So first thing I did was put my eyes over the whole thing, from front to back. Some hokey stuff had been done to it - including that custom rack attached at the bottom of the fender, and a mirror mount that rubs the shifter?!? The key is rusted in the glove box and a chunk of legtrim is missing from the left side of the legshield. There is also surface rust starting in various places. Oh, and the tires were flat - I put air in them - we'll see if they hold air.
I gently pushed down on the kickstarter - the engine is free. Upon opening the gas I was greeted with the smell of turpentine, not decent gas.
So my next steps are as follows:
1) Quick wash so I'm not grinding in ancient grime.
2) Pull battery and replace.
3) Pull tank and drain. - when I do this I'll check the fuel tap to ensure it's working properly. BTW, it has the plastic lever type.
4) Pull carb, clean, rebuild, and reinstall. (I wonder if it's a 20/20 or 24/24?). I'll soon find out.
5) Replace fuel and oil lines.
6) Replace gear oil.
7) Remove mirror mount that is interferring with shifting.
Get some oil into key hole and get key to turn easily.
9) Maybe replace fuel tap and lever, or reinstall existing and install tank.
10) Check clearance of rotary pad to crankshaft < .010 mm
11) Reinstall carb box and carb.
12) Make sure cables at least work.
13) Kick it over and get it running!!!
We'll see how the list goes. Every list I've ever made changes about twenty times before I get the stuff checked off. OK, on with the pictures!
This is a picture I got from the current owner.
It just arrived at my house. UShip from Portland.
No love since 83!
Closeup of the edge trim missing and some sort of accident in that area. Rust is starting...
Plastic fuel tap.
Leg trim missing - what to do, what to do???
Mirror interfering with shifting - whaaatttt?!??
Surface rust starting.
Key rusted in glovbox and surface rust starting.
Found a helmet in the trunk.
A set of original tools in a damp pillowcase in the glovebox. The screws that hold the glovebox on are rusted.
Whats up with the wiring loom poking out the hole? Gotta straighten that out.
Last edited by qascooter on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total