OP
@davidslane avatar
UTC

1981 Vespa P200E

@davidslane avatar
1981 Vespa P200E
UTC quote
Looking into purchasing this model, would appreciate any feedback or experience with it! Cheers
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
A P200 is a good solid scoot, vintage but maybe not considered classic (some plastic parts, a bit angular for some vintage enthusiasts). And it was still manufactured until recently, if I'm not mistaken.

Plus factors:
Electronic Ignition
Reasonably fast (can top out over 55mph)
Reasonably simple to work on
Shares many similarities with older 2 stroke Vespa

Minus factors:
No electric start (some later PX models have this)
Electrical system is wonky on some
2 Stroke, so not so environmental friendly
Cable actuated drum brakes, easy to maintain, no grand stopping power

I would consider it a really good first vintage scooter. I have had one as my first (and only) scoot for the past 6 seasons, and the only time it failed to start was when it was out of gas.

I only ride mine for fun, sunny days when I'm not in a hurry to get somewhere.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
Larrytsg wrote:
...the only time it failed to start was when it was out of gas.
The only time my PX fails to start is when I forget to turn the ignition key on before I kick start. Either that or the fuel tap.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
Re: Thoughts on 1981 Vespa P200e
davidslane wrote:
Looking into purchasing this model, would appreciate any feedback or experience with it! Cheers
Welcome to ModernVespa! I've purchased two P200s in the last year. The first one is an absolute dream. I actually had Voodoo check it out and buy it for me, then my. Ephew picked it up and delivered. Here is the thread: P200e - this time for real! (Ruby's Thread)

My latest scooter didn't run when purchased and turns out it'll need a fair amount more work to get it going. Here is that thread Getting an old Vespa (P200) back on the road - Feebs thread

And most importantly, read this thread Things to Consider before Buying a Vintage Vespa

These shiftys are great machines and I much prefer over a "modern" scooter, but that is just my preference.

Good luck and fill us in on what you get, or what you're interested in getting - pictures are always nice!
@octobogs avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P200E

Hooked
@octobogs avatar
1979 P200E
UTC quote
Agree with everything mentioned here. P200s are probably the best vintage bike to get for your first one. But get a vespa guy to go with you when checking it out. Or at the least, post some pictures here so we can point out things to be aware of. And watch out for those bodges!!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
hen's teeth
Sounds like you've got one lined up. A few pics & the asking price will get you lots of good feedback.

They are a great model, pretty much like all the older large frame models but fully evolved. More power and more features like autolube and built in turn signals. Most civilians can't tell the difference between these anyway except maybe those turn signals or the plastic horncast.
Octobogs wrote:
... And watch out for those bodges!!
This got me to wondering, ANYBODY ever see a SEA bodged P anywhere? Were P's ever shipped to Viet Nam? Don't think so but I'm unsure.
⚠️ Last edited by V oodoo on UTC; edited 1 time
@primavera130 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa P200, Primavera 130, VNA200, Italjet Pack-a-Way Moped, Ciao etc

Hooked
@primavera130 avatar
Vespa P200, Primavera 130, VNA200, Italjet Pack-a-Way Moped, Ciao etc
UTC quote
Octobogs wrote:
But get a vespa guy to go with you when checking it out. Or at the least, post some pictures here so we can point out things to be aware of. And watch out for those bodges!!
There are a few scooter guys in Bako, I'm not sure if there's a club, but I know some friends who used to live in Portland are there now.
I'll look and see if they are interested in helping out.
OP
@davidslane avatar
UTC

1981 Vespa P200E

@davidslane avatar
1981 Vespa P200E
UTC quote
primavera130, I would appreciate any local connections thrown my way... kinda small town so probably know the same people somewhere along the lines! Thanks
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
When looking for an older scoot, don't fall in love with shiny. Look for an honest everyday rider. Something that's currently on the road, running, and riding. The trailer queen or garage queen will have issues with rotting seals or any other number of issues that a running riding scoot won't.

Ask a bunch of questions of the sellers, and pay attention to the answers. A good seller can tell you how recently he rode, and how much. He can tell you what's new on the scoot, and what needs to be replaced or repaired. And whether or not he did his own work, he can tell you why something was replaced, and hopefully can justify the choices of parts or modifications.

For example, I can tell you that my scoot (1979 P200) is a sunny weekend ride. I repaired the wiring lugs at the battery, and the battery is fresh. It probably needs new brake shoes. The tires are 2 years old, SIP tire/wheel combo. The scoot runs best when the fuel tap is in the "reserve" position. The front brake lever does not actuate the brake lights (not sure if this is a problem or a design feature). The neutral light switch fell out of the selector 2 or three years ago, so the green neutral light is constantly on. A new neutral switch is expensive, so not worth me installing. I've never cracked the engine open (though the carb was rebuilt a few years ago). It has a "slightly modified" jetting that gets great gas mileage at the expense of top end power. Other than the jetting and the shock absorbers, it's completely stock.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0646s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0341s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]