@ecto_aircooler avatar
UTC

Hooked
Beetle

Hooked
@ecto_aircooler avatar
Beetle
UTC quote
Ever since I got tangled up in this Vespa game I have noticed I now seem to have formed a daily ritual with checking Craigslist and ebay for Vespa carbs and local Vespas. I am sure I am not the only one who does this now and I am wondering where else people look and how long do you spent thumbing though listings on a regular basis.

Mine is not too bad yet in searching for a P200 I just check Craigslist see the same 3 over polished 2 tone bodges, and the listings with a picture of a Vespa but its the Redd Fox of motorcycles making 100 postings acting for old scooters and cycles and reselling the cheap ones for huge markup. As for Ebay I just look for carbs as it is (They wont make em for ever!) Which I am a hoarder of these things sitting on like 5 VW Beetle carbs 2 of which aren't even for my engines.
@jedihunter avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
66 bluebadge,primavera,2x 74 rally,79 p200e 64 gl 306 2x 64 vbb

Enthusiast
@jedihunter avatar
UTC quote
There is a fairly nice 1979 p125x for sale on Craigslist in Loveland Co. Decent price, and could be tuned or swap in a p200 motor .
https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/d/loveland-vespa-p125x-piaggio-1979/6799923063.html
P200s in this area go for 1500- 2500$ for decent condition,. You will see many more postings in the spring.
This time of year I check CL once a week, spring and summer, daily.
J.
OP
@ecto_aircooler avatar
UTC

Hooked
Beetle

Hooked
@ecto_aircooler avatar
Beetle
UTC quote
jedihunter wrote:
There is a fairly nice 1979 p125x for sale on Craigslist in Loveland Co. Decent price, and could be tuned or swap in a p200 motor .
https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/d/loveland-vespa-p125x-piaggio-1979/6799923063.html
P200s in this area go for 1500- 2500$ for decent condition,. You will see many more postings in the spring.
This time of year I check CL once a week, spring and summer, daily.
J.
Yeah i was looking at this one but my main problem is transportation as i don't have a truck or know anyone with one anymore, haha. And I dont know if I could cram one into my little beetle..... maybe if I took the seats out but that still would be pushing it.

The other problem with that scooter is tracking down a P200 engine I feel I dont see many for sale that aren't super costly unless im looking in the wrong places. Half of this thread was trying to see where others look for scooters and their parts
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
I pretty much go to eBay daily mostly looking at Peter's Ricambi auction site. I have literally rebuilt all four of my Vespas with parts from his inexhaustible ongoing supply of original and nos parts. It absolutely amazes me what he puts up on his auction site.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Not Vespa but Ural. Currently going over everything I can add and there are just way too many choices. Going to be hard for me to decide what I am going to want in the final build.

I'd look at scoots but have no room left after the Ural . My Vespa has pretty much every accessory I wanted added already.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Ecto Aircooler wrote:
And I dont know if I could cram one into my little beetle..... maybe if I took the seats out but that still would be pushing it.
You just gotta get creative...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Ecto Aircooler wrote:
And I dont know if I could cram one into my little beetle..... maybe if I took the seats out but that still would be pushing it.
You just gotta get creative...
Yeah. I don't see the problem. My best haul was TWO smallies(in pieces) plus a passenger in a VW Golf, ALL inside the car w/ hatch closed. That was getting crowded but I was comfy. Only seat was for me, the driver.

Just take out passenger seats, insert scooter and drive... like these guys: Pic Thread : Best Cram Shot...
OP
@ecto_aircooler avatar
UTC

Hooked
Beetle

Hooked
@ecto_aircooler avatar
Beetle
UTC quote
The more I look at it the better it looks I mean I would have to purge fuel first, I dont know about oil, But if I took the fork off of the vespa I might be able to slide it in the problem though is the weight and that angle.

But in reality I am willing to pay an little extra for a P200 as with that one I would have to source an engine and then deal with this smaller spare. THEN I can try to cram that one into my little bug

Though the biggest problem its an AIR COOLED beetle so no fancy hatches to fit it in, just the doors.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Ecto Aircooler wrote:
Though the biggest problem its an AIR COOLED beetle so no fancy hatches to fit it in, just the doors.
I used my 76 baja bug (beetle with a baja kit) for work for a time (tile setter). Like Voodoo said, pull the passenger seat and their is a fair amount of room. You could also replace the back seat with a piece of plywood and that'll gain you all kinds of room. But the passenger seat needs to be removed. You got this!

