UTC

Hooked
PX125E

Hooked
@worrywort avatar
PX125E
UTC quote
Hello.
whilst decoking the barrel, I noticed the stub which fits into the exhaust pipe is flat across the end. this will act as a step which I assume would affect the return pressure wave.
Is there any advantage to rounding it off and slightly tapering it?

That's the question now the answer to another problem. the barrel is original and has about 3000 miles on it, the piston showed signs of blow by and the barrel hone marks are still clearly visible. I did a bit of research and fitted new rings, gave the bore a light hone. it's assembled dry. I'm going to ride it gently until the engine's up to temperature and then ride like I stole it
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
That's a good point on the exhaust, I never considered that. I am absolutely positive there is no way you would ever tell the difference before and after, however it fits in with my IIEWNDI method (if it's easy why not do it?) Razz emoticon
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Re: barrel question and answer.
worrywort wrote:
Hello.
whilst decoking the barrel, I noticed the stub which fits into the exhaust pipe is flat across the end. this will act as a step which I assume would affect the return pressure wave.
Is there any advantage to rounding it off and slightly tapering it?

That's the question now the answer to another problem. the barrel is original and has about 3000 miles on it, the piston showed signs of blow by and the barrel hone marks are still clearly visible. I did a bit of research and fitted new rings, gave the bore a light hone. it's assembled dry. I'm going to ride it gently until the engine's up to temperature and then ride like I stole it
Read up on motorcycle break in. Works if you live in a hilly place.
@fatamy avatar
UTC

Hooked
59" Allstate

Hooked
@fatamy avatar
59" Allstate
UTC quote
Back in the day I had a neighbor that raced motocross, He and his dad would re-ring both bikes ( 2 strokers ) on Friday evening before the Saturday races, They pulled the cylinder, installed new rings, applied a light spray of WD-40 in the cylinder and stuck it back together without any honing of the cylinder.
It seemed to work well for them, Mike was always the kid with all the trophies.
OP
@worrywort avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX125E

Hooked
@worrywort avatar
PX125E
UTC quote
Re-think
Hello.
Your replies have made me re-think my grand statement.
I looked a bit further at running in.
Yes WD-40, dry barrel etc but one important detail I overlooked.
All the methods I had read was Motocross engines.

I'm not going to thrash my scooter for a couple of hours and strip the engine every time. Rather than assemble dry I'm going to use "Assembly oil" on the rings. I'd never heard of the stuff and thanks to you posters prompting me to look deeper.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0486s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0206s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]