is why it is important for ALL blood groups to donate to relieve the demand on O neg.

When it comes to PLASMA ONLY, the above pattern is reversed.
So the O groups can receive PLASMA from anyone.

Many blood services are processing blood into components now to spread the benefit to a larger group of patients in need.

PS:
I was interested to hear from a South African life-long donor to the South African National Blood Service who emigrated to USA.
He went to try to donate in USA and was rejected.
"Sir, we don't accept blood from people who have lived in Africa..."
I wondered if it is a risk limitation thing - it wasn't racial.
It's pretty interesting stuff.
I didn't realize the rarity. I should sell the stuff.

rarest-blood-type.jpg

Ossessionato
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 4971
Location: Charlotte, NC
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:28 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
I was interested to hear from a South African life-long donor to the South African National Blood Service who emigrated to USA.
He went to try to donate in USA and was rejected.
"Sir, we don't accept blood from people who have lived in Africa..."
I wondered if it is a risk limitation thing - it wasn't racial.
This has been my experience. If I remember correctly it is because of possible exposure to BSE.

I wouldn’t mind donating, I am O-, but they won’t take my African blood.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 201
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:10 pm quote
Midnight Rider wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
I was interested to hear from a South African life-long donor to the South African National Blood Service who emigrated to USA.
He went to try to donate in USA and was rejected.
"Sir, we don't accept blood from people who have lived in Africa..."
I wondered if it is a risk limitation thing - it wasn't racial.
This has been my experience. If I remember correctly it is because of possible exposure to BSE.

I wouldn’t mind donating, I am O-, but they won’t take my African blood.
More likely HIV risk. Unlike the First World where HIV originally manifested as a gay community infection, in Africa it is rampant in the heterosexual community. Sadly it affects mostly younger women of childbearing age.
Male to female transmission is far greater than female to male transmission.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 7551
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:36 pm quote
Fudmucker wrote:
PS:
I was interested to hear from a South African life-long donor to the South African National Blood Service who emigrated to USA.
He went to try to donate in USA and was rejected.
"Sir, we don't accept blood from people who have lived in Africa..."
I wondered if it is a risk limitation thing - it wasn't racial.
Risk thing, I used to donate but as business above I had a possible exposure to mad cow so no longer can

My father's as O-was much in demand as a donor when in the military and police. Later due to medical issues he was no longer elibigle. .
Hooked
2006 LX 50
Joined: 16 Jun 2017
Posts: 330
Location: Warren MI
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:40 am quote
I'm AB+. We have a blood drive at my office every 3 months, or so. If I'm in the office, I'm giving blood. However I'm ineligible for 12 months due to a trip to India this past October. I still get a dozen emails and texts every week begging for my blood. I believe I'm around 16 pints at this time.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2480
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:10 am quote
Ok, I'm gonna come clean here and admit that I've never donated.

But I have a good excuse. Namely, that I'm a coward. At least when it comes to needles.

But seeing this thread every day has been very inspiring and I need a new New Years Resolution because my previous one, not to swear in class, didn't work out very well.

Last edited by tdrake on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 201
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:30 am quote
The advantage (from a NY resolution perspective) of donating blood
is that you only need to do so 4 times in the whole year !
Member
PX210 Polini
Joined: 07 Jun 2018
Posts: 41
Location: Yorkshire
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:49 am quote
I used to be a donor but cant anymore due to having very high ferritin [iron] in my blood, they take a pint out of me every 14 days until the ferritin levels drop then leave it to build up again and start again, the blood is disposed of. Apparently its a genetic thing and all down to having both parents descended from Celtic stock.
Hooked
2006 LX 50
Joined: 16 Jun 2017
Posts: 330
Location: Warren MI
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 am quote
tdrake wrote:
Ok, I'm gonna come clean here and admit that I've never donated.

But I have a good excuse. Namely, that I'm a coward. At least when it comes to needles.

But seeing this thread every day has been very inspiring and I need a new New Years Resolution because my previous one, not to swear in class, didn't work out very well.
It's a good thing I've never hated needles. Not only does it make donating blood easier, but it also helps when I have to give myself insulin shots, or when I get needles in my eyes for my macular degeneration. I don't have the option to look away when the needle is inserted just in front of my retina.
Addicted
Joined: 26 Mar 2018
Posts: 873
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 am quote
AB+ here, but I no longer donate because I tested positive for Hepatitis B coenzyme 20+ years ago. I test negative for the disease its self, my immune system fought it off, but they are leary despite my rarity. My doctor thinks I was exposed by an ill food handler, as I don't fall into any of the Hep risk groups.

I have zero fear of needles and our Doctors office has used me as a training guinea pig for newly minted docs to learn proper blood draw techniques. I walk out looking like a heavy IV drug user with a platelet issue but it's worth it.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2216s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0457s) ][ Debug on ]