Seat sensor not bypassed, but engine starts when not seated
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Piaggio MP3 250
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 pm quote
Been looking into tilt lock not working and have found much info here but haven't found this anywhere to date. The new to me scotter (3 days ago) is on its stand and the tilt lock is off. I can start the engine standing next to it without any warnings and I can jump on and ride it. The seat connector is connected and never been bypassed, but doesn't appear to be working, but it also doesn't stop me from riding it. If I try to lock the fork, it won't lock and I get the warning light with a 5 sec beep and 2 seconds between beeps. Not sure if the 2 are related or not. I tested the micro switch continuity this morning and found the switch appears closed and not open like it should be. That may be the tilt lock problem or not, but the seat sensor baffles me because if it's not bypassed, but also not working so the bike shouldn't start.
Hooked
MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:20 pm quote
Seat sensor
Hello Winterhawk. Sorry to tell you this, but the impie is supposed to be able to start even if your'e not sitting on it. It will just spit and splutter and won't go anywhere if your'e not sitting on the saddle no matter how much gas you give it. Once you on the saddle it closes the circuit and the scooter will be able to move. It's a safety feature.

Piaggio MP3 250
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:18 pm quote
Okay, my mistake, but when not sitting on the saddle I can Rev the engine to any RPM I want. So now I know the starting is okay but why can it Rev above 2000?
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:51 pm quote
You can rev it when not sitting on the saddle when the tilt lock is off. If the tilt lock is on and you're not on the seat, the rev limiter to 2000 kicks in and it sputters and pops. This keeps you from revving the bike while tilt-locked and having it lurch away. If it's on the center stand, no problem with revving it. If you're sitting on it, revving it forces the tilt lock to unlock.

It sounds like everything is working properly with the rev limiter, it's just a problem with the tilt-lock. Has it ever been able to lock?
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:29 pm quote
Exactly right Squeazel!
Piaggio MP3 250
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:52 pm quote
It doesn't matter if the tilt lock is on or off it still revs above 2000. I can put the the tilt lock on, stand by the bike and Rev above 2000 and the tilt lock turns off. At least the light turns off, but the tilt lock still doesn't work. I'm working on that now. I bought the scooter knowing it didn't work. The bike had been sitting for 2 years. Adding gas and a new battery and it started right up. It had been serviced with all new fluids just before being put it in storage. I need to change all fluids again, but would like to diagnose the tilt lock first. The seat sensor thing was one thing I was obviously very confused about. This is actually my wife's scooter, but by default I get to make it all work and be safe. Like many here I'm not near a dealer so that makes this forum very useful.
Hooked
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:07 pm quote
Hello Winterhawk. You said yourself that you had a problem with a switch on the tiltlock. So if it`s not working properly then it may also revv with the tiltlock on. Change that Switch out. It doesn`t coust that much and is most likley the reason for your pain. If the problem still exists, then take it to a Piaggio werkshop. Maybe they can help you. Good luck!
Hooked
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:24 pm quote
Hello Winterhawk. I just reread your first post and it looks like it is definitely that microswitch that is cause of your pain. Change it. Please let us know if it
that was the problem for future reference. Please do not do anything with the seat sensor until the problem with the tiltlock is ironed out. If the problem is still there, then we`ll talk about the seat sensor. Okay? One problem after the other. P.S. Please don`t this as a personal afront. I am only trying to help.

Caio Bello
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:53 am quote
I agree with Hillbilly Fred- I think the rev limiter may fix itself once the tilt lock is fixed. A common problem is that the pressure switch leaks and then air gets in the hydraulic system, then nothing works and it blows the horn and causes all sorts of problems. Check for brake fluid around the pressure switch, and if it's leaking, then the switch needs to be replaced. Then you'll need to bleed the system, which is a PITA. It needs to be done by pushing fluid from the bottom on both sides, but once that's done, you're golden. Also make sure your battery is healthy; I've heard of problems in the tilt-lock system caused by a weak battery too.
Piaggio MP3 250
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:12 am quote
Squeazel wrote:
I agree with Hillbilly Fred- I think the rev limiter may fix itself once the tilt lock is fixed. A common problem is that the pressure switch leaks and then air gets in the hydraulic system, then nothing works and it blows the horn and causes all sorts of problems. Check for brake fluid around the pressure switch, and if it's leaking, then the switch needs to be replaced. Then you'll need to bleed the system, which is a PITA. It needs to be done by pushing fluid from the bottom on both sides, but once that's done, you're golden. Also make sure your battery is healthy; I've heard of problems in the tilt-lock system caused by a weak battery too.
Battery is brand new and voltage is excellent. Not getting the horn warning, the brake fluid is normal, and the pressure switch is clean and no leaks apparent. The microswitch appears to be closed and should be open so I'll look at that. Last night I disconnected the gear motor and applied 12v and the motor wouldn't operate at all. Because it was sitting so long I wonder if the motor gear is stuck/frozen. It's all very clean and shows no signs of corrosion, water, leaking brake fluid, etc. I know all that means nothing at this point so I'll just take it one item at a time until I solve it.

Thanks to everyone! One more thing, an online search found several places to buy parts, but none showed the microswitch. Is it always best to buy from or contact the dealer first, or are there good suppliers in North America I can trust?
Hooked
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:40 am quote
Try eBay first . You might get lucky and get it cheaper. Stranger things have been known to happen (Like finding a needle in a hey stack )
Piaggio MP3 250
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:32 pm quote
I removed the microswitch this morning to test while not connected and removed from bracket. The switch works perfectly but the manual I downloaded here from Wiki has me confused (I get confused easily). Anyway it says "adjust the cable so the switch is pushed when the system is unlocked". The schematic shows that the switch is normally open, but is that normally open when locked or unlocked? I believe the switch is supposed to be closed when in the unlocked position and when the lever moves during the locking it's supposed to open. If that is the case I can move on from the microswitch and move to the geared motor as the possible problem. Thanks in advance.
Hooked
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:27 pm quote
Hello Winterhawk. You'll have to do a trail and error on that one. I must grudgingly admit that I've never needed to do it myself, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. If you manage it though please post for future reference. Okay? Thanks.
Piaggio MP3 250
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:13 pm quote
Now that the tilt lock is working I just wanted to say that the seat sensor works as it should as well. Everything is back to normal, new microswitch arrived today and is now installed, just need to put all the body panels back on. Only known issue is the right front tire loosing 5 psi per day. Will leak test it after all the panels are back on.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2223s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0252s) ][ Debug on ]