NSR Down Under
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
Author Message
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 2467
Location: Carrollton, Kentucky
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:16 pm quote
After postponing a trip t NZ and OZ last year, we're off on Monday to Auckland. We're planning to visit both islands, hit some tourist spots and some hiking spots. Hope to rent an electric scooter on one of the excursions, and would love to meet up with any Kiwi MVers available. We'll be all over from north to south, then fly to Melbourne 7-2. Hit me up if you want to try to meet up.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5194
Location: Home of the Alamo
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:19 pm quote
Be careful down under, wmak.

I hear they all have cooties.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8327
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:03 pm quote
And if you see znomit, keep your mug covered.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4871
Location: Downtown Toronto
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:32 pm quote
and don't look at the water in the toilet bowel spin, it can cause insanity for us right side up folk.
Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie, GT 200 (cannonball scoot)
Joined: 05 Dec 2009
Posts: 1052
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:56 pm quote
Re: NSR Down Under
wmak wrote:
After postponing a trip t NZ and OZ last year, we're off on Monday to Auckland. We're planning to visit both islands, hit some tourist spots and some hiking spots. Hope to rent an electric scooter on one of the excursions, and would love to meet up with any Kiwi MVers available. We'll be all over from north to south, then fly to Melbourne 7-2. Hit me up if you want to try to meet up.
I'd love to hear about your trip!
I'm planning/hoping to go to NZ this year.. probably stay in Wanaka.
Hooked
MP3-400 + Honda NT650V Deauville
Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 398
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:12 pm quote
You'll have a fantastic time!

I did when I last visited "Down Under"!

Plus EnZed is betterer than Down Under... no nasty things waiting in the undergrowth to eat you... and the beer's better!

PM sent...

PS. If your cell phone is "locked" to a US network it may not work in either NZ or Australia - check with your provider. If it is, then a cheapy phone that takes a SIM card and get a SIM card here and use 'prepay'.
Molto Verboso
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300
Joined: 11 Dec 2009
Posts: 1961
Location: St. Pete, Fla
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:12 am quote
Warren, I am sure you and Susan will have a great time. Send pictures.
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max), 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 4043
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:03 am quote
New Zealand is a country I want to visit.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Bill
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2677
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 am quote
Meh, why bother? I hear the scenery is dull, the people are grumpy, and it's nearly impossible to get a beer.

Also, I'm not jealous. At all.

Enjoy!
Addicted
GTS 300
Joined: 16 May 2009
Posts: 677
Location: PHX area
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:25 am quote
Itís been over forty years now when my parents visited New Zealand, I was so jealous because I always want to visit there still do, but she told me something that has stuck in my mind. At the time my parents lived in Kailua Kona and at the time there was at most two stop lights in town. Well, she tells me New Zealand is beautiful but there was nothing to do there, there are only sheep. I found that extremely funny but it doesnít stop me from wanting to visit.
Hooked
MP3-400 + Honda NT650V Deauville
Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 398
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:23 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
Meh, why bother? I hear the scenery is dull, the people are grumpy, and it's nearly impossible to get a beer.

Also, I'm not jealous. At all.

Enjoy!
Scenery is as dull as ditch water and flat as a pancake... beer, what's that stuff?

Plus, they use really dangerous electricity at 240v...

You're right, you'd not enjoy it one bit.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8327
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:03 pm quote
Marcus Argentus wrote:
tdrake wrote:
Meh, why bother? I hear the scenery is dull, the people are grumpy, and it's nearly impossible to get a beer.

Also, I'm not jealous. At all.

Enjoy!
Scenery is as dull as ditch water and flat as a pancake... beer, what's that stuff?

Plus, they use really dangerous electricity at 240v...

You're right, you'd not enjoy it one bit.
And your electrical plugs don't work, either.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4871
Location: Downtown Toronto
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:07 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Marcus Argentus wrote:
tdrake wrote:
Meh, why bother? I hear the scenery is dull, the people are grumpy, and it's nearly impossible to get a beer.

