2018/19 GTS 300 question, mostly about matte paint
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
No scoot at the moment, but thinking GTS 300, 2017 V-Strom 650
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:17 pm quote
Hi All,

I haven't started a thread in.....no idea; many years. But i'm going to dip into the well of knowledge and opinion and ask a question.

I'm tempted to get another Vespa to compliment the V-Strom 650. MC for longer / off-pavement duty, Vespa for general mucking about and errands. Plus, I feel I need something Italian back in my life, now that my Fiat 500 is gone (oops, off topic already in my own thread).

So, one local dealer has 2018 GTS's in red, black and a SS in the matte grigio titanium. 2019 GTS in white as well. SS is only $100.00 more as 2018's & 2019 are the same price. There is also a 2018 Sei Giorni in a soft matte vintage green but I'm not really fond of the fender mounted headlight, or the smaller, vintage-style instrument panel. Good price though, and the color is tres cool. I know there is no mechanical difference.

I don't feel the need to get the 2020 HPE; I like the multi-year testing already done on the current engine. Besides, I think Scooterwest has taken the global supply of 2020's already.

I had a red 2006 GTS 250 years ago. I'm not likely to buy black, so I'm looking at the red or matte grigo 2018 or the white 2019. I like the matte color, and the SS is appealing, but I'm reading only cautionary tales about matte paint.

Can I ask matte paint Vespa owners to offer some advice and opinions based on experience? Seems that touch up is virtually impossible, that few body shops can do matte paint and that it may even be difficult to get. Granted, shinny red or white is no picnic to touch up either, so that point may be moot. I'm not totally neurotic about cosmetics, but I do try and keep things looking good and I take good care of them. But first hand experience is extremely valuable, so here I am.

Thanks all for your time and assistance.
2008 GTS 250
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm quote
Not sure specifically about the Vespa paint, but I've painted a car in matte black, and it looks great for a while, then any rub areas get glossy, it's impossible to fix scratches, and starts to look chalky after a while. Overall I wouldn't do it again. BTW, love my Strom 650.
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:00 pm quote
Your points about matte paint is correct. I had a matte black GTS, sprayed it with Windex every now and then , with a quick wipe was looking good. But wouldn't get it again. There is something special and intimate about a wax and polish.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:14 pm quote
Probably mostly just personal preference, but many plastic bodied scooters come in matte finish. Among scooters, only the metal bodied Vespas come in a beautiful near-perfect gloss finish that glistens in the sun. Vespas and gloss paint seem to go together. Why miss out on that special look?
Hooked
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm quote
Love it! 9 min on the board, 15 views and two good replies. Thanks guys.

I'm in the middle of the retirement transition; this weekend my office is empty, and the company sold. Taking the Stromboli to the Island for an introductory off road course to minimize damage to bike and body.

I decided I wouldn't jump on a scoot until the weekend chaos subsides, and until I get pokes and prods from the mod vespa clan. 'Go forth in Gloss, young man'.... stuff like that. Which I think will be the consensus. But I know there is much good opinion still to come.

Cheers all.

Last edited by Fencing Fan on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:14 pm quote
I have a matte GTV Sei Giorni and if could have chosen I would have gotten the Gloss Portofino Green GTV. Indeed impossible to get rid of minor scratches because you cannot polish it, touch up paint does not work well and stains easily.
Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:35 pm quote
I have an 18 Titanium Grigio. You are correct. It is impossible to touch up, but then again I have experienced the same in all types. After a dismount I had to touch up the front fender. Looked sort of OK. I ended up putting wrap.

1AAF6E6C-A115-4B6E-8887-D5F05D23802D.jpeg

ACAE14E2-4838-471C-B33E-18611E58674A.jpeg

Hooked
2009 GTV 250, 2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:51 pm quote
Soul Surfer wrote:
I have an 18 Titanium Grigio. You are correct. It is impossible to touch up, but then again I have experienced the same in all types. After a dismount I had to touch up the front fender. Looked sort of OK. I ended up putting wrap.
That is a great idea!
Enthusiast
2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:40 pm quote
Iíve got a Ď17 in matte grey and I love it. No problems so far. It lives in a garage and Iíve had zero mishaps with it. Bought some of that high dollar matte finish stuff but never put it on. Maybe one day. Had a 5 foot girl with 8 gallons of lotion on her legs ride behind me one day and she slicked up the sides. Washed right off. I donít doubt the dangers of having matte paint but I believe with care Iíll never have problems and the color is awesome.
Hooked
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:16 pm quote
Thanks for the excellent posts. Thanks also to @rob g for the positive thoughts and experience.