Oh, here is a pic of my old bug - sniff...
1976 VW 1600cc. Heater and Wind shield wipers worked for runs down the beach during storms. Very fun. Sold it to buy a work truck.
1976 VW 1600cc. Heater and Wind shield wipers worked for runs down the beach during storms. Very fun. Sold it to buy a work truck.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Ecto Aircooler wrote:
The more I look at it the better it looks I mean I would have to purge fuel first, I dont know about oil, But if I took the fork off of the vespa I might be able to slide it in the problem though is the weight and that angle.

Option A, bring a 13mm socket, a flat blade screwdriver, a funnel, and a gas can. Remove the tank, using the funnel, pour the gas into the gas can. If the gas is still good, pour it into the car's gas tank. Option B, siphon the gas out of the scooter's gas tank and into a gas can. Use option A for removing oil from the reservoir if it's leaking past the cap when the scooter is laying on its side.
OP
@ecto_aircooler avatar
UTC

Hooked
Beetle

Hooked
@ecto_aircooler avatar
Beetle
UTC quote
Yeah purging fluids would not be too hard, the biggest problem is just LIFTING the thing into a bug unless I made a ramp for it. I am just 50% sure I need to remove the fork as well as these cars where not made to haul stuff like this, just people and people are able to be squished
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Drivers seat slid all the way to the dash and folded into the steering wheel, then through the passenger door! Too bad somebody isn't close by so you could do a test run...
@jedihunter avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@jedihunter avatar
UTC quote
If you find one down my way( Ft. Collins, Denver), I could help with transport. I know it will fit in the back of a truck .
Here is one just north of Denver https://boulder.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1983-vespa-piaggio-p200-scooter-made-in/6779090809.html
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I used to have a Honda Element. It was a fantastic scooter hauling machine. Take the rearview mirrors off and roll 'em right into the back. I built a little ramp for it to make things easy, too.

And it had a vinyl floor, so even if something dripped, you could wipe it right up.

Naturally, my wife hated that car. Said it smelled like a garage.
OP
@ecto_aircooler avatar
UTC

Hooked
Beetle

Hooked
@ecto_aircooler avatar
Beetle
UTC quote
jedihunter wrote:
If you find one down my way( Ft. Collins, Denver), I could help with transport. I know it will fit in the back of a truck .
Here is one just north of Denver https://boulder.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1983-vespa-piaggio-p200-scooter-made-in/6779090809.html
I have looked at that listing but honestly a listing posted twice with no pictures is kinda shifty too me, haha. But I might have to take you up on that offer later on!
chandlerman wrote:
I used to have a Honda Element. It was a fantastic scooter hauling machine. Take the rearview mirrors off and roll 'em right into the back. I built a little ramp for it to make things easy, too.

And it had a vinyl floor, so even if something dripped, you could wipe it right up.

Naturally, my wife hated that car. Said it smelled like a garage.
Well thats no problem here Bugs always smell of oil fuel and a little bit like old exhaust!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
pics found
Ecto Aircooler wrote:
I usually load thru the passenger side front door. Challenging, but doable alone w/ a ramp and this is when I wish I had a two door which has bigger doors . I had a '57 bug and it seems it wasn't a lot smaller than my Golf inside. Big end up front alongside you and shorter end in back. Try to get help, MUCH easier w/ two ppl getting the heavy ass end into the back. For a large frame, removing kickstart lever and wheels can help. Bring old blankets, cusions and or carpet scraps and straps to stabilize it upright

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

PS: What the hell is this thing? External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Why'd you load the scooter in a car when you had a perfectly good ship right there? Razz emoticon
OP
@ecto_aircooler avatar
UTC

Hooked
Beetle

Hooked
@ecto_aircooler avatar
Beetle
UTC quote
Re: pics found
V oodoo wrote:
Ecto Aircooler wrote:
I usually load thru the passenger side front door. Challenging, but doable alone w/ a ramp and this is when I wish I had a two door which has bigger doors . I had a '57 bug and it seems it wasn't a lot smaller than my Golf inside. Big end up front alongside you and shorter end in back. Try to get help, MUCH easier w/ two ppl getting the heavy ass end into the back. For a large frame, removing kickstart lever and wheels can help. Bring old blankets, cusions and or carpet scraps and straps to stabilize it upright

PS: What the hell is this thing? External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Yeah I am thinking its possible im not sure about it resting upwards but laying down wrapping around the drivers seat would be easy I feel, Taking off wheels and forks though would make it 100% easier though besides the dead lift, haha.

Also thats the Particle thrower from Ghostbusters!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Pulling the headset & fork is a pain and probably unnecessary to fit if you lay it over. Remove the cowls & kickstart lever to lay the motor side down on a cushion.
chandlerman wrote:
Why'd you load the scooter in a car when you had a perfectly good ship right there? Razz emoticon
I wanted to but I'd have to pay for another vehicle ticket to ride the scoot onto the ferry, in the car it rides for free! 8) But I do like the way you think.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1007s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0655s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]