Also, I'm not jealous. At all.

Enjoy!
Scenery is as dull as ditch water and flat as a pancake... beer, what's that stuff?

Plus, they use really dangerous electricity at 240v...

You're right, you'd not enjoy it one bit.
And your electrical plugs don't work, either.
Don't forget that dingos will eat your babies!

Besides both my parents are Aussies and look how I turned out! I hear it's contagious.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 7754
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:29 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Marcus Argentus wrote:
tdrake wrote:
Meh, why bother? I hear the scenery is dull, the people are grumpy, and it's nearly impossible to get a beer.

Also, I'm not jealous. At all.

Enjoy!
Scenery is as dull as ditch water and flat as a pancake... beer, what's that stuff?

Plus, they use really dangerous electricity at 240v...

You're right, you'd not enjoy it one bit.
And your electrical plugs don't work, either.
Nah, they are just twisted.

We didn't make it to Auckland on our last NZ trip. We went no far north than Wellington or we'd have looked Marcus Argentus up again. Enjoyed our time with the two of them last time. Here's a Bombay Saphire raised to ya.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 2609
Location: Bangkok
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:28 am quote
rajron wrote:
Itís been over forty years now when my parents visited New Zealand, I was so jealous because I always want to visit there still do, but she told me something that has stuck in my mind. At the time my parents lived in Kailua Kona and at the time there was at most two stop lights in town. Well, she tells me New Zealand is beautiful but there was nothing to do there, there are only sheep. I found that extremely funny but it doesnít stop me from wanting to visit.
I have a friend who lives in Napier. He reckons that after 6pm you could lie down in the main street and no one would notice.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8327
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:03 am quote
rajron wrote:
New Zealand is beautiful but there was nothing to do there, there are only sheep. I found that extremely funny but it doesnít stop me from wanting to visit.
Hopefully not like the state of Montana, "where men are men, and sheep are nervous."
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5577
Location: New Zealand
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:09 am quote
rajron wrote:
I found that extremely funny but it doesnít stop me from wanting to visit.
Too bad, we donít let MVers like you in. Not since the Hobbits won that war with Sauron.

A3C55867-54CC-404D-984A-61447C32B2D5.jpeg

Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 2467
Location: Carrollton, Kentucky
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:46 am quote
Y'all are having way too much fun with this. I'll post some pics next week.
Hooked
MP3-400 + Honda NT650V Deauville
Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 398
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:38 pm quote
cdwise wrote:
...We didn't make it to Auckland on our last NZ trip. We went no far north than Wellington or we'd have looked Marcus Argentus up again. Enjoyed our time with the two of them last time. Here's a Bombay Sapphire raised to ya.
After your scooter "adventures" last time, I'm surprised you'd risk NZ again!
Hooked
MP3-400 + Honda NT650V Deauville
Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 398
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:40 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Hopefully not like the state of Montana, "where men are men, and sheep are nervous."
You shouldn't listen to those Australians...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5194
Location: Home of the Alamo
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 pm quote
Marcus Argentus wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Hopefully not like the state of Montana, "where men are men, and sheep are nervous."
You shouldn't listen to those Australians...
Ain't that the truth!
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 3755
Location: Millbin, Ostrayleea, mate
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:32 pm quote
Re: NSR Down Under
[quote=
I'm planning/hoping to go to NZ this year.. probably stay in Wanaka.[/quote]

Kinda predictable, but not the "real" New Zealand... biggest tourist spot!
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 3755
Location: Millbin, Ostrayleea, mate
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:36 pm quote
[quote=
And your electrical plugs don't work, either. [/quote]

Thats due to Americas poffy voltage!
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 3755
Location: Millbin, Ostrayleea, mate
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:41 pm quote
Dropbears!
Bear-aware of them... ohh... plus the snakes, spiders, sharks, crocks & any other animal/insect that live in Aus.