PS: send pics of legs.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:22 pm quote
I have a Triumph with a matte green tank.

I really like the color, but yeah, it's different from a gloss paint.

Gloss ones are easier to keep "even colored", whether it is about scratches, abrasion or cleaning. Matte not so well....so it suits the best for folks who don't mind a bit of "character" in the paint, or creative thinking like Soul Surfer's patch.

I have also matte fenders, but thankfully they are plastic. I've already polished the rear one gloss at some points with my... mmm.. creative ways of tying things up. Well, that just adds a bit character and as it is plastic it won't rust anyway...

IMG_20190601_142923__01__01.jpg

Hooked
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:58 pm quote
Re: 2018/19 GTS 300 question, mostly about matte paint
Fencing Fan wrote:
Hi All,

I haven't started a thread in.....no idea; many years. But i'm going to dip into the well of knowledge and opinion and ask a question.

I'm tempted to get another Vespa to compliment the V-Strom 650. MC for longer / off-pavement duty, Vespa for general mucking about and errands. Plus, I feel I need something Italian back in my life, now that my Fiat 500 is gone (oops, off topic already in my own thread).

So, one local dealer has 2018 GTS's in red, black and a SS in the matte grigio titanium. 2019 GTS in white as well. SS is only $100.00 more as 2018's & 2019 are the same price. There is also a 2018 Sei Giorni in a soft matte vintage green but I'm not really fond of the fender mounted headlight, or the smaller, vintage-style instrument panel. Good price though, and the color is tres cool. I know there is no mechanical difference.

I don't feel the need to get the 2020 HPE; I like the multi-year testing already done on the current engine. Besides, I think Scooterwest has taken the global supply of 2020's already.

I had a red 2006 GTS 250 years ago. I'm not likely to buy black, so I'm looking at the red or matte grigo 2018 or the white 2019. I like the matte color, and the SS is appealing, but I'm reading only cautionary tales about matte paint.

Can I ask matte paint Vespa owners to offer some advice and opinions based on experience? Seems that touch up is virtually impossible, that few body shops can do matte paint and that it may even be difficult to get. Granted, shinny red or white is no picnic to touch up either, so that point may be moot. I'm not totally neurotic about cosmetics, but I do try and keep things looking good and I take good care of them. But first hand experience is extremely valuable, so here I am.

Thanks all for your time and assistance.
Gday mate.
I had a matte grey. Great looking scoot but for everyday use for which mine was i found it difficult to maintain. Used to wash it in just a wash agent. Not wash and wax and then dry it off and that was it. Piaggio here in Australia at the time didnt even offer touch up paint. They sell a matre grey painted bike but no touch up! That's piaggio for you. I ended up clear coating it which looked nice but I still wasnt happy with it. Sprayed it brilliant white in the end and much prefer it. A nicy shiny scoot!

1asbuilki3v36.jpg

20170717_144428~3.jpg

PicsArt_02-21-11.50.34.jpg

Hooked
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:21 am quote
Re: 2018/19 GTS 300 question, mostly about matte paint
tom jones wrote:
Gday mate.
I had a matte grey. Great looking scoot but for everyday use for which mine was i found it difficult to maintain. Used to wash it in just a wash agent. Not wash and wax and then dry it off and that was it. Piaggio here in Australia at the time didnt even offer touch up paint. They sell a matre grey painted bike but no touch up! That's piaggio for you. I ended up clear coating it which looked nice but I still wasnt happy with it. Sprayed it brilliant white in the end and much prefer it. A nicy shiny scoot!
Thanks tom jones and @RRider,

I think you both add to the general consensus that the matte paint is nice when new but probably better on a bike that is treated very carefully or else owned by someone who is more casual about the paint. I dislike having things that are too precious, and I regard my bikes as useful, practical transportation, rather than delicate toys.

As much as I find the titanium grey appealing, I think I'll go to the red or white. It may not be ultimately much better than matte, but they will also have the advantage of being more visible.

I appreciate all the experience and opinions offered.
Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:35 am quote
Just ride the darn thing :-)
After the last dismount, Donatello developed some "character". I have since stopped worrying so much of his appearance, notwithstanding the obvious (read: dents, etc.), and just ride the fat little devil, as much as possible, weather permitting.

I do love the appearance of the matte paint, though.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2781s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0359s) ][ Debug on ]