GS 160 Front/Rear hub differences
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 1143
Location: Siam
Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:12 am quote
Does anyone know how the front and rear brake drums on GS 160 differ? I can't see any differences between the front and rear I have on my bike. Are there any differences? Maybe that's what I should be asking.
Addicted
1959 VBA, 1963 VBB2
Joined: 05 Oct 2009
Posts: 910
Location: Vietnam, Birthplace of the hemorrhoid
Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 am quote
They are the same.

Cheers
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 1143
Location: Siam
Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:37 am quote
barking mad wrote:
They are the same.

Cheers
If that's the case, then why do ebay vendors specify front/rear in English, and anteriore/posteriore in Italian?
Banned
2:6
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 7466
Location: San Francisco
Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 am quote
Check the book

http://scooterhelp.com/serial/VSB1T.parts.html
Molto Verboso
Joined: 15 Nov 2008
Posts: 1896
Location: Seattle
Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 am quote
Re: GS 160 Front/Rear hub differences
nomadinsiam wrote:
Does anyone know how the front and rear brake drums on GS 160 differ? I can't see any differences between the front and rear I have on my bike. Are there any differences? Maybe that's what I should be asking.
they mount to the shaft differently.
Banned
2:6
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 7466
Location: San Francisco
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 am quote
Re: GS 160 Front/Rear hub differences
rob hodge wrote:
nomadinsiam wrote:
Does anyone know how the front and rear brake drums on GS 160 differ? I can't see any differences between the front and rear I have on my bike. Are there any differences? Maybe that's what I should be asking.
they mount to the shaft differently.
That's what I recalled from memory as well, but looking at the parts book they do look to be the same. Both are PN 56168
Molto Verboso
Joined: 15 Nov 2008
Posts: 1896
Location: Seattle
Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 pm quote
Re: GS 160 Front/Rear hub differences
oopsclunkthud wrote:
rob hodge wrote:
nomadinsiam wrote:
Does anyone know how the front and rear brake drums on GS 160 differ? I can't see any differences between the front and rear I have on my bike. Are there any differences? Maybe that's what I should be asking.
they mount to the shaft differently.
That's what I recalled from memory as well, but looking at the parts book they do look to be the same. Both are PN 56168
hrm.. now that you mention it, i think they truly might be the same. haven't had to compare a set of those in ages.
Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 2201
Location: San Antonio, TX
Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:50 pm quote
They are the same.
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 1143
Location: Siam
Addicted
1959 VBA, 1963 VBB2
Joined: 05 Oct 2009
Posts: 910
Location: Vietnam, Birthplace of the hemorrhoid
Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:57 pm quote
They are the same. People on Ebay do not necessarily know what they are talking about. I have researched this intensively for a project of mine.

Cheers
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 1143
Location: Siam
Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:14 pm quote
barking mad wrote:
They are the same. People on Ebay do not necessarily know what they are talking about. I have researched this intensively for a project of mine.

Cheers
The reading I've done shows they are the same as well. I've measured both with calipers every which way and they appear the same. The brake shoes as well are not front/rear specific. If a drum had been run on a bike for years on the rear axle, and then it was one day changed to be run on the front axle, would there be any adverse effect?
Addicted
1959 VBA, 1963 VBB2
Joined: 05 Oct 2009
Posts: 910
Location: Vietnam, Birthplace of the hemorrhoid
Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:18 pm quote
I doubt you would be able to tell any difference.
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 1143
Location: Siam
Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:16 pm quote
I found the part #56168 for front or rear. Now I guess I wonder why vendors state "front" or "rear".

Anyhow, thanks all, for the posts and reassurances.
Member
1967 180 SuperSport, 1954 Allstate 125, RD400, RZ350... and more
Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 28
Location: San Francisco, CA
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:36 pm quote
Quote:
The brake shoes as well are not front/rear specific
Nope. Front brake shoes share a pivot while rear brake shoes have individual pivots.

Front: http://scooterhelp.com/manuals/VSB1T.VSC1T.parts.manual/138.jpg
Rear: http://scooterhelp.com/manuals/VSB1T.VSC1T.parts.manual/042.jpg

Same drum front and rear though, which seem unique to GS/SS and are NLA.
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 1143
Location: Siam
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:06 am quote
strontiumj wrote:
Quote:
The brake shoes as well are not front/rear specific
Nope. Front brake shoes share a pivot while rear brake shoes have individual pivots.

Front: http://scooterhelp.com/manuals/VSB1T.VSC1T.parts.manual/138.jpg
Rear: http://scooterhelp.com/manuals/VSB1T.VSC1T.parts.manual/042.jpg

Same drum front and rear though, which seem unique to GS/SS and are NLA.
Indeed.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1305s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0382s) ][ Debug on ]