BTW: if you are in Melbourne, look me up & i may even scare you with a blat on Speedy
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2677
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:12 pm quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
[quote=
And your electrical plugs don't work, either.
Thats due to Americas poffy voltage![/quote]

This is the secret to our American supremacy: by using 110 we're able to conserve half of our electricity.

We use the left over half to generally dominate the world, go to the moon, invent the internet etc.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5577
Location: New Zealand
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:27 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
This is the secret to our American supremacy: by using 110 we're able to conserve half of our electricity.

We use the left over half to generally dominate the world, go to the moon, invent the internet etc.
Yeah, nah. You only do that stuff to make up for you teeny tiny little voltage.
Voltage envy. Look Iím sure your domestic appliances are perfectly happy with half a real voltage. You must have some other redeeming qualities that keeps the hanging around. Or maybe they just donít know any better.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 2609
Location: Bangkok
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:37 pm quote
The US will eventually get around to 220 or 240v . It is just a phase they are going through.

Homes in UK use 240 but industry uses 110 so the locals can't steal stuff and take it home !! Clever use of 110.

FYI Brazil is 126v !!

Last edited by waspmike on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 2609
Location: Bangkok
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:40 pm quote
Re: Dropbears!
SubEtherBASS wrote:
ohh... plus the snakes, spiders, sharks, crocks & any other animal/insect that live in Aus.
Aussies like to scare people by telling them all about the nasty exotic beasties they have but in fact horses kill more people than any other animal in Aus..

So if visiting Aus. don't ride horses.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4871
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:54 pm quote
Re: Dropbears!
waspmike wrote:
SubEtherBASS wrote:
ohh... plus the snakes, spiders, sharks, crocks & any other animal/insect that live in Aus.
Aussies like to scare people by telling them all about the nasty exotic beasties they have but in fact horses kill more people than any other animal in Aus..

So if visiting Aus. don't ride horses.
The trick is not standing behind them. I had an ex that was a show jumper and she has a habit of leaving me holding her huge Rhodesian Ridgeback as well as her huge horse while she walked the course with her trainer. That made for some very interesting and rather nerve-wracking moments....

Seeing as how this is MV allow me to clarify...

My girlfriend rode the horse - the horse did the jumping. My girlfriend was the one that would occasional going flying over it's neck at a liverpool.

nerve-wracking and nerve-racking are both acceptable terms.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 7754
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:36 pm quote
Marcus Argentus wrote:
cdwise wrote:
...We didn't make it to Auckland on our last NZ trip. We went no far north than Wellington or we'd have looked Marcus Argentus up again. Enjoyed our time with the two of them last time. Here's a Bombay Sapphire raised to ya.
After your scooter "adventures" last time, I'm surprised you'd risk NZ again!
And I hope took risk more adventures again But it won't be for another few years.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 351
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:26 pm quote
Enjoy New Zealand.
The country is beautiful and it has great riding opportunities.
(Watch your speed limits!)
South Island has the best scenery if you are into that.
Don't get freaked out by the fact that the sun rises on the right hand side
and the water in the toilet bowl rotates the other way around.
To us in the sunny half of the world, it is the correct way.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 351
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:39 am quote
I hate say, but if you are referring to the World Wide Web,
then a Brit named Tim Berners-Lee did that.
It earned him a knighthhood.

Half the volts, twice the amperage for the same power output.
AFAIK, AC is also safer than DC because it doesn't cause muscles to freeze in contraction.

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2677
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:03 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
I hate say, but if you are referring to the World Wide Web,
then a Brit named Tim Berners-Lee did that.
It earned him a knighthhood.

Half the volts, twice the amperage for the same power output.
AFAIK, AC is also safer than DC because it doesn't cause muscles to freeze in contraction.

Uh, hellllllo, next you'll be telling me we didn't invent English!

Or the ocean.

https://www.history.com/news/who-invented-the-internet
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4871
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 am quote
tdrake wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
I hate say, but if you are referring to the World Wide Web,
then a Brit named Tim Berners-Lee did that.
It earned him a knighthhood.

Half the volts, twice the amperage for the same power output.
AFAIK, AC is also safer than DC because it doesn't cause muscles to freeze in contraction.

Uh, hellllllo, next you'll be telling me we didn't invent English!

Or the ocean.

https://www.history.com/news/who-invented-the-internet
I always thought it was Al Gore? Have I been lied to all these years?
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2144
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:38 am quote
waspmike wrote:
The US will eventually get around to 220 or 240v . It is just a phase they are going through.
I see what you did there...
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Posts: 1766
Location: Finland
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:06 am quote
tdrake wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
I hate say, but if you are referring to the World Wide Web,
then a Brit named Tim Berners-Lee did that.
It earned him a knighthhood.

Half the volts, twice the amperage for the same power output.
AFAIK, AC is also safer than DC because it doesn't cause muscles to freeze in contraction.

Uh, hellllllo, next you'll be telling me we didn't invent English!

Or the ocean.

https://www.history.com/news/who-invented-the-internet
I don't know any celebrities, but I know two guys who have been in interesting places at the right time.

A family friend of mine, a Finn, worked a few years at Cern when they put the WWW in place. Retrospective, how cool must that have been!

https://home.cern/science/computing/birth-web

My other friend from university turned out to be a world class software vizard. There was a small, new business in the US that noticed a young Finn doing magic with code... and hired him based on what they saw in the code and based on few telephone discussions. That company was called Netscape....
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4871
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:19 am quote
RRider wrote:
tdrake wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
I hate say, but if you are referring to the World Wide Web,
then a Brit named Tim Berners-Lee did that.
It earned him a knighthhood.

Half the volts, twice the amperage for the same power output.
AFAIK, AC is also safer than DC because it doesn't cause muscles to freeze in contraction.

Uh, hellllllo, next you'll be telling me we didn't invent English!

Or the ocean.

https://www.history.com/news/who-invented-the-internet
I don't know any celebrities, but I know two guys who have been in interesting places at the right time.

A family friend of mine, a Finn, worked a few years at Cern when they put the WWW in place. Retrospective, how cool must that have been!

https://home.cern/science/computing/birth-web

My other friend from university turned out to be a world class software vizard. There was a small, new business in the US that noticed a young Finn doing magic with code... and hired him based on what they saw in the code and based on few telephone discussions. That company was called Netscape....
Funny that celebrity talk comes up. I'm just getting home after spending over an hour talking to an ex NHL player and his wife over beers. About my age and we did talk hockey though mostly junior as we had that in common. We also talked about a lot of other stuff we have in common and the best part is we are all animal lovers and donate to many of the same charities. Both he and his wife were great people. Don't ask me who though as TBH his name didn't come up just some of the guys he played with and the cities he lived in. He was a bit of an enforcer so a dying breed. I'll say one thing about Toronto and where I live, you meet a lot of interesting people.
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 2467
Location: Carrollton, Kentucky
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:30 am quote
Time to head to summer! This crap showed up overnight. Leaving Monday, brief (12 hrs) layover in SFO, then off to AKL.

IMG_4317.JPG
Out the back door. I know this ain't squat to you Upper US folks, but I'm taking it personally.

IMG_4306.JPG
Mrs Wmak was out of town when the travel pillow she ordered arrived, she told me to try it out. I told her it was unsatisfactory.

56874827217__2456BFDC-C130-4F1F-AD69-6921125E7D13.JPG
She told me to take it out of the box. Made all he difference.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8327
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:40 am quote
Buen viaje!
And you wonder why married men live longer?

That's going to be one long flight.
OTOH, think of all the FF miles you're accumulating!

In the Great Unwhite North here, we're down to a few patches of icy snow. Ain't fair, I tell ya!
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 2467
Location: Carrollton, Kentucky
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:24 am quote
FF miles cashed in for the flights, so no further accrual. Just have to depend on the credit card points. We decided to break up the flight over into two segments, we'll see how that goes.
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
[ Time: 0.4501s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0757s) ][ Debug on